Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what mmorpg is for me? UO / AO style

I really enjoyed UO (Ultima Online) and AO (Anarchy Online) for many years. Mainly because of the player interaction, fighting monsters in groups, instead of just leveling up, becoming more powerfull, etc. I don't really want to be motivated in building characters and so. Just playing in groups against monsters is what i want. Also, i liked pvp in UO, its just fun... Since now there are so many games out there, i have no idea what i want to play... UO has become outdated graphically, and AO has become to much obsessed with leveling... Either fantasy or sci-fi suits me just fine..

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Unfortunatly. There has been nothing coming that can even be remotelly compared to UO or AO in the last five years. The advanced character builder of AO, the thousands of different ways you could build "your" class, everything from crazy to pure genious, the thousands of different pieces of equipment, the thousands of combinations of implants you could use to enhance your characcter YOUR way. EVERYTHING released after that has been a joke characterwise, and not even worthy of the title RPG. Or the fastpaced, furious PvP of UO, also with a character builder that make YOU decide what class you want to play and with what skills, not some mindless drone in an office.

Future looks bleak as well... They did a consumer survey among gamers age 11-18, and they dont want advanced character builders or thousands of choices. They want to be the hero, they want to be Darth vader, Han Solo, or Legolas from level 1, and nothing else, so MMOs of the future will be 99.9% simplified, one skill tree per class, predesigned skills and equipment, all choices taken away from the player and given to the game creator.

They call it "Next generation"

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• PicklefootPicklefoot Member Posts: 218
    You should try City of Heroes, its really group based for missions, infact most you have to have a good group. People are really nice too, and talkative inside the instance. They have a free 14 day  trial going if you want a link here it is. http://www.cityofheroes.com/

--------------------------------------------------

• a1ex_f1a1ex_f1 Member Posts: 8
    Harafnir, what are you playing at the moment?
    Under NDA, CS:S, Voyage century, BF 2141, AO, Vampire Bloodlines, Planetside

Obviously AO you still play, but the others are mmorpgs too? Is AO worth coming back to, or is it like i expect it to be--level up hungry?
  • KeyouseKeyouse Member Posts: 49
    World of Warcraft: This game has really good PvE, with good quests. Being able to be in 10 - 40 man raids, and quite a bit of them too. The PvP in the game is good, but could be better. Although it is getting better and just revamped the PvP system with the new expansion, Burning Crusade. There is a lot of variety in gear, and you must also take this into mind. Can 8 million people go rong? If you play quite a bit you may reach the lvl max in 6 - 8 months. But then there are the big raids, getting good gear, and then PvP.

Dark Age of Camelot: This game is one of the best MMORPGs out there. The PvP is a constant battle between tons of castles and owns any other MMO in PvP. The game is around 5 years old so its lost some people, there are some bugs, and the engine is old. BUT it still is really good. The PvE is pretty good too. Main thing to look forward to is the RvR (realm vs realm), or PvP.

Warhammer Online: This game is going to be a lot like DAoC (Dark age of Camelot) for it is made by the same creators. The people are very good and now they have EA to back them up in money. You might say blek, EA will screw them up. But from what I have heard, they are letting them do pretty much what they want. For they know they are smart people and created a great before hand. This game has pretty good (some things look kind of like WoW graphics), but the rest is more realistic. Since it will be a lot like DAoC, it will be amazing. From where I am standing it looks like it will pretty much be DAoC... but with people. And the obvious better game play, not as many glitches, better RvR, and tons more. Thus being probably the best MMO ever created (in my opinion atleast). May even become the next "WoW".

Lineage 2: Oh what a tedious game. This game was meant for very hardcore players. For most people who have been playing since beta, it usually takes them (without botting, ebaying) 2 years of grinding your character. Plus the controls are kind of click, click, click, click. But later of you will be in castle sieges of hundreds to sometimes even thousands of players. The next expansion for it will make the game a lot better and add lots more to do in the game. Tons of people like it, tons don't. Its your stile of game play. Also, all the servers are open PvP. But with GREAT consequences, so you most of the time will not get killed as soon as you leave a town. If you play, one of the best servers in server 8. For it has less botters and ebayers. Enless you want to RP, then you choose
    Lionna for that is the un-official RP server. Which brings to mind that Lineage 2 has a lot of botters, ebayers because of the harsh price of gear, ect. And the grinding involved. But tons of people like this game, so don't take all the negative reviews of Lineage 2 and shut it down.

Also there is vanguard: SOH. But I have not played it yet, still trying to get a trial to check it out. But I have heard some pretty good stuff about it. Also very good graphics. Superb in my opinion.

You are very welcome and I hope you pick the appropriate MMO that suites you best! ^_^

Peace.

Not many normal MMOs right now, no. MMOs has been left in the dust of evolution and today if you want a fullfledged RPG with tons of content and advanced character development you have to look at the free singleplayer games. You actually pay monthly today to get a simpler, less advanced game with less content, something I find both sad and sickening, but.... that was what the consumer surveys told them to do. Always good to ask clueless kids that use their mommy credit card, what kind of games people are willing to pay for.

So... The one I cant talk about is an MMO, and yes just as simplified as the rest.

Counterstrike Source is a free first person shooter, 64man. Because I like to shoot people after a hard days work, blow off some steam.

Voyage Century is a free to play Chinese Pirate MMO, simplified yes, but at least I get to choose what I character can do, not someone else.

Battlefield 2142 is another free First person shooter in future setting, 64 man. More vehicles, tanks and planes, fun character development and wicked graphics.

AO is.. AO. The king of anything called RPG. Only freebie nowadays, no cost is nice and you can take your time just having fun.

Vampire BloodLines, is a singleplayer RPG. Its bit old, but it scares the bejeebuz outta me, it has a great feeling and i just reinstalled it for the fun of it.

Planetside. First person shooter MMO, of all strange things. Its fun, if a bit old, and free as well up to a certain level.

There is a simple reason I only play freebie games right now... Both Oblivion and NWN 2 blew the whole MMO market out of the water, and its not all about graphics, but what you can do, how much you can control, and just the way YOU decide how the game will evolve, not watch a predesigned path from the makers, like a really bad movie you have to roll forward by hand. I cant flipping belive peopple pay money today to have LESS of a game than free games. I know MMOS are new for a lot of people and they are not used to it, but i have played them since UO and I sure as hell wont pay 15 bucks a month for something that is a step back to games before MMOS even existed. Both UO and Everquest were tons more advanced than any game released the last three years, all games five years ago had tons more free content and upgrades as time progressed. Today?

You pay 15 dollars a month for two years so you can pay 40 bucks more for the one big content patch, relased in a shiny box. Stupidity at its finest.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Hey Alex, the makers of AO are creating something new

Its looking to be just as innovative as Anarchy Online was in its heyday, minus the botched launch.

AoC has a real time combat system in place of the "standard" autoattack and skillbar used by AO and countless others

The crafting system looks to be extremely well drawn out, and will in fact produce the best equipment in the game.

The background (from what we know of it) seems to be well deserving of FC's reputation for storywriting

The character development system is only a little bit less expansive in terms of sheer options than AO's was, favoring a multibranching feat system more than the array of upgradable skills

And possibly best of all, they have a significant focus on PvP, as opposed to slapping it on last minute.

Check the siggy for further details.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

Well, i have acquired Oblivion too, but it simply cannot compare to Daggerfall, since it is too well balanced. For some reasons i dont like balanced games too much, it is to liniear... I like to skip levels and make quantum leaps, keeping me far beyond anything else... That is... in single player games... Are there no mmorpgs that give the pleasure and addictiveness like UO no more? WoW i know is not for me, neither is City of Heroes... though i like the developers, it is to much action oriented...

I'm much more of an Fallout.. Daggerfall, Planescape Torment kind of person...

I can understand the view of developers these day's tho, but i can't believe there are no games catered to mature audiences... This is a huge group with plenty of money... There ought to be something...

Thanks for the reply's by the way...

You are right about Daggerfall, my girlfriend was absolutly in love with that, and she has a real hard time with its succesors. But you said another game that triggered me. The Fallout series... It is such an easy skill tree, but still with such a freedom in how you want your character to be. That, together with a fantastic scenario... Without a doubt my favorite RPG alltime...

Think I am gonna install Fallout Tactics right now, just because you mentioned them. Its time for some Apocalypso.

Somehow the link to Acolytes don't seem to work... I can click it ones, but nothing seems to happen... Is there any official page, or at least some preview somewhere? Thanks..
  • AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by a1ex_f1

Somehow the link to Acolytes don't seem to work... I can click it ones, but nothing seems to happen... Is there any official page, or at least some preview somewhere? Thanks..

Acolytes is the name of my guild.

Age of Conan was the game I meant

All the links seem to be working to me, but AoC's faq page is at "community.ageofconan.com"

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

Yes.... The Fallout series was just beautifull.. The humor, and indepth characters... the freedom... Just truly amazing.. Just sad that they had a louzy marketing department, just like Planescape Torment did... Lack of sales... Publishers only care about sales... oh well, some did great actually, like the Remake of Privateer (free), and Star control... also a fabulous game... great stuff indeed..

Star Control!! (I really need to stop reading this thread, you are triggerign me each time. We must have played exactyl the same games. :D)

My god.. I had completly forgotten about the first Star Control. If the Vanguard developers just installed Star Control for ten minutes then they would pull the plug on their whole diplomacy "feature" Amazingly funny to run into a new alien life form and try to persuade them to.. well do anything, really. That game had me laughing like a loonie in front of the monitor.

Ok, I am out of here... I am just repeating what you say all the time :)

Ill look into that Age of Conan... It seems quite interesting indeed... Thanks for that.
    Ahh.. yes... jewels are easily recognised :)