Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: Dev Log Features Avatar Update

Pirates of the Burning Sea's latest Dev Log gives us a look at the avatar upgardes that have been added to the game.

Avatars are a big topic for us these days. A few months back we took a look at the state of the art in our game and realized something interesting: we were getting a lot better at what we were doing. The environments, lighting, ships, animation and overall vision of the world evolved dramatically over time. But we hadn't revisited our characters and as the rest of the game's look advanced, they became more and more noticeably out of place. We decided we needed to take a new approach to the avatars that would better fit with all the great work we were doing in the rest of the game.

Read more about the new Avatars for Pirates of the Burning Sea here.

Comments

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
         Now thats what I call a noticeable improvement! Honestly I have alot of hope for flying labs. Really seems like they have a flexible team of programmers and Model Artists. Next Im curious to see if they carry out the same improvements on the water effects. Mind you there great as is. Alot of the improvements they learned to do for the charecter models can be done to water too. Anywho Keep UP THE GREAT WOOORK!! WOHOO!
  • TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295
    I really wasn't very interested in PotBS until I read about the Avatar gameplay that would be in the game.  I didn't want another mmorpg where I was a vehicle, like Eve Online or Auto Assault.  Being able to play an avatar in a mmorpg like this is great, and the improvements to avatars are a welcome addition!  The attention to detail will go a long way in making Flying Labs a real contender in the mmorpg space.
  • 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Their dev logs are not only interesting in terms of PotBS, but interesting regardless. I always learn a few things about game development from them.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• Wow a company that doesn't think we are complete idiots, I must say I am very impressed. Its kinda nice to see a company explain why things are they way they are due to technical limitations or advancements.
  • PretaPreta Member Posts: 103
    How is it that they can afford to be fine-tuning thier game so much?  It's looking incredibly polished to me, and they just keep adding more and more detail, when I'd have thought they'd be forced to get it out the door quite a while ago.  Not that I'm complaining, but compared to so many MMOs, especially ones developed by smaller companies, it's like "which one's not like the others..."
  • jdvarmitjdvarmit Member Posts: 7
    Very impressive and the new avatars should be quite a treat in game. It is nice to actually have a dev, not only tell us what it being improved, but to explain it also. That definitely takes the edge off of waiting for the release. I still want PotBS now but I would rather wait for a polished product than be disappointed while waiting for a patch or upgrade.
  • smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252
    WoW...all i have to say is good job on improvement! Those really are updated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.