Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats lotr have that vanguard dont, honestly asking!!

Comments

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394
    *edit*

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• Jokel2Jokel2 Member Posts: 27
    Everything i've read about LOTR online sounds boring =/. You can only be the good races, what is up with that?
  • SojuSoju Member UncommonPosts: 24
    In my honest opinon, it's a total let down. The graphics are below current standards. I just think some other company should have gotten this title. I have little faith in Turbine. It's a shame that one company is going to be allowed to ruin both D&D and LOTR.
  • sniper48101sniper48101 Member Posts: 93
    I am qualified to make a comparision. I will say that alot of the imformation in this thread about Lotro is completely wrong.  Comparing graphics... I'd say Vanguard wins for variety and sense of mystery. So many things in Vanguard to come across and say "WTH is that" (in a good way of course). Now on the lore comparision...sure Lotro has a vast and complete epic story that I'm sure we all love. But.... to be honest... I find myself more interested in a epic story I know nothing about yet.

Yes Vanguard is harder and has a much more complex combat system. this could be bad or good depending on how complex you like your games. I myself love everything complex and love to have moments where something happens that I didnt expect in combat and find surprises constantly.  But for Lotro to be fair has a very straight forward cleaner combat. It enables you to pretty much get a handle on your abilities and pretty much apply them to any encounter you come across.

As far as the balancing of classes in Vanguard... They are very balanced and extremely different. There is absolutely nothing in commen between the classes. And in the different races each having unique abilities and traits with points to allocate and it gets even more individual. Lotro has a nice distinction between classes as well but this may be mostly due to the small limit of races and classes. But in Lotro they all do fill the roles nicely with some very interesting differences. For my tastes though, I like the diversity Vanguard offers.

I've tried to stay very open minded about both games so far but as far as the crafting and other misc. paths or non-combat side of the game... Vanguard without a doubt is vastly ahead of Lotro here. But, on a good note... Lotro is vastly ahead of alot of the current mmo's available.

Lastly, yes Vanguard is much more hardcore and you will not have a easy (Wow) time for 50 levels. This is a prerequisite for me though. I am not even a hardcore player. Hell I played EQ1 for 4 years and never made it past level 42. Never higher than 38 in Wow. Highest in EQ2 was 29. Never been in a guild and play maybe 10 hours in a good week. To be honest though.... I cant stand anything handed to me regardless of my play time. I have NO problem whatso ever with some people plying in mega-guilds for 60 hours a week having super swords of death. They earned it (debatable I guess).

Some people will claim that Vanguard is too much like work. I just got home from work about 30 minutes ago and trust me.... Vanguard is nothing like it. Remember, its all moving around little pixels on a screen. Nothing more, nothing less.  On a side note for the people that was saying Vanguard is so much like EQ1.... I can only say...Thank God!

p.s. All grammar and/or spelling errors are the sole responsibility and fault of Detroit public schools.
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Have to say I am not excited by the prospect of either. Niether sound that groundbreaking. I did enjoy AC1 (particularly when I switched to Darktide) but would need to have a lot of persuasion to play another McQuaid game.  I guess both have a 6month (or more jump) on the real interesting titles (Conan, Warhammer, Darkfall in my opinion).
  • KurgenKurgen Member Posts: 26
    I got an invite to the LOTR beta stress test this coming weekend a few days ago, and i will honestly say i never even entertained the idea of participating.Everything i have seen, heard, and read about the game looks weak,boring, and outdated.With so many new high profile mmo's coming out and on the drawing board i really expected Turbine to do ALOT  better, especially with this license.

What a letdown.
  • TrandTrand Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Kurgen

I got an invite to the LOTR beta stress test this coming weekend a few days ago, and i will honestly say i never even entertained the idea of participating.Everything i have seen, heard, and read about the game looks weak,boring, and outdated.With so many new high profile mmo's coming out and on the drawing board i really expected Turbine to do ALOT  better, especially with this license.

What a letdown.
    How can you call a game a letdown when you have yet to even try it? Or do you always base your actions on what everyone else says and does?

DOAC is still the MMO I judge other games by, My first and still my favorite.

• keolienkeolien Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Soju

In my honest opinon, it's a total let down. The graphics are below current standards. I just think some other company should have gotten this title. I have little faith in Turbine. It's a shame that one company is going to be allowed to ruin both D&D and LOTR.
    I totally agree with you! I lost faith with Turbine when they released D&D.

• KurgenKurgen Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Trand

What a letdown.
    How can you call a game a letdown when you have yet to even try it? Or do you always base your actions on what everyone else says and does?

I HAVE seen the LOTR beta in action quite a few times.Just ecause I don't participate in the beta doesn't mean someone i know, and/or someone i might live with, isn't in the LOTR beta(they are).I've seen,heard, and read enough to know that compared to Vanguard(been in beta since 3 ) and other mmo's of similar type that are currently out, LOTR in it's current beta form is EXTREMELY weak next to the rest.

Turbine has the license to the biggest fantasy property of the last ten years at least.Expectations were bound to be high, but considering what's been done with it so far, it' won't even live up to moderate expectations.AMy opnion of it(thus far), stands.They've still got a few months.Hopefully they'll make ALOT of improvements.
  • quietwolfquietwolf Member Posts: 79

What a letdown.

I HAVE seen the LOTR beta in action quite a few times.Just ecause I don't participate in the beta doesn't mean someone i know, and/or someone i might live with, isn't in the LOTR beta(they are).I've seen,heard, and read enough to know that compared to Vanguard(been in beta since 3 ) and other mmo's of similar type that are currently out, LOTR in it's current beta form is EXTREMELY weak next to the rest.

Turbine has the license to the biggest fantasy property of the last ten years at least.Expectations were bound to be high, but considering what's been done with it so far, it' won't even live up to moderate expectations.AMy opnion of it(thus far), stands.They've still got a few months.Hopefully they'll make ALOT of improvements.

I too know of people in LOTRO beta and have seen it being played. I've also played open beta Vanguard.

From both those sources of experience, I have to say...

LOTRO is the better of the two.

"Whosoever shed last blood
    By man shall his blood be shed
    For immunity of God make he the man
    Destroy all that which is evil
    So that which is good may flourish
    And I shall count thee among my favored sheep
    And you shall have the protection of all the angels in Heaven."

• roadwarriorsroadwarriors Member Posts: 218
    Lord of the rings will be more successful because it has more fanbois...but vangaurd is decent.
  • AbelDCAbelDC Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by quietwolf

What a letdown.

I too know of people in LOTRO beta and have seen it being played. I've also played open beta Vanguard.

From both those sources of experience, I have to say...

LOTRO is the better of the two.

Agreed and from what i've seen LotRO has about the same graphics with much less drain on your system ( granted i got fed up with Vanguard a while ago so idk if that has been fully fixed) and that's not even talking about the animations which killed me in Vanguard to me LotRo seems like the world itself would be more immersive than that of Vanguard just looks more real to me i suppose
  • RumorsRumors Member Posts: 161
    Why doesn't LOTRO let you play evil races?

Because it is a 3rd party IP, meaning not owned by Turbine, any choices they make for content (well, most I imagine) have to be cleared through the owner of the IP itself.  If the original IP owner does not want you to play an Evil race, they will veto the idea and if pressed, can possibly pull the plug on the game itself.

I think they came up with a great compremise for allowing people to play evil races.

Now you can go back to bitching about how Turbine, SoE, whoever ruined your dream game of a specific IP, but you don't know the contractual facts, probably have no clue about how to negotiate and develop a 3rd party IP.  Think before you whine.

Vanguard can do more with their world.  They own it lock, stock and barrel.  And SoE has contributed a lot to the development, and it has been stated that SoE loaned then artists and developers to finish the game enough to be considered for going Gold.
  • dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Going back to the original thread these games are radically different in approach.  I am playing Vanguard and enjoying it but then again I loved EQ1 and M59 and other old school MMO games.  Vanguard is what I suspect the real evolution of EQ should have been. LOTR is under NDA for Beta so I can't say much other then it is great but very, very different the Vanguard. I will be playing both until Conan comes around then I will make a decision on which to stick with after that.

Vanguard is deep and a little hardcore but really great. Graphics are solid and the game has LOTS of choices in regards to characters. The different regions have a distinct feel to them so while playing a Ranger in one area is technically the same the race and region do make it feel different.  The world is huge and conceptually this is a great game to develop a true heroic character in. We shall see as (post beta) I am not that high level yet.

• DMorvickDMorvick Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Jackdog

I think that this topic would be better addressed when LoTRO is in open beta or released. Right now all we can do is speculate about LoTRO. Screen shots could be deceptive and game play is what really counts. Right now we know that Vanguard is not all that but anything about LoTRO is either speculation,  or just someone talking out their butt wanting us to think they are/were in beta. I am sure neither game will be for everyone since no game or game play style will satisfy everyone.

I have to agree.  This will be a much better topic once NDA is lifted and more people are allowed to form their own opinions in the Open Beta.

As a inane comment from a jaded MMO player, I have no expectations of a game except what is placed before me.  I have been let down to many times by hype or otherwise to say whether a particular game will hit a cord with me or not.  I have not been impressed with an MMO since DAoC but my tastes are not everyones.  If you enjoy Vanguard go play it and be happy, if you think you will enjoy LOTRO give it shot and be happy.   I fail to understand the concept of how constant Game X > Game Y serves any purpose other than to cause Flame Wars. 

OP- I understand that you are doing research to see which game you might like to go to.  But my best advice honestly is to try both if you are able and pick the one that is right for you.  Most games have free trials or pre-order open beta, use them to form your own opinion.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

They are two totally different games, with different playstyle. I find that LOTRO has far superior graphics than Vanguard, and that Vanguard combat is weak. Vanguard has a huge world to explore and grind in and has more races to choose from.  Flying mounts are cool and LOTRO does not offer that. I like Lotro better, but I have been hooked on Tolkien ever since I read the books 20 some years ago.  Monster play is also a fun path to follow in LOTRO.

I cancelled my sub to Vanguard for it's 2 cents worth. I think you should try them both and decide for yourself which is better suited to your playstyle. LOTRO will be open beta soon.

• DraedanDraedan Member Posts: 12
    I would have to agree with many of the previous posters here.  The only way to know which you would enjoy playing the most will be to try them both. 

I played in the Vanguard beta and now in the release - and I am also currently playing in the LOTRO closed beta.  Both have appealing features and enjoyable gameplay, but are fairly different in several ways (hampered by NDA here...). 

For myself, I will play both but, that being said...I am currently enjoying (and spending more time playiing) the LOTRO beta than the Vanguard release.  This may change as Vanguard matures and my likes and dislikes may not be the same as yours.  I'm sure that once the NDA is up on LOTRO you will be able to gather more information about its gameplay and features.

I don't know if this helps anyone who is trying to decide between the two, but there it is.
  • aogvortexaogvortex Member Posts: 10

Well, I've played Vanguard and am enjoying it to death.  My biggest draw is the size of the world - not just empty space, though.  It's fully detailed and populated.

Reading the official FAQs on Turbine's LOTRO site I see they say the world - the ENTIRE world - is only 50,000,000 square meters.  That's a box 7Km on a side, or - for the Vanguard players - 12.5 chunks (a chunk in Vanguard is 2 x 2 Km.  There are HUNDREDS in the game world.

DDO lost me because of it's limited size and zoning (among other things).  LOTRO won't be attempted by me because of its limited size, unless something comes out (perhaps after the NDA's lifted) that REALLY impresses me.

Vanguard knocked my socks off since day one (in since beta 4).  It comes closest of any game so far to deliver everything I've looked for in a MMO.  It's the ONLY game of any kind I've ever been impressed enough with that I preordered it.

Vortex

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

First before i address your long winded post. Your whole Short-medium game of life ... is a joke. How long the game lasts depends on how the devs expand it post launch. your whole "the combat makes you think" bussiness is also rather funny, serious. Vanguard is some bush league crap... it shouldnt even be released. The game has some of the worst animations that i have EVER seen in ANY game i have EVER played... hope this point gets across... The combat system is by far, one of the worst systems i have EVER seen in ANY rpg... I mean sht man, you might as well just stand there and roll dice.

Now to be honest, I am a FFXI player and i am not a fan of either SoH or Lotor... but i will say this, Lotor is polished and that alone makes it better then this heap of .... well w/e

lolvanguard

Originally posted by tomfred81

This is an excellent question, one that i myself was wrestling with a month ago-which game would I play? LOTRO or Vanguard Saga of Heroes?  And here is the answer: LOTRO doesnt have much that Vanguard doesnt-its really the other way around.  Vanguard has tons that LOTRO doesn't...allow me to elaborate

LOTRO                                                                      Vanguard Saga of Heroes

well followed story and lore, die hard fans                       new make believe world, die hard EQ fans

4 races                                                                      19 races

7 classes                                                                    15 classes

1 continent                                                                3 continents

big world                                                                    enormous world-biggest ever

short-medium game lifespan                                          7 years of planned content

die-durability penalty                                                     die, have to retrieve your corpse

button mashing combat                                                combat system that will require thinking

fast travel                                                                   intervals of fast travel, but mostly on your own

no mounts at launch                                                    mounts at lvl 10, better mounts as u progress

again no mounts at launch                                            flying mounts you can direct and fly anywhere

again, just walking and fast travel                                   can craft and own boats (can name them too)

no player housing                                                         player housing at launch (can sell wares in home)

instanced                                                                    seamless world, can go anywhere u can see

different PvP-monster play                                             straightforward PvP, but offer PvE servers too

easier gameplay                                                            challenging gameplay, harder for a noob

crafting system as well as adventuring                              spheres of adventuring, crafting, & diplomacy

average character creation                                             many features to make your character unique

Gosh, and this is just off the top of my head.  Lets just say from what I've "seen" of LOTRO over the last month I will not be playing LOTRO at launch.  Even looking at ebay last week, LOTRO beta keys were goin for like $40 and Vanguard beta keys for like $200 a shot and they had been bid on multiple times...im not even kidding.  Tells you something right there.  Vanguard is the game that I am going to invest my time and money in.  Preordered it from GameSpot the other day. :)

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• TarValonTarValon Member Posts: 59

Well VG and LotRO have different styles of gameplay.  Vanguard is more the traditional mmorpg that you are used to (ie. High Fantasy).  I give Turbine credit for adhering to the storyline.  LotRO is limited by the nature of its story., whereas VG can do anything it wants.  Basically, I think if you like to play WoW, you will really like LotRO.  If you absolutely hate WoW, then VG is your cup of tea.  Be advised though, to play VG will require an uber system.  Not so with LotRO.

No worries, LotRO will be out soon.....

• XardoffXardoff Member Posts: 1

I did beta for both, and I have to say from a sheer enjoyment standpoint LOTRO was quite lovely and grabbed my attention almost immediately.  Vanguard seemed somehow 'lifeless' if you can pardon the obvious pun.  Granted, a beta isn't standard play, but even so the LOTRO beta had more people interacting with one another than in Vanguard.

The graphics/system/optimization issues with Vanguard, as everyone has previously noted, will really hinder its ability to be marketable to the masses.  LOTRO, visually, was quite striking.  I'm not sure why some people have denigrated that graphics of that game..  and a player can actually enjoy the visuals without the slide-show effect I had with Vanguard (yes it was beta but the difference between the two is astronomical - and I have a pretty powerful system I use for music production). 

The lore that each is based upon is different, and I do think the games will appeal to different demographics.  But I'm wondering if everyone is over-intellectualizing this whole issue; frankly, people will play games that are fun, are visually appealing, and that run well on their systems - this describes LOTRO at the moment and not Vanguard.

P

• antiXaantiXa Member Posts: 8
    Yeh I just bought Vanguard and its not really as good as the hype was meant to be makes me kinda lose my faith in Pre-Order
  • maguskwtmaguskwt Member Posts: 17
    I think if i were the dev I would've made the timeline of the game after the events of LOTR...then you don't have to be fixed to an existing story but at the same time make use of the lore of LOTR
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by antiXa

Yeh I just bought Vanguard and its not really as good as the hype was meant to be makes me kinda lose my faith in Pre-Order
    so do the public open beta starting April 06. The game may or may not be your cup of tea. If you don't like to download supposedly brick and mortar stores will have pre order packages on the shelves later this month. Last time I pre ordered a game was EQII and I think the preorder disk was 5 bucks over at EB in the mall.

I miss DAoC

• KemenlithKemenlith Member Posts: 263
    Originally posted by maguskwt

I think if i were the dev I would've made the timeline of the game after the events of LOTR...then you don't have to be fixed to an existing story but at the same time make use of the lore of LOTR
    OMFG! Are you stupid? Have you even read the books? The elves LEAVE Middle Earth after Sauron is defeated! Dwarves and Hobbits will fade away over time and Man will be the only race left! Seriously, if you are going to make a comment think about what you type before you hit reply.

Currently: Playing EVE Online
    Previous: FFXI, Dragonrealms, sad little stint in WOWland.
    Awaiting: Fallen Earth, Hero''s Journey, Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan.