Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tweak this! Tweak that!

I started playing Vanguard at prerelease and Im having a lot of fun with it. The thing that bugs me however is the performance. I do understand that with my computerspecs it is my risk to take (see below), but why does the freaking game start default at almost the highest settings? It clearly doesnt check my computerspecs with starting up the first time.

But what is even worse, is that I have to make changes in vgclient.ini to get better performance! Why the hell are those options not in the game?!

In my case I discovered that my onboard sounddevice was the performance clog. Turning it off made my 5fps in town go up to 20fps! Outside town I already had 20+fps and turning sound on or off only made 5fps difference. If onl y I would be able to turn off the seperate soundchannels (environmental, combat, footsteps, voices etc) instead of turning all on or off, then it would be at least efficient.

My setup:

A64 3000+

1Gb memory (is going to 2Gb soon)

nvidia 6800GT 128mb

onboard sound (A brand soundcard soon)

harddisk

Ive only seen one game with a similar inefficient performing gameclient which is called Everquest II.

Apart from this and with the sound turned off untill I get my new soundcard and memory upgrade, Im having a blast. Finally a new MMORPG with interesting crafting again.

Comments

• dandy230dandy230 Member UncommonPosts: 116
    You don't say?

I'm also stuck with using a pos on-board sound since my audigy gave up on me.
  • AbraxosAbraxos Member Posts: 412
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I started playing Vanguard at prerelease and Im having a lot of fun with it. The thing that bugs me however is the performance. I do understand that with my computerspecs it is my risk to take (see below), but why does the freaking game start default at almost the highest settings? It clearly doesnt check my computerspecs with starting up the first time.

But what is even worse, is that I have to make changes in vgclient.ini to get better performance! Why the hell are those options not in the game?!

In my case I discovered that my onboard sounddevice was the performance clog. Turning it off made my 5fps in town go up to 20fps! Outside town I already had 20+fps and turning sound on or off only made 5fps difference. If onl y I would be able to turn off the seperate soundchannels (environmental, combat, footsteps, voices etc) instead of turning all on or off, then it would be at least efficient.

My setup:

A64 3000+

1Gb memory (is going to 2Gb soon)

nvidia 6800GT 128mb

onboard sound (A brand soundcard soon)

harddisk

Ive only seen one game with a similar inefficient performing gameclient which is called Everquest II.

Apart from this and with the sound turned off untill I get my new soundcard and memory upgrade, Im having a blast. Finally a new MMORPG with interesting crafting again.

Please petition and post this ingame. I agree with you. I love the game but I really wish I didn't have to be a techie to play it. The game should see my card, memory, and processor and (drum-roll) give me a workable settings mode.

I've also heard that it isn't reading dual core PCs to it's full capacity. I've read about alot of people posting on forums about buying dual core PCs for this game. They should benefit from it.

• Masta22Masta22 Member Posts: 298
    My computer specs are p4 3.6ghz, 2 Gb ram, ATI radeon x850XT PE .  Should vanguard run well on these specs?
  • OpticaleyeOpticaleye Member Posts: 498
    This is exactly why i will not be playing this mmo.It seems as if the player with an "average" system will not be able to enjoy this title.Play it yes but enjoy it?

Doubtful.

Ive read on these forums about tweaking performance.I shouldnt have to do this in order to play a game.Adjust sliders to get better frame rates is acceptable to me,turning off certain elements and even turning down certain environmental shaders as well.

But most of the responses to low framerates ive read are nothing short of "get a new computer loser" or add more memory and get a $500.00 video card.So now to play a "game that is the next generation" we need to buy new systems?

Hmm i find it interesting as well that in order to run "Vista" you practically need to get a new computer as well.

I hate to say it but Blizzard had the right idea.Design a game engine that will run on low end,average and high end systems.As far as im concerned they deserve to have 8 million customers with that kind of plan.

Ill keep my 50 bucks.Id rather be outside in a park on the weekend anyway.

What is your physical limit?