Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Preview Videos!

MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

We have 3 preview videos from the EA/Mythic press event Jon Wood and Garrett Fuller are currently attending. They look great so check them out!

image WAR Video Preview: Scenery
Slow things down and enjoy the gorgeous landscapes in this upcoming MMO!
image WAR Video Preview: Realm vs. Realm
Follow a band of Greenskins(orcs and goblins) as they PvP a group of dwarves!
image WAR Video Preview: Bright Wizard
The Bright Wizard doing what he does best, nuking!

You can view all of the videos here

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Comments

• VideoXPGVideoXPG Member Posts: 268
    I wonder if this means the January newsletter is right around the corner. Since last month they said this newletter would reveal the Chaos Melee DPS career.
  • admiralnlsonadmiralnlson Member UncommonPosts: 240

argh, they don't looks so good. Hope it's only cause they're from the pre-alpha.

---
    Waiting for: GW2
    *thumbs up*: GW, Eve(, WoW)
    *thumbs down*: MO, GA, FE

• undiesusaundiesusa Member Posts: 116
    Maybe you all should go watch the new darkfall video.

Warhammer will be trash.
  • MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by undiesusa

Warhammer will be trash.
    We have that too! http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/videos/gameID/4

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• willettwillett Member Posts: 4

I looked at all the videos and I still like WAR better.  The textures are nicer and the Dwarfs look better.  I know you are saying WAR will be trash because it's not hardcore PvP.  Ever heard of Shadowbane?  Best not to count one's chickens on that score.

Is 400 people from three realms on a single relic keep not hardcore enough for you?  That battle crashed the poor Nimue server in DAoC with too many people in the zone.  That my friend is RvR at its best and I'm betting WAR will have the same fun factor to it.

• SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194
    I'm sorry to say it but Warhammers comabt doesnt look at..uh..attractive?
  • SinuousSinuous Member Posts: 58
    While I have no doubt this game will be what WoW should have been, I'm still not interested in the hilariously disproportioned cartoonish graphics.  I think I'll wait for PoTBS and then migrate to Age of Badass....I mean Conan.
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    The bright wizard could take a line from The Mask, "Thatsa one spicey Meataball!"
  • outthislifeoutthislife Member Posts: 115
    @swgforevva

Of course the combat is a bit iffy right now. It's ALPHA; use some common sense will you?

@willett

WAR is all about PvP. That's it's game, how can it not be hardcore?

@undieusa

Congratulations, I now know your opinion. However you don't need to state it as it WILL be because that's just your opinion. To make a less ass out of yourself, add an "imo" or something along the lines of that.

Unless, you really are a dumb ass.
  • tarsustarsus Member Posts: 13
    Hopefully they make pvp look a little more fun.  It seems like they just stand around and swing or cast most of the time.  Looks more like pve than pvp.  They have time though, hopefully they'll use it wisely heh.
  • SinizterSinizter Member Posts: 85
    the game is in PRE ALPHA .. everyone calm down.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and it is 100% fatal.

• rATIxrATIx Member Posts: 67
    So they should run around their opponent and jump at the same time to make it look more like pvp?
  • AdrianSAdrianS Member Posts: 14
    i don`t know maybe it is the pre alpha, but these videos let me think of WAR as a WOW spin-off.
  • DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496
    I remember watching these videos a long time ago except the bright wizard. =/.

On the comment about standing still, I remember seeing a video with some players playing at one of the game shows and pvp was more like WoW. They were moving around each other and "dance" a lot. I sure hope the pvp going to not just be standing still melee each other to death.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Meddle

Originally posted by undiesusa

Warhammer will be trash.
    We have that too! http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/videos/gameID/4 I really dont know if this is the right place to post/ask it. But is it possible to add a Download Option for your new video section?

Or is it even possible now, and i am just dont know how?
  • DitchdiggerDitchdigger Member Posts: 8
    PvP in WAR is going to be MUCH more elaborate, complex and strategic than anything you've ever seen in an MMORPG.  If you read the dev interviews you'll see just how much effort they're putting into making the game all about PvP -- it's not going to be "Hey, my eight guys can beat your eight guys when we wander into you in the middle of the woods," it's going to be full-scale epic fantasy warfare on the order of the Helm's Deep scenes from Lord of the Rings.  Not even in the same ballpark as PvP in WoW.

I do wish they'd come up with some better videos, though.  What we're seeing here sure doesn't look epic.  We've got five-second snippets of some 2-on-2 battles in the middle of the zone... that just doesn't express what WAR is all about.  People who haven't played Warhammer Fantasy Battles aren't going to "get" the concept by looking at that stuff.  If you can't show epic battles yet, how about some dramatic narration?  Maybe those orcs on a covert mission to take out the supports under a dwarven bridge just as the dwarven supply train is coming in?    How did the dwarves discover their plan before it was too late?  At the least let Paul Barnett do a voiceover; he got my blood pumping at Games Day last year just with the excitement that oozes out when he talks.  :)  Some music would add to the effect as well.  These may be one-off "Hey, here's what it looks like right now pre-alpha" videos but they're the only marketing videos you've got right now aside from the cinematic trailer.  You might as well have one of your artists take a couple hours to pretty them up.

--Ditchdigger
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Looks like WoW
  • paadepaade Member Posts: 471
    landscape looked good but nothing to get exited about. The combat looked like a warhammer cartoon meets 70's disco and they have a baby named WAR. It was horrible, to put it simple.

I never looked WAR as a MMO to wait for and after seeing its combat im even less so.

Its still in alpha yes, but i doubt they will suddenly do 180 and change very much before launch.
  • neverhoodyneverhoody Member Posts: 10
    This game will rawk! I am 100% sure. This is an article from curse gaming from the latest press release. Look at the bottom and you will find 2 RvR videos that are actually in game, it looks alot better than the offical videos..

http://war-en.curse-gaming.com/previews/745/ea-mythic-press-event-warhammer-online-unleashed/
  • tarsustarsus Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by rATIx

So they should run around their opponent and jump at the same time to make it look more like pvp?
    Your sarcasm is brilliant.  Oh wait, except for the fact that real combat is more exciting than this video is.  Have you ever watched fencing or kendo?  The only time they don't move a lot is when they are out of range.  I've never seen any battle where two people just stand on the same squarefoot and hope their hits hit and their opponents miss.  Given they are using axes instead of swords, but it still looks like a zoomed in RTS instead of an MMO.  I'm not asking for them to be jumping around like TFC or something, but at least some sidestepping, and forward and reverse swings.  But like I said, they have time and hopefully they'll use it wisely.

Edit:  That video from the article posted was a lot better even if it was just a few seconds.  I'd still like to see two melee people go at it and see how it looks though.  It seemed like the he only moved because the other guy ran lol.
  • DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Bottom line is that it is still in alpha. We know nothing of the video except it is supposed to show combat working. We don't know if those were AI with only a few people playing or what. If you go look at the video blogs then you will see a lot better stuff like the choppa, there you get your special attack that looks destructive. Not all animations are in yet, not all graphics are in yet, and they aren't even finished with most of the spells/abilities. You can't showcase what you don't have finished. If you watch the engineer video you can hear it straight from a devs mouth, "Whys that guy still moving even though he is stickied?" "Because we are in Alpha".

Anyways as for the topic of PvP games, Warhammer will be the PvP game. This is comming from Mythic so I already know that it will be fun all around. It has a massive IP behind it, it has a massive company behind it, and it has a well known developer behind it. Everything I have seen thus far has only increased my intrest in the game.

• diaboyosdiaboyos Member Posts: 209
    So far the scenery looks very nice but the combat is lacking.  Just standing there whacking each other until one of you dies is not appealing.  They still have work to do.  Remaining hopeful!

====================
    Remember man that passes by,
    as you are now so once was I.
    And as I am so must you be,
    prepare yourself to follow me.

• PretaPreta Member Posts: 103

In that video, I thought Darkfall looked a little too much like a FPS.  Or, FPH&S?  I love a good action game, but it's not what I'm hoping for in WAR.

I haven't read anything about WAR to suggest that they're making the combat heavily twitch-based.  That doesn't mean click&wait EQ combat, I'm hoping it's very involved, but not with all sorts of circle-strafing, dodging, and aiming or anything like that.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701
    Is it just me or was the Sound kind screwed up...

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    Originally posted by tarsus

Originally posted by rATIx

Your sarcasm is brilliant.  Oh wait, except for the fact that real combat is more exciting than this video is.  Have you ever watched fencing or kendo?  The only time they don't move a lot is when they are out of range.  I've never seen any battle where two people just stand on the same squarefoot and hope their hits hit and their opponents miss.  Given they are using axes instead of swords, but it still looks like a zoomed in RTS instead of an MMO.  I'm not asking for them to be jumping around like TFC or something, but at least some sidestepping, and forward and reverse swings.  But like I said, they have time and hopefully they'll use it wisely.

Edit:  That video from the article posted was a lot better even if it was just a few seconds.  I'd still like to see two melee people go at it and see how it looks though.  It seemed like the he only moved because the other guy ran lol.

Unless you're watching a movie, fencers stay in the same roughly 3 or 4 square feet.  Also in kendo, you wouldn't move too much either unless you're in a choreographed movie.  You'd leave yourself too vulnerable.  The main movements are swinging and changes of stance. 

When you fence you barely even move your arm.  It's all in the wrist and forearm. 

There are also positional attacks in the game, so I think sidestepping and strafing will be more seen down the road.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.