Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Latest Edition of SWG Comlink

Star Wars Galaxies latest edition to the Comlink helps characters work on building their buffs.

Build-a-Buff is a new system of Inspiration Buff that replaces the existing system and gives Entertainers the ability to provide unique, custom buffs for their customers. Entertainers will be able to select from a wide range of modifiers and effects which are combined to create a single buff tailored to the needs of their patron.

This new Inspiration System is easy to use for both the Entertainer and the patron. Similar to the way it operates now, the patron first "watches" or "listens" to the Entertainer. If the Entertainer wishes to inspire their patron, they use their "Inspire" command with the patron targeted.

This will bring up the Build-a-Buff interface. A list of modifiers and effects are displayed, organized by categories. The Entertainer can then begin selecting the effects they wish to apply. Most effects can be stacked multiple times for greater benefit. Entertainers have a limited number of "Buff Points" to spend on creating their buff and the cost of different effects vary.

The Entertainer may also enter a credit cost for the service in the window. When the Entertainer is finished, she hits the "Accept" button. The Patron sees a window listing the effects that will be applied and the credit cost. If they find the offer agreeable, they may also hit "Accept". The buff is applied with the listed effects and credits automatically and securely transferred to the Entertainer.

The Build-a-Buff Inspiration System is available to all Entertainers. For those who wish to specialize in Inspiration, Expertise Points can be spent to increase the number of "Buff Points" to spend to allow more modifiers and effects to be applied. In addition, Expertise are also available for purchase that will allow the Entertainer access to special packages that allow different and more powerful effects to be added to their custom buffs.

A wide range of effects means there's something for Entertainers to offer everyone regardless of class or level. This easy to use, robust system will give Entertainers an exciting and lucrative new way to please their customers.

Read more here.

Comments

• Runny123Runny123 Member Posts: 177
    /deathblow swg
  • capnjoshcapnjosh Member Posts: 14
    I think the buff design idea is pretty cool.  Good work.  Granted many parts of the rest of the game utilize uncool ideas....
  • NevarionNevarion Member Posts: 274
    Horrible idea. Is creative but doesn't work judging from pre-CU point of view. So I might be wrong. Yet I strongly disbelieve there will be enough activity or numbers to gain a advantage on both sides of players.
  • boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    reminds me of build a taco buffet bar down the road.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

My very first character, when SWG came out, was a dancer.  It was pretty cool.  Ohh, I should reactivate my account and play her again, with these new entertainer enchancements.  Oh wait, I almost forgot, I didnt create an entertainer to play as a buffbot.  Dang, I guess this update does nothing for me. 

Do you think it does anything for any players who have a entertainer character?  Does it make the game more fun for them?  Does it make them wanted any more by other players than they were when they gave standard buffs?  To be honest I think the entertainers would be happier with a few new dances or a new song.  Maybe something like AC2 or LOTRo's /music where you can create your own songs?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• BeeryBeery Member Posts: 184

I've been an entertainer since launch back in July 2003.  I've quit three times because I felt the game was headed in the wrong direction.  I resubscribed three times because no other game has any entertainer content at all.

In my view this 'build a buff' system is potentially a huge leap forward.  While it's true that on the face of it it only caters to those folks who need buffs, it sounds like it will actually simplify the service we provide while also making our knowledge of the buff system worthy of respect.

Personally, I think this has the potential to turn the game around in terms of entertainers.  One great thing is that an interface comes up that shows the buffee exactly what our service will provide - that creates respect right there - the kind of respect that has been lacking in the game.

Now sure, they could mess this up - but usually I have a pretty good nose for SOE garbage.  This looks like a winner to me.  Heck, we might even be able to enjoy entertaining again.  In fact I'm already hearing mumblings from some combat folks who say it might make them consider making an entertainer character for the first time.  If it can do that there has to be something good about it.

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542
    For the love of all that is holy, let this game die!!!

• ghash7ghash7 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by airborne519

Amen!
  • KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

Hmm..this sounds oddly frimilliar..

*Goes to play Bard in Vanguard*

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• st.patrickst.patrick Member Posts: 10
    i havent played since the NGE......but...hasn't this been out since the CU??
  • BeeryBeery Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by airborne519

I think it's amusing that certain people on this forum who don't play the game anymore often seem desperate to stop those who DO enjoy it from playing it.  I mean spite has its uses, and I've spent as much time as anyone lambasting poor development decisions, but this is ridiculous.  Let it go already.  If you're annoyed by how the game let you down, the people to responsible are working at SOE and LA.  I think you ought to stop wasting your ire on your fellow players.
  • blade55555blade55555 Member Posts: 100
    I Amw ith you there.  On my opinion I thought SWG rocked.  Was the first MMORPG I thought was worth the money to subscribe to.  I mean common World of Warcraft is complete crap and way overated (I have tried that game 3 concecutive times and its just sooo damn boring and retarded).  I do plan on subscribing to LOTRO (played the stress test).  Those are my opinoins.
  • LongswdLongswd Member Posts: 155
    Originally posted by Beery

I think it's amusing that certain people on this forum who don't play the game anymore often seem desperate to stop those who DO enjoy it from playing it.  I mean spite has its uses, and I've spent as much time as anyone lambasting poor development decisions, but this is ridiculous.  Let it go already.  If you're annoyed by how the game let you down, the people to responsible are working at SOE and LA.  I think you ought to stop wasting your ire on your fellow players.
    I think it's more of case of wanting the game to die so that another dev can get the IP and actually make a MMO worthy of the license. I don't think anyone could actually do a worse job, with the possible exception of Turbine. Let it die so can we get a real Stars Wars universe MMO (that doesn't suck).
  • WumiWumi Member UncommonPosts: 85

Uhm and they will buff...who?

Wumi from once poputaled preCU-Bloodfin

Wumi - SWG - Bloodfin - Cancelled
    Wumi - WoW - Eu-Kazzak - Cancelled
    Bulldozer - Aion - Eu-Kahrun - Cancelled
    Wumi - Rift - EU-Riptalon - Cancelled

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

My very first character, when SWG came out, was a dancer.  It was pretty cool.  Ohh, I should reactivate my account and play her again, with these new entertainer enchancements.  Oh wait, I almost forgot, I didnt create an entertainer to play as a buffbot.  Dang, I guess this update does nothing for me. 
     Do you think it does anything for any players who have a entertainer character?  Does it make the game more fun for them?  Does it make them wanted any more by other players than they were when they gave standard buffs?  To be honest I think the entertainers would be happier with a few new dances or a new song.  Maybe something like AC2 or LOTRo's /music where you can create your own songs?

This is only a part of the Entertainer revamp.  They'll also be getting new dances, new music,  a new instrument and some new effects.  Like the other professions, they also get expertise which gives them the ability to improve their entertaining ability or to give them a few combat abilities (for those that like to seduce and kill ;) ).

Since the CU hit (nearly 2 years ago now), Entertainers really haven't played much of a role in the game, other then giving buffs to crafters that improved their resources or XP buffs.  This new system looks to give Entertainers a role again in the game, with services desirable by ALL professions.  While yes, as an Entertainer you will be doing alot of buffing, it looks like you'll be able to personalise your buffs to make yourself standout from other Entertainers.  That's something Entertainers have never had in the game.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

My first impression is that this sounds like a really cool idea....

....for Pre-CU - not post NGE

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638
    My alt is an Entertainer and I think this news is cool!
  • WumiWumi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by RainStar

Sry lemme get this right.... you got 2 (two) SWG accounts?

Wumi - SWG - Bloodfin - Cancelled
    Wumi - WoW - Eu-Kazzak - Cancelled
    Bulldozer - Aion - Eu-Kahrun - Cancelled
    Wumi - Rift - EU-Riptalon - Cancelled

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638
    Originally posted by Wumi

Originally posted by RainStar

Sry lemme get this right.... you got 2 (two) SWG accounts?

No, I have one account.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    Originally posted by Obraik

This is only a part of the Entertainer revamp.  They'll also be getting new dances, new music,  a new instrument and some new effects.  Like the other professions, they also get expertise which gives them the ability to improve their entertaining ability or to give them a few combat abilities (for those that like to seduce and kill ;) ).

Since the CU hit (nearly 2 years ago now), Entertainers really haven't played much of a role in the game, other then giving buffs to crafters that improved their resources or XP buffs.  This new system looks to give Entertainers a role again in the game, with services desirable by ALL professions.  While yes, as an Entertainer you will be doing alot of buffing, it looks like you'll be able to personalise your buffs to make yourself standout from other Entertainers.  That's something Entertainers have never had in the game.

Could be indeed, but it sounds like they are becomming pre-cu doctors or something?

But that is wrong since they shouldent be buffbots, they should dance and play music!

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    Originally posted by Obraik

wow man, it seems as though with the fightng ability's and song buffs, this is going more towards a bard look than the more classic musician that i remember.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

I have a question.

Is the buff applied instantly?  Or does the person getting the buff have to watch/listen to the entertainer?  If they do have to watch the enterainer peform for a certain amount of time, I would actually consider this better than the pre-cu version, which in my opinion would be a first for this team since the NGE. If its applied instantly, its merely giving something back they took away, but in a downgraded form.

Either way its a small step while the rest of the game is burning in flames.  But you have to start somehere.  To bad SOE is unwilling to do what is necessary to make SWG great again.

Devs have said you'll need to listen/watch the enterainer for a few minutes to build up the durration of the buff.  Unlike pre-NGE, you can't buff while AFK either, as all the commands are done from a window and don't have / commands.

• wargassmwargassm Member Posts: 76

Wow, no not the game but the lame SOE dev that came up with this idea.  I mean come on entertainers had this before PRE-CU.   They take allot of the abilities and buffs away, now they are putting them back in.  Same ole crap from SOE, take stuff away from players, then 2 years later give it back to them but wait, its a new feature because we added this little extra spin.  Sorry SOE no go.  HAY SWGEMU is coming right along and soon SOE and LA will see how fundamentally flawed the NGE is and the misguided Board over @ SOE.

Originally posted by wargassm

Wow, no not the game but the lame SOE dev that came up with this idea.  I mean come on entertainers had this before PRE-CU.   They take allot of the abilities and buffs away, now they are putting them back in.  Same ole crap from SOE, take stuff away from players, then 2 years later give it back to them but wait, its a new feature because we added this little extra spin.  Sorry SOE no go.  HAY SWGEMU is coming right along and soon SOE and LA will see how fundamentally flawed the NGE is and the misguided Board over @ SOE.

No, they didn't have this pre-cu.