Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best game these days?

13»

Comments

• MorrowRailMorrowRail Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by kb4blu
    Ok I have read every post here. Now for my 2 cents worth. AO is a fantastic game. I have played for over 2 years, but I do have a problem with it. Ever since SL came out it seems that no one spends time in the cities any more. In rome blue there used to always be TONS of people around the basic store and finding a group was easy. Now it sems all I hear is crickets :) I realize that a lot of people are in the SL part of the game but for me SL has always seemed a bit contrived. Unless you want to go to the temple or go to SL it has become hard to find a group any more. For people like me who enjoyed the missions something went out of the game when SL came out.

Don't worry, man. Alien Invasion is gonna bring them all back.

• SmirkerSmirker Member Posts: 11

Perosnally, I played it from inital launch for about 6 months and thought it was pretty fun and had lots of potential. 

However, I just got sick and tired of immature pricks sniping me when I was trying to get to  missions in PvP enabled zones.  Personally, I'm much more of a social type and don't care as much for the mindless fighting so many were doing, be it for ranks, for being a griefer or what have you. 

• SmirkerSmirker Member Posts: 11

D'oh, and I forgot to add, the higher your level gets the more your missions are in the warzones.  Oh, and back then, being neutral just meant that basically everyone shot you.  =P

From a design perspective FunCom did a great job.  I know they rolled up all their other projects/titles to do AO, but they released it far far far too early.   However, they were the first to incorporate such innovative ideas such as hyperlinking items in 'chat' so you could click on the item in the chat to see the description/stats, as well as a few other things which have slipped my insomnic mind at this point. 

I'm actually glad to see it hasn't died out. 

• CrowenCrowen Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by dekron

AO sucked from the beginning and it always will suck...nothing can ever make that game playable, I tried Shadowlands when offered a free trial on it and it blew.  Worse MMORPG I have ever or will ever play.  I'm sure all or many of you people will disagree with me but that's your opinion like this is mine so don't try and flame this post.

I won't flame you as I agree SL sucks but I think AO is a good game to bad an expantion ruined the game instead of expanding it they made a whole new game and attached it to old lands. However you just comming in to flame isn't helping as the question was what is the best MMoRPG which you didn't even try to answer..

I would have to say today right now DAoC followed by AO are the best. EQ is way down the list as its only a camp fest game.

Originally posted by Unknown
    I put absolutly no weight into what alot of the Pro Reviewers say.. For the simple reason that the majority of the time there taken on tours by the Devs of the game.. What dev in his right mind would expose the bugs or flaws of his game that he is trying to get a good review on.. Also most reviewers play a game for one or 2 days then pass judgement.. If you were to do this with AO almost anyone would give this game good reviews.. But you need to play this game longer for the flaws to be exposed.. Pre lvl 60 its all good baby, but after that is were the trouble starts.. Its still a good game and all but Shadowland ruined it if you ask me..And you can look at the dwindling player base and complaints on the forums for your proof, not a gaming reviewer.. SL was suppose to bring alot of high content for the high lvl players (post 150) as well as the other lvls.. Well it did but problem is that its a Camp fest or a slaughter (for you char). Also travel in Shadowlands  is tiresome, one wrong step or if you fall through one of the numerous holes in the world (poor design) then away fall  back to Rubi-ki.. Have fun on your 20 min trip back to were you once were.. This as you see can make teaming very hard.. One of the many reasons why you will hardly ever find a team going to Shawdownlands. Not to mention the numerous times you will get stuck in the geometry (and the stuck command wont work) so your left waitng for a ARK to appear and get you out, can be anywhere from 2-30 mins. I could go on and on but I wont.. Bottom line is this is a decent game but if you plan on investing any time on it for the long haul I would not.. I.E go month to month. Now if they take that silly expansion(Shadowlands) away this game is uber.

I have to agree 100% the first 100 levels are great but after that it gets nothing but worse. I have a friend that has been playing AO for over 1 year and has still not made level 100 which I can't understand how it takes him so long but thats how he plays. As for me I got to almost 200 and couldn't stand it anymore then SL came out and I tried it there and that really sucked. SL is not an expantion to the game its a new game attached to the old one. Even the helth kits and 90% or the stuff don't work in SL you have to get all new gear for it. Really sucks about that and is really too bad they could have made the game so much better.

Originally posted by Quaduce

So...multiple good reviews on big name sites aperently mean absolutly nothing then. I see. And yes, i imagine a dev lead them through the place and they played for 2 days and wernt shown any bugs. But wouldnt any other game dev do the same thing?
    Shadowlands didnt ruin anything. Who said u were forced to go there in the first place? If you dont like it dont bother going there. And i dont see why anyone wouldnt go there considering that the enemys there give 3x the exp they do on rubi-ka. Not to mention the loot u can get. Id say its well worth the random deaths from insainly high mobs roaming around. Yes it makes things dificult, but i dont think they intended on shadowlands to be a cake walk.
    And Yes it takes alot of camping and stuff, wich i hate, so, i dont do it. I play to have fun, im not gonna sit around and do things i dont like if i dont have to, then cry about them and say the game sucks.

HMM have you even played AO dude?? You have to go to SL you have no choice as all the exp from 200 to 220 is all SL exp. You can't get exp anywhere else other than SL so to say you don't have to go there means you don't know the game. Please post facts not fiction is a waste of everyones time to read your ranting.

When you get to 200 and you can't get anywhere you will know what all us long time real players are talking about. I am glad you enjoy the lowbie noob levels thats cool but when you have exp come back.

Originally posted by xplororor

Originally posted by ianubisi

Originally posted by xplororor
     Last item that everyone misses:
     A successfull CD/Albume is not one that outsells some other artist. It's one that turns a profit. Usually if an albume sells 500,000 copies it can be called a success.
     A successfull MMORPG is one that turns a profit. EQ cost 5 million to develope. In 6 months after release it had 50,000 subscribers. It broke even in 2 years when it kept a solid 100,000 subscribers paying their monthly fees which finally covered the 5 million it took to develope, as well as all over head costs. And on top of all that, turn a profit.
     One of the most well known MMORPG developers said the avarage and intended shelf life of a MMORPG is 5 years.
     To tell if a MMORPG is a success, it must break even aka have a solid 100,000 subscribers during the first 1-2 years after release. This tells a new player that the game is stable, and will be around after they invest time into their character.
     This is the definition of a good MMORPG. Not if it outsells EQ, DAoC, SWG, or AO.
    [AC2 has 12,000 players. Is it a success? LOLOL ;) ][Compare that to AC which has an avg of 100,000 players. ;)

Good lord, man, do the math properly. 100,000 subscribers * $10/month = $1mil per month. Per month. A $5 million development schedule is paid in 5 months. Please review your figures, and you will understand what you are saying is fundamentally flawed.

You think companies would invest in a multi-million dollar project that *MIGHT* break even in 2 years? Please.

Bad devil, man, YOU do the math!

What else are you missing from the 'formula'. C'mon, don't think too hard.

The cost of the game box . It is what instantly injects $$$$ into the game developer's coffers.

The avg cost of a new MMORPG game box is roughly $50.oo at release. Ahhh... now you're starting to see the light. See now why that well known MMORPG game dev guy knows what he was talking about?

Don't also forget that every expantion for a game is also 50$ so now a game like EQ who release 2 expantions a year and get a more like 15$ fee a month now thats even more numbers. Sony makes unreal money every year from EQ alone.. Even if SWG,EQ2, and planetside fail they would still be rich.

What gets me is the monthly fee is suppost to support the game and future development if that is so why are expantions not free?

Originally posted by Violette
    Is killing mandatory in AO ? I'm not into violence much....is there a lot of gore?

SOC 86% EXP 73% ACH 33% KIL 6%

If you never want to kill a mob or player then I would say play Horizons and be a crafter.. You will make alot of money and never kill anything.

Originally posted by Daemonknight
    AO is the only MMORPG that i know that gives XPs for crafting. I was amazed when i tried it out. It is not enough to level quickly , but hey great for crafters!

AO crafting totally sucks compaired to Horizons.. AO crafting requires you to kill mobs to get loot to craft stuff..

So your still killing..

Horizons doesn't require ever killing to craft and you can level faster than people who hunt.

Originally posted by gitawego

actually, I love AO a lot. but I don't know why so many people hate it.
    I don't like the EQ's graphic quality. but the EQ2 is more better than EQ.
    have u ever played Shadowbane ? it's not bad :)

People hate AO for its end game. AO's level 1 to 150 is great but 150 to 220 is really poor.

I have played SB and it is one of the worst in my opinion if you like to kill people play DAoC its the best RvR game out.. AO is a good game just needs the whole end game redone.

Originally posted by MrPunx

i was thinking of playing AO but i was ondering if it is noob friendly. im not new to mmos by any mean but i just dont want to be the only one lvling and have to go though the game by myself for the most part

This wont be a problem as 1 to 150 is the only fun levels so people restart over and over again so there are losts of experianced low level people.

Originally posted by phantium
    AO All the way baby, yeah i got 2 accounts. Yeah i'm addicted.

Yeah i'm planning to come back.
    But i don't know anyone that plays it these days.

Anyone? mail me on [email protected]

I'm bored!

ROFL you say you have 2 accounts and you love the game then you state your planing to come back and your bored?? So which its it?

1:Are you playing and have to accounts and love it?

2:Your planing to play again and want to find people?

3: your Bored and ready to find a new game?

I am so confused image

Originally posted by MorrowRail

Don't worry, man. Alien Invasion is gonna bring them all back.

Oh god I hope so if they can make the end game as fun as the first 150 levels with AI exp and get it out before WoW comes out and takes over I will be there..

I have 3 characters over 150 that I would love to have fun playing again but I just can't stand the end game.

• VassagoVassago Member Posts: 75
    I've restarted a MA and got him to lvl 80ish about 4 times now.  I quit all those times for various reasons- to play other games, girlfriend laid the smack down... whatever.  I think I might even go for a 5th, it's fun.

Genetics loads the gun; lifestyle pulls the trigger.

Genetics loads the gun; lifestyle pulls the trigger.

• cyberkaoscyberkaos Member Posts: 18

anarchy online is the first mmorpg i ever played.I started out a noob and
    didnt know what to do but i was having fun just wandering about.
    After i got the hang of it i loved it and played all the time but then stopped
    becuase i ran out of cash (due to a motorcycle accident).
    After i got cash back i was going to go back but i was seeing all these
    new mmorpgs.I bought DAoC first, in two days i hated it....it just wasnt my type of game
    u lvled really slow u had to walk every where all the time and the only way of transportaion
    for me was horses...which killed money for amour.After DAoC i tried SWG....hated it in a week.
    I didnt like the fact that u couldnt lvl and that everytime u got wounded u had to go to a club
    (i always got lost looking for the club) and listen to bad music and tip the person to heal u.
    After that i tried PlanetSide a MMOFPS....loved it simple as that.I still play that now.Then i tried
    FFXI online.....i like the ff series but it wasnt the game........i didnt like the whole little tasks where
    u had to walk around and advertise a hat for money.It was an ok game tho.Then i went back to
    Anarchy Online around when the Shadowlands expansion came out.I was hooked it was better than ever
    better graphics and a whole new world.i guess i like the whole gun action futuristic type of game
    but i wanna try out EQ because most of my AO friends play that also. I play Anarchy Online and
    Planetside.can anyone tell me how EQ is like and if ill like it.Correct me if im wrong but
    there is no trial for EQ right?

::::12::

CoH name-IcedFists
    sever-Pinnacle
    Archetype-Scrapper/martial arts

Originally posted by cyberkaos

I play Anarchy Online and
    Planetside.can anyone tell me how EQ is like and if ill like it.Correct me if im wrong but
    there is no trial for EQ right?

I think there is a trail now but its only for there basic game and if you hated DAoC for travel and slow leveling you will hate EQ. I can level from 1 to 50 in DAoC in about a week but in EQ it will take you months. And thats me being hard core. Just from your post I can tell you EQ is not for you.