Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE bashing

niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

Harsh title. Misleading too perhaps.

I played EVE for about six months simply because I wanted to find out what the hubbub was all about.

I read the background story. OK, haven't read science fiction that bland since 8th grade, but this is a game, how much background story do you really need? I find that a good story and a well though out theme makes for an involving game that you can get excited about. You get the feeling you're a part of something, that you're not merely gaming, you're taking part. That was a bit of a let-down.

I mined and quickly found that didn't worked for me. Mining is simply put, boring. I find it to be a design flaw that you can't simply install a Mine Autopilot in a ship. You can train while AFK (or even logged out), you can travel while AFK, you can produce while AFK, but you can't mine. Even though I have tried about 20 MMO games (for more than 3 months that is, anything less doesn't really count) I have NEVER found a more boring grind, not even Lineage 2 or RF: Online.

So I had a few friends mine for me and I started concentrating on building stuff. That was a bit more fun, although the Crafting system isn't exactly involving on the part of the player. There are skills to learn, stuff to get, things to add to the production line. But in the end it is again not that much fun.

I started running some missions. No atmosphere. None. No involving plot lines, no background story hints, no elaborate/funny/surprising story lines. I know that the missions in other games can be one-trick ponies (you do them once and you know them) but there are few as poor as the missions in EVE. I would at least expect something a bit more expanding or (dare I say it?) interesting?

Bounty hunting might be fun I thought. Well, you end up in EVE's combat system which is extremely easy. It looks difficult and it hints at various strategic and tactical possibilities, but since the interface is very easy and you can turn off all unnecessary clutter (both on-screen and in your target list) it very quickly becomes the same things you do again and again. I find this to be both a good thing and a bad thing actually. In some strange way it appears rather "realistic" that the pilot of a spaceship would only make very little decisions and thereafter rely on the ship's computer. On the other hand it is not that much fun.

PvP then. Large battles, join a corp that doesn't back down from large fights! The combat system is the same so it's just carrying out your assigned role of protector, wingman, long-range combatant or whatever. Combat doesn't become very hectic and it rarely if ever swings from one side to the other in a prolonged exciting engagement. Again, this might be fairly "realistic" but it is also very inane to me. I want action, I want unsuspected changes of fate, I want to think on my toes, be ready for anything and triumph even though I was on my heels. EVE does not deliver that to me. Please mind though that I was never in a battle with more than about 30 ships total.

The whole corporation aspect was also a bit tame to me. Yes, there are investments, there are considerations to the "tax rate" of your members, you can share stuff, you have easier access to materials and Ore (which was nice since mining is a total fun-stopper!)

The last part that can save a game for me now would be the community. The EVE community are totally EVE absorbed. That's not surprising, you get fanboys in every game but in EVE you get the really freaky die-hard This-game-is-God fanboys. And in their arrogance they look down on everybody else. I have to say that was a bit of a disgusting experience. It makes you wonder if all those playing EVE now played Elite once and now thought they had to be totally Elitist. I don't know, but they had nothing to give, and the community isn't focused around roleplay, immersion, or anything in that category.

EVE is fun to play when you're off-line simply because skills increase while you're off-line. Online, the experience is rather disheartening for me.

Comments

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

I almost forgot.

The best thing about EVE (and the reason that I stayed 6 months) is that is has very poor protection on their so-called Secure Server. It is very easy to fool the interface into thinking you have paid, or have your account paid by someone else (I actually don't know which of the two applies in EVE's case).

That is not good per se, but it makes for a very cheap game.

• WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

I feel sorry for you, if you joined EVE because you can avoid paiments.

Wen i pay a game i expect Devs to get my game beter and insert new content.

I dont like wen people play on  private server, or do wath you do, thous people dont like the game they are playng, they dont want that game to get beter, or have a good gameplay.

So i am hapy you dont play EVE no more

• pirateTOMpirateTOM Member Posts: 23

nice post nitefly. I thought your op was well thought out and fair. An especially good point also on the player base. With the eve community it seems to be all or nothing.

Free play or not, I still stand by what I have written. The free play was propably a fluke (at least none of my friends has been able to repeat that) but on the other hand I think it enabled me to form a better and more informative oppinion.

And I think that is a plus actually: If I had paid money for that time I spent on EVE I would have been bitter and propably slightly more biased since I would automatically think that not only was the game bad, I had also wasted my money.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Your entitled to your opinion.  The only beef I have with Eve is that they won't let me do one of two things (I only need one and Eve would be a perfect experience):

1- Train 2 skills or more per account.

2- Train 1 skill per character.

Eve is a cognitive game, it is about strategy, efficientcy, and skullduggery.  That is why I enjoy it.

If you are a miner/trader, you have to pay attention to the market and prices.

If you are a pirate/mission runner, you have to fit your ship accordingly to the targets in the system.

If you are fighting a war, you have to take economic concerns into account.

You can also do GREAT Evil in Eve:

You can play the nice guy, work hard for your corp, and then, one day, rob them blind.

You can create scam contracts and rob the foolish out of their isk.

You can be an ore theif and rob AFK marcominers blind.

Eve is about cognitive freedom, almost anything you can think of doing in the system you can do.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by nitefly

Free play or not, I still stand by what I have written. The free play was propably a fluke (at least none of my friends has been able to repeat that) but on the other hand I think it enabled me to form a better and more informative oppinion.

And I think that is a plus actually: If I had paid money for that time I spent on EVE I would have been bitter and propably slightly more biased since I would automatically think that not only was the game bad, I had also wasted my money.

LOL, oh no.....can't see any bitterness or bias in your post.... nope, none at all

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Harsh title. Misleading too perhaps.

I played EVE for about six months simply because I wanted to find out what the hubbub was all about.

Character name for confirmation?

I read the background story. OK, haven't read science fiction that bland since 8th grade, but this is a game, how much background story do you really need? I find that a good story and a well though out theme makes for an involving game that you can get excited about. You get the feeling you're a part of something, that you're not merely gaming, you're taking part. That was a bit of a let-down.

What do you consider good backstory? I've always though EVE's lore was pretty engrossing, especially the chronicles included in EON magazine, though if you don't get them you haven't read those ones. What parts of the backstory did you think was bland?

I mined and quickly found that didn't worked for me. Mining is simply put, boring. I find it to be a design flaw that you can't simply install a Mine Autopilot in a ship. You can train while AFK (or even logged out), you can travel while AFK, you can produce while AFK, but you can't mine. Even though I have tried about 20 MMO games (for more than 3 months that is, anything less doesn't really count) I have NEVER found a more boring grind, not even Lineage 2 or RF: Online.

I don't like mining either, which is why I don't do it. Some people do enjoy it and to them I say go nuts. Just because YOU don't like an OPTIONAL part of the game doesn't mean others won't and in EVE there is nothing forcing you to do them.

So I had a few friends mine for me and I started concentrating on building stuff. That was a bit more fun, although the Crafting system isn't exactly involving on the part of the player. There are skills to learn, stuff to get, things to add to the production line. But in the end it is again not that much fun.

I like the manufacturing in EVE, I put all the required materials I need for x amount of items into my hangar and tell the factory to spit out x number of that item. I've had quite enough of the EQ2-like crafting systems when you have to grind up x number of y item to be able to level up so you can make x number of y+1 item etc.

I started running some missions. No atmosphere. None. No involving plot lines, no background story hints, no elaborate/funny/surprising story lines. I know that the missions in other games can be one-trick ponies (you do them once and you know them) but there are few as poor as the missions in EVE. I would at least expect something a bit more expanding or (dare I say it?) interesting?
    Meh, missions in EVE always have and always will be a means to make isk. You are not a super-important lone hero out to save the universe, you're just a pod-pilot like 150,000+ other players in the world. You're everyday actions are not going to bring about peace in the universe, they will just make you a bit richer. At best if you get together with enough others that share your goals you might affect your corner of the universe and cause mineral prices to fluctuate a bit, someone might even mention your character in passing, but you will be largely unrecognized in the universe at large. If you want involving storylines get involved in alliance politics.

Bounty hunting might be fun I thought. Well, you end up in EVE's combat system which is extremely easy. It looks difficult and it hints at various strategic and tactical possibilities, but since the interface is very easy and you can turn off all unnecessary clutter (both on-screen and in your target list) it very quickly becomes the same things you do again and again. I find this to be both a good thing and a bad thing actually. In some strange way it appears rather "realistic" that the pilot of a spaceship would only make very little decisions and thereafter rely on the ship's computer. On the other hand it is not that much fun.

If you're talking about belt ratting it's much the same as missions, means to make isk. It has it's advantages and disadvantages when compared to missions.

PvP then. Large battles, join a corp that doesn't back down from large fights! The combat system is the same so it's just carrying out your assigned role of protector, wingman, long-range combatant or whatever. Combat doesn't become very hectic and it rarely if ever swings from one side to the other in a prolonged exciting engagement. Again, this might be fairly "realistic" but it is also very inane to me. I want action, I want unsuspected changes of fate, I want to think on my toes, be ready for anything and triumph even though I was on my heels. EVE does not deliver that to me. Please mind though that I was never in a battle with more than about 30 ships total.
    Blobbing is a problem, and it is something they are working to fix, but there is still fun to be had in them. For me though the most fun is in gangs of 20-30.

The whole corporation aspect was also a bit tame to me. Yes, there are investments, there are considerations to the "tax rate" of your members, you can share stuff, you have easier access to materials and Ore (which was nice since mining is a total fun-stopper!)

The last part that can save a game for me now would be the community. The EVE community are totally EVE absorbed. That's not surprising, you get fanboys in every game but in EVE you get the really freaky die-hard This-game-is-God fanboys. And in their arrogance they look down on everybody else. I have to say that was a bit of a disgusting experience. It makes you wonder if all those playing EVE now played Elite once and now thought they had to be totally Elitist. I don't know, but they had nothing to give, and the community isn't focused around roleplay, immersion, or anything in that category.

EVE is fun to play when you're off-line simply because skills increase while you're off-line. Online, the experience is rather disheartening for me.
  • RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

Yeah, you have a clue.

So long.

I almost forgot.

The best thing about EVE (and the reason that I stayed 6 months) is that is has very poor protection on their so-called Secure Server. It is very easy to fool the interface into thinking you have paid, or have your account paid by someone else (I actually don't know which of the two applies in EVE's case).

That is not good per se, but it makes for a very cheap game.

There was a problem with the syncing between the billing server and the logon server for a small subset of accounts (mine included), which resulted in the billing server not properly telling the logon server that the account was expired. I ended up getting 2 or 3 months of free playtime out of it too (through no action of my own, mind you), until I got an email that said the problem had been fixed.

Generally things which happen to you through no fault or action of your own make you one hell of a l33t h4x0r.
  • MondeMonde Member Posts: 133

If it was so bad why did you stay for 6 months? 6 Months is a very long time to waste on a game you do not enjoy.

As I have said before and will continue to say the Eve Community is far from Elitest. They are older and have little patience with Fanboi, N00b, L33t, I'm so cool types. That doesn't make them Elitest. (BTW I am not saying that you are any of those things)

I have also played a fair number of MMO's and many Offline games where I was totally immersed in the community and I have never found such a helpful and enjoyable community as Eve.

Thanks for your comments. I do not agree but that is what makes us all different.

Oh and you can Mine AFK in Hi Sec if you deploy your drones and have a large enough cargo bay.

Monde wrote (I don't like the Quote system in this forum):

"Thanks for your comments. I do not agree but that is what makes us all different."

You're welcome and yes you're absolutely right. Difference is good, that is why you should be as precise as possible when you say you don't like something. Otherwise it is just whining. I tried not to whine.

More from Monde:

"Oh and you can Mine AFK in Hi Sec if you deploy your drones and have a large enough cargo bay"

Thanks. That's a helpful bit of advice right there. I didn't think about that, but that would at least make it a bit less of a time-robber.

Kyleran wrote:

"LOL, oh no.....can't see any bitterness or bias in your post.... nope, none at all"

There is definately bias. As I wrote, I might have been more biased if I had had to pay money too.

I don't think my post is bitter, at least I don't feel bitter. I'm not a jerk saying that EVE stole my life or something lame and simplistic like "EVE sucks and all who play it are morons!!!" I think we have quite enough of that nonsense already.

But as with all communication it is the view of the receiver that colors the intent of the message. Which means that if you though the post was bitter and I didn't want it to appear bitter, I failed in my communication.

• BahemothBahemoth Member Posts: 126
    I have to disagree with you almost entirely however there are 2 things i wanted to comment on

1. the community is not what youve made it out to be. no we dont give you the time of day if your doing alot of bragging, yes we are quick to call people on BS or and whinning or acting without thinking. this isnt because we are elitists but more because the majority of eve gamers are older (im 25 and among the younger of eve players)  and most of us are veteran gammers and frankly were tired of seeing it. but you haveto remember eve players are some of the most helpfull and accepting players aslong as you can act on a mature level.

2. your saying combat in eve is non tactical because its got an intuitive and easy to use interface? sorry but the tactical part of eve really doesnt have anything to do with the interface. it comes in the form of what shiptypes to use and what strategies you can formulate .like 10 people in stealth bombers sitting cloaked on a gate waiting for aomseone to come through, or sending in a tanked to hell BS into a system with 5 hostiles while your waiting 2 systems over for them to take your bait, also who to kill first, i could list off examples of tactics all day. but to say eves combat isnt tactical is like saying theres no tactics in in historical medevil combat. your just not thinking on a big enough scale

and also i hate to say it but unless you can provide us a character name to check its hard for us some of us to think that you have credibilty atall
  • pirateTOMpirateTOM Member Posts: 23

sorry behemouth all the OP made out of the community was that there were total fanboys. nothing wrong with that, eve is an extremist game. secondly the dev's have recently stated publicly that the current combat system does not lend itself to tactics as much as they would like and are currently focused on bringing changes to the nature of combat to change that. current combat is gank or be gank, the big gun wins. it matters not that you use multiple ships to compose the big gun or just a single ship the bigger gun wins.

and on a side note I heard last night that inertial stabs are the current rage especially with BS? any truth to this? if so I bet the caldari's are crying foul as speed all but neutralizes the effectiveness of their beloved missiles.

• BahemothBahemoth Member Posts: 126
    tom yes theres some issue with the istab phoon/domi right now however it isnt the omg i-win button people are making it out to be. they are hard to counter but it can be done tactics like warping to a field and hugging the roids so their flight path is obstructed. in fleet combat putting another BS in their flight path and bumping them or having a huggin with doublewebs slows them down pretty well. and the istab phoon/domi setups are paperthin as all they have in the way of protection besides speed is normaly 1 large or xlarge shield booster and thats it. you manage to slow them down even for a little bit and there done

and they said its not as tactical as they would like doesnt mean its not tactical. i just gave you some more tactical examples

also ive seen a cruiser (not hac) take a BC solo befor so the bigger firepower = iwin isnt always true
  • RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    Originally posted by pirateTOM

sorry behemouth all the OP made out of the community was that there were total fanboys. nothing wrong with that, eve is an extremist game. secondly the dev's have recently stated publicly that the current combat system does not lend itself to tactics as much as they would like and are currently focused on bringing changes to the nature of combat to change that. current combat is gank or be gank, the big gun wins. it matters not that you use multiple ships to compose the big gun or just a single ship the bigger gun wins.
    and on a side note I heard last night that inertial stabs are the current rage especially with BS? any truth to this? if so I bet the caldari's are crying foul as speed all but neutralizes the effectiveness of their beloved missiles.
    All I see is "I suck at combat and couldnt figure it out, so it must be easy.... somehow". If you don't have any clue, perhaps you should just pack up shop and move to CoH?
  • OriumporOriumpor Member Posts: 1

From the sound of things, the OP really didn't get involved in what I'd call PvP.  When I started out I was incredibly bored mining in a crappy ship.  This was before there was an increase in base skillpoints.  It drove me insane for 3 weeks trying to accumulate enough ISK to actually do something worthwhile. 

Eventually my stay at home wife was able to crank out enough isk to make it to a hauler and sat mining with a single miner I till she filled her hold with veldspar, went back to station and sold it to whoever would by it.  Rinse repeat, for two weeks...

Finally she and I were both able to get into the next class of ship (her a mining barge, me a cruiser) ... I tried belt hopping, but due to my incredibly horrible skills I was nearly dying at each attempt killing FRIGATES.  This agitated me and I returned to mining for another couple of weeks (this time in my cruiser so not quite so bad.)  Eventually I was able to garner the use of drones and suddenly things opened up for me.  I finally realized I might actually have to *read* the documentation to figure out how to play more effectively.  I started participating in the forums and reading about how to gain advantage in the game and three weeks later I was participating in corp activities killing battlecruisers and and battleships (with other noobs.)  About a month from then I was able to fly a Battleship that I had helped mine for and continued mining (in lowsec) to pay it off. 

About 3 months into the game I had become aware of the path I wanted to follow and started training skills for it, 5 months from then I was able to acquire and fly the ship I wanted... the waiting wasn't for lack of resources but just waiting on the skills to finish.   The blessing and the curse of eve is character progression is done primarily offline.  Unfortunately this inevitably benefits those whose toons are older than others (as they are able to max ALL skills associated with their specialties.)  The OP's focus on the ISK grind is off base as it's only temporary (if you use your head) as you have MANY opportunities to both protect (insurance) and make it grow (invest.)    And after 8 months I became bored with the lame tactics used by adolescents and drunkards in EVERY PVP game in existence: CAMPING and so I quit.

You'd think with such an advanced universe the CCP guys would have figured a way to prevent it from happening and create some more complex pvp dynamics (instead they cause it to flourish by introducing Warp Bubbles etc that make it easier to camp.)  The only pathway left for someone wanting to PVP is that of the cloaker, which required months of training on my part and left me with very few wingmen to participate with.

-Ori

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    I advise the OP returns to WoW and enjoy the easy mode zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Actually my last reply was a bit short and agressive so ill rephrase that.

I can see from your post and what you didnt like that sci-fi games [hardcore ones] are not for you and dont you delude yourself eve is a hardcore sci-fi PvP game. So its backgroundstory will be a little technicle as its a sci-fi game with technical stuff to explain. Its not like a Fantasy based game with Pixies and fairy dust and stuff explaining stuff in a fantasy game is easy you just say it works because its magic.

In a sci-fi tho you have to go into detail.

So in short you'd be best going back to a game like wow where everything is spoon fed to you.