Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How did you feel about day one?

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Well, the first day of the real servers and paid gaming is over. I was in the game from minute one. Reminded me of day one I had in EQ2 years ago. It is always chaos, fun and disasters. In that way it was a pretty normal start.

I levelled my Paladin in Tursh to level 10, got a horse and rode to New Torgonor travelling to Tanvu, where I finally logged. I guess I was the first blond person the Kojani saw, heh. Anyways. I followed the footprints from my beta experiences basically. In the next days people will form an opinion. What I feel, more as intuition than rationale observation is, that grand and dire will be close together and may likely accompany us for a long time. FPS has incresed quite a bit, but in a sense I found it much more crashy than in the last beta days. I had seen several bugs I had never seen before in beta! Like, when I entered the storehouse with my guildmates, and we used the elevator, suddenly some toons appeared stuck in the elevator, while they themselves saw them normally moving. My guildmates and me where regularly kicked to character select (approx. all 60 min one char), and when we returned that char appeared unguilded until that person restarted the entire game. New bugs, never seen before, at least by me.

So far I can say the locked zones are here. At least some, those in Thestra I travelled through. New Targonor has NPCs now, even though I would not call it a living city that compares to the buzzing life of Ironforge or Qeynos - yet. Character generation has not improved and a lot of features are not in it. If there was a question if they are in store and were just withheld in the beta, it is now clear they do not exist yet.

My feeling of this day is mixed. The good clearly is stronger, but there are shadows of doubt. While the aggression of the beta days was gone from shout and OOC, it wasnt clearly a social atmosphere. Everyone was quite busy with hectic soloing. For some reason I still cant put my finger on, people rarely group and even more rarely TALK in groups. I am used to grouping, where people make a break and talk. About the quest or hunt, the game or anything. Like the beta groups, the groups all where VERY fast paced and quite unsocial. It was as if the environment put us into a fast paced frenzy. After 1 hour I had enough of grouping because it started to be too strenuous. The lack of chat bubbles, the lack of good target pointers has grouping made much more difficult that you are used from any other game. Most of the time you are focussed on the icons, watching if some special icon is highlighted, and watching the chat window, because of the lack of chat bubbles. I never was watching the landscape and the actual fighting so little in any MMO. They need to add some comfort to this game yet. For now, many wont notice. But if you look at things open minded, it is just plain how behind the entire UI is compared to really advanced interfaces like EQ2 or SWG. (I just say Fetish! If you ever used zonx EQ2 UI you just have seen the best possible UI.) The VG Ui is clumsy and cumbersome and needs a DEEP rework.

The game itself is fun in many aspects, no doubt. I just keep pointing at the problems, because they may be small, but they are at crucial points. Be mindful. Much needs still to be done.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975
    I found day one to be totally awesome myself its running as smooth as silk for me never seen any bugs I play on the RP server and folks are nice the area around Ca'ial Brael is Beautiful and full of life. i think ive found my new home lol even brought my wife with me she loves it to
  • BhagpussBhagpuss Member Posts: 58
    While I agree that there are still a lot of bugs to be worked out, I am already thoroughly hooked. I haven't been this deeply immersed from the first moment of a new game since day one of DAOC. Day one of EQ2 was nowhere near as compelling.

I detest chat bubbles and have them off in any game that uses them, so the lack of them doesn't bother me. I have all global chat channels switched off, including shout and ooc, as I do in most games, so that also isn't a concern. I always use the default UI of any game I play, and Vanguard's UI suits me nicely. All those concerns expressed abve don't concern me.

I would expect everyone to be soloing at first - generally that happens until people find progress slows. I am duoing with my GF and we are both having a great time.

Overall, I wasn't convinced about Vanguard until very late in beta, but somehow, somewhere in the last week or ten days of beta the hook dug in and I now anticipate Vanguard being my primary MMO for at least the rest of this year, maybe a lot longer.
  • metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Originally posted by swede2
    I found day one to be totally awesome myself its running as smooth as silk for me never seen any bugs I play on the RP server and folks are nice the area around Ca'ial Brael is Beautiful and full of life. i think ive found my new home lol even brought my wife with me she loves it to

I agree, not seen any bugs, everything has been polished, servers are running beautifully.

Superb.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• BrianoBriano Member Posts: 12
    here in tanvu release was awesome little to no lag, even with lot of people in screen, and only bugged quest was working much better than in beta did, the quest still gave some problems but most people was able to do it in a few tries, about stability, I only saw 2 chunck crashes in 5 hours, but they were minnor since we only needed to relog (took less than 1min)

we were even able to create the guild and killed a little named to celebrate it
  • kinglog123kinglog123 Member Posts: 50
    My first day in was simply amazing, I was thinking it would be very laggy and such but after that last patch in beta and the polish over the 3 days sigil had to work with it im impressed. I had problems since i only had 1 gig of ram and it was choppy. Well once i logged into the game today i had little to no problem really and when i ordered another gig for my computer it came in today later this evening... Now with 2 gigs wow i can see a diffrence runs even smoother than i could have imagined

Anyway to my point crafting and combat and all the classes are great this mmo should keep me hooked for quite some time.. For now i have found my MMO after being a SWG Refugee for so long, i thought i would never find an mmo that suits me .... hopefully this expands to and becomes more!
  • KazzerKazzer Member Posts: 648
    My first say was awesome... long time since ive have so much fun in a mmorog, lots of my friends will join soon aswell :-) Cant wait exploere with them.... Adventure time!!!
  • EuthorusEuthorus Member Posts: 491
    Other than my client crashing and ALL NPC names going poof I think they did a pretty good job - the only thing that really bothers me is that about 40% of all quests I tried were pooched in some shape or form.  Another wierd thing was playing a Necro and watching the shadow bolt spell form about 3 feet to the right and 1 foot up in the air over the right shoulder of my char - pretty disturbing to look at.

FUNCOM - putting the FUN in disFUNctional !

• End_of_a_eraEnd_of_a_era Member Posts: 527

You havn't seen any bugs? Lol, i saw nothing but problems.

imageimage

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

i would have to say there isnt a mmo launch that i was ever in that went this smooth, fps is way better than beta, and the servers havent crashed for me yet.( though i would totally expect them to!)  The game mechanics are exactly what i was looking for, no linked mobs, no TLC, less it changed from beta... no binding every piece of armor so your stuck with it till ya vendor it.  No zones, long viewing distance, freeking huge world!  i could go on but you get the point!  awsome game, and my new home!!                                                     VERY IMPRESSED~~

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I was surprised by how much better the game ran.  I didn't have any log at all.  The animations are better, but I'm still not thrilled with them.  It looks like Necros will be the FOTM class for a while, because everywhere I looked, they were running around with their little abominations in tow.  The quest system seemed fine to me.  I did get lost a few times when I'd get a quest that refused to give me a mission marker on the compass, but no biggie. 

The whole "hardcore old school" talk on the boards had me a little nervous about getting this game.  I didn't want a second job or a bunch of frustration.  I've actually found it much easier than many MMOs, especially with the quick recharge on health and mana when out of combat.  Mounts are cheap in comparison with games like WoW, and they come much earlier.  In reality, calling this game hardcore or old school is a little misleading, and I can't imagine why people are doing it other than the naked death runs which aren't even necessary.  This is a fairly fun, easy game to play.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I was seriously impressed with how well the game ran today.  I've been in since the beginning of beta 5 and while i saw minor improvements over that time, i wasn't expecting the game to run so smooth on day one.  Also, aside from the servers taking a little longer to start up than expected, server stability has been great.  I've seen a few minor bugs and one broken quest, but this game is really going to be a good one i think guys.  That's not fanboi talk or anything it's just the honest truth from a guy who's been a gamer online and offline for about 20 years.  I've already gotten several of my friends to try it out and they all really like it too. 

Not all who wander are lost...

Originally posted by End_of_a_era

You havn't seen any bugs? Lol, i saw nothing but problems.
    you dont even play the game , you did nothing but bash it through open beta and now you exspect us to believe you bought pre-order. All's you have to do is go to the WOW forums and your whiny little posts are all over it. Do you really think respec cost are to high get out of these forums if all,s your going to do is lie and whine
    Originally posted by Euthorus

Other than my client crashing and ALL NPC names going poof I think they did a pretty good job - the only thing that really bothers me is that about 40% of all quests I tried were pooched in some shape or form.  Another wierd thing was playing a Necro and watching the shadow bolt spell form about 3 feet to the right and 1 foot up in the air over the right shoulder of my char - pretty disturbing to look at.
    Wow you must have a talent for finding bugs, personally i think you dont even play the game

Originally posted by parrotpholk
    My only complaint about day 1 was I figured out 1 glaring thing. Its boring. There is no lore, no real point to the things you do. Only regional conflict at best. Its very good in performance now but damn from an immersion stand point its boring. Good Luck all I think I done with MMOs till Conan

Are you actually playing the same game or just making stuff up?

If you cant see any lore, then your either not doing any of the quests or in make believe land.

Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

Originally posted by swede2
    Originally posted by End_of_a_era You havn't seen any bugs? Lol, i saw nothing but problems.
    you dont even play the game , you did nothing but bash it through open beta and now you exspect us to believe you bought pre-order. All's you have to do is go to the WOW forums and your whiny little posts are all over it. Do you really think respec cost are to high get out of these forums if all,s your going to do is lie and whine

Would agree.

So far I have heard of one bug with the Warriors, had my client crash once after 5 hours of play.

Thats it.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I saw no bugs other than 1 small one where a potted tree flickered a bit.

Otherwise, Day 1 of the prelaunch was great. I had fun, saw lots of cool stuff. I'd say it went off quite smoothly.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• KarandorKarandor Member Posts: 113
    I haven't heard one whine about bugged quests or anything else in regional or shout chat. When WoW launched I heard much more whining about performance and bugs.

I call BS on all the people saying they have nothing but bugs and crashes.

As far a lack of lore and no interesting quests goes you have got to be kidding me. There's lots of lore if you actually read quests and if you want HARDCORE lore go do diplomacy. I'm a level 11 HE cleric and I've had tons of interesting (and challenging) quests. I've duo'd with lots of different people for the harder stuff and in general have been having a great time.

I've seen a couple stuck mobs and had one mob do a lag warp on me. Other than that I've had no bugs.

Too bad I'm busy today and tomorrow. I really want to play more.
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

you have to admit, they had you snowed pretty good with "performance issues" that no one was even talking about Vanguards biggest issue.

its a  "really" boring game.

to each their own of course.  

• beezeebeezee Member Posts: 149

While I really don't know if I will be getting this game, as I was not very impressed with beta.  Especially the performance issues.  It is good to see people finally enjoying a game!

All I can say is adventure on my friends!
  • roadwarriorsroadwarriors Member Posts: 218

Review

first Van then WOW then EQ

Gameplay: 1 - 10 - 1

Graphics: 6 - 5 - 7

BUGS at launch(higher means less bugs):2 - 10 - 0

Replayability: 1 - 10 - 0 (only four different classes in eq2, I'm talking about actuall differences in function)

Overall I find the hero system in eq 2 to be overcomplicating and overly simple combat system to confuse players and make them think it's more sophisticated when in reality it's actually more simple. I can even see this as it's primary reason for being in teh game.

Vangaurd is better than i thought. Overall I give it a 5.5. I give it a 5.5 for the same reason i dislike all the other new mmorpgs. They promise to be grouping phenoms but they all just end up being soloing havens. This is particularly bad when the game is advertised as raiding centric and group centric. Infact i give vangaurd 4 months before the plug is pulled. I don't know how sony is in business with the loss of revenue from the ps3 and there stock plumitting i really think investing time in sony products is a liability because the company has been going down hill the last 2 years, signs of liquidation and the death of a titan company.

• BaldzuluBaldzulu Member Posts: 19
    I think the first day went great!!!  Although the real first day may be on Tuesday.  That could bring a lot more folks onto the servers and we will have to see if that reduces the performance.
  • matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    My and my guildmates started on the FFA PVP server... reached lvl 7 and it was total chaos.  We had fun, but figured we would switch to the team pvp.  A bit more organized.

All in all, great fun so far.  It's down now for a patch!

eqnext.wikia.com

• StewkerStewker Member Posts: 35

The first day of the pre-release was quite good I thought. I am playing on the FFA PvP server with my guild and it was great fun. We all grouped for quests and... mutual defense. This is one thing that is different from what another poster mentioned. On the FFA server you almost HAVE to group. If you don't, you are dog food to any person who comes across you fighting a mob and has an inclination to gank you... some1 to watch your back is recommended. But all in all it was a good day.

There are some newer problems in the game, like mentioned before in other posts. The group issues and guild issues, which are annoying to say the least. Then there are the mobs that still teleport, behind you, or turn invisible forcing you to move for them to reappear. But besides those issues I had a great time. Good guildies, fun content, and some good pvp battles :)

5 of my guild vs 5 of another and us wiping them out to the man without losing one of ours comes to mind near the entrance to Ksararvi Hollow. 

• roadwarriorsroadwarriors Member Posts: 218
    If sony didn't make the game then who paid the soe to make it?
  • StewkerStewker Member Posts: 35

To the above poster, infact, sony came into vanguards life rather late in its developement period. Microsoft was the publisher before Sony.

EDIT: also sony and SOE are the same thing basically. It was Sigil that developed the game, SOE is only publishing it.