Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games and violence...

littleanthylittleanthy Member Posts: 1

One of the most notorious players (some of his ingame video footage here) in the Teon (European) server of the game Lineage2 assisted to a clan meeting of a rival alliance and, reasons *not clear*, sent a member of this clan to the hospital in *coma* state after beating him.

Link to L2blah community forum (all related threads are being closed, of course, because the case discussion doesn't belong to a game forum) link.

I really hope that's not the case but, what looked like distant and crazy stories about koreans mixing real and virtual lifes seems more sad today. ----

Please refrain from trolling.

Comments

• damijindamijin Member Posts: 37
    Comment removed out of respect for the dead.
  • SantaClaws48SantaClaws48 Member Posts: 280
    It's pretty dumb to pick a fight with a guy who crits you 6k in game. I bet that guy was surprised to find out dvp had boss jewelery in real life too.
  • SeanRPSeanRP Member Posts: 106
    That is just pathetic
  • JukanJukan Member UncommonPosts: 325
    IMO games don't make people violent.

DVP probally is a person that you make him a bit pissed and he gets violent. Unstable people cause violence, not games. Was he triggered from Lineage II?, well yeah, for whatever reason...a crit...scam...whatever...but something else such as bumping into him, knocking something out of his hands, or getting into an car accedent would probally cause close if not the same reaction.

I agree that extremly violent games are probally something that humans should NOT be subjected to HOURS upon end. L2 isn't an extreamly violent game imo. Very VERY little blood, mainly killing monsters such as vampires, orcs, etc. Very fantasy related, easily different from real world dipictions. The extreamly violent games I speak of are high action, bloody, intense games, where killing people is the object. Games like GTA and many FPS, I belive are not good for the human conciousness. But will it drive people to commit violent crimes. I would like to think not. Could it slowly desensitize someone to violence, I belive so! And desensitization to violence is bad, since people don't react to it in the grusome manner that it should be dealt with. So yes, I belive that too much violent games are not good for society, just as someone that immerses themselves in violent films, graphically violent books, etc. etc.

Should these types of materials be moderated? YES! Should they be banned? NO! I would hope people would use common sense. I am a gamer and have played my fair share of violent games, and I play L2 a lot myself. Would I ever commit physical or severe mental harm to someone over a game. NEVER! I feel I am sensitive to life, and not empty and wishing to cause pain. Even people that make me angry in real life, I never think to permanatly harm...mercy is a great virtue. This could have been to my upbringing, to self control, to martial arts training, whichever...but I know that it is people that control themselves, and people have to take responsibilty for that without sidestepping their guilt to something else such as a form of media.
    The story behind it is that a random guy picked a fight with dvp calling his gf ugly, fat etc. It just so happens this random guy happens to play on teon in a guild that is warred with dvp's guild. It had nothing to do with L2 even though people try to make it out to be. Frankly, I don't think dvp did anything out of the ordinary that most people wouldn't have done.
  • AbolithAbolith Member Posts: 34
    The truth is is that none of us know the truth behind the matter at all.  The only thing that does matter is that the kid involved has now passed away and this thread needs to be locked and deleted.  There is no sense in carring on this matter and it should never have been made (this thread).
  • SlayerIvanSlayerIvan Member Posts: 8

Noone lieks getting their gf's insulted LOL! Regarding where you might be be it L2 or wherever. IMO this is pathetic tho

• RenithRenith Member Posts: 145

I hate it when people relate this to gaming...rest in peace CBEPX.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    It is truly pathetic how some people just simply throw away their future for violence. This "DVP" person blew it and blew it big time.  Now, whether or not it is or is not game driven, is NOT the case here.  The fact is he is weak and apparently not exactly the brightest bulb in the box.

Now, for my post as in regards to violence in games and in particular Lineage 2, the game(s) themselves from what I gather through research may not directly cause some to violent "real-life" behavior, however look more at the mental make-up of your average 12 to 30 year old and there's where the propensity for violence may lie. We live in a world today full of violence.  Children see this everyday.  Unfortunately, today's world sees families fragmented and oft-times violence is seen there as well. Violent video games don't help a troubled mind at all.  Lineage 2 is open PvP.  For most of us that is mostly just a "pain-in-the-butt", but we get over it.  For others it goes deeper, much deeper.

I have dealt with and handled unstable youth in-game as well as in real life.  For the most part, it can be summed that they just don't see or understand the world in the same way that a "balanced" person may.  There are a few gamers that are of this ilk.  They are trouble and lonely.  They are angry.  In some cases they confuse their real life for their game world.  This in turn causes so many of the unfortunate conflicts on all the servers.  Entire clans/alliances have gone to needless and unwanted warfare over a few immature unbalanced gamers having an online fit of rage. We have too much stress in our lives as is, don't you think? Rage is all to apparent out there and having it in-game only makes it all the more difficult for the few at-risk young people.

Here are some useful and quite interesting links that a few of you might find interesting on the theme of violence in video games.  I do hope you will take the time to look over these articles and consider next time you log into game that there are some out there that cry out for help, but just do not know the tactful way to gain comfort.

www.apa.org/science/psa/sb-anderson.html

www.sciencenewsforkids.org/articles/20040114/Feature1.asp

mentalhealth.about.com/cs/familyresources/a/vidgameviolence.htm

culturalpolicy.uchicago.edu/conf2001/papers/freedman.html

www.gamerevolution.com/features/violence_and_videogames

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• The person that DVP beat up died just recently. It was supposedly not driven by the game. But nevertheless he did kill someone.
    Blaming violence on video games is stupid and a cop out to avoid personal responsibility. If you think that people act out in game behavior then you also have to believe you can rehabilitate serial killers by forcing them to watch Barney.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    I did a research paper for my university on the subject of video games and violent behavior and during my research I found many different scientific studies that fall on both sides of the fence on this topic. In the course of my studies I found that video games can cause violent reactions in individuals that have a predisposition towards violent behavior. The upshot of over a month of research into this topic is this.....Violent behavior can be triggered by video games but they are not the cause of violent behavior, that is inherent in the human mind. After all video games have been around for about 35 years but violent behavior has been around since before recorded history and beyond.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I am very saddened over this incident and both of the families involved have my deepest sympathies. Losing a loved one to either death or jail is never easy.

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }