Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about buying it... read here first...

booleanopsbooleanops Member Posts: 7

Before I go on, I am compelled to clear up the free 2 play thing everyone keeps asking about.  You buy the game for about $30. Then play is free.  Think GuildWars or BattelNet. You can buy "powerups" with real money (you get 3000 credits to start and items are as low as 50) in game as you go along. 

Anyway, so I bought the game today from CodeMasters (Key Only) via Download and found out after the fact, I had to go to FIlePlanet (the exclusive download partner) to get the beta verison? That's stupid.   Unless you have a File Planet subscription you'll be waiting  a while before your download starts. I waited like 45 minutes. So, unless you really  want the Premium Pack Bundle only available from Codemasters, you are probably better off buying it from Direct2Drive (Owned by same company as FP) for the extra $2 vs. the CodeM member price. You'll avoid the wait and get a better DL speed. 

While I was waiting,  I sent support a somewhat whiny, but not rude, email about this and asked if there was an alternate download location. They essentially said 'thanks for the email and sorry for the troubles -- bye.' Uh Yah. Ok, thanks for the quality customer service there you unprofessional halfwhit.  Atleast lie to me and pretend you give a shit. So I think that sums up what I can expect in the future from support if I have a problem. Hmm.. note to self. Think twice about buying any more games from CodeMasters... The fact that they are even involved remotely with LOTRO make me sketchy. But, I digress.

So I got the game installed. And the wait to upgrade from beta to the current verison wasn't too bad.  Fart with graphics and sound settigns etc. and I get settled ion to play. Navigating my charcter took some time to get used too since WASD isn't implemted real well yet but point and click to walk there is.  But again not bad. Run from here to ther grind, level.. gind.. beat a low level boss.. run and errand.. stnadard fare. I do like that it didn't take me 20 minutes to get from place to place. And teleport scrolls make gettgin back to town nice. Graphics are decent, but not as nice as others.  Figure out the quest engine is bugged so I got to do the same lvl 1-2 newbie quests ove for free XP. Sad, but not a show stopper.  I'd still give it a 6 of 10 on first impresisons.. but I bet as I play more that rating will go up. Who's to say at this moment.  

Here are some things that make me scratch my head about this whole expereince with the game in the first few hours of being an Archlord owner...

Why did I have to wait in line at FilePlanet  to download the beta version of a game I just paid $33 for?

Why if I buy the electronic Download with the Premuim Pack do I have to load my Character 5 times to get those items into his inventory? And, why was this not explained somewhere?

Why doesn't help or the forums not answer simple quesitons like "How do I send mail?"

Why don't I get and electronic manual in the Download?

Why are there Rhinos living on a frozen mountain top?

Why does it cost me 500 Gold to buy stationary so I can send a letter?

Why can I run out of town and see the end of the map where it looks like someone just said fuck-it  no need for textures and terrain down here. People will just assume it's far off flat land - right?

How can I take a little skelton knight inside a green jello blob as a seriuos adversary? While it's cute, it's also dumb.

Why can I defeat 2 simultaneously attacking lvl 5 mobs, but the miniboss level 5 of the same class wipes me all over the playing field?

So if you are seriously considering trying ArchLord, don't expect WoW or GuildWars or EverQuest, becasue this ain't it.   There is no way I would pay a $15 monhtly fee for this when I compare it to what I could get from one of the other more developed games mentioned above.  But, I can tell you this.. I have paid more a got less.....

~Boo~

Comments

• glockmasterglockmaster Member Posts: 147

Hey,ice read absolutley every sentence of your review of archlord,i have not played it myself but your review explains what it is like very well.

I think it's very good and think it really explains what happens and it is also saying to me.DONT BUY THE GAME.wich seeing as i have read it all i can understand,customer service is bad.But i don't understand why someone would want to go onto the end of the map is it like one of them games that the moves with you and there more to it or.....?

Also  if that is the case,if the game is like that i don'tthink ppl should payfor it at all seeing as even runescape sounds better!!!

Email me more info on how it is going ingame if you like my email is...

[email protected]

• JLAristotleJLAristotle Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the review i was almost going to buy it so you saved me an afternoon and 30-50 bucks.
  • DarkCasterXDarkCasterX Member Posts: 1
    Seems like you make a very good point
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    The OP seems a bit whiney to me. I say be grateful that the game is F2P once you've paid the initial $. Did you ever stop to think that customer service might be a little overwhelmed with subscriptions doubling recently?

I'm not saying that you should turn a blind eye...but maybe you just got off on the wrong foot
  • fmawfmaw Member Posts: 3
    Very nice review.

To me, it wasn't really clear if you had to pay for it monthly or not. Also, I expected a lot more of it than you just mentioned. Thanks for saving me from buying it .
  • ThriceShyThriceShy Member Posts: 44

Well, they'res some good points to this game too:

1.Cheap Item "Mall" items, i got 10%. exp and gold for 14 days for 600, which is totally worth it!

2.Nice community, i've met some very nice people, and guilds, i got a bunch of lvl 50 friends on Brumhart that give free gold and items everyday, currently at 450k :D.

3.PvP, hehe one word! Pwn3d!

4.Good GM's, well, thats an easy point, the gm's are on alot, and very helpful, they spawn boss mobs, and help you with general things.

5.Events, they're adding new events, starting today! Really cool events they're doing!

More will come, i gotta go to the doctor's

Tempus Vincit Omnia

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Originally posted by VIOL@TION
    The OP seems a bit whiney to me. I say be grateful that the game is F2P once you've paid the initial $. Did you ever stop to think that customer service might be a little overwhelmed with subscriptions doubling recently?I'm not saying that you should turn a blind eye...but maybe you just got off on the wrong foot image

Valid point, but at the same time look at it this way:

They are charging you for a game that is buggy as hell. The game DIDN'T used to be F2P, and you are still having to buy the game, yet they cannot fix the most mundane and essential of things: Questing.

At least polish a game so it is playable before releasing and trying to make people pay for it. How con-artist can you get?

• JLAristotleJLAristotle Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by JLAristotle

Thanks for the review i was almost going to buy it so you saved me an afternoon and 30-50 bucks.
    Well i found it new on ebay for 15 bucks plus shipping, for that price ill give it a try...  I know its lame to quote your self ,but ill also add my review in in 2-3 weeks.  Which i know will mean squat since you dont know me..
  • tpanthertpanther Member Posts: 2
    I played it a bit in the beta. From the sounds of it, they still haven't fixed the quests, and it's more effective grinding then questing anyway...why not just play Everquest or Anarchy Online for free for a while to get the grinding out of your system? Might not be as pretty, but much more developed. But my review may be rather aged, so i would resort to the newer ones before mine...
  • booleanopsbooleanops Member Posts: 7

I'm glad you decided to give it a go.. I have become strangely addicted to it.  It's still "all broke." but it fullfills my need to grind.

I'll elaborate in a new post.

-=Boo 

• tpanthertpanther Member Posts: 2
    Lemme know when (if they actually decide to) they fix it. Or if questing becomes better then grinding. For now, i flee back to other games... whatever they may be. Gamehopping FTW!