Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global Warming - New Study

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/01/23/climate.report.ap/index.html

This is the largest study ever done on this subject.  This is pretty conclusively stating that GW exists.  I believe it too.

However, is it necesarrily a bad thing?  Hear me out...

I live in Minnesota, THE coldest state in the USA.  This winter has been the mildest winter yet.  In fact, roses and petunias started to re-bloom in October, this is crazy shit!  Anyways, we are just loving the mild winter.

If you look at the globe, you will see that roughly 1/4 of the Earth is under ice.  This is a conservative figure as well.  If GW does indeed happen, wouldn't this make more land on Earth feasible for settlement?  Over 50% of Canada isn't at all developed or settled upon due to the Arctic-like conditions found in such places as the Northwestern Territory.  So if the hotter places get hotter, while the colder places become more liveable, it would appear that there is an UPSIDE to global warming.

It sounds crazy, but coming from someone who experiences mild cases of frostbite from walking my dog 1.5 miles in the dead of winter, I can't say I am against a little warmer weather.  There are other geological consequences for GW as well, but it is possible that the inhabitability of lands that perviously weren't will at least put a positive spin on this?

Also, if volcanic activity spews out 50 years worth of pollution at a crack (which they do), is there any way to 'get ahead' of the pollution curve?  My brother is in China right now, he said the smog is soooooo bad, he said it always looks like it is going to rain, but never does.  So pollution control is very necesarry, I just wonder what good it does when volcanoes, underground geysers and underwater eruptions nullify any environmentally protective measures we have taken.

I don't really take sides with either argument here, and I think scientists are taking wild stabs at this, since nobody truly understands the Earth's climate or the physics of our atmosphere.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Hey Dis havnt seen you for a while  Hapy New Year!

Nice read... Im still not convinced LOL

Fortunately like I said in another thread... all the things we can do to make ourselves feel better dont hurt, so whether the problem exists or not, whether we are contributing to it or not, the solutions are all good.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• Rreka'alRreka'al Member Posts: 450
    The land opening up wouldn't really help much if the entire planet is flooded from the afore-mentioned ice melting.

• SassymolassySassymolassy Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

This is the largest study ever done on this subject.  This is pretty conclusively stating that GW exists.  I believe it too.
    I live in Minnesota, THE coldest state in the USA.  This winter has been the mildest winter yet.  In fact, roses and petunias started to re-bloom in October, this is crazy shit!  Anyways, we are just loving the mild winter.
    If you look at the globe, you will see that roughly 1/4 of the Earth is under ice.  This is a conservative figure as well.  If GW does indeed happen, wouldn't this make more land on Earth feasible for settlement?  Over 50% of Canada isn't at all developed or settled upon due to the Arctic-like conditions found in such places as the Northwestern Territory.  So if the hotter places get hotter, while the colder places become more liveable, it would appear that there is an UPSIDE to global warming.
    It sounds crazy, but coming from someone who experiences mild cases of frostbite from walking my dog 1.5 miles in the dead of winter, I can't say I am against a little warmer weather.  There are other geological consequences for GW as well, but it is possible that the inhabitability of lands that perviously weren't will at least put a positive spin on this?
    Also, if volcanic activity spews out 50 years worth of pollution at a crack (which they do), is there any way to 'get ahead' of the pollution curve?  My brother is in China right now, he said the smog is soooooo bad, he said it always looks like it is going to rain, but never does.  So pollution control is very necesarry, I just wonder what good it does when volcanoes, underground geysers and underwater eruptions nullify any environmentally protective measures we have taken.
    I don't really take sides with either argument here, and I think scientists are taking wild stabs at this, since nobody truly understands the Earth's climate or the physics of our atmosphere.  Any thoughts?

Does this new study

A.) have official climate records that go back further than 100-200 years?

b.) give evidence to show warming isn't naturally occuring?

Dont go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. (Mark Twain)

• Spy_HIppoSpy_HIppo Member Posts: 322

well...global warming is kinda proven,but who the hezzle cares. It will happen without us and won't completely wipe out life. The plants will survive and replenish everything.

My mind has changed so much. Yet I'm still acting like I'm the same.

• MMHELMMHEL Member Posts: 313

Originally posted by Spy_HIppo

well...global warming is kinda proven,but who the hezzle cares. It will happen without us and won't completely wipe out life. The plants will survive and replenish everything.
    The reasons its bad is because its killing animals for example: When ice melts it fresh water, when salt water fish go into fresh water they die. Many poorer countries in Asia and other places depend on fish to bring food. Without Saltwater fish many countries would go into famen and a lot of people would die.
  • AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Global warming has two negative effects, as compared to current world weather conditions

A.) survivability in regions near the equator drops significantly as crops have a much harder time growing

B.) Flooding will inevitably occur as more water is released from the polar icecaps, possibly causing major problems along our coasts, as places that were once above the tide come fully under water.

So in short, global warming is good for the more northern and southern regions not directly on the coast in terms of habitability, bad everywhere else.

Originally posted by MMHEL

The reasons its bad is because its killing animals for example: When ice melts it fresh water, when salt water fish go into fresh water they die. Many poorer countries in Asia and other places depend on fish to bring food. Without Saltwater fish many countries would go into famen and a lot of people would die.

Sorry bub, but even if every scrap of water in the icecaps was released into the ocean, it still wouldn't lower the salinity enough to kill off more than a few of the weaker species.(Of course, by the time the globe is warm enough to do that, we have other problems to worry about)

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

I didn't ask why it was bad-why does it matter. It will happen no matter what and you know at least some oceanic life will remain. In that life there will be plants that will replenish the ozone. Eventually new polar Ice caps will develop and the cycle continues like it is now.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

I didn't ask why it was bad-why does it matter. It will happen no matter what and you know at least some oceanic life will remain. In that life there will be plants that will replenish the ozone. Eventually new polar Ice caps will develop and the cycle continues like it is now.

Yes, I for one am not concerned at all for "Mother Earth". She's fine, and Earth's ecology will continue, even if we nuke the crust into a radioactive shell.

The question is, will humanity, both our species and our civilization, be here too?

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

no-we'll die out soon. so will our civilazation. Then new species and intellegent life will come

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

no-we'll die out soon. so will our civilazation. Then new species and intellegent life will come
    It's not because YOU are not inteligent that you should immedialty discard the rest of us. Thanks.
  • ntcrawlerntcrawler Member Posts: 329

People have to die. There are too many of us and the species has to be thinned out and it will be because nature fixes it self.

Save earth, kill a man

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    Yes, but global warming also melts that ice which in turn causes the ocean to rise.  With the ocean rising New York, L.A., New Orleans, would all be under water.

I do believe global warming exists, but I don't think we (humans, etc.) are causing much of it.  I think it is a naturally occuring phenomenon.  If you look at the history of temps for the earth you'll see that the earth is constantly in a state of cooling and heating.  This is over thousands of years, but does happen. 

Check out this site from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record_of_the_past_1000_years

You'll see from the graph that the earth has in fact changed temperture on its own.  Cars have only been around for a century or so, coal power stations, maybe a century and a half?  What caused the earth to rise and fall in temperture without these?
  • olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

I live in Minnesota....
    Yo, like, wow man, far out, Minnesota, the Great White North, who'd a thunk it. Isn't that like, Canada or something? Can you get free stuff from Blizzard?
      Over 50% of Canada isn't at all developed or settled upon.....
    You mean, 50% of Canada has no Labatts, Tim Hortons, or hockey, bummer dude.
    It sounds crazy, but coming from someone who experiences mild cases of frostbite from walking my dog 1.5 miles in the dead of winter.....
    Hey dude, have you ever had to chisel your sled dog off the fire hydrant in February?
      My brother is in China right now....
    Cool dude, I bet he's number one in the pickup basketball game causes he can out rebound all those Chinese fellas...
    Me and the other hosers will be getting together for a traditional tundra dinner tonite, a six pack and a donut, and let you know what we've come up with to solve this world problem.  

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461
    Originally posted by ntcrawler

People have to die. There are too many of us and the species has to be thinned out and it will be because nature fixes it self.

Save earth, kill a man
    Thanks for volounteering to go first.
  • ntcrawlerntcrawler Member Posts: 329
    Oh I don't really care about earth enough to sacrifice myself...      Babies work just as fine.
  • Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515
    I think anyone who is concerned about global warming should read State of Fear by Micheal Crichton. It's fiction, but at the end he has an essay about his research on global warming. He has alos published an excellent essay online about the subject as well.

www.michaelcrichton.net/speeches/speeches_quote04.html

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286
    Originally posted by ntcrawler

Save earth, kill a man

Reminds me of Rainbow Six. In there, the basic plot is that a whole bunch of wacko nature-lovers decide they need to kill off Humanity with a modified Ebola Virus, so nature can survive.

Dumbest idea ever. If you think that the only way to help the planet is complete extermination of the Human Race, you can start with yourself.  Just think, one less CO2 producer on the planet. One less person filling the air with toxins.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

honestly though-what the big deal over it. We will die out one way or another and so will everything else. It's not very important is it?

P.S.we are intellegent. I meant a race as intellegent as us is bound to come up if life returns after it

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Yea your little eutopianic vision left out the fact that a majour portion of the landmasses in the world would be below sea level if the ice caps melted Including new york. Also loads of species will die out such as polar bears. All that fresh water from the ice that got dumped into the seas will cause majour problems with the seas currents which will alter the way things work. Also of course a lot of people will starve as a large portion of the crop growing land will be underwater.