Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Vanguard take away EVE players?

murdera2k6murdera2k6 Member UncommonPosts: 474

i know they are completely different games but do u think VG will take players away?

please post ur comments here.

please place ur vote, thanks for ur time.

"If they can make Penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you," - Muhammed Ali

Comments

• ViramorViramor Member Posts: 68

Absolutely not.

Many EVE players are former SWG players and hence have a strong dislike for any game that SOE is involved with. Regardless, Vanguard looks like just another uninnovative MMO rushed to market.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    maybe a few folks who've been killing time in EvE, but for the most part I don't see many people making the switch...its just too different and so far, not outstanding enough to be a must play game.  More WoW, DAOC and EQ players will make the move.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650
    Vanguard will never kill EVE. I can safely say that when Vanguard dies, EVE will still stand.

EvE is not as populated as WOW or in fact most mainstream MMOs but the community is solid, loyal and CCP is still on top of their game. Even after 3 or 4 years, CCP is still the best when it comes to customer support, innovation and such. They still care and love their community. As for the game itself, many are totaly in love with the genre and many more will in the future. People would be surprise on how strong and solid some MMOs are... heck.. even www.mankind.net is still up and that came out in 1998. (ok it's not as strong as it was lol)

The point is, Vanguard is an amazing MMO but don't be fooled by it's grandeur. Fantasy is starting to lose it's charm on many players... Vanguard also punish players with Mid-End computers and let's not neglect the fact that the word Sony scares alot of potential customer.

I've often thought about that simple question... Why did Microsoft and Sigil split? We might all hate Microsoft but the fact is this: They are NOT stupid and they didn't do much to keep Sigil affiliated with them. (I don,t know enough to actually give a full opinion on that but that's what I personaly think)

Still, I am still heading to Vanguard... :P But deep down, i'm just waiting on EVE  Avatar expansion!

• EQnanidanEQnanidan Member Posts: 48
    you would be stupid to think not. every time a new game comes out like VG there will always be players that leave to play it. and some will play both. but prob not enough that you will even know they left
  • RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    Will Carmelo Anthony + Allen Iverson team up to take away EVE players?
  • AedosenAedosen Member Posts: 234
    Probably some but no significant amount. Personally I think the effect of TBC has been bigger than Vanguard will ever have.
  • GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by Aedosen

Probably some but no significant amount. Personally I think the effect of TBC has been bigger than Vanguard will ever have.
    Agreed, and those players that left for Vanguard or TBC will come back in a matter of 2 - 3 months.
  • eledrianeledrian Member Posts: 10
    Some players will. Also some players from WoW, D&D, Linage2, UO, (continue gamelist here). But not many great numbers.

I used to play EVE myself, and I think it's one of the best (if not the best) MMORPG's I have ever played. BUT it required too much time, to both make money and then spend hours, guarding jumpgates, in order to keep up safety for others. (that's why I probally took 2 years to get a Battleship) ;)

Vanguard has more exciting solo-stuff, than EVE. And your missions/quests are not random, from an agent. So you can play for 20 mins, if you like. EVE requires between 30 mins, to 4 hours, to complete a mission, and you never know how long that mission is, before you get it.

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Let's face it, Vanguard is months away from being a playable game.

It is one of those MMO's that just ran out of money so they want us to pay for Beta testing their product now.

Lot's of buyers will try it and dump it.  

Personally I have had enough of Sony products to last me a lifetime.

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

Originally posted by EQnanidan
    you would be stupid to think not. every time a new game comes out like VG there will always be players that leave to play it. and some will play both. but prob not enough that you will even know they left
    EVE was actually one of the few games on the market that did not loose subscription numbers when WOW where released, there was a short period when subscription growth stopped just after WoW but it quickly picked up again.

Can be seen very well on this graph http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html. The plateau around Jan 05 is the months after WoW.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• RabidBowmanRabidBowman Member Posts: 41
    That has to be the most poorly designed chart ever created. Wonder if they could try breaking it up into several smaller charts?

The WoW line doesn't seem to plateau at all on its chart....just keeps climbing and climbing and climbing...but it's still a piss-poor chart.

Originally posted by RabidBowman
    That has to be the most poorly designed chart ever created. Wonder if they could try breaking it up into several smaller charts?The WoW line doesn't seem to plateau at all on its chart....just keeps climbing and climbing and climbing...but it's still a piss-poor chart.
    Not sure what you are talking about, it is broken up into smaller charts (0-120k, 70k-700k, 120k+). Problem is wow has so many subscribers compared to the others it would need it's own separate graph to show accurately.

The second problem is the distance between some of the updates for some mmorpgs but that's because several mmorpg companies refuse to give official subscription numbers, especially when they are falling. But that's something the graph maker can't do much about.

• kano71kano71 Member Posts: 207
    This thread pointless. btw  vanguard sucks so  it wont take any players away from anything. Yay another  troll and goblin game for the kiddies. maybe  my son will play it . Ohh and vanguard  will  not even some close to the player base  that WOW has and did that effect eve? ohh ya eve grew  during that time i forgot .. Please
  • RabidBowmanRabidBowman Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by kano71

This thread pointless. btw  vanguard sucks so  it wont take any players away from anything. Yay another  troll and goblin game for the kiddies. maybe  my son will play it . Ohh and vanguard  will  not even some close to the player base  that WOW has and did that effect eve? ohh ya eve grew  during that time i forgot .. Please
    Though i agree that Vanguard isn't the game some people are making it out to be, I don't think it's just because it's fantasy. I love fantasy, but that doesn't make me, or anyone else who does, a child.

I've tried the beta on that game it and refuses to capture my attention. It plays and looks just like EQ/EQ2/SWG and I am bored almost 10 mins after logging in each time. (Plus for some reason this is the first game that as i run along, the road passing by the bottom of my monitor makes me want to literally throw up. I must really be getting old.) My friend loves the hell out of it though, why? I have no idea.
  • EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485
    I voted no, but I will answer yes.

Yes, Vanguard will take away the EVE players that are secretly wishing EVE was a grind gmae like EQ2 or WoW. 

But those who like EVEs freeform sandbox, even if they give Vanguard a try, will be back in fairly short order.  Or, that's my take anyway.
  • TulisinTulisin Member Posts: 47

MMOGchart has been debunked repeatedly as 90 % crap and estimation. It is mostly touted by WoW players to demonstrate how pwn their game is.

Vanguard will likely draw people from each market, but as EQ1 and even Ultima Online have shown us, you can't kill an MMO. EQ1 still has the same amount of players it has had since pretty much ever. Vanguards particularly won't draw from current SoE games, since people will just buy the station pass ($25/month, SWG, EQ1, EQ2, TMO, Planetside, Vanguard subscription).

• Ken`ShieroKen`Shiero Member Posts: 289

To say that a game that a gameof the calibur of VanGuard will set forth and take EvE players is a jackass statement. They are two totally different games to start with and the time that one has been out defiitly says alot about the game and the genre. How many fantasy mmorpgs are there? Too many thats what and they are all the frickin same in my opinion. Elves and dwarves and dragons and all that Bull Sh!t. I love fantasy mmorpgs but damn, we need some new blood a game that will do it like it has never been done.

EvE is just plain great. There is no other game out there in the same genre can compete with it, enough said.

So to sum it up EvE great , VanGuard okay.

• saltyhamsaltyham Member Posts: 1
    im beta testing vanguard and i actually think it is a blast.  needs a few things before release but nothing major that cant be fixed quick with patches.  so yeah dont bash  a game u dont/havent played, u know u all with play it anyway even if u bash it, as it is something new and wow is stale, eve online is not actually y ystale as i still enjoy it, all new games take players away, but mmorpgs have a good return rate.  my 2c

Originally posted by Tulisin
    MMOGchart has been debunked repeatedly as 90 % crap and estimation. It is mostly touted by WoW players to demonstrate how pwn their game is.
    Might be but the eve numbers which where the interesting ones here are not estimations, CCP by their own admission sends MMOCHART monthly updates of their subscription numbers. And the numbers themselves corresponds very well to what can be estimated from avg users at peak hours etc making them at least in my opinion very believable.

• GamragGamrag Member Posts: 47
    I've been following vanguard for a long long time. I'd definitely give it a try, probably not when it first comes out, but after a few months once everything is stable. That said, I don't think I will be leaving EvE anytime soon. Still, it's good for a change every now and then. And I'd say EvE has some technical issues to work out right now, especially fleet fights and lag.

With a number of games coming out including vanguard, I'd say now is a good time to cut back on EvE a bit and try some different stuff. Just my view on things.
  • afroburzingafroburzing Member Posts: 71
    rofl vanguard is crap i played it for like 5 minutes, long enough to make the conclusion its (!!!ANOTHER!!!) xp/item grind.

im going to go nuts if a new mmo dosnt come out soon that doesnt involve gay levels!
  • Freedom1776Freedom1776 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by murdera2k6  
    i know they are completely different games but do u think VG will take players away?
    Vanguard won't be taking many players away from any game.

The standard for quality has been firmly set in place and Vanguard doesn't meet it.  I've been in Vanguard beta since the first batch of public invites back in 2005 when Microsoft Game Studios was involved.  Anyone who has played Eve, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, or even Everquest 2 would take ten steps forward in Vanguard and puke.  Unless and until a MMORPG raises the bar of quality, rather than flops around in the mud beneath it, the current MMO champs are not going to be affected much, if at all, by the lackluster titles coming down the pike these days.

New MMOs don't have to be revolutionary to pose a threat; just be polished and fluid.  If a WoW player, for example, sits down to a new game and sees the character jitters around at ten frames per second with all graphics settings minimized, blocky pixelated hard-to-see user interface, unresponsive confusing controls, poor quality generic graphics and animations, etc. he will just shake his head in dismay and go back to playing WoW.  Or Eve.  Or GW.

Personally, the day a new MMO outshines the current crop can't get here soon enough for me.  I'm just not holding my breath.
  • niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340
    The beta didn't even give us enough time to find out anything real.

You need at least 3 months playtime to get a decent oppinion about anything unless you're content with just shouting inane childish oneliner nonsense.

It is amazing how many people will actually display their own stupidity by making blank statements about a given game without going into detail about it. It is the internet equivalent of hanging a sign around your neck saying "I'm the village idiot".

This year seems promising to me and it has already started. I'm not a current World of Warcraft player myself but a few of my friends has returned now that The Burning Crusade has been released. Next up is Vanguard. Whether or not it will draw players from EVE is non-consequential. That sort of statement implies that people only play one game which at least for my part is nonsense and in my view is propably mostly only true for teenagers.

Later on we'll have Age of Conan and Warhammer to look forward to. I think 2007 will be interesting.
  • LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170
    The better question is why would it take away EVE players?
  • EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482
    I played vanguard for about a month to honestly give it a try. And it was ok. But to be honest it's alot of the same crap that you can get in other game. The problem with that is the OTHER games have been out for longer and are less glitchy and have more content. I mean Vanguards comming out in 3 days and still you fight monsters and they disapear for NO reason. It's a decent game, But it's also a long way from being called complete. Also people who are with EvE are most likely big Sci-fi fans. Adn i'm sure like me Vanguard doesn't scream PLAY ME I"M SCIENCE FICTION to them.