Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I quit WoW

x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745
Yes, I know you don't care.  But you're reading this so I will torture you anyway..

1) This game's community is crap and always has been.  You have the 1337-kiddies on one end of the spectrum and the hardcore RP nazis, who, though far fewer in number, are ten times as much of a pain in the ass.  I know it's the same on all MMOs but it seems exaggerated here - I don't remember DAOC being anywhere near this bad.

2) Meaningless expansion - it's ten levels of more of the same, except you get to turn all those shiny purples into Nexus Crystals when you replace them with some green you worked 1% as much for as what it just replaced.

3) Warriors & Priests get shafted in PvP since you can spec for your pve role and suck in PvP or you can be good in PvP and suck in PvE.  WoW has always been this way and never changed despite what the class CMs have said over and over again.  Whenever this issue is brought up clueless DPS types say they have the same issue, which is true, but only to a tiny fraction of the extent it is for these two classes.

.. anyway after two years I'm done healbotting.  Having a blast playing Quake 4 right now though ^..^.  Looking into Age of Conan, though WAR looks like a much better game right now (at least from a support character's perspective)

Comments

• MenawaMenawa Member Posts: 22

I don't see how  people continue to play these carrot-on-a-stick games such as WoW. The fanboys actually believe this game makes them feel above the world for some strange reason and I guess that why WoW has been called Warcrack. It takes no more intelligence to get the "big drops" from constantly wacking mobs than it does to pull a lever on a slot machine until the "big drop". 8 million trained apes and growing.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    It's all about how much time you have in your hands and what you can accomplish within those constraints.

Btw, the game is simple enough to be enjoyed by a younger population. It's a clean, easily accessible interface. Wish other companies were making half an attempt to create interfaces that did not interfere with the gameplay. An interface that is so clean and clear that does not need a manual just to use it score high in my book.

Given it's accessibility, younger people can enjoy themselves in the same manner us, more mature (so to speak) can. The difference is in what each category of gamers can accomplish. Speaking from my server's perspective, the vast majority of the people that have been part of the high end raiding community have been mature people (in attitude, not necessarily in age).

That being said, it's the easiest thing to over-generalise and stick tags to games and players. It's happening too often in these boards and vs not just this game.

Fun is fun. It's all that matters really.
  • vyper21oovyper21oo Member Posts: 48
    Just Because it has a million+  people paying for it does not make it the best.    Thats like saying KFC, McDonalds,  Burger King or any other fast food is the best because so many people buy their food!    While WOW is the leader of the MMO world, I  liked playing COV and DDOline  a hell of lof more.

Noble and true, you are the hero other heroes aspire to be. You are a natural leader, selfless and kind, who will put the lives of others above your own, and are steadfast in your pursuit of justice.
    Take the quiz!

"This game's community is crap..."

Depending on what you were looking for. If you were looking for crap, they have the nasty tendency to smear your shoes. The game world is like the real world, you got your fair share of good people and a fair share of people you'd rather avoid. The fact that the game is (now) popular, means that the whole thing is magnified in proportions.

In any case, I don't think that I have played a single game where I had the general chat channel activated, especially after I made my ties with the community and the people that I wanted to communicate with.

"Meaningless expansion ..."

If you're complaining that "it's more of the same", I would point you towards SWG or DAOC or AO or any other game where the expansion altered the gameplay in such a profound way that it was like playing a different game after that. In that sense, Blizzard did not make the mistake of trying to sell us a different game in the form of an expansion, and I'm glad for it. As for the expansion itself, I've hardly explored enough to give an accurate representation of it. All I know is that for the moment I'm overwhelmed by the new things.

"Warriors & Priests get shafted in PvP"

This is not an expansion complain but a general complain that I sympathise with (since I'm playing the role of a holy priest). I do like my spec, I don't mind, I make a difference (or at least I was before the expansion) in the battlegrounds. If you hated the healing role and was forced to it due to the raid mindset, I'm sorry. As far as my guild is concerned, it took Naxxramas to really make offspecs shine and show us how wrong the min/max approach was. But that was almost after a year of raiding, so maturity does take a while. You won't find this in your average MC/ BWL guild. You wouldn't find it in the early Naxxramas bosses either.

Bah, why am I talking about raiding when you're talking about PvP?

I guess because you were trying to combine the two, as I did. The difference I guess is that for me PvP was a bonus, while all the fun was in PvE. Thus I did not overly care if I could not do damage in PvP but was rather content to support my team (especially when they were smart enough to support me). My advice would be to focus on the aspects of the game that give you the most fun. Especially with the expansion. The PvP gear are by far the best you can get and surpass anything you can find in any instance. So if you enjoyed PvP but felt you had to raid to compete in the gear level, you don't have to any more, not with the expansion.

One last thing. There are alot of classes that can do an average job and get away with it in guilds that are not, lets say, focused enough. It was easy to identify the need for a max specced tanking warrior, or a max specced healing priest, or druid or paladin. But there is a huge gap in the damage of a full raid specced rogue in comparison to a mixed specced or PvP specced one. The same can be said about any class, with the possible exception of warlocks. But then again, warlocks had their own fair share of problems in PvE to begin with.

I guess it all falls down to the fact that certain guilds are not mature enough to go past the tank/heal min/max mentality and focus on how _everyone_ can improve the raid. But to do that, you need people who love what their doing, not people who do it out of necessity, as a chore and in order to have fun elsewhere in the game. In that sense, I'm glad that in the expansion the best equipment in the game are PvP rewards. It leaves raiding to the people who love it and put their energy into it out of the enjoyment they derive out of it.
  • Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by Menawa

I don't see how  people continue to play these carrot-on-a-stick games such as WoW. The fanboys actually believe this game makes them feel above the world for some strange reason and I guess that why WoW has been called Warcrack. It takes no more intelligence to get the "big drops" from constantly wacking mobs than it does to pull a lever on a slot machine until the "big drop". 8 million trained apes and growing.
     And there is a game out there that takes more intelligence to play  than WOW? pffff, They all pretty much run the same if you arent an idiot.
  • Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by vyper21oo

Just Because it has a million+  people paying for it does not make it the best.    Thats like saying KFC, McDonalds,  Burger King or any other fast food is the best because so many people buy their food!    While WOW is the leader of the MMO world, I  liked playing COV and DDOline  a hell of lof more.
     Thats like comparing apples and oranges. Your comparing fast food industry to gormet food. But I do see your point, its all a matter of opinion in the end.
  • cspjbcspjb Member Posts: 1
    Well i have been playing for  about 6 months and in that time i have seen more server issues than most other games I have played. If they are making so much cash why cant they get it together and fix the problem....
    "I don't see how  people continue to play these carrot-on-a-stick games such as WoW"

You've just fell into a generalisation pitfall I'm afraid. A good clean interface is far superior than a cumbersome, hard to master interface. An easy to get to but hard to master game is far superior than a hard for the sake of it game. I'm not sure if people actually understand what they want when they stick a tag in a game, either calling it easy or hard. People keep on playing this game because it's fun, or at least, more fun than anything currently out there. I guess it's hard for some people to grasp the concept of fun without a masochistic approach to the gender .

"The fanboys actually believe this game makes them feel above the world"

Actually, this is the attitude of all the niche garage games fan-boys out there. Makes them feel superior playing their "exclusive" stuff.

"It takes no more intelligence to get the "big drops""

You obviously never been there and never done that and it shows. Or, you got invited in a well established guild and got yourself a free ride. Guess what, the 39 other people in your raid put the effort so you can ridicule them with your statements. Makes me wonder on what ground people call themselves hardcore, when they can't even acknowledge the achievements of the people that share your quest space.

"8 million trained apes and growing"

So I guess the people who chose this game and have fun with it are bumbling idiots. I didn't know that such a choice put me in this category. Are there any other choices like this that turn me into an ape? Please enlighten me with your (obviously) higher intelligence.
  • theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684
    It's really sad how people reach for reasons to hate Wow, especially with the new expansion.

I don't even think half the people even read much about the expansion, much less experienced it.

People just look at the overall added content, and assume that that's all it will be, without even reading more about it.

Groovy.

• murlokermurloker Member UncommonPosts: 35
    3 big reasons why i play wow and why i always will do so for a long time,

First. GREAT COMMUNITY. Oh my gosh! I haven't have this great friends ( In the game )Since i was playing Text based game.

Get a guild, hook up with people. The only reason why you think its only  "1337kiddieswtflol" Or something like that is becouse they are the only players thats useing the freaking lookingforgroup channel. And, its even removed now. And for the love of god. I bet my right foot you used "1337" So many times you can count to it.

and 2nd.  I love,, luuvve the expension. Me 'heart' BC. Why? Becouse it's the best done areas in the history of game. And i dont really think any game has done any better expension. (That i ever played) I had tier 2, and worked my ass of for it. You know what? I enjoy being able to change it against green, then blue and atlast purpel items again. Becouse i was getting abit tierd of the same Armor animation every where.

3 Is there more ? Pvp. Is great, yeah i think so. And, by the way? You cant be pve specced as an warrior or priest and pvp? Ever heard of teamwork? *No? I bet not. Becouse im doing fine getting the flag to our base. Or being alive for a long,, long time. Ofc i cant really maintaine aggro on people. But what the heck? I still think its fun being the hitting bag.

Yeah go cry else where just becouse you couldn't find friends and some 12 year old kid ninjad your blue sword. Fire back on you BA**CH
  • ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I know for a fact that people are so jealous of WoW's success that they don't have anything better to do than trolling forums such as this one.
  • murlokermurloker Member UncommonPosts: 35

Oohh my god? You cant compare that? Many people buy fast food becouse it's cheaper and fast. For the love of god. World of warcraft isn't cheaper then anyother game. And it sure as hell takes a lot more of your free time to get big then on almost any other game...

Go'away EVE luvers, I know that it's hard for you.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

WoW does have its flaws, like any other game.  But the main thing to point out, that has already been said numerous times, is that, out of every MMORPG, WoW does the most things right.  They really polished this game when it first came out more then two years ago, and they continue to polish it frequently.  I use to hate the game because i didn't know shit and everybody had already played so i felt i could never dominate.  I quit and played many MMOs during that time, including EQ2, Eve and AC2. A year later i picked WOW up again.  I couldn't stop playing my troll rogue after that.  Once i hit 60, i kind of felt at a lost with the game.  My play schedule was always random so i wasn't exactly the perfect raiding guildie. I got my 60 mount, and would run around the AH roof for hours (lol).  My server was almost a ghosttown so you couldn't pug mc or zg like you could on other servers.  I hated my rouge in pvp because i felt they were at a disadvantage due to low armor and the need to do quick damage (extremely reliant on crits) and then disappear.  So TBC rolls out, i buy it, spend 48 hours having so much fun and what not, hitting lvl 61 then saying "i dont like rogues much" and rerolling a paladin. 

Now you are probably wondering why i am rambling on.  So let me get to a really important part about this topic.  I rerolled a paladin and now i am on the alliance side and im having as much fun (if not more) then the time i spent lvling my rogue.  I really enjoying being able to take dmg, heal, and even dps when i need to.  I can now, almost singehandedly, change the tide on the battlegrounds due to actually healing my teammates.  TBC can wait because im having a whole new experience with the regular game again and i am loving it.  This is what is great about WOW .  And if i eventually get tired of my pally, i can reroll some other class.

Now like i said before, wow has its flaws.  I want to point out some of them but also explain what blizzard has done to fix them.  End game content in wow is amazing and always expanding.  However, most people needed to spend a good portion of their time in high end raids getting those epic leet gear so they could rape everybody else at whatever.  It sucks for the casual raider like myself.  However, TBC is said to have fixed this by lowering the raids to 25 man and also having many many more 5, 10 and even 15 man raids.  OKay so, now PVP.  PVP is awesome.  However, this game was created with PVE in mind and therefore did not tie in PVP elements very well.  Rogues use to rape every class mercilessly. Now, they struggle.  Warriors recently got nerfed (rage normalization) because fury warriors use to cause far more dps then they ever should have...not to mention wearing PLATE and would slaughter many people at a time!!!  NOW the problem with pvp is range dps vs. melee dps.  Locks and hunters are always on the top of the dmg meters in BGs and its bullshit.  However, Blizz is always nerfing and buffing so maybe pvp will eventually be fixed.

Anyways, i love this game and wanted to give a little incite into it. 

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    As a person who did leave WOW at one point and recently returned to the game. I can say at first I may have agreed with you on a number of your points. But when you go off and see what else there is, WOW turns out to be a lot better than one would think. At first you see a simple game, a little dull nothing to get all excited about. Cartoony graphics and an easy to work with UI. Not much here over all right?

Well I thought that too. But when you go beyond what you see and get into the depths of the game you see so much more out there. You see crafting which can be dangerous (mining in Searing gorge ...Ick) you see so many little things that escape many players.

I can understand the frustration that many of the hard core PVPers may have right now. You work so hard to get the best gear by punding others into the ground and now a green kills off that hard earned purple. Oh well .... Life is like that. Work hard to get laid off when the company is bought out. It happens.

Myself I have found that quests I thought were useless to me are in fact needed ... I have one I dropped only to find out I really need it ...

Like other people have mentioned, there are other games out there that really messed up players (SWG.... major mess up), There are games with very limited content, or no PVP.

I am happy with the way WOW is. Young and old can pick it up and have a good time. Be it for the hard core player or the casual player. All in all it is just a game .... enjoy.
  • gladiatory2kgladiatory2k Member Posts: 79
    "I don't see how  people continue to play these carrot-on-a-stick games such as WoW"

If you don't like WOW, don't play...simple solution.

"The fanboys actually believe this game makes them feel above the world"

I am a cubicle monkey 40+ hours a week. I gotta get  my "above the world" fix somewhere

"It takes no more intelligence to get the "big drops""

I got other commitments, if I don't get a "big drop," I really don't think it will ruin my day.

"8 million trained apes and growing"

If they found a way to make a game with that much popularity, more power to them. Personally I am waiting for Hello Kitty Island Adventure to come out on my PS2.
  • WOWLagsWOWLags Member Posts: 115
    The game lacks content. Enough said.
  • CrueakCrueak Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by murloker

Oohh my god? You cant compare that? Many people buy fast food becouse it's cheaper and fast. For the love of god. World of warcraft isn't cheaper then anyother game. And it sure as hell takes a lot more of your free time to get big then on almost any other game...

Go'away EVE luvers, I know that it's hard for you.

Come on people, as vyper said just because it has 8 million subscribers(Which i bet it's not 8 million ACTIVE subscribers) does not make wow the best game ever,  The reason it has so many people actually playing is 1) it already had a huge playerbase interested in it due to the warcraft series.  and 2) it is such an easy game and targets the mass market which is why the community sucks.  and 3) the game was designed to be able to run smoothly on 3 to 5 year old computers so that appealed to people that may have been interested in other mmo's but did not want to upgrade to play(so hence the cartoony graphics and low polygon counts of the models).

WoW was nothing revolutionary it took the tried and true methods of past mmo's and improved and streamline them.  the only revolutionary thing about wow was the interface, but to me that hurt the game cuz of all the ui mods out there that basicly do everything for you and made an already easy game even easier.  So of course this is going to appeal to more people out there than more of the hardcore type mmo's. 

Personally i liked wow during the 3 months i played back when it was released but, during that 3 months i had on average lvl'd 2 characters a month to 60 and this was without even rushing through the content.  So i just got bored of the doing the same thing over and over again. May be with a different class but you are still doing the same quests, killing the same mobs, and wasting the same time.  So everything above is the reasons i quit way back then.  I am not going to say which mmo i am playing now or will be playing in the future cuz all it will do is get flamed and call a fanboi of such and such game.  WOW has mass appeal, but to the what some people may say is the minority that appeal dies really quickly after you get your first 60.

In the end all it really boils down too is.......................................OPINIONS.

Sad this had to be my first post here but i get tired of hearing on every single forum how the game is the best ever just because it has so many subscribers.  if i'm trolling oh well, so be it, get over it.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

"WoW is the leader of the MMO world" - fact

that is only part of your post that means anything, the rest is all opinion

• creidcreid Member Posts: 31

yeah your probably right,.wow is not a crap..besides no one force everyone to play wow its up to you if you want to play that game..and wow is really a great game,.
  • AnthonyCastAnthonyCast Member Posts: 5
    I said the same thing...I quit wow but then i was looking for another mmorpg then i couldnt find any so then my cousin started playing and so did 2 other of my cousins started playing. Then the game got more funner since i wasnt playing with myself anymore(No  Homo >.<).The game is fun just come back to it in like 3 months and it will be fun agian and even funner with friends that u know in RL
  • PunisherXPunisherX Member Posts: 231
    That is the idea, if you get bored of a game whether it be World of Warcraft, Runescape, or any other game! You should leave the game for a little while, then come back to it, this will make the game much better and more fun for you!!!
    Originally posted by PunisherX

That is the idea, if you get bored of a game whether it be World of Warcraft, Runescape, or any other game! You should leave the game for a little while, then come back to it, this will make the game much better and more fun for you!!!
    yeah your ryt,.coz when you  play  a lot of times like everyday its really possible that you can be bored to that game..so you should leave it for a while then come back when you want to play again..
  • C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    yea ur right no one does care, so why post it? go cry about WoW to ur mom then eat the cookie she gives u and go back to Runescape
    Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D

yea ur right no one does care, so why post it? go cry about WoW to ur mom then eat the cookie she gives u and go back to Runescape

dont like that game..lol..i think im gonna choose another game if i'd like to quit wow..
  • ErecErec Member Posts: 35

I quit WoW also game is stupid.