Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it really that draws people into this game?

Comments

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
    Originally posted by stryker31

plain and simple answer and im sure its been said a hundred times, ITS THE EASIST MMO OUT THERE.  when you can aggro almost a whole map and live long enough to have someone heal you, thats a little much.  plus its more simplistic than checkers. you kill stuff. thats it no crafting, no equipment, a really lackluster pvp, and oh ya ITS EASY. there really isnt much debate here.

It can be as HARD as you want, or as EASY as you want.

My "accomplishments" in old EQ could convince you that I care to play it as hard as it can be.  Since all MMOs are too easy anyway, I don't see the difference between this one, EQ or another.  I play just more daredevil and add the challenges myself, as in any other MMO.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

yep there is two sides to every argument. In defense of CoX it might appear too easy sometimes cause the missions are generated at random. I am interested in seeing how Hellgate london will turn out cause its also random mission generator. Its a lot like CoX I played that game extensively at E3. I admit I thought the AV battles were way too hard on villain side. its so hard cause AV +regen rate is insane now. so u need a /rad corrupter to debuff the hell out of the AV regen rate. edit- im confused cause its been awhile now. THose epic AVs were hard. thoser have +Regen and crazy powers. it took us 30+ mins to take one down. we had no /rad corrupter. the regular mission AVs were tough too though

I did NOT do the LRSF just read countless posts on it. So, I did not do all content. But I can speak for some task forces. like the villain respec TF is hella hard man those vines keep respawning its too hard. hero respec TF was just right a competent team will dewmolish it. it was fun but time consuming.

Anyway not trying to be a fanboi or a hater just trying to tell it like it is. some content is easy and simple while others just crazy hard

btw once again I want to emphasize Anofalye and I just obviously view somethings different. I think he said he has been around since like Issue 2 and I believe him cause he knows some history that I dont know. Well i did not start the game til post Issue 5 just a little before ED. So, for readers they see our posts just view them as conflicting viewpoints on certain topics. He isn't wrong and I dont think I'm wrong. just play the game or research it for yourself.

something I want to add I liked about it:

1) innovative how buffers and healers are regarded. Buffers are more valuable then full fledged healers. VoC players realize that buffer/debuffer is more efficient then healing. In the end game in WoW this becomes evident at lucifron raids cause mage/druid/priest can cast decurse. Well, in CoX this is all the way through. /kin corrupter and /rad corrupter were best support toons I thoiught (well one of the best) and both toons have minimal healing capacity

2) sidekick system here owns even though it opens the game up to massive PL'ing. something I did do on my stalker extensively I'm not going to lie. I pl'ed my stalker cause he was boring in PvE if I could do it again I'd PL that foo from lvl 1- 50. no regrets lol

3) admirable effort to steer away from loot whoring. there is no loot whoring here. sometimes in WoW i'd get touch when a guildie would pass on an item cuase they knew I wanted it. Well those times were RARE lol. I was a guild officer in a big guild and the good got overweighed by bad when I had to kick good ppl out of my guild cause they got greedy and ninja'ed something lol. Well in CoX there was no drama like this

4) Travel powers. Vertical movement was done well. they kept levels pretty simply I think cause ppl can literally zip miles across a level. Wish they added 'waliking on water' for superspeeders. good job overall

5) there are a few other things this game nails right. just hard to remem all the good when you're still sorta mad about the bad lol

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

The one major draw for me was variety. It took a long long long long time for me to get bored with this game - and I get bored easily.

1) Character design. It's not just a case of picking a class. You pick your two power sets and that combination can make for some quite varied gameplay.

2) Following from the previous point, the teamplay experience was similarly varied. The way you play your toon will depend on what other powersets are in the group. So it diminished the grind factor a lot.

Of course I loved the character costume stuff, the fact it was a superhero themed mmo etc. etc. but it was the varied gameplay that got me hooked and kept me there for so long.

• Mr.Man_7Mr.Man_7 Member Posts: 224
    Yea i read all these posts and like most of you it definatley has to be the character design and costume confiquration.With many other things... im only trying out the free trial but the game already got me hooked on...and im in a SG which kicks the game up a whole lot with its raids.

==============================
    He's not dead... he's electroencephalographically challenged.
    Currently waiting For:
    1st.WAR
    2nd.AoC
    3rd.GnH's
    4th. Sword of the New world: Granado Espada

Originally posted by vajuras
    1) innovative how buffers and healers are regarded. Buffers are more valuable then full fledged healers. VoC players realize that buffer/debuffer is more efficient then healing. In the end game in WoW this becomes evident at lucifron raids cause mage/druid/priest can cast decurse. Well, in CoX this is all the way through. /kin corrupter and /rad corrupter were best support toons I thoiught (well one of the best) and both toons have minimal healing capacity

I agree with you here.  Just want to add that depending on who you group with, different corruptors will be more welcome.  For example, a fire corruptor is IMO the best buffer and 1 of the best healer (or the best?).  Yet, they don't have any movement increase or attack rate increase that a rock brute will value that much.  But they do have a pretty good resist buff (which rock brutes won't need or appreciate), a good attack buff (everyone will like that one, but rock need movement increase, while others they prefer damage increase)...healing and rez on top of it.  The sonic corruptors have the strongest resist buffs, but again rock brutes don't need that.  Rock brutes will prefer a kin or rad corruptor, while any other brute should prefer a fire and find a sonic quite interesting.  If you play a fire corruptor and find a good electric brute, you will outmatch any rock + kin combo if you keep him buffed at all the time, since the electric brute with your buffs will reach the resist cap, but will be resistant to EVERY damage source and extremely un-affectable by various effects...unlike the rock who will always be vulnerable to some attack/eta debuff.  Yet, the fire corruptor needs the electric brute, while in the other case, it is the rock brute who need the kin...now a good electric brute will come to appreciate the fire corruptor a LOT, but not having the corruptor doesn't prevent him from playing, it just make him less efficient...an electric brute backed by a fire corruptor is a extremely deadly and efficient, as not only is the electric brute having a superior defense with the fire corruptor buffs, it has damage increase, no damage penalty, already faster attacks respawn...if someone play a fire corruptor, when you get in a group with an electric brute, make sure he is buffed all the time and if he is bright, he will come to cheerish your presence...a LOT.  (note that the electric brute need tough to be better than a rock brute with a fire corruptor buffs(cap him in lethal/smashing), while the rock will still be capped in lethal/smashing regardless of the buffs and be FAR from an electric on every other resist; yet the rock has more HPS with it buffs, more defense and less resists)

And I understand you angry state, if it was not for Vanguard, I would prolly still be angry at CoV, but when you see horrors, you come to cheerish what you have and defend it...a little zealously!    I realized all what COULD be...but I am also afraid of losing what IS.  And Stargate release is still quite FAR in time.

Man I min/max too much no wonder I burned myself out your post above is correct. I did appreciate having a /thermal behind my brute's back. They have some nice +dmg buffs and good debuffing. All corrupters are helpful in many ways even /cold with frostworks. and yeah most of all I adored /kin corrupter (speed boost, crack) & /rad. Although /thermal was close to my heart too.

but because I was a min/maxer, I did not get frostworks on my /cold corrupter. I just couldnt fit it cause I wanted a pvp build for sirens, etc. I had an optimized build for pvp. If all I did was PvE I woulda enjoyed CoX a lot more. Cause its much easier to simply just make a fun toon for just one thing (either PvE or pvp) cause the way the build system works.

ive noticed a few brutes and corrupters in pocket D, i was just wondering because arent they only in CoV?

Currently waiting For:
    1st.WAR
    2nd.AoC
    3rd.GnH's

Originally posted by Mr.Man_7

ive noticed a few brutes and corrupters in pocket D, i was just wondering because arent they only in CoV?

Yes, but pocket D is for BOTH, heroes and villains.

You prolly could have spot a few MasterMind if you spot fast...a stalker if you are persistant...and a dominator if you are lucky! 

All heroes archetypes seem to be present, but controllers seem to be rarers than other heroes in pocket D. 

The LFG tools won't help you much to group the other side however, since you will only see heroes or villains with these tools...but you can group anyone there, you just have to target the player or insert the command, can't use the LF tools.  My brute did group a controller, and my MM did group a scrapper in there.

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

What brought me in: Easily-obtained pick-up groups. I could care less about genre, but being able to hop on and easily meet people each time is pretty nice. The LFT tool really is first-class, and I'd hate it broadcast begging was my only out. (This on top of the fact that teaming isn't necessarily required anyway).

What keeps me: Variety in characters. Using WoW for an example, any character I make will have a little range, some armor to wear, a weapon to hit people with, a little crowd-control, little AOE, and a self-buff - the differences that exist often seem more cosmetic than fundamental and playstyles seem fairly similar. Then you level and get a buff like "2% to critical hit chance". It doesn't really feel like the choices I make are that significant. (Although stuff I find might be.)

In CoH, just 3 slots and I can double a power's damage. There's no auto-attack, and not only is my strategy very different for blaster vs controller vs scrapper etc, it's even different within an AT - Illusion plays very different from Earth, Dark Miasma from FF from Empathy, etc.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• shozikushoziku Member UncommonPosts: 95

I couple things draw me to this game. The first and foremost are the character models. The girls are just plain downright sexy. And you can costume them any way you like right from the beginning, you don't need to reach level 50 or defeat everything on the moon just to look great.

Second is that since it is not loot based, the game requires your skill in order to tell who is really a great player. It is not measured by your uber armor or sword but by how you control your superpowers. Even though someone else may have the same powers as you, you can easily outshine them by the way you play them and how well you understand your enemies.

But the best part is, you get to be a hero. Not just being one, but acting like one. You can save people, you can save your friends, you can lay your life down for them and make a name for yourself, you know, heroic.

• SSXPadisharSSXPadishar Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by Futurias

Pros

Best costume creator

You get to play superheroes

fast action

good particle effects

nice community

great travel

fighting more than one foe at a time

Inventions(got faith in this one even though it's not out yet)

Police Band missions(don't need to go to Shadow Shard for missions anymore, yay.)

Cons

nothing BUT combat to occupy time

no economy(some like this, I don't)

little depth of play(see above)

some servers can be hard to find groups ever since same subscriber base was

split between two games(CoV as well as CoH)

too many nerfs

Performance isn't consistent

Very repetitive

stories are not engaging because you are affecting nothing

sparse music score (need inspiring battle music when combat starts)

Bases are lacking(even admittedly by the Devs)

Mixed

Ageia physics, some neat effects but it hasn't really changed the gameplay.  Where is this technology

going?
    Reading through all of this, I believe Futurias sum'd it up the best so far. 

A thing to add: I also enjoy the level of control you have of your char vs most other games...

it just.....

feels really natural and adds to the over all superhero/villain feel.

I have been playing CoH/CoV since release and still activate my account once every 3-4 months or so.

Its a great game, it is simply hard to justify the monthly fee for myself. 

As to me, it is almost in the same class as console games (just MMO of course) and should only warrent a $5 or so monthly fee (I feel the same about DDO). 

After I played this game through the first year or so, it became harder and harder for me to play it more then a week at a time, as it really becomes same ol same ol, day in and day out.

Even then it is still a GREAT game and does bring me back after a few months...

to play for another week...

Its the super hero in meh I gues.... hehe

Pad's playing: WoW, HL, TR, GuildWars.
    Former MMO Exp: AOLNWN, M59, UO, AC1&2, EQ1&2, AO, SB, EVE, PS, EU, DAoC, DS, CoH/V, MxO, DDO, SWG, AA, Arch + many more.....

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

CoX has the best customization of any game out there right now.  Virtually impossible to find someone that looks just like you but with a different name floating over their head. 

As far as the supposed repetative missions I don't experience it.  Some previous posters tried to water down saying "there are only X kinds of missions!"  which is half-true.  I mean if you think about it WoW has only 3 quests:  Kill X mobs , Kill Boss_Mob, Loot X Items.  Anyone who played the game would say there is more to WoW than "just 3 quests" though. 

There are office missions, but the layouts vary.  Same with the cave, sewer, warehouse, underground base, etc.  Not to mention there are unique zone maps, typically tied to a story arc.  Villains will get instanced versions of Paragon City to do their evil deeds.

Not to mention with Villain newspaper and Hero police bands, you can get a good idea of what type of mish you want to run.

Originally posted by SSXPadishar

Originally posted by Futurias

Pros

Best costume creator

You get to play superheroes

fast action

good particle effects

nice community

great travel

fighting more than one foe at a time

Inventions(got faith in this one even though it's not out yet)

Police Band missions(don't need to go to Shadow Shard for missions anymore, yay.)

Cons

nothing BUT combat to occupy time

no economy(some like this, I don't)

little depth of play(see above)

some servers can be hard to find groups ever since same subscriber base was

split between two games(CoV as well as CoH)

too many nerfs

Performance isn't consistent

Very repetitive

stories are not engaging because you are affecting nothing

sparse music score (need inspiring battle music when combat starts)

Bases are lacking(even admittedly by the Devs)

Mixed

Ageia physics, some neat effects but it hasn't really changed the gameplay.  Where is this technology

going?
    Reading through all of this, I believe Futurias sum'd it up the best so far. 

A thing to add: I also enjoy the level of control you have of your char vs most other games...

it just.....

feels really natural and adds to the over all superhero/villain feel.

I have been playing CoH/CoV since release and still activate my account once every 3-4 months or so.

Its a great game, it is simply hard to justify the monthly fee for myself. 

As to me, it is almost in the same class as console games (just MMO of course) and should only warrent a $5 or so monthly fee (I feel the same about DDO). 

After I played this game through the first year or so, it became harder and harder for me to play it more then a week at a time, as it really becomes same ol same ol, day in and day out.

Even then it is still a GREAT game and does bring me back after a few months...

to play for another week...

Its the super hero in meh I gues.... hehe

I definatley agree with Futurias,could'nt state it better myself.The most effective con to me was noting but COMBAT to occupy time and to repetitive.They should have Training for the heros to occupy time when they just dont want to fight villians at the time an dlet the world go into havoc.

Currently waiting For:
    1st.WAR
    2nd.AoC
    3rd.GnH's

• DualityDuality Member Posts: 7
    Really... I love the hole game... The PVP system is great with the villains and heroes, the arena is awesome although its empty in low level places... I love the new patch too, Veteran rewards are great, A badge, Clothing item and/or A free tailor/respec(power reset) And you just got to love pocket D Really I think the game came out a great success and this is why i play it... I like games that come out exciting especially since i was in beta... I like plaync too <3 XD

• i8thewormi8theworm Member Posts: 27
    Not many games rival CoX in avatar customization.

More importantly, sometimes simplicity is it's own level of complexity.  I realize that sounds like some cheesy fortune cookie rambling, but it's one of the things that keeps me ingame.

There's no gear, just enhancements, which everyone has access to.  So your build and your tactics are all you have.  In PvP, tactics make more of a difference than in any other game I've played.

That simplicity seems to promote teaming (at least on the Heroes side) more as well.   Having one of every archetype helps considerably in PvE teams (try teaming like that in WoW).
    Originally posted by vajuras
    CoX was done on a low budget. it was made by a startup. I am amazed how well it has turned out for being down by a tiny team. Thats what I give CoX props for. I still miss it. It's still just one step from legendary just needs a half decent game designer to come in and fix it. I have heard it said that a game that has over 150k subs is a success. Well Cox has over that! So why cant they hire someone competnent and fix this game its really f---ed up. All the time _Castle_ seems like hes the only one tryiong to fix things. but one designer can only do so much. CuppaJoe was really great CM but she got promoted to Tabula Rasa which sucks for CoX cause the new one doesnt do anything. I tried to email her several times nothing man
    [late edit[ do not take my comment about villains blowing in end game 'literally' I am speaking from min/max point of view. I dont want to mislead people.

Update: just checked the CoV Brute forums. I'm not sure when this happened but at some point that new CoX mod Crickett did take the time to add my brute guide. just registered for the free trial going to checkout this issue 8. if I have time will try to resub for a month and see what new costume options they have.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Resons Coh hooked me .

1.fast gameplay/combat combos .

2.no risk of mudflation my other mmorpg is everquest.Their about as far apart in game design an style as you could get.

3.graphics .yeah i know its better some where else etc etc.but i can read the comp screens on desks,tons of little details .

4.You cant agro a whole map an live .they made hearding a thing of the past. an still yet what can agro you can kill ya fast depending on level an dificulty seting of the missions.

5. your build matters.if one is not careful you can nerf your self!good build makes things much more fun.deceptively simple game.

6.to make toons i drew when i was in high school.im 35 i so love the leave the game to the kiddies coment.most people in game that run events are adult.makeing toons with the character creator is as intresting in some ways as much as background.some times will take 3 an 4 hours reworking costums to get the look that fits the toon.

7.devs.not many games have i seen devs post as much a freely to the comunity.they do try to give the players what they want with in reson.

8.solo play,one can solo well if your build is good.group play if your build is good you can help make the team much more efficent.

9.less need of the three healer, dps ,tank. one can put together many arch types in group an work around who is their.

10.Stories .in game story arcs are good reads.hero side can feel like a hero an villian side can give one the feeling of a vilian but reading is required.

11. pvp.i hate pvp in most game .an suposidly a tanker in pvp is not that great /shrug i win more than i lose an have fun doing it.even zones that are pvp flaged an i dont want to pvp its fun to get by the villians or heros as the case may be.

the bad is less than most imho.

1. slow dev cycle , but issues are free.new stuff will be bugy for a bit but they iron them out mostly.

2. ui .weekest part imho . no custom ui's .hot buttons or macros a pain to set up.

3. no random floor plans.makes some missions stale way before they should.

4. hook.end game is meh.at max level theirs less an less to do besides pvp an badges.i make alts to fight this.but 30ish game on xp has a drag to it.character development slows down alot.yes it means something to get to 50,but 50 then means less to do.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
         I played CoH when it was first release for about 2 or 3 months just felt empty and dead to me. Guess I had trouble getting into it. Some of my friends played the game for over a year and love it. Lately I have grown bored with WoW as the game is ok and BC was nice thee community is still the worst I have ever experienced on a mmorpg.

Been thinking about giving CoH another try and was wondering if it was worth a shot or are there hardly any lower levels anymore?
    I played CoH for about 3 months last year , than i decided to leave. I thought the fact of just COMBAT alone was boring. But now the more i think about the more it draws me in. When i thought i was out , it pulled me right back in.

Currently waiting For:
    1st.WAR
    2nd.AoC
    3rd.GnH's

• The funnest thing so far has been super jump.  I love hopping around and just missing the roof and then going "Oh Noooooooooooooo" as I fall 10 stories.
  • mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    I think is the huge range of costume options and you can virutally name your hero anything you want.  The powers are cool.  The urban landscape is different than the open vastness of other mmos.  Also the game is relatively easy to play. 

I think its incredibly addicting, but then also incredibly boring at the same time.  The repetition is astounding.  With this line of thinking I need to play another mmo when I am subscribed to CoX.  Something to take away from the grind.
  • J0kerr1J0kerr1 Member Posts: 248
    I keep hearing people say customization, and in the begining of the game it is there. My biggest problem with this game is that you are stuck with one look through the entire thing. I guess you can get more costumes later on but its still the same 3 or 4 looks. I like loot that makes me character look different. You get to see them go from nothing to a superhero with all kind of stuff. I like loot.
  • mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747

the only thing i can thing of is that you can look like a super hero i guess, cuz there isn;t anything else to this game. You don't achive to get anything at all.

• grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507
    Originally posted by J0kerr1

I keep hearing people say customization, and in the begining of the game it is there. My biggest problem with this game is that you are stuck with one look through the entire thing. I guess you can get more costumes later on but its still the same 3 or 4 looks. I like loot that makes me character look different. You get to see them go from nothing to a superhero with all kind of stuff. I like loot.
    I have like 6 costume slots on my main...and enough free costume changes that I can change any one of em on a whim...in short, you are high.