Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOPIC DELETION

XaldorXaldor Member Posts: 236

How does one at MMORPG.com decide which posts to delete from the database, and which ones to keep?

I may be going crazy, but when I went online this morning and signed on to your website, I noticed that I could not find a thread that was just here yesterday.  This thread was by no means old...as I and a couple others posted on said thread just yesterday.

Anyway the thread I am speaking of  was titled "Xplorer who are you".  Like I said I amy be nuts this morning, and simply can not see it in front of my face...but at any rate, it got me wondering how you guys/gals at MMORPG.com make your decisions on deleting threads....Thanks...Xaldorimage

Comments

• MaximaneMaximane Member CommonPosts: 625

We don't really delete entire threads but individual posts inside threads when they violate our Rules of Conduct. However, we do move threads to other boards if they're simply in the wrong place. It is possible the thread was just simply moved. Take a look around.

--------------------
    Alex "Maximane" De Line
    - MMORPG.COM Staff -
    [email protected]

• XaldorXaldor Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Maximane

We don't really delete entire threads but individual posts inside threads when they violate our Rules of Conduct. However, we do move threads to other boards if they're simply in the wrong place. It is possible the thread was just simply moved. Take a look around.
    --------------------
    Alex "Maximane" De Line
    - MMORPG.COM Staff -
    [email protected]

I don't mean to be frank but someone there does delete threads.  I seem to remember a certain
    post created by Kriminal99...this posts topic had something to do with a logical argument for pvp in mmorpg's, or something like that.  Anyway this thread had about 275 posts, and was number 2 in the most active topics folder.  This thread is no longer any where to be found...so my logical conclusion is that threads are deleted from your website...If I am wrong please educate me...I appreciate it...Xaldorimage

Threads don't usually go "Poof!" in the night, especially big ones. As I said before if there was something offensive in that thread the individual post would have been deleted, if deleted, and not the entire thread. Thread deletion occurs seldomly. We'll have to take a look into it.

Thanks!

PS: Deletion of posts results in a 5-point reduction in rank per post deleted. This is one of the many, many reasons why entire threads are not usually deleted. Myself or another staff member will get back to you on this.

--------------------
    Alex "Maximane" De Line
    - MMORPG.COM Staff -
    [email protected]

ok...thanks for the quick response...by the way this site rocks!!!!Xaldorimage

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Within circumstances by which a Thread's Topic or the Entire Discussion is found to be in violation of mmorpg.com policies or standards, the thread will be Deleted without notice. It has been done on many occassion. 

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself falling into madness... Dive." - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694
    Since I am an old man.  And I am considering the amount of time here at the site, I know a few tricks that others may not.

The answer to your problem is this.  The most recent posts go back 7 pages.  Once those 7 pages are used and a topic no longer has room to be on the board it is saved in the "database".

Now, to be able to ressurect that post you have to go to the SEARCH bar at the top right hand of the screen and type in the name of your topic.  Hit "GO" and then it will bring you to however many topics it brings up.  I found the topic that you're speaking of by doing so.

To find a missing post
    Search Bar <---- Top right hand corner
    Type in -- Xplorer who are you
    Click Go

(it should then load up the topic and other topics pertaining to this)

"The difference between a millionaire and a ditchdigger is the millionaire thinks different and spends his time doing productive things"

- MMORPG.COM STAFF -

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

There you go, I hoped that helped.

--------------------
    Alex "Maximane" De Line
    - MMORPG.COM Staff -
    [email protected]

Thank you so much ...I really appreciate the dedication to your followers...Xaldorimage

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694
    It's no problem mang, just take it easy image

"The difference between a millionaire and a ditchdigger is the millionaire thinks different and spends his time doing productive things"

- MMORPG.COM STAFF -

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

"Followers" hehe we have a fan club.

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself falling into madness... Dive." - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

I don't mean to be frank but someone there does delete threads. I seem to remember a certain
    post created by Kriminal99...this posts topic had something to do with a logical argument for pvp in mmorpg's, or something like that. Anyway this thread had about 275 posts, and was number 2 in the most active topics folder. This thread is no longer any where to be found...so my logical conclusion is that threads are deleted from your website...If I am wrong please educate me...I appreciate it...Xaldor

Here it is, I even bumped it for you:

Click here for the Logical... thread.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Just a quick note here:

We *do* delete entire threads from time to time.  Typically this is only done on 2 occasions:

1) There is a duplicate thread in the forum

2) The entire topic is a violation of the rules

NOTE: When a topic is deleted, it does *not* affect those that posted in it.  However, before I delete them I somtimes delete posts in the thread where people broke rules, this does affect ranks for just those members.

Hope this helps clear this part up :)

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.