Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Americans smart?

SlickinfinitSlickinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 1,094
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCkYfYa8ePI  I seen this and am hoping that the maker went out of his way to find dumb people but seriously please tell me most  Americans are smarter then the people in this vid lol.

{(RIP)} SWG

Comments

• WhosFatWhosFat Member Posts: 92

That's called TV.

They go out and find the dumbest of the dumb and tape them forever. As soon as a person answers a couple questions right they move on to find someone dumber.

Anyone who thinks this represents anything is dumber than anyone in the vid. You can do the same in any country in the world.

And he kinda does look like Blair.

• InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115
    Collectively, yes us Americans are stupid. No denying that. But there are some of us that show some sparks of intelligence when we need to

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
    Originally posted by Infliction

Collectively, yes us Americans are stupid. No denying that. But there are some of us that show some sparks of intelligence when we need to
    actually, collectively, all humans are stupid.  no denying that.  nationality means nothing regarding inteligence.

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994
    I wonder how many people gave correct answers that they don't show.  Maybe that guy should go around Australia and see how many "stupid" people live there.

Also the part about the Australian Prime minister...no offense to any Australians...but who the hell knows what the Australian Prime minister looks like besides Australians and any of those who are VERY interested in international issues (or watch the government /news channels all day).  Thats like being asked to recognize the president of Mexico or the president of Germany.  Unless you happen to see their faces flash on T.V., most people wouldn't know what they look like, especially just meeting them on the street.

That said these types of videos are pretty amusing.  I don't think I would have believed the Prime Minister of Australia would just be strolling down the street meeting the average American citizen.  Only thing that gets me getting sorta angry is all of the comments on YouTube who take the video seriously and think that all Americans, and only all Americans, are really that stupid.

I laughed when I saw a guy put a pin on the continent of Australia which was labeled as North Korea.  Thats just pure stupidity.
  • InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115
    Originally posted by PlanoMM

actually, collectively, all humans are stupid.  no denying that.  nationality means nothing regarding inteligence. Stupid as compared to what, might I ask? And yes nationality means a lot regarding intelligence. The US has one of the worst education systems of all the developed nations in the world, and this definately reflects our collective intelligence.

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267

actually, collectively, all humans are stupid.  no denying that.  nationality means nothing regarding inteligence. Stupid as compared to what, might I ask? And yes nationality means a lot regarding intelligence. The US has one of the worst education systems of all the developed nations in the world, and this definately reflects our collective intelligence. horseshit.....pure and simple

nationality means nothing.  dont be racist.  worst compared to what?  Japan?  where they go to school for like 12 hrs a day, just so they can get a job working in a factory for 12 to 18 hrs a day.  trust me, i know what im talking about.  sorry if you think that anything less than that makes a person stupid.  btw, education systems dont reflect at all on inteligence.  there are genius' that go through the same education system that you went through.  theyre no less of a genius because they didnt go to school for 12 hrs a day.

and again, stupidity is a human trait.  nationality means nothing.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    Lan hit it on point. It's nothing but a TV show. I'm pretty sure if someone answered it right they would just edit it out. It's media like this that makes people stupid in general (no offence to author poster, etc.) to beleive such a mess and to do such a peice of crap like that.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• WhosFatWhosFat Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X
    Lan hit it on point. It's nothing but a TV show. I'm pretty sure if someone answered it right they would just edit it out. It's media like this that makes people stupid in general (no offence to author poster, etc.) to beleive such a mess and to do such a peice of crap like that.
    I thought I said that. :-/
  • IcefiddellIcefiddell Member Posts: 6

Personally i'd rather go for your both right for different reasons.  Firstly of course 'people' are stupid, as a collective were just plain right idiots on the other hand a 'person' can be very clever.  Then what you do is get a lot of clever people together in a group make them panic and watch all that inteligence go out he window.

I'm afraid i cant comment much on the American education system because my knowledge of that is none...well...none existant.  But hey George Bush got voted in twice into office so thats got to say somthing .  But in Amercia's defence from what i heard of the election candidates i hear that you didn't really have much to choice from.  Correct me if i'm wrong.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    Originally posted by WhosFat

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

I thought I said that. :-/

I'm just giving more power to the point.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• CptDogtoffeeCptDogtoffee Member Posts: 17

Errrmmm, having had the misfortune to see Jade Goodie on Celebrity Big Brother with her questions about eskimos last night, I think it fair to say that the Americans do not hold a monopoly on stupidity.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I think the word everyone is looking for is not stupid but rather IGNORANT, collectively Americans are ignorant and thus are known as the 'stupid' nation, when in fact it probably should be the 'ignorant' nation, now I'm not saying all yanks are ignorant... just too many...

And lol at people taking offence. Its just a little comedy.

O_o o_O

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461
    It's TV. Tho we should do the test over here. Ask all Americans to answer a list of questions. If it weren't for wikipedia and google I know many of them would screw up, or maybe not.

All I know is that I knew each and every answer to the questions. And it's pathetic I'm proud about that.

EDIT: woooooops I forgot it's was NEIL Armstrong. :(

"Next country to invade in the middle-east:" ITALY?! CUBA? KOREA?! CANADA???!!!

Iran was a good answer.

And I understand they confuse North-Korea with Australia. It's in the same hemisphere.
  • tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

Adding to this: www.youtube.com/watch

But anyways, you look long enough you'll find stupid asses anywhere. Probably doesn't help to have a camera pointed at you when you're not used to it.

• End_of_a_eraEnd_of_a_era Member Posts: 527

Every nation has dumb people tbh, America just has a higher population than most and are in the spotlight more than most.

+ The first thing you'll see from America is G Bush, so not a great start. Though i've been to America about 5/6 times and i've met some really nice people there, alot of the people i have met are really quite smart. It's a smash the media only focuses on the people who know nothing outside of their homes.

imageimage

• janjansonjanjanson Member Posts: 201

actually, collectively, all humans are stupid.  no denying that.  nationality means nothing regarding inteligence.

That is the truth of it.

The average IQ is 100, the way it is set up, how much intelligence that represents might vary slightly from region to region, but it is still pretty poor.

Not that I am a big fan of the IQ system, probably because mine is a bit low.

Originally posted by End_of_a_era

Every nation has dumb people tbh, America just has a higher population than most and are in the spotlight more than most.

+ The first thing you'll see from America is G Bush, so not a great start. Though i've been to America about 5/6 times and i've met some really nice people there, alot of the people i have met are really quite smart. It's a smash the media only focuses on the people who know nothing outside of their homes.
    Some are right. Mankind in general is stupid.

Tetsul.... I laughed my ass off with that vid. 
  • MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

Originally posted by MadAce

And I understand they confuse North-Korea with Australia. It's in the same hemisphere.

Is that some sort of arcane Belgian joke that I'm just not getting? There's really no such thing as an "Eastern" hemisphere as there is considered with the west. And, just for the geographically challenged, North Korea is in the Northern Hemisphere, Australia is in the south. Ass-about Christmas and all that shit, you know.

And, lastly, I'm an Australian who spent 6 and a half years living in the US. I'll go on record now and say Americans know more about us factually than we know about them.

• HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210

I'd like to say they are... but, I just can't justify that statement. Seriously, the number of stupid Americans I've come across seems to outweight the intelligent. But then again, there's a lot of stupid people amongst us Brits too.

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Hemisphere

Nobody in this part of the world calls it that. I can't stress that highly enough, it's Oceania, SE Asia, East Asia, the Orient, or just the East.

• End_of_a_eraEnd_of_a_era Member Posts: 527

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Hemisphere

Woo I'm just in the Western :D I'm near the East coast of England lol. I can see a little bit sticking out, hope i'm not from the east lol.

imageimage

• Frosting_53Frosting_53 Member Posts: 22
    I certainly feel pretty sad for the rest of the world if a nation of idiots, has surpassed every other country in basically every spectrum.
    Originally posted by Frosting_53

I certainly feel pretty sad for the rest of the world if a nation of idiots, has surpassed every other country in basically every spectrum.
    Biggest economy: nope.

Best education: Nope.

Most efficient military: Nope.

Most arrogance: Depends... Tied with Russians and French.

Largest number of profitable patents: Yes.

Most theorethical research: Nope.

Best food: Nope.

Richest population: Nope.

Best healthcare: Nope.

Most efficient space exploration: Nope.

I bet you were meaning to say "every part of the spectrum". Which parts did I miss?
  • fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

Originally posted by Frosting_53

don't brag, the world still has soccer.