Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop emulating WOW please.

Comments

• vanidorvanidor Member Posts: 32

I am tired of people saying the interface is similar to wows.  Go play EQ/DAOC/Meridian 59/AC/EQ2/Horizons or any number of other MMOS.  Wows interface was not the best.  I don't even think wow is the best game even though millions of people play it.  I think there are various choices for interfaces and EQ allowed players to customize this very effectively.  LOTRO will be another game where the developers will have to allow for interface changes to occur in order to satisfy the people who claim the interface is too similar to another game.  I have played MMOs since the first game Meridian 59 came out.  The interface has got to be basic and in all reality very similar to the last game.  The buttons need to be placed easy to reach and hotbars the same.  You need to easily read stats and so on. 

Get over the interface similarities   I can't believe it even matters.  For heck sakes think about the similarities of all these games to D and D.  We can all draw similarities from these games or from other books for that matter

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    Originally posted by Gallant

If this game and/or it's interface is a "cousin of WOW's" it has already turned me off. WOW is the worst thing ever to happen to MMO's. So far no game has done MMORPG as good as (let alone better than) DAOC IMO.

I'm curious, as devoted MMO players, what do you guys think it will take to bring a game to the next level? What IS the next level? And, finally, has the over popularity of the ultra dumbed down WOW permenantly gimped the wonderful world of MMO's?
    Personally I think as gamers get older we don't have as much time as we once did to play games.  Since we don't have as much time we don't want our games as difficult.  WoW understood this and was easy to lvl and the game as a whole isn't hard.  Games that are hard, require massive amounts of time won't sell as much as the easy ones. 

Also I think WoW is the next level of MMO gaming.  Its difficulty is the next lvl.  People don't want to have to play an MMO for years to accomplish a high lvl char.  In WoW your first char took about a months play  time.  For Alts two weeks at best.  Until we as MMO gamers get tired of the easy games I think WoW and it endless clones will continue to dominate the MMO market.
  • mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    Originally posted by Yanari

Originally posted by therock3000

hell.. after the harry potter movie series are over, i want them to make  Harry Potter Online RPG!
    I'd actually be shocked if this doesn't happen. I heard that EA was previously making an MMO world of Harry Potter and scrubbed it for various reasons. 
  • phanatxphanatx Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by admriker4

Originally posted by baphamet

LOTRO is probably going to be a big sucsess....but let me just say that if you hate wow you are probably going to hate this one too.

Trust me, this game is gonna be a huge flop. DDO will have more accounts. I want this game to be a huge hit as Ive followed it for 8 years and am a big tolkien fan. But I got to play it at E3 and it plain sucks.
    Its a clone of WoW but not a very good one. WoW's combat is fun, LOTR's is boring and ugly to watch. WoW's UI is easy to use while LOTR is similiar-looking but missing some stuff to make it great. LOTR is also a very small game and you will quickly run out of places to explore.

So you saw a game - which at that time was in its ALPHA stage, and you made your mind up already...that is pathetic... truly..

Have you followed the press available to read about the changes they have made since then? Or the ones that will be instilled when its released? probably not..but guess what? I really don't care.. im tired of people judging a game  based on a small sample, or even through ignorance of the changes.. but that's ok.. you can sit on the sidelines during launch of this game, and as a SUPPOSED tolkein fan, you can cry when it does well, and you are not there to see it.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581
    The UI from the screenshots looks like a mix of AC2 and WoW.   The devs have said they are not going to re-invent the wheel for the UI and use what is widely accepted so players immediately feel comfortable.   In this case I think it is a good idea for LoTRO because one of Turbines major weaknesses is UI's.   And lets face it, every mmorpg gamer at some point has tried WoW.    The game isn't the most successful because they got alot of things wrong.   They did get alot of things right that they themselves borrowed from every other MMORPG before it.   I would hope the UI in LoTRO when it launches is an evolution of all the games before it wrapped in a very accessable package.   Turbines strength is content and that is where they should be focusing not trying to work on an area that they have continually had problems in the past.   I think DDO is a decent game but the UI is just not my cup of tea.  If they are going to borrow anything from WoW I would hope its the UI and create an original game unlike WoW.
  • zaxangzaxang Member Posts: 22
    the game's ui looks to be similar to WoW, yes, but come on...innovating a UI seems like something far too unnecessary. The gameplay is what matters, not the UI. Plus, isn't the purpose of a UI to provide easy and managable gameplay without annoyance? WoW has a good interface that does just that; why not learn from the competition and build from that platform? If this game does the job of providing better gameplay than WoW, then they can just use WoW's UI for all I care...that's what matters to me: gameplay.

Sinq, 60 Night Elf Hunter Skullcrusher Alliance [RIP]
    Xange, 57 Undead Mage Mage Executus Horde [RIP]

Currently Playing: I live in fear of the NDA police.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    I agree with the above gripes about wow, and also was a long time daoc player.

While I personally could never really get into the game, I think wow has basically brought the traditional formula to its highest pinacle. Its success will likely spawn many clones that again follow the traditional formula, which I think is unfortunate.

The primary areas that need to be improved in the genre are grind, end game and boring sit and watch combat. Some of these problems are being adressed most notably in Warhammer online and Age of Conan, so I think there is some hope for the genre on the horizon.
  • dragon733dragon733 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    IMHO, all of these MMO makers making their games to emulate WoW is complete crap! I personally think WoW is crap, and can't believe it's so popular! Make the games unique, your own way, revolutionize the market with brand new never before seen stuff! Not this WoW crap......

"WOW is the worst thing ever to happen to MMO's."

I know!!! And these companies are all seeking to emulate WoW and make similar games! That's a mistake, you're ruining your games! Make unique games having nothing to do with WoW, like UO! Those are the winners IMO.

Playing: BF2142

Waiting For: Jumpgate: Evolution

Played: UO, DAoC, MCO, EQ, AO, TSO, Shadowbane, Planetside, SWG, FFXI, CoH, L2, EQ2, WoW, MxO, EVE, AoC

Played 6mo+: UO, EVE

• shukurimushukurimu Member UncommonPosts: 4

well...  i feel if a UI works, use it.. nothing like diving into a game with a completely new UI and be totally lost!  for many i have played with, a new UI is great and nothing is wrong with it.. but again, it may turn many players off just to get used to a UI..  after all, many of us do NOT even bother to read an instruction booklet.  C'mon, really, when was the last time anyone has ever read an instruction booklet? is that what all of you want to be doing release date on games? reading a 60 page manual on the UI?  or just saying, ok this is a familiar UI and start playing?  and besides WoW copied its UI anyhow!

as far as WoW goes, i do not like the game at all... not to say it isn't fun, but many MMO's are fun with a select group of players..  Heck even DDO was fun with the same players..  it is also about the community that makes the game, not just the game itself.  Thats what made SWG such a great game was the community ( not to forget the complexities of the game)

i feel if a game that came out that had SWG crafting, mixed with WoW/DDO/Guild Wars playstyle.. it would be the greatest MMO ever.. so.. who is gonna make it?

shuky

My name is Shuky,
    I live on the second floor;
    I live upstairs from you,
    YEAH I think you've seen me before!

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

OMG, these guys are a rip off!!!  I found a UI that uses the character name, the spells, chat, and inventory!!!  They totally must have copied the ideas!  This is that WoW game you're all talking about, right?  Holy crap, it even shows active buffs!

Oh, wait, that was Everquest...  Didn't that come out in the 90s?  UIs have the same things, in different locations, with a slightly different graphic.  What the hell do you want/expect?  A heart monitor?  Perhaps something that tells you when you need to go #2?  I know, you could really use a button that auto-targets, moves to the proper location, auto-attacks, auto-casts, then auto-loots the corpse...  Is that useful enough for you?

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by brihtwulf

OMG, these guys are a rip off!!!  I found a UI that uses the character name, the spells, chat, and inventory!!!  They totally must have copied the ideas!  This is that WoW game you're all talking about, right?  Holy crap, it even shows active buffs!

Oh, wait, that was Everquest...  Didn't that come out in the 90s?  UIs have the same things, in different locations, with a slightly different graphic.  What the hell do you want/expect?  A heart monitor?  Perhaps something that tells you when you need to go #2?  I know, you could really use a button that auto-targets, moves to the proper location, auto-attacks, auto-casts, then auto-loots the corpse...  Is that useful enough for you?
    LOL, Amen brother, amen. If the people who complain about things like AI would get off their provebial butts and design something better, then I personally would give merit to their complaints. Personally, as long as the UI is logical, that's all that  matters to me.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• TommyKHartTommyKHart Member UncommonPosts: 294

Every game should ahve its own style of ui. To give the game a feel of its own and allow the player something new. If ppl don't like wow, seeing simular ui is a big turn off.

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

It's not what you think it is...trust me.

• TommyKHartTommyKHart Member UncommonPosts: 294

You've taken all the nice texture out of the eq1 ui. Texture is one of the things that gives a game style. When ppl say the ui are the same they probally mean its black and simple with no style (like wow). I doubt anyone is talking about chat windows, buff windows ect...

The reason they probally go for the black bland look is because everyone has different styles so less ppl will be put off by it. There will be loads of ui created if you want something different. just look around when the game is out.

• xrebelxrebel Member Posts: 133
    Personally I wouldnt mind having a game say this:

Go to interface options and choose...

WoW

EQ

DAoC

etc...

and it changes the interface to reflect on whichever variation you most liked.

Who cares what it looks like? Seriously, why argue over what it looks like? Play the game and love it or hate it, but the interface (if it performs the function you need it to) really shouldnt matter that much...

Everyone likes somthing a little different... I'm guessing 90% based on the first MMO you played

Retired from WoW
    Rebellion - 60 Warlock || Kalaa - 60 Warrior
    Littlerebel - 60 Hunter || Albie - 60 Shaman
    Played: Erm, a lot more.

• Infernus_sinInfernus_sin Member Posts: 34
    First off I'd just like to point out that WoW now has 8 million subscribers... it sucks hmm.... sure... HAH. Second I'm glad WoW chose that type of graphics... I'd would of liked it either way if they chose a more "realistic" type graphic also but what i've noticed is that those with realistic graphics are laggy as hell I have a top end machine all set and ready and surpass the requirements for Windows Vista.

Have you tried Vangaurd? yeah... What about EQ2... hmm... When was the last time you had smooth gameplay for a session? (I hear the sounds of eq2 lovers and Vangaurd lovers saying "I HAVE!! I RUN REALLY SMOOTH" right now in the posts that follow... don't give me that sh** people lie so how many Ini. tweaks did you do?) See with WoW, Lotro, and i'm assuming Warhammer (who people are complaining that have WoW graphics AGAIN go figure) will have SMOOTH gameplay. I'm also looking foward to AoC but like i'm saying I'm worried about the amount of lag and stability the game will have.

So yes... please stop comparing this game to WoW because of the graphics... this "Happy go lucky world" you people are talking about is completely stupid... how bout you go play ROSE online and see what a real happy go lucky world mmorpg game is.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    I just dont get it why kids who have had their mmo-virginity lost on WoW come here and every other place to whine and moan about how "everything" is a WoW clone or copy of it in someway, because come to face reality, WoW is a copy/clone to every MMORPG that was released before IT, Blizzard has had 0 (zero) own ideas in the developement of WoW, everything you see in WoW has already been used in other MMORPG's, they've just copypasted stuff in and made them look/work different.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Originally posted by Infernus_sin

First off I'd just like to point out that WoW now has 8 million subscribers... it sucks hmm.... sure... HAH.

8 million people play wow and it's a confirmation that it rocks?!? How many people have supported Hitler? Does that make him good?

How many people hates wow, that is the real question.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    The UI isn't the only thing in the game that mimics WoW.
  • green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Spiider

Originally posted by Infernus_sin

First off I'd just like to point out that WoW now has 8 million subscribers... it sucks hmm.... sure... HAH.
    8 million people play wow and it's a confirmation that it rocks?!? How many people have supported Hitler? Does that make him good? How many people hates wow, that is the real question.

Hitler was a &%$# ... no I can't use that kind of language here but he was inarguably a master politician. If you think modern politicians don't study and employ his techniques today then you're living in fairyland.

You can count me amongst the people who hate WoW - but just because of its godawful end-game. From 1-60 I loved it. The game is so popular because they got a lot of things right. So it's only natural that other mmos will emulate those elements of WoW which made it such a success. Hopefully they'll also innovate and improve as well but you don't completely ignore a winning forumula.

• Infernus_sinInfernus_sin Member Posts: 34
    Lol @ comparing WoW to Hitler
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Gallant, please don't be ridiculously ignorant...

WoW was not a revolution in any sense, it only did a lot of things right because it ripped off the successes of a lot of other games AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT obviously. 

The only thing that matters for the interface is PLAYABILITY.  That's it.  Is the interface good enough to allow new players and seasoned players alike to do what they want to do? YES? GREAT - shut up get gaming.

The interface is functional so worry about all the elements of MMO's that are lacking instead.  And as I'm sure everyone knows, there are many of these issues that we'd rather have addressed and inovated upon.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Given that WoW has 8 million players, and that its interface is successful and popular, why would a new game WANT or NEED to deviate a lot from that format? Wouldnt that format just make your game more accessible to more players? You dont deviate from a successful standard 'just to be different'. Liek it or not, WoW has set the standard, and other games will copy successful aspects of WoW just like WoW copied them from other games.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    Originally posted by Eol-

Given that WoW has 8 million players, and that its interface is successful and popular, why would a new game WANT or NEED to deviate a lot from that format? Wouldnt that format just make your game more accessible to more players? You dont deviate from a successful standard 'just to be different'. Liek it or not, WoW has set the standard, and other games will copy successful aspects of WoW just like WoW copied them from other games.
    Quite right.  There is no sense in re-inventing the wheel.  WoW didn't even "invent" their interface.  They took the idea from previous games like Everquest and Ultima Online.  And they certainly didn't invent the gameplay style.  Hell, they didn't even invent the game style, as it's a blatant rip-off of Warhammer.  But when something is done well, or done right, there is no harm in keeping those aspects.  Even if you're trying to break the mold, there is no point in throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
  • eshieshi Member Posts: 99
    all that Blizzard did was copy and pasted ideas and techniques from other games, pity they overlooked SWG(pre-cu): the greatest combat system ever, and then they slapped on a super easy user-system so anyone could jump in and play.  And thats why so many people play.  Not to mention WoW emulates a single player game in the fact that it doesn't have anymore player community than a single player with online features has.  The only thing WoW did right was the easy playing factor(if they're goal was to make money), i just hope that not all games will follow this, i prefer playing games that are a challenge, i'd rather not have a 'I win' button that you spam