Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: So You Want to be an MMO Developer: IV

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Nick Parkinson, the Community Manager for Sigil's Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, returns to write the last in his four part series of articles that highlight their team and at the same time answer the question: "So You Want to be an MMO Developer?"

We're lumping Quality Assurance, Customer Support and Community together because while the jobs are very much different all three are often seen as "foot in the door" jobs, so to speak. Meaning, a lot of folks get hired on in a position in one of these areas and want to eventually move on to some other area (typically design, though sometimes art). If you find yourself applying for one, don't feel that you need to keep that fact a secret either as it's usually not a problem.

Anyway, QA and CS people can prepare in much the same way you would for game design. Play lots of different kind of games, be active in the community and give good feedback where you can. For community particularly, and CS too having an amiable, generally good natured personality goes a long way. If you're just not a people person, you probably won't like being a GM or on the community team a whole bunch.

You can read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• EthanaelEthanael Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Quick, simple and to the point. Given that you guys are in crunch mode and working your butt off, thanks a lot for the article.

I find that I am going to try to get into a testing position, given my experience in the independent development side of the house. Being familiar with programming, design, and actual beta testing AAA games and Indie games.  My initial goal after that would be to move into some sort of design position, with a long term goal leading into a management position.

My question is. When someone is hired with Sigil, in the QA department, with the desire to move into Design or Programming, do you guys have any sort of program where you actually have some sort of mentor? Like, teaming a tester up with a designer to see what that designer does in his design position, etc?

Thanks again,
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Thanks a bunch for the article, that's very much appreciated and always so very interesting.

However, to answer the poster above me, I really doubt they took time to do this while they are in crunch mode. IMHO, they probably did it a while ago and now just publishing it... but I've been proved to be wrong :P

• tehclamtehclam Member Posts: 11
    Mmmm. Rachel. I'd hit it.