Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The future of WOW.

I wanted to write this thread to express what alot of players in the WOW forums have also been expressing and feel that the future of WOW takes away the basic dynamics of what the game used to be.

Mostly, I left the game because I got fed up of Blizzard trying to balance out the classes. I wanted to play WOW because of the mage. But, then things changed how PVP was managed and contended with and mages were severely nerfed in ways. Sure they still hold good upfront burst DPS but are they not the kings and queens of magic? Why is it that other classes can rival the DPS of a mage yet have all round better defence. Blizzard also changed how mages are seen as by nerfing their AOE  whilst buffing other classes to rival against the offences of the mage. The trade off of having the best DPS but lower defence has not made what mages are today.

Other classes have been changed to how they were supposed to be played. Warlocks are changing into more like shadow mages since they got recently nerfed with their DOT damage but got buffed to put out more burst DPS and defences all round. I can clearly see how locks will replace mages in raids in the BC.

I am not here to lay down specifics as proof can be seen in the officical WOW forums. My point is that many classes are evolving into what Blizzard claim as "theory-based" but in real practice classes are changing into roles that many players are not  happy with. Some can't see the trade-offs for the nerfs while others can't understand why the game is evolving into classes that have to be upto par in the PVP playing field. Many just want the game to play the characters in their specific roles. Abit like how in Guild Wars, you can design a character tailored for a specific function, Blizzard have gone the other direction in my opinion.

The future of classes is constantly changing and players are having to adapt. Is there something wrong here that players passionate about their class have to adapt to stronger competition in PVP whilst minimizing their purpose in the context of the game? Some claim other healing classes like the Druid are rivalling the healing power of the Priest , locks the new AOE class (Seed of Corruption), warriors with a rage nerf and pallies with more aggro holding ability.

I believe that the constant shift of dynamics of the classes and nerfs is drawing players away. Blizzard should design the game where changes have been throughly investigated before presenting changes that have to be altered or nerfed. It is certainly not good to keep changing classes roles, bottom line.

Comments

• FunKPandaFunKPanda Member Posts: 155
    The problem is that everyone wants to be the best at something, so what if a warlock does more damage in PvE than you? Shouldnt you just be enjoying the game and the instance your participating in? Its PvE, theres no race or competition to see whose the best in your guild, and if you do have a competition like that, your guild should probably step back and redo its policies. Because, in my experience, when raiders try to compete against each other in dps during raids, it ends in bad situations such as gaining aggro.

PvP, however is another matter, i do believe there is room for small modifications, but it's been said a million times over, PvP is not balanced for 1v1 situations. Yet, people don't understand that concept. It's the "diablo factor", where everyone wants to make their characters godlike. Which is NOT an unreasonable claim, yet you must realize that WoW isn't designed that way, it's meant for team play.

Also, you must realize that maybe your playstyle doesn't fit your spec. If your trying to PvP as a frost mage and expect godlike damage, you have to realize that what frost lacks in damage, it makes up in control with it's added slow effect. I personally believe that if you want the most damage from the mage class, you would want to be Fire since it's secondary abilities increase damage. Arcane tree though, im not that familiar with.

Pardon my punctuation if it's difficult to read.

"Without funk, is there hope for panda?" -Derivative of Ishmael

http://gravgaming.net
    A site for pro and recreational gaming.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Oh god another whinning mage, you guys floaded the hunter class forum after 2.0.1 patch and now you bring your fight here?

Its been said countless times that these small change to classes were need for TBC expansion so in live right now things are rather un-ballanced.

Warriors are still the best Tanks

Priests are still the best healers

Druids are still the best hybrid (tanks/dps/healer)

Pallys are still the best offtank healers

Locks are still the best Dotters

Rouges are still the best DPS

Mages are still the 2nd best DPS'ers and best CC'ers

Hunters are still the 3rd best DPS'ers

Before these changes you needed a tank and priests for any 5man raid, but now we dont, now we can for example take a feral druid as a tank a hunter's pet can now be a good offtank.  Hunters are now seen to be as good as a mage on DPS so will hopfuly be inivited to more raids.

What I am trying to say is that you no longer need the cookie cutter group (Warrior,Priest,Mage,Rogue,Random), this im my eyes is great and will make the game better.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by coffee

Oh god another whinning mage, you guys floaded the hunter class forum after 2.0.1 patch and now you bring your fight here?

Its been said countless times that these small change to classes were need for TBC expansion so in live right now things are rather un-ballanced.

Before these changes you needed a tank and priests for any 5man raid, but now we dont, now we can for example take a feral druid as a tank a hunter's pet can now be a good offtank.  Hunters are now seen to be as good as a mage on DPS so will hopfuly be inivited to more raids.

What I am trying to say is that you no longer need the cookie cutter group (Warrior,Priest,Mage,Rogue,Random), this im my eyes is great and will make the game better.
    I love how you left shaman out of the picture there .

Anyways, mages have the best CC of any class. They can also get amazing DPS if they spec right.

Hunters and Locks DO need a nerf though.
  • coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Nadril

Originally posted by coffee

I love how you left shaman out of the picture there .

Anyways, mages have the best CC of any class. They can also get amazing DPS if they spec right.

Hunters and Locks DO need a nerf though. HeHe im alliance so cant realy comment on shammys.

Locks have always needed a bit-o-nerf but hunters only since the 2.0.1 patch, but you got to remember TBC brings a new stat called resiliance which will lower the chance of crits on you (and crits is what makes hunters so imba in 2.0.1) also we all get a big stam inc in TBC, at lvl 70 a mage typical gets 6k+ HP, a hunter around 8k HP.. so it wil come right soon.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by sayuri2006

I wanted to write this thread to express what alot of players in the WOW forums have also been expressing and feel that the future of WOW takes away the basic dynamics of what the game used to be.
    Mostly, I left the game because I got fed up of Blizzard trying to balance out the classes. I wanted to play WOW because of the mage. But, then things changed how PVP was managed and contended with and mages were severely nerfed in ways. Sure they still hold good upfront burst DPS but are they not the kings and queens of magic? Why is it that other classes can rival the DPS of a mage yet have all round better defence. Blizzard also changed how mages are seen as by nerfing their AOE  whilst buffing other classes to rival against the offences of the mage. The trade off of having the best DPS but lower defence has not made what mages are today.
    Other classes have been changed to how they were supposed to be played. Warlocks are changing into more like shadow mages since they got recently nerfed with their DOT damage but got buffed to put out more burst DPS and defences all round. I can clearly see how locks will replace mages in raids in the BC.
    I am not here to lay down specifics as proof can be seen in the officical WOW forums. My point is that many classes are evolving into what Blizzard claim as "theory-based" but in real practice classes are changing into roles that many players are not  happy with. Some can't see the trade-offs for the nerfs while others can't understand why the game is evolving into classes that have to be upto par in the PVP playing field. Many just want the game to play the characters in their specific roles. Abit like how in Guild Wars, you can design a character tailored for a specific function, Blizzard have gone the other direction in my opinion.
    The future of classes is constantly changing and players are having to adapt. Is there something wrong here that players passionate about their class have to adapt to stronger competition in PVP whilst minimizing their purpose in the context of the game? Some claim other healing classes like the Druid are rivalling the healing power of the Priest , locks the new AOE class (Seed of Corruption), warriors with a rage nerf and pallies with more aggro holding ability.
    I believe that the constant shift of dynamics of the classes and nerfs is drawing players away. Blizzard should design the game where changes have been throughly investigated before presenting changes that have to be altered or nerfed. It is certainly not good to keep changing classes roles, bottom line.

so, you would want classes to be like... set in stone? but that is never gonna happen, this is a online game, not a single player. people will always find new way to do things the devs didn't think of, bugs will always crop up, mistakes will be made and sometimes whole things have to change.

i am really sorry but i can only say "get over it". if you cannot accept the reality of a constant changing game, maybe mmorpg are not for you, cause they ALL do the same.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• dominiadominia Member Posts: 191
    So people are leaving WoW because of class imbalance? Seems like the lack of content (last five man released was Dire Maul nearly 18 months ago) , the death of world pvp (oh how i miss Tauren Mill blood free for all's), the useless-ness of crafting (due to epic level items) and the strictly loot driven grind at end game seem more the probably cause.

But I digress, WoW does have a significant 1v1 class balance issue that even the dev's have acknowledged. Hunters, warlocks and druids have become powerful in recent patches but that is mainly due to the coming of the Burning Crusade. What do I mean by that you ask?

It promise many many 5 man's mean certain classes have to be interchangeable to some degree otherwise you'll see a huge influx of priests, warriors, rogues and mages. I've known on other games "jack-of-all-trades" classes to sit in town for hours on end looking for a group, and Blizzard is trying to work around it.

Also who know's exactly what the classes will look like a year from now once everyone has become comfortable with their level 70 toons. A couple of weeks on a beta server is not very vindicitive of  what 70 will be like 2-3 raid dungeons down the road.  Gear will change a lot, along with the increased HP.

And finally, I've said it before on a seperate mmo website, imo in a year WoW will look much like GW, complete with a ladder system, regular tourny's, server best of championships, and lot's of world pvp. Play time will go down since raiding will take up less time, gear will be evenly (somewhat) distributed between raiders and pvp'ers and finally there will be so much concern for group pvp, 1v1 really won't matter.

Just my thought on the situation.

--D^t

Currently Playing: GW2
    Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

Alrite, I dont mean to sound like an ass or anything but if you have a problem with the class you're playing, change class. ::wah wah:: priest die in 2 shots from a rogue! ::wah:: rogues stun-lock ::wah:: locks DoT's last too long/too powerful. god i'm sick of reading about it. if you want to create the most "uber" charecter ever then go play a sandbox mmo. I love sandbox's because they allow you to do that, but people still whine but it makes things easier to deal with.

I dont care that a class cant solo in pvp or isn't always invited to a 5-man. I'm a rogue and i think i've done like 5 5-man runs in total. yes due to personal choice but 5-mans arent everything and its the 40-mans that everyone is needed on (not to mention that raid PUGs blow).

What it comes down to, is learn your class and learn it well, then you'll be wanted for a lot of different things. Also, if you're a heavy PvP'r go and join a PvP guild, if you're a raider go and join a raiding guild. Be smart and learn what you want to be good at, if you're not good at it, find your niche'.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730
    I played a Druid because I wanted to be Jack of all trades and master of none. For the first year of WoW, Druids were master of none only.

I next played a Mage because I wanted to do high DPS, but as the OP stated other classes can exceed a mage.

I next played a Priest because I wanted to be the best healer, but Holy Priests aren't that much better than any other healing class.

The bottom line is that WoW changes classes over time, Druids stunk at release, now they are overpowered.

It is a constant cycle. What is buffed today, will be nerfed tomorrow. What is nerfed today, will be buffed tomorrow.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I can understand your frustrations to a point, but that has to be one of the worst statements i have ever read!

Do you have an idea that some dev at Blizzard gets pummeled in a PvP match and so he decides that the class that just beat him is gonna get nerfed in the next patch? Do you think that they are sitting on the toilet one day and all of a sudden it is a case of 'plop' "Eureaka, i'll nerf that class to annoy people in the next patch"?

MMO's are a huge beasts and as time goes by some talents and abilities have either been found wanting or in need of serious re-design to fit in with the developing game and this will never change. As the game evolves, so must the character classes to balance, not only against each other but the environment in which they play.

If you do not like that classes are changed from time to time i would say that MMO's are really not the games for you as it has always been true of every MMO i have played to date.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• shnuggleshnuggle Member Posts: 4
    Well, I kinda know how the OP feels.  I too was a mage player. Mind you I left because I didnt like the constant grind and I felt the spells just kinda sucked.  Unfortunatly any MMO that trys to balance a game for PvE and PvP is just wrong.

If your after some uber mage powers maybe try another game?  So what it took you ages to hit 60 and grind to get all those sweet loots.  WoW is not the best MMO out there.  Sure its popular but so is sushi.  Eeeew sushi *spew*

This may not help, but I left for D&D Online.  The game is all PvE based and thats how the class's are balanced.  Caster spells are super powerful.  One spell can wipe out entire groups of monsters.  You have instant death spells, AOE spells that laugh in the face of WoW AOE.  Some cool buff spells too.  People will want you in their group just for the sheer power you will weild.

If you are still playing WoW and have friends you like to play with then by all means keep playing.  If your getting annoyed move on.  You can always come back.

Even female dwarfs need some lov'en!!

• AhotareAhotare Member Posts: 43

Perhaps I am sounding cynical, but the future of WoW is imho, what people in other industries call "churning".  Your subscription numbers begin to stabilize as the number of people leaving is about even with those starting.  WoW's accessibility and Blizzard's impressive marketing efforts makes this a viable business plan for quite some time.

Subscription #s in NA and EU might drop, but I doubt it - WoW itself has shown that most MMO companies haven't even scratched the surface fo the real market.

btw, I played several Warriors to 60, and l can tell you that bugs and balance has always been an issue with my class, particularly with the introduction of raid-level gear for a "gear dependent" class.  The biggest gripe on the official forums centered around PvP balance, PvE Raid viablity of talents and lack of overall theme of each class and Talent Tree. 

Bliz says they don't want to pigeonhole us, but we'd like to be able to -choose- that through Talents.   Otherwise, what's the point?

But this has been the case for so long, it's unlikely to change given their past history and healthy incoming subs.
  • khragkhrag Member Posts: 184
    I was a fire mage. I was decked out in all fire damage gear. I could take out the T-rex is the crater in 3 shots.

They changed everything, and then they changed it again.

The problem isn't that they change things, every good thing has to change and evolve to keep going. The problem is the why they are changing. It was the same thing in SWG (back in the pre force village days) They started to nerf everyone because they were too powerful, and these ones sucked to much, and I can't ever beat this type of guy. They are catering to the weak minded idiots who can't realise they aren't playing a single player game where you are the best at everything!

If you can't beat a hunter as a fire mage (which 99% of the time I couldn't) you just haven't found the right way to do it. Does that mean the hunter needs to be nefed? NO!!!! Why? Simple, Because I would own a warrior every time, and most often warriors would own hunters, it all works out. People don't want that though, they want to be a god, and have every one else be worms.

It's the same reason why they dumb down crafting and make it useless, the people who don't want to make the effort to succed, see it as unfair advantage to those who work hard at crafting.

In conclusion, I liked SWG way of character creation, where you could only have one character per server, and s/he could either be a great crafter, a great fighter, or a mediocre both! Every one says they want more realism in games, but then they want to be Achillies and Macey's all rolled into one. Sorry, but if you spend you're life training to be a soldier, chances are, you are not going to be one of the worlds great artisans!!

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.
    --Aristotle

• r0hnr0hn Member Posts: 185

Don't listen to any of the players posting on the wow.com forums.  The players there don't know anything, they are just tired, cynical and immature for the most part.  A sign of maturity is adjusting to change.  The whiners live on the wow.com forums.

Blizzard does a decent job making minor changes to the game. 

• HubabubaHubabuba Member Posts: 229

Translation:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198

I stoped to play now like 3 weeks ago and didnt buy me the expansion today. If I had to ask myself why I dont play anymore I would have to say cause of these points ....

1. Burned out :P happens to all games doesnt matter how good they are

2. If a content patch is being made you can be sure its just another raid, never anything else.... boring

3. The addon wont change anything really, you lvl to 70 and grind again the raids, raids, raids, raids and nothing else. And it really doesnt matter that it will be 25man raids, its still the same crap. Every monster is immune to everything so just hit 1-2 buttons over a few hours, DKP, you have to be there at set times and not when you want to play, guild drama, blah blah. I dont mind raids well actually I do but whats with the ppls who doesnt like to raid ? Give em the heroic mode and equal drops to raid drops (which for sure shouldnt drop then always, I mean epics then shouldnt dropt always from the bosses in heroic mode so it would need more or less the same time as if you would go raid to get the items), problem solved.

4. Racial imbalances for PvP

5. Professions are just more of a hobby and not useful, yes there are always a few things which you can do which are good but thats it. Oh and grenades got nerfed from engineering, the only thing why i lvld this profession up for my toons.

6. Mage class getting nerf after nerf but nothing back in return, did mages really needed to be nerfed in AoE, ignite, Aggro reduction, CS on GCD and some talents ? be honest, no they didnt ... before all these nerfs I was fine with my mage, but now its not anymore so much fun. Like someone mentioned already they are patching the fun of the classes out, well at least for me and my mage, cant speak for others. And its not about oh this class beats me or wutever ... its just not anymore so much fun.

7. Everyone running around in Rank12-14 gear, I like the new system but items costs should have been 10 times higher. It really doesnt matter that soon ppls will run around in better gear anyways, then I could say oh then give us T3 for "free" too. Yes I was 2 times Rank14 and Iam pissed. Blizzard probably just thought, oh well ppls dont want to raid now before BC so lets give em something to do ...why the hell they didnt invent this system already 1 year back or even earlier ? crap ...

8 Shamans and Pallies now available to both factions, well I dont really mind that BUT why the hell they didnt even gave us a whole new class ? Lazy ? Yea probably.

Since release of the BGs till today no new BGs ? Sorry what a joke, now ONE WHOLE new BG in the addon wow lol ... Arenas ? Ive played em, they are really boring, no objectives nothing and fights are so fast over its not entertaining at all. And where the hell are the PvP vehicles they wanted to make ? Hero-Classes etc. ? No better just invent another raid and then again raid, raid, raid, BS.

And now dont give me the WoW fanboy talk :P its just my opinion why I dont play anymore and didnt buy the expansion.