Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting Concepts, but strange class names

Face dancer?

Why three types of rogues?  Is this necessary?

Body, Focus, and Mind as stats?  Rogues being masters of Focus?  I thought the reason people became rogues was because they couldn't focus well on life; limited attention spans and such.

Still, the skill system looks intriguing.  This game might be a good choice in the near future.

Comments

• AmorphismAmorphism Member UncommonPosts: 101

Yeah.. weird choise of names.
    But the PeP system (look here) is absolutlely great. Instead of being punished you just don't get rewarded.
    And I think they should even expand it to certain items, meaning you can use a specific item only if your PeP rank is 2
    or above.

I think that 3 types of rogue is excellent, like there are types of warriors in fantasy worlds - General Fighter, Paladin, Anti-Paladin, Warrior-Mage etc'. It gives you more diversity and forms of gameplay.

• NeverasNeveras Member UncommonPosts: 303
    I'm glad to see an actual change in names. Frankly seing every mmo with the same base classes is boring.

And focus makes sense, because we're not just talking the inexperienced smash and grabber here. We are talking about being a criminal Artiste. Do you think without proper focus and concentration you could Sneak into a building without getting caught? Do you think you could pick a complicated lock? Or how about Picking someone's pockets without being noticed? All of these require various types of focus. Your playing a rogue, not a fighter with no formal training and a poor lifestyle.

• SubuSubu Member Posts: 18
    Face dancer is a great name for a rogue class . And it seems that your mixing up rogue with brigand. Politicians and other grandscale rogues have very good focus on life ;p

• Distortion0Distortion0 Member Posts: 668

Face Dancer is essentually someone who mascarades as someone else. Also, their fighting style is supposed to be really 'dance-y'. T

he three types of Rogues focos on different aspects of Roguery, Face Dancers are the people who hide their dientities, sneak out and stab their target in the back. Death-Hands would slip poison into their targets food. The trickster is more like a ninja. The reason there's three is for detial. When you have 20 some classes, they're all really shallow. Spellborn has three and to focos on them even more they has three sub-classes.

Yes, it's a very good idea. It adds to character customisation.

Body is basically Strength+Vitiality+Constitution all roled into one. Isn't having all three redundent? Mind is sort of intelligence in regular RPGs. Focus is sort of like Critical Rate, Body is just thrasing about in combat while Focus is more of knowing what you're doing and exploiting them.

Basically, Body is overpowering your enemy phisically, Mind is fighting them magically, Focus is dirty Rogue style fighting. Can a Mind based Mage beat a Body based Warrior? Who would win a fight, a dirty playing Focus based Rogue or a strong Body Based Warrior?

I think you need to check your definition of Rogue lol. In Spellborn they're basically assasians. But all Rogue really means is a dishonest, michivious, possibly dangerious, or unpredictable person.

I agree with your last statement though.

• KoruptdeathKoruptdeath Member Posts: 4

No no no no...

If you want it very rudimentarily explained,

Body - Strength
    Focus - Agility
    Mind - Intelligence

There it is in a nutshell, that's pretty much what each mean in relation to the game mechanics.

As for the names, why would you NOT like them?   They're fresh, rich and original.  Not only that, but the class archetypes break up the stereotypes of MMORPGs in general. 

BREAK ME AGAIN-- I SCREAM

• A_N_T_IA_N_T_I Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Billius8

Face dancer?

lol. gets me thinking of monthy python.

Sit on my faaaace, and let my lips embrace you,

Sit on my face and I'll tell I love you truuly

Hello there, adventurer!

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I have to say I really love the names, and I can't wait to play it. I love staples like EQ and, more recently, WoW, but I am tired of seeing every MMO having the same names, fighting styles, and concepts. It is getting old. I am glad to see something new, and I just hope that it lives up to what it seems to be. If it plays anything like it looks, it will quickly become my number one game.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• LidaleLidale Member Posts: 88

I dont liek the face dancer name.  Its terribly goofy.

• ownageNLownageNL Member Posts: 19

strange name indeed.

Its more like a SWG name but i agree with some here that there is a need of change into class names

bridgant

rogue

assasin

troubadour

etc gets after mmo nr 10 a little dull