Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voyage Century is trash

There seems to be a lot of hype around the new MMORPG Voyage Century, here are some facts i would like to clear up.

First of all regarding the concept, the whole idea of a MMORPG based on 16th-17th century European maritime theme is not really new, in fact the Japanese company KOEI first released Uncharted Waters on Super Nintendo way back in the early 90s and like many of Koei's games quickly rose to cult status. Since then, the franchise has been refined and the latest installment is Uncharted Waters IV, the game has been revolutionised since its early 2D SNES days. With each instalment, the graphics, character development, and gameplay is significantly improved and like the very first game in the series rose to cult status across Asia.

Uncharted Waters Online was released following the fourth single player version and has since been developed and improved through closed betas for about two years. Open beta's have just recently been released in China and Taiwan recently, while in Japan it has already finalized and operational for several years.

Voyage Century was developed by a Chinese company and has been operating free-to-play with item mall in China for at least 3 or so years (including betas).

The similarities between Voyage Century and Uncharted Waters Online is uncanny, they both have three classes, the Explorer, the Merchant and the Soldier/Warrior. The crafting system is identicle, each with seven of the same crafting profession, players gather raw materials from rural areas outside the town and require to purchase item blueprints to craft the items. In both games skill rank is increased by the number of times the skill is used, actively or passively and the character level determines the upgrade of ships. Furthermore, the whole notion of profession guilds and accepting missions from the guildmaster is a system both games employ. The maps and the cities are also the same, the names of the ships are almost exactly the same, the whole thing of the photograph revealing after an object is found are the same, even the very photos of the animals resemble and

I am not making allegations, but amount of similarities bordering on being identicial is ridiculous. If you have played both games, its not hard to miss, but my point is essentially, Voyage Online is a cheap rip off of a much better and much more ingenous game Uncharted Waters Online.

I was reading some posts regarding Voyage Century on this forum, and one person said that the game felt fishy. I think i understand the feeling he's having. The game feels like a cheap imitation, a home-made rip of a favourite artists's CD or a one of those pirated movies filmed in a Mexican cinema. The content is clearly there, but the quality, the authenticity and the overall experience is completely deficient.

This is quite evident within the game, it's not consistent, the transition between the 3D city-scape and the 2D poorly made sea-scape is awkward, and crude. The gameplay feels broken, like broken English, for example the four categories of objects to be discovered with natural objects, relics, historic ruins and 'sea-shells' seems like a piece ripped out of a complete treasure map. These 'fishy' feelings of imcoherence and incompleteness are not hard to find.

I often wondered why the developers didn't spend their time makign the sea-scape 3D, given that they made the ports 3D, its seems that a) either they lacked the technology know-hows of how to accurately re-create the 3D geography, given that most Chinese programmed MMORPGs were 2D, or b) it would take too long and clash with the eventual release of Uncharted Waters Online.

It's unfortunate that Uncharted Waters Online by KOEI is unlikely to be released in English, so meanwhile we have to put with this cheap poorly-made imitation, but to give an honest opinion, this game is just trash, and it wouldn't take people long to figure that out for themselves. 

Comments

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
     One mans trash is another mans gold. Your opinions are actually quite well thought out and you provide some very good analysis.

For a post saying why you dont like a game Im quite impressed. Personally Im one of the thousands of people who do enjoy the game.

Despite the fact its a obvious rip of a older game. Which I mite add I played.

The games community really took to this game, pardon the pun, like ducks to water. If people who are well aware of your valid analysis's

and keep playing and enjoy it I suppose the positives outwieghted the negative for some people. Personally I play it quite alot and enjoy it immensely. Hrmm... I had no plans to play POTBS until I tried this game. Frankly I didnt think a developer could capture the feel of the genre. I was wrong. Well anyways, thats just my analysis. Hope you find a game you like
  • ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by buddhabeads
    qft
  • StrontiumStrontium Member Posts: 71

It may well be a ripoff ( but then 99% of all mmorpgs seem cloned) but i'm enjoying it . It's a refreshing experience imho with a lot of promise.

With all the constant threads about  " i hate this MMO , i hate Grind , i hate everyone " i wonder if every new mmo that comes out is just another excuse to flame for flames sake.

Please explain to me what you'd class as a perfect mmorpg ? ...

Or try www.antimmorpg.com , im sure they'll welcome you with open arms...probably get a free gun with every new hate post.

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    It may not be perfect, but it's fun and somewhat addictive.  It's not the most ingenious with either content or features, but it's unique enough to give it a "new" feel.  Sure, there might be some company who thought of the idea first, but that doesn't matter. Because this game is here, and that one isn't.  We don't have the option to play "Uncharted Waters", so it's not important to us.  So, for an available and completely FREE game, this one is considerably fun and usefull in passing time between more exciting games.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

You actually blew your own arguement out of the water.

Uncharted waters Online was first released in 2005 in Japan (source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_Waters_Online)

Voyage century, On the other hand, has been around for much longer. if anything, Uncharted Waters Online stole things from Voyage Century, not the other way around. Also, Voyage century's theme is unique, It wasn't avaible in an MMORPG before.
  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Uncharted waters Online was first released in 2005 in Japan (source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_Waters_Online)

Voyage century, On the other hand, has been around for much longer. if anything, Uncharted Waters Online stole things from Voyage Century, not the other way around. Also, Voyage century's theme is unique, It wasn't avaible in an MMORPG before.GG, Gameloading!!
  • Originally posted by Gameloading

Voyage century, On the other hand, has been around for much longer. if anything, Uncharted Waters Online stole things from Voyage Century, not the other way around. Also, Voyage century's theme is unique, It wasn't avaible in an MMORPG before.

At first i thought so too that too, , the similarities as i have pointed out are quite uncanny. But i still tend to stick to my version and here are reasons.

1)Credibility and reputation. KOEI is known for gaming ingenuity and original gameplay features, the single player version of Unchartered Waters has been around for quite some time, and it's not a big step to move  it into an MMORPG.  Generally, MMORPG came rather late into the Chinese market as opposed to Korea and Japan. And still, there's a real lack of 'Chinese created' games. It's a well-known and sad fact that Chinese game developers, both single player and MMORPG have a tendency and a culture to clone -not simply rip of quote, but a cut and paste- games from Korea and Japan. One of the most recent examples is the game Wu Lin Wai Shi which has been condemned as a cut and paste version of Yulang.

2)The gaming system within Unchartered Wates Online is consistent with it's other major MMORPG, Nobunaga's Ambition Online. The whole system of the profession guild and accepting missions fand learning skills rom each profession guild master in Uncharted Waters is consistent with Nobunaga's Ambition. Furthermore the complicated of crafting system with the requirement to purchase /learn blueprints is also a key feature of Nobunaga. Having played them both, they really give a feel that the two well know single player franchised games have been developed into MMORPG on same grounds by the same team. 
  • RummiRummi Member Posts: 3

Just to say : I'TS GREAT GAME.

Love to bee playng,you just have to see it to bee "Voyaolic" ,imagine playng it.

Realy good job was made in this game.CONGRATULATIONS,

and by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR

• amappalaamappala Member UncommonPosts: 159

Is the original IBM PC much better than today's clones?

Throw away your PC and buy the original IBM PC!!!

• elitepwnerelitepwner Member Posts: 7
    Never heard of Uncharted Waters, not saying it doesn't exist.

Is it a MMORPG?

Is it multi-player at all?

Loads of people wish that some games were online/multi-player that arn't.

Purhaps these guys figured they could do it and they have done it well.

I understand where you come from though, but if its a rip off and trash, wouldnt that make the other game trash too?
  • paadepaade Member Posts: 471
    a game developer stealing ideas from another game??! I am truly shocked, especially seeing all these unique MMOs to the left.
  • GindaceGindace Member Posts: 161

I was reading some posts regarding Voyage Century on this forum, and one person said that the game felt fishy. I think i understand the feeling he's having. The game feels like a cheap imitation, a home-made rip of a favourite artists's CD or a one of those pirated movies filmed in a Mexican cinema. The content is clearly there, but the quality, the authenticity and the overall experience is completely deficient.

This is quite evident within the game, it's not consistent, the transition between the 3D city-scape and the 2D poorly made sea-scape is awkward, and crude. The gameplay feels broken, like broken English, for example the four categories of objects to be discovered with natural objects, relics, historic ruins and 'sea-shells' seems like a piece ripped out of a complete treasure map. These 'fishy' feelings of imcoherence and incompleteness are not hard to find.

I often wondered why the developers didn't spend their time makign the sea-scape 3D, given that they made the ports 3D, its seems that a) either they lacked the technology know-hows of how to accurately re-create the 3D geography, given that most Chinese programmed MMORPGs were 2D, or b) it would take too long and clash with the eventual release of Uncharted Waters Online. 
    MMORPGs are a business. Like you stated this is a Chinese MMO. They are trying their hand in the US pool. Will it fail? I can't say. From what I've played when I was in Alpha I'm going to say yes...but the hype has been strangely good for the game.

They probably didn't spend their time with a 3-D seascape because the game worked so well where they already had it out. I doubt they have the same funds as other, bigger MMO companies (WoW, EQ, etc.). So that also plays a part in it.

I personally think the game is terrible. And on some points I agree with you. But, rarely does an MMO come along that hasn't stolen SOMETHING from another. Voyage Century just stole a lot more.
  • I think most people are confused about the point im trying to make.

As Gindace points out, it's all about busines and the company has not simply pirated the game, not merely the idea but the entire gameplay system and game content, 70-80% but went further to launch it in the West with an intention of what i believe to be a 'quick-scam' market stunt is rather shameful.

Whether what i write will deter people from the game is another thing, i just feel that players ought to know about this before jumping on the bandwagon.

Then again i must congratualte the company on their timing. The lauch was quite successful, probably exceeding their expectations with the amount of hype and participation. The quick launch before Pirates of the Burning Sea and the Pirates of the Caribbean has obviously been timed to cash in on the anticipation surrounding these two titles.

But the downfall is that the demand and expectations by MMORPG gamers have risen significantly since the game's initial release. I doubt the life of the Voyage Century will last long due to its poor gameplay and other flaws . Had it been launched a couple of years ago, the success would have sky-rocketed, but in 2007, this game's merits simply does not stand up to the hype surrounding it.

I agree with Gindace that this game was not the right game for a Chinese gaming company to break into the West, but nevertheless enjoy the game while its still fresh.
  • Originally posted by elitepwner

Never heard of Uncharted Waters, not saying it doesn't exist.

Is it a MMORPG?

Is it multi-player at all?

Loads of people wish that some games were online/multi-player that arn't.

Purhaps these guys figured they could do it and they have done it well.

I understand where you come from though, but if its a rip off and trash, wouldnt that make the other game trash too?
    Uncharted Waters Online is quite original online MMO based on the popular Uncharted Waters  franchise, as for the rip off,  at least other game rip offs have surface differences, but this is copying and pasting. To use an analogy, WoW is like quoting significant pasages and ideas from other writers, but Voyage Century is plagarising another's writers writing word by word without any attempt to disguise it.
  • LougarouLougarou Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by Rummi

Just to say : I'TS GREAT GAME.
    Love to bee playng,you just have to see it to bee "Voyaolic" ,imagine playng it.
    Realy good job was made in this game.CONGRATULATIONS,
    and by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hmm this is your first post, you registered for it and your english is horrible.

I guess you must be part of IGG staff. Nice try.
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

There seems to be a lot of hype around the new MMORPG Voyage Century, here are some facts i would like to clear up.

It's unfortunate that Uncharted Waters Online by KOEI is unlikely to be released in English, so meanwhile we have to put with this cheap poorly-made imitation, but to give an honest opinion, this game is just trash, and it wouldn't take people long to figure that out for themselves. 

maybe some folks enjoy it?  i mean, people like wow and it's trash you have to actually pay for.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

The reason they make voyage century was because koei refuse to sell a franchise to China, and Chinese have quite alot hatred toward Japan and often strike/refuse to buy their product. Koei doesn't see a market within China for Uncharted water online, until recent success of this game.

It had been known that uncharted water series had been quite popular among the asians, many non-japanese contribute a large share of the population of the current japanese server right now. (i was one, but i left to join Taiwan)

Koei seize this opportunity and sold the rights to franshise to China at the end, and it turned out 20 millions players (yes..omg 4 time the amount of WoW) played their open beta that lasted like 3 weeks. I believe the 24 servers they have right now are all filled up to the tips with paid customers.

Anyway, the game isn't trash consider the game had been in for quite long and the company that made it have absolutely no experiences. Many idea currently in GVO right now is from the long series. I wouldn't blame voyage century can't be comparative to uncharted water online.

Anyhow, how many people here played/playing uncharted water online on China/Taiwan/Korea/Japan servers ? (i am on taiwan Atlantic.)

none

• Jumper2kJumper2k Member UncommonPosts: 133

True or not... none of your argument matters if people enjoy the game.

Also none of it makes the game "trash" ... so... get over yourself.

Currently Playing: WoW (somewhat)
    Testing: None
    Played: WoW, CoV, AL, SWG, VC, EVE, SWToR

• KatagiriKatagiri Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by Jumper2k

I agree!

Personaly I enjoy Voyage Century a lot, even getting irritated with buggy quests and lags, I have fun with my friends.

I suggest you to try meditation, sometimes it's really slow paced.

It's not a game for average gamers.
  • Originally posted by Katagiri

Originally posted by Jumper2k

I agree!

Personaly I enjoy Voyage Century a lot, even getting irritated with buggy quests and lags, I have fun with my friends.

I suggest you to try meditation, sometimes it's really slow paced.

It's not a game for average gamers.

Well in case im not makin myself clear, im having a go at the gaming company for completely plagarising another game, nothing against gamers, but just thought u guys might want to know that the game is a 80%-90% clone
  • I seriously love this game. My friend got me to try it out, I was like ugh not another mmo. I tried it and was instantly hooked. It's really nice to be playing a game that isn't fantasy and is actually historical. I love how the map is the same as the real one back in the 1600s. I love the whole pirate feel to it and all the things you are able to do. Once all the bugs are fixed, this game will be soo awesome
  • wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

Actually there is a big gap in the differences between the 2 games (uncharted water online and voyage century), Bascially, it could be summerized as the following.

Uncharted Water online (GVO)  vs Voyage century (VC)

- 6 countries, 6 original story line that belong to each country vs No real story and only 2 countries.

- Pure 3D graphic from head to toes vs 2D sea map, and 3d towns / offshore/ battle

- More skills/combat skills/class skills vs very basic skills layout. (there is the same production skills but GVO have more.)

- Sailing take longer in GVO and encountering enemy are more random vs Simple sailing.

- It really take skills to sail in GVO  (unless you have the explorer skill auto sailing) vs just pick and click.

- More ships to choose from vs just rebuilding your same old ship.

- More items (GVO offers a lot more character items that give bonus, with little requirement) vs items only give bonus and items seem to go by level. (like level 1 wear XXX shirt, level 31 get XXX shirt 2, level 100 get XXX shirt)

- Items could decay (gone forever) vs not.

- Explorer include chain quests (one event lead to another), treasure or various dicovery by using a map to dig...etc vs just tasks.

- Defin's update (Koei) offer many live event each month, they update the game by chapters with opening new area of the world and include many new feature (currently on la frontera chapter 2) vs They won't update.... i am sure of it.

- no punishment PK (you would love to kill those chinese farmers) vs Punishment PK.

- 2 Vice-captain that you could employ to do your dirty works (they are like a pet) vs none

There are many more.... GVO have A LOT more ports and towns then voyage century.

These two games can't be compare, it is obvious that uncharted water online would beat voyage century in an instant. I played uncharted water online for 2 years (i was in japanese's beta, then moved to release and now playing on taiwan version).

I see a lot people on these board rate Voyage century really well, if these people could play uncharted water online, i believe this game could even get a 10.0 or higher then eve at least.

Good news is Don't worry - according the E3 2006 - Uncharted water online is ON the List! but the bad news is there is still no company that will franchise the game.

none

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
       Well I did some digging around the Koei forums and seems theres no plan to release UWO in the USA.

There mention of a possible release at e3 was only mentioning a possible evaluation of a release of there mmorpgs in our country.

For some reason they seem to think its not feasible... Not exactly certain why tho. I think Fong is right though. If UWO were to be released in the USA it mite do quite well. Save for the fact its pay for play. In which case the vast majority of people playing VC would stay simply for the fact it would stay free. Those who would pay would also be split between POTBS and UWO. Frankly Id probably stick with the American company due to the fact there used to our mentalities. For now we only really have the option to play VC. So Im just going to enjoy the game

Now if only my guild would let me get on land! Gah I've been doing Naval Convoys so long I get Land legs when I hit the docks.

Is it to much to ask to mine! Some dust in my hair.. the smell of gunpowder testing my pistosl.....*grumbling contiues.....*
  • I think the problem is that KOEI rdoes not really 'need' to publish games to the West... Their games are hugely popular in Asia and ithat's enough to sustain their profitability and keep the resources on improving their games. There's no history of KOEI games that are published in the West. Those fe that have trickled through have become achieved cult  status. And regarding a Western publisher, the best to hope for is an offbranch of the KOEI company. Since their games are franchised, a lengthy contract would be involved and vast funds would be required. The next best thing is through Malaysia and Singapore.
  • eetoeeto Member Posts: 4
    This game has some great scenery, iv been playing it since Beta and i dont suggest people who dont like games with a long grind to get involved, this game has many hours of game play aslong as u take advantage of its variety. the quests get alittle long and repedative but sea combat is fun.

At first glance the game is alittle confusing and there is lots of room for it to be exploted but apart from that it has hours of game play and a free environment were u can sail around or be on land alowing for you to go out and expolore, find new animals, plants etc. the game has NPC "hero" ships both pirate, merchant and navy to combat every aspect. its not all a pirate game it has loads of trade, it can be country battles, nation vs nation in epic sea battles, pirates jumping smuggling ships, bounty hunters hunting pirates. there seems to be alot in this game that hasnt been uncovered.

I have actualy managed to learn something from the game, i now rember alot of the geography i forgot and its starting to stick in my head (dont let your kids read this or they wont play). There should be a large amount of game play for Teens and Adults who wanna see the world, fight at sea, farm, fish so many other things you can do take a look. its free so what do you have to loose apart from some time.

Eeto
    "Hard-Core Gamer"