Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2006 Reader's Choice Award Results

1234568»

Comments

• ThonyThony Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by vanidor

I am guessing by all the posts that mmorpg needs to rework there polling.  I have 1 friend that plays EVE  I have a hundred people I know playing wow.  I know 120 beta'ing LOTRO and about 15 betaing Vanguard. 
    In my opinion the best game out at the moment is probably wow for sheer numbers.  Not the best game but best in numbers. 
    I can't wait till LOTRO hits the stage  and then Warhammer Online.  We will see some clear cut winners. 
    I almost think MMORPG gets paid to let EVE win. 
    I tried EVE and thought it was horrible.  Hard to learn, poor interface, stunning graphics....I don't think so.
    Well I didn't check every post here but I think the awards should be thrown out.  You need to have all MMORPGS listed to give a fair sampling not just three or four.

Just some simple advise :) check this site regular and you would have noticed that every single mmorpg got its change to be voted on, you had a round 1/2 and 3 before the finals, so do not judge this site but judge its community who made the outcome the way it is.

I also tried Eve and wasn't impressed, did not like the way the game is handled but all this is pure my own opinion and i can really understand some people will love EVE i'm just incredible happy that everyone can have a opinion that way we will never be playing the same game all at once together

I'm just guessing alott of people havn't reached the age where they can vote politics therefor do not understand votes in general and blame those that arn't guilty by its outcome just because they are abit narrowminded to understand voting  before you start flaming this wasn't directly to you but more ment in general

• SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558
    Most EVE players are competitative by nature and are used to getting their goals by any means neccesary.  It's one of the foundations of EVE so that's probably why EVE got more votes. EVE makes you pro-active about stuff :)
  • ioryadragonioryadragon Member Posts: 91
    What u ppl dont understand, that us EVE players dont care about you WOW and such boys dont like our games actualy we are happy not to have ppl like  you in EVE. Played WOW 2 months, i know what mess of community u have there. And EVE won because is the only one game at this moment on that market, that is not a fantasy grind fest, to get ur money everymonth, is something difrent, complex and fun, and is not for everybody ,u require a brain, that why we have 200-300k subscribers and not 6 mil. Comprende?! Untill other real good mmorpgs are released, and not patetic clones, or money grabers and nothing else, it still gona win. But lets hope more reall mmorpgs would be released, at this point nothing can compete with EVE, but for those that like fantasy and not space thingy, is sad, cause nothing real cool outhere to play, maybe Ryzom.

Cheers and have fun!
  • Rod_BRod_B Member Posts: 203

I see my favourite Eve forum spamming colleague Dark Shikari finally found this forum too.

While he sometimes actually makes sense, he tends to do it too often to be taken seriously. Personally, as an Eve player since the games' release I consider these player choice awards a cockup of embarrasing proportions. As long as people like mr Shikari like to go and mobilize large numbers of random idiots (we have them in the Eve community too yes), shit like this will happen.

Of course, mmorpg. com could also just restrict voting to accounts registered more then 6 months prior to the voting, which would imo be the right way to go about it considering the public they seem most interested in anyway: longtime mmo players.

Still, I agree with most of the outcomes, it's just that the way in which both Eve players as well as mmorpg,com go about the contest end up doing the potential players out there more of a disservice then anything else. How many people do you think take these awards seriously now ?

I'd rather have a player poll supplement an editor's choice award then have this idiiocy continuing on to the next year tbh.

• ssstupidossstupido Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Rod_B

I see my favourite Eve forum spamming colleague Dark Shikari finally found this forum too.
    While he sometimes actually makes sense, he tends to do it too often to be taken seriously. Personally, as an Eve player since the games' release I consider these player choice awards a cockup of embarrasing proportions. As long as people like mr Shikari like to go and mobilize large numbers of random idiots (we have them in the Eve community too yes), shit like this will happen.
    Of course, mmorpg. com could also just restrict voting to accounts registered more then 6 months prior to the voting, which would imo be the right way to go about it considering the public they seem most interested in anyway: longtime mmo players.
    Still, I agree with most of the outcomes, it's just that the way in which both Eve players as well as mmorpg,com go about the contest end up doing the potential players out there more of a disservice then anything else. How many people do you think take these awards seriously now ?
    I'd rather have a player poll supplement an editor's choice award then have this idiiocy continuing on to the next year tbh.

sorry rod, but i disagree. last year EVE won 4 out of 3 nominations. even restricting voting to 6 month old accounts the results would have been the same.

it would be better to restrict by post account or activity, but this way you penalize people that read but dont like to write.

anyways, this site has 500k members. EVE won with 3k votes. the problem is not with EVE, CCP or Dark Shikarii. it's mmorpg.com that should find a way to make its members vote so that 3k players from a  niche game dont spoil the whole competition.

even though PVE is not the best part of EVE, i still find EVE's PVE better than any other game. not because of its challenge or thrill, but because it is meaningful. there can not be pvp without pve. i would even go as far as to say that there is no clear way to take pve out of pvp on EVE. i mean, is mining PVE or PVP? playing the market is PVE or PVP? polithics are PVE or PVP? hauling? even missions and complexes, which could be seen as clear pve are regular activities of many pvp corps.

so for me, the poll showed exactly my choices. and that is what this competiton was, "2006 Reader's Choice Awards".

If people cba to vote don't start blaming the ones who DID vote for the outcome of said vote. If it only took 3k of votes to win this thing while MMORPG has 500k subscribers then that's sad, hell if only 1/20th would be active it would STILL be sad.
  • SmileyManSmileyMan Member Posts: 56
    What. The. Hell.

How can EVE possibly win the award for best story? Warcraft has the most advanced lore I've ever experienced, while EVE-Online is nothing but a couple of stories on the god damned website!

GFG!

O'rly.

• -Rodriguez--Rodriguez- Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by SmileyMan

What. The. Hell.

How can EVE possibly win the award for best story? Warcraft has the most advanced lore I've ever experienced, while EVE-Online is nothing but a couple of stories on the god damned website!

GFG!
    Is there a place where I can look up the Warcraft lore?
  • dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Soraellion

If people cba to vote don't start blaming the ones who DID vote for the outcome of said vote. If it only took 3k of votes to win this thing while MMORPG has 500k subscribers then that's sad, hell if only 1/20th would be active it would STILL be sad.
    That's the main problem with sites like mmorpg.com and polls conducted on such sites.  While they advertise 500k subscribers, they only have a small percentage  that is ACTIVE.  Probably in the neighborhood of 5-10%. 

Of those that are ACTIVE (25-50k), only a small percentage of those will take the time to vote.  So, if only  5-10% of the ACTIVE membership votes - that gives you about 2,500-5,000 votes.   It's the way all online forums are, just the nature of the beast.

5-10% of 500k is 25000-50000 active members, I'll restate that if EVE wins by 3k votes and then people start whining about it they only have themselves to blame? (by 'people' I mean the whole group, not the individual who DID vote).

Originally posted by dragonace

Originally posted by Soraellion

That's the main problem with sites like mmorpg.com and polls conducted on such sites.  While they advertise 500k subscribers, they only have a small percentage  that is ACTIVE.  Probably in the neighborhood of 5-10%. 

Of those that are ACTIVE (25-50k), only a small percentage of those will take the time to vote.  So, if only  5-10% of the ACTIVE membership votes - that gives you about 2,500-5,000 votes.   It's the way all online forums are, just the nature of the beast.
  • PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

What. The. Hell. How can EVE possibly win the award for best story? Warcraft has the most advanced lore I've ever experienced, while EVE-Online is nothing but a couple of stories on the god damned website!GFG!

Obviously sir you are quite unaware of the backstory section of the EVE Site (check out the chornicles or short stories section, you won't be disappointed) nor have seen the rich history of political interaction between empire and especially 0.0 corps and alliances.

Someone really should post a comphrehensive history about that.

• acheroncycacheroncyc Member Posts: 15
    It sad home some use the excuse of "buh buh CCP posted in the forums, so its skewed".

You would think that by having 6 millions of subscribers you wouldn't need to put it in a forum, anyway. Well, probably they were too busy seeing their naked Night Elves dance. In other words, those looking for instant self-gratification(read, 80% of WoW's population) couldn't care less about votings, because they really don't care about the game other than to satisfy their ego's while they "pwn" and grief new players, and go around swearing in local.
  • smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252

What. The. Hell.

I completely agree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

• UzzaUzza Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by smartkidz

What. The. Hell.

I completely agree. I have to disagree with both of you.

The Warcraft lore comes from over a decade of games and books, which makes it very rich.

But the problem with WoW is that you are just flowing with the story which is controlled by Blizzard. Your actions in the game does not influence the story of the world.

It is out of the controls of the player.

While EVE does not have the massive amount of lore that Warcraft have, it is still more than just "a couple of stories".

You only need to start browsing www.eve-online.com/background/ to realize that.

In addition to that, CCP hold storyline events that players participate in.

An example of that is the Amarr emperor succession in which the major houses in the Amarr empire each selected one player to be the fighter representative for their house. The players than battled in together.

The outcome of the battle would decide from which house the new amarrian emperor would come from.

That is what I call players influencing the story.

Also add in the history of all the player alliances existing in, and controlling, the outer reaches of the EVE galaxy.

You can easily do a sizable wiki about the rise and fall of the player alliances in EVE history. And this is also something CCP has stated that they will work on to create.

As to quote Nathan Richardsson, senior producer of EVE:

" We'll be adding that at some point, a kind of encyclopedia. You'll be able to look up an item and it'll be cross linked with other

items like it. Also, there'll be a lot of the game's history in there, both player-created politics and the lore of the game itself.

It'll have the whole lot in there, like Wikipedia on steroids... "

So that means that you can both influence the story of EVE and have the possibility of placing yourself in the EVE history books.

That is my reason to why the EVE rivals and even surpasses WoW in the story aspect.
  • ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

This was an accurate poll. EvE has always been popular in MMORPG.com due to the large EvE player base that resides here. This is proven time and time again by the many threads that go up supporting EvE online on various parts of the board.

What bothers me is that a lot of the EvE players are merely too involved in EvE online and lack the open mindedness of other community members. The public rating system of MMORPG.com is obviously affected by this. Most of the players will go to any lengths to justify their commitment. Maybe it's to their benefit as it allows them to achieve success in EvE, which demands this kind of tenacious devotion. In the future I hope to see a little more variety. However, if this is the true vocal majority who participated then let them speak, let them be heard.

• KroganKrogan Member UncommonPosts: 304
    lol well this was pretty funny, EvE is imo a really bad game and all this really proves is just how much idel time EvE players have. While i'm busy playing my chars in WoW the whole EvE community has their ships on auto pilot surfing forums.

So congrats ot EvE for having the most idel friendly game with a fanatic group of subscribers that have nothing better to do then surf foums all day long :)
  • formedsmokeformedsmoke Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Krogan

lol well this was pretty funny, EvE is imo a really bad game and all this really proves is just how much idel time EvE players have. While i'm busy playing my chars in WoW the whole EvE community has their ships on auto pilot surfing forums.

So congrats ot EvE for having the most idel friendly game with a fanatic group of subscribers that have nothing better to do then surf foums all day long :)
    Thank you for such an intelligent, eloquently stated, and open-minded response.  I understand now that I was completely misleading myself in thinking that I was enjoying myself playing Eve.  Your words have shown me that you are obviously way more uber than me because you play WoW, and I just play Eve.  It's silly to think that people could have opinions different than yours, when  you are able to express and justify your position so effectively.  How could I be so stupid?

If you didn't catch the sarcasm, rethink your purpose in life.

I  said in an earlier post that, effectively, everyone is allowed their own opinion.  This thread has shown idiotic fanboys from both sides of the WoW vs. Eve ePeen contest.  The fact of the matter is that everyone is different.  Just because you didn't enjoy Eve doesn't make it a bad game for everyone.  Tell me, intelligently and constructively, what you didn't like about Eve.  I'll discuss it with you, and maybe you'll give it a second chance.  I don't have anything against WoW.  I'm sure it's a great game... but as I said before, I burned myself out on fantasy games.  They just don't hold any real value to me anymore.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  Some people just express said opinion in profoundly stupid ways.  It's something we have to live with.

• teh.impteh.imp Member Posts: 37
    Since I haven't played EVE Online, I ofcourse can't say anything about the voting... but it sure made me curious about EVE. Maybe that I will pick it up soon...

current game:
    world of warcraft.
    how original

• csebalcsebal Member Posts: 1

This thread is more than funny.

First of all, obviously none of these results should be considered to be too serious. After all, WOW could win all the categories every time based on the sheer number of subscribers it has.

With that said, while i enjoy seeing my game on the top - and think that it rightfully belongs there - i also know that winning these awards is more about mobilizing the fan base, than about actual rankings amongst games.

On comments regarding EVE: It's just funny how little people realize the crucial difference between EVE's depth and other MMOGs. When i see people comparing conflicts between guilds, race to get the first kill of xyz mob in a game / server / whatever to what EVE has to offer.. i have to chuckle.

Whenever i play an MMOG besides EVE, my first and real problem is that they feel like playing with toy cars after you've driven a ferrari. You can mimic the sound of the ferrari, but thats just not like driving the original. You just can't match the scale of a game where alliances with more than 1000 people going at eachother for territory, hate or just to prevent an invasion from the other side.

Obviously the game is not just about alliance warfare, but the scale on which alliances work, the way they effect the game's history.. in fact, the history of alliances IS the game's history, and it is a history more rich than some of the dev written ones for other MMOGs out there. Sure there is an official history of EVE as well, but as with everything developer written.. you just can't match the variety and fun of real life history that writes itself through the actions of the players.

As the devs of EVE so wisely realized, the game is merely a sandbox for the players to play it. The game is what we make out of it.. thats why this is / was and will be the top MMOG until someone else creates another similarly great sandbox.