Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is better? Me/E or E/Me

SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
I made this new topic because a few of us hijacked another one and it's not fair to do so.  So what are your thoughts?  I leaned more towards E/Me because I like the high Energy Count over the Fast Casting even with the energy stealing capabilities.  This is a debate that was taken up with my old (and much much larger guild) and 5 of us made Me/E and 6 made E/Me and still no clear winner was determined.  What are your thoughts?  I am going to add a poll just incase you want to weigh in without having to type up WHY you're weighing in

EVE - Sharvala
FFXI - Shazamalicious
Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
"Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

Comments

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

"This is a debate that was taken up with my old (and much much larger guild) and 5 of us made Me/E and 6 made E/Me and still no clear winner was determined..."

First thing that ought to tell you is that they're both pretty good. When I want more damage from my Mesmers, I make them Me/E and spam AoE with fire or spikes with air using Echo (elite). Fast-casting is the reason to do this. Decreases the chance of being interrupted greatly.

OTOH, with the energy management skills and Glyphs (renewal for instant recharge and concentration for uninterruptability, to name two) available to you, there's really no advantage I can see in going E/Me. What's more, using an attunement as an E/* saves you energy on your primary skills, but Archane Echo (if you don't have the elite echo) costs the full 15 energy it takes to cast it. IMHO, better to buy a cap sig and cap Glyph of Renewal (only costs 5 to use) and have all your other primary skills as an E/* return attuned energy to you.

IMHO.

So in answer to your poll, given the choice between the two, I'd take Me/E for spamming nukes or spikes with fast-casting and echo. E/Me is superfluous given the energy management and anti-disruption skills native to an Elementalist's primary skilll set. I play my elementalist with monk secondary for unlimited resurrects. Other than that, don't use any other secondary skils on an E/Mo.

Here's a new build I tried and am having a lot of fun with: Smiter/Beast Master (Mo/R). I cast Strength of Honor on my melee heroes, but when I want a little extra punch, I throw Balthazar's Aura on the pet. He sticks to the target like glue! Man, it's funny to see the mobs run from my pet tiger knowing they can't get away from him! I named him "Stimpy".

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Elementalist chicks are teh Hottest...    Mezmer primaries are only for ppl with Corset fetishes.

If you're rolling a Male char.. well..   It's going to look like a Tool nomatter what ya do.
  • AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

As with everything in Guild Wars, there is no "better".

Advantages of E/Me:

• more damage (16 attribute vs 12);
    • can cast exhaustion spells more often (due to the energy "buffer" I mentioned in the other thread);
    • generally better at dispatching large groups of enemies;
    • more resilient to energy denial;
    • less vulnerable to enchant stripping.

Advantages of Me/E:

• faster and more frequent nukes;
    • generally better at quickly killing dangerous enemies;
    • can actually do some damage before the monsters die from other damage sources.

Overall the E/Me is more of a "big guns" type, takes his time to cast things but when they land, it's ouch. The Me/E is way more flexible and quick in his job, although I couldn't rely on him if I needed a couple of Meteor Showers without him running dry.

• Ka7raKKa7raK Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Akaraxle

As with everything in Guild Wars, there is no "better".
    In this case, there is better. This has been extensively discussed in many foruns but most people i know say the E/Me is better and i agree. However, E/Me is better before you have good energy recover skills. Once you learn how to do a good energy management, Me/E is better because the Fast Casting becomes more useful than Energy Storage.

Originally posted by iller

Elementalist chicks are teh Hottest...    Mezmer primaries are only for ppl with Corset fetishes.

If you're rolling a Male char.. well..   It's going to look like a Tool nomatter what ya do.
    Of course we are not here to discuss which character is hottest. The discussion between E/Me and Me/E could do well without newbs saying "Elementalist chicks are teh Hottest".

Blog Portugu

Originally posted by Ka7raK
    In this case, there is better.
    Well... yes. Because of damage, though :P

Originally posted by Akaraxle

In this case, there is better.
    Well... yes. Because of damage, though :P

Well, damage also has a small effect on the decision but the fact is that the Mesmer's Fast Casting is more useful than the Elementalist's Energy Storage in the long run. The big fight between Me/E and E/Me is because of this. Which combo is better doesn't have to do with damage.

Blog Portugu

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

As I see it, the biggest reason to go E/Me is to have Archane Echo or Echo (elite) to be able to spam nukes or spikes. However, once your Mesmer caps Glyph of Renewal and combines it with Glyph of Lesser Energy and Fire Attunement, suddenly energy storage isn't an issue for the Me/E.

Why then go E/Me when energy storage is no longer that combo's big advantage?

A Mesmer with glyphs and attunement doesn't have issues with energy storage (providing you've got plenty of energy to begin with). But what an Me/E gives you is the ability to cast at least 50% faster. Sure, the E.Me with 16 aps on fire has the potential to do more damage, but interrupted attacks cause no damage at all! The Me/E does less damage per fire attack, but is also less likely to be interrupted due to fast-casting.

Meteor causes 119 damage at 16 aps on fire for an E/Me. An Me/E gets a max of 12 aps on fire, so Meteor does only 91 damage. Now, assuming both are using echo, the E/Me has the potential to do more than twice the damage. But if even one of his attacks is interrupted, suddenly the fast-casting Me/E is out-damaging the potentially more powerful E/Me because he is more likely to get 2 attacks in vs. the E/Me's one attack.

Against foes that presented no danger of interrupting a caster, the E/Me can out damage virtually anything in the game. But in a mission or zone with lots of interrupts, suddenly the Me/E becomes more valuable.

Don't get me wrong, I like Elementalists. I just don't think a Mesmer secondary makes them any better than any other secondary. I'll take an E/Mo over an E/Me in any zone, but I'll take an Me/E over just about any E/* in zones with a lot of "soft targets" and a interrupting foes, where fast-casting can mean the difference between being able to get off an attack or be interrupted.

IOW, my personal preference is E/Mo over E/Me or Me/E, except in zones with lots of interrupts. Then Me/E becomes the better choice.

Of course we are not here to discuss which character is hottest. The discussion between E/Me and Me/E could do well without newbs saying "Elementalist chicks are teh Hottest".

Lol, who you calling a newb?  I got more posts than you, registered long before you did, and have been following this Design Team very closely since 1995.

As for 'Teh Hottest'... that was obviously satire, to demean the perceived relevance of this Topic.  Me/Ele VS Ele/Me has all the poignance and captivation of Coke VS Pepsi.

Lol, who you calling a newb?  I got more posts than you, registered long before you did, and have been following this Design Team very closely since 1995.

As for 'Teh Hottest'... that was obviously satire, to demean the perceived relevance of this Topic.  Me/Ele VS Ele/Me has all the poignance and captivation of Coke VS Pepsi.

Then i apologise. I thought you were nothing more than a fool posting crap but i see the ironic/humour behaviour. As to the poignance of this discussion, you should understand that it is, indeed, an interesting subject and a good reason to post in these forums. Still, i apologise. I mean you no harm.

Blog Portugu

Oh sure, it IS interesting when/if you start to revolve the discussion around top rank PvP, or very very End-Game PvE(everyone on Teamspeak, super minmaxxed builds/teams, etc) but as I alluded to... that(and most examples cited here) only holds serious importance to the kind of people you'd expect to find at a trade show if this was any other Industry.

I'm admittedly not the brightest player around but I'm no newb either, so I really appreciate the quick apology none the less

Oh sure, it IS interesting when/if you start to revolve the discussion around top rank PvP, or very very End-Game PvE(everyone on Teamspeak, super minmaxxed builds/teams, etc) but as I alluded to... that(and most examples cited here) only holds serious importance to the kind of people you'd expect to find at a trade show if this was any other Industry.

I'm admittedly not the brightest player around but I'm no newb either, so I really appreciate the quick apology none the less
    It's good to have people with your attitude in the world. Note that i'm saying this without any emotion associated so i won't apologise this time. I just expect you to be more "forum-friendly".

Blog Portugu

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    The strengths of each  primary have been noted, but I think a lot depends on what your trying to do. Is this pve, ra, gvg? If its mainly dammage using ele skills, Id go with ele primary for the energy and attribute. Id really only use mesmer primary if its gvg needing quick spikes or gales.

Originally posted by Serling
    Don't get me wrong, I like Elementalists. I just don't think a Mesmer secondary makes them any better than any other secondary. I'll take an E/Mo over an E/Me in any zone, but I'll take an Me/E over just about any E/* in zones with a lot of "soft targets" and a interrupting foes, where fast-casting can mean the difference between being able to get off an attack or be interrupted.
    You might want to take a look at builds like this, though ;)

You can't expect that kind of discussion on a multi-game unofficial portal... if you want that, head over to TGH or team-iq. I could ramble over and over about how what happened to my guild at the playoffs or that split ritualist we have, but how many do you think would care?

• CaleSentariCaleSentari Member Posts: 178
    Mes if they have a bar full of caster hate....oh wait...you guys meant...if the mes was using ele skil....ahh nvm
  • SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Nihilist

The strengths of each  primary have been noted, but I think a lot depends on what your trying to do. Is this pve, ra, gvg? If its mainly dammage using ele skills, Id go with ele primary for the energy and attribute. Id really only use mesmer primary if its gvg needing quick spikes or gales.

In this topic I was meaning mostly PvE but GvG and RA and HoH brings up a valid point.  I think in PvP situations Me/E would be better as Glyphs and energy stealing would be a better tool than storage as PvP can be over quickly so you need spells cast quickly.  As for the "Coke vs. Pepsi" argument earlier.  This is in no way similar.  Coke vs. Pepsi is subjective to peoples tastes and puts no weight into anything.  This discussion was merely started because there was a "debate" on another thread hijacking the reason of the post (making it off topic by a lot) so I started this one.  This topic brings up a lot of good points and I think that it could be used by people who new to Guild Wars or perhaps are now interested in trying the builds.  Now they will have more information and point of views and perhaps can contribute something to the conversation.

In PvE (which is what I meant when starting topic) I think E/Me has a decided advantage even in zones where interrupts are around because even in those zones I'm able to avoid the interrupts by doing my job and staying way int he back and letting all the tanks take the heat i.e. letting them rush in, engage all the enemies and bunch them up, then lay down my spells.  Stay far back enough and you dont get hit by interrupts because the PvE warriors are engaged and the PvE rangers are well out of range to hit you with anything.  So that point seems invalid to me but that's just my opinion.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

In PvE (which is what I meant when starting topic) I think E/Me has a decided advantage even in zones where interrupts are around because even in those zones I'm able to avoid the interrupts by doing my job and staying way int he back and letting all the tanks take the heat i.e. letting them rush in, engage all the enemies and bunch them up, then lay down my spells.  Stay far back enough and you dont get hit by interrupts because the PvE warriors are engaged and the PvE rangers are well out of range to hit you with anything.  So that point seems invalid to me but that's just my opinion.

You just proved why this is still Coke V Pepsi.  ...Not all ELE & MEZ players want to play the timid-little-bitch role... Mezzers especially tend to stay near the front lines for Targeting and Leadership reasons.   You can't say there's a huge advantage to one build over-all, over its flip-flop, and then only constrain the template to a single Play-style that You dictate.   This is Guildwars afterall and player preferences and skill can overcome the usual Binary conditions in other games which typically dictate a sole-FotM.  So maybe, if this was another game I'd concede your point about Optimal PvE, but I'll only buy it here if you're talking about Uberness for n00b Nukers.   Me/Ele or Ele/Me can do a lot more for a team than just Nuke in PvE.