Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This forum is becoming a joke

bryanAbryanA Member Posts: 62
It seems that every game has at least 1-4 trolls they just start new post and reply with bashing the game. Most of the time they act childish and sometimes they just try to start a big flame war. Give us a ignore feature So that we can actually have good posts in the forums. I am tired of seeing "DONT BUY THIS GAME CAZ IT SUXXORS!!!111!!!

Comments

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    Its funny how each forum is complaining about the 1-4 forum trolls who say "DONT BUY THIS GAME CAZ IT SUXXORS!!!111!!!
  • MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

Why it is funny? It can be disruptive.

• ApocalypticaApocalyptica Member Posts: 491
    There always will be trolls. I usually skip the posts from those peep and carry on reading the thread. Does not bother me, so yes, just ignore them.

------------------------------------------------------
    Do I ever sleep?

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Evan and Ben are actually working on a pretty cool ignore feature for the forums.  I think you will see this up in the next few weeks or sooner

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Working on one, or "adapting" one from freely available/GPLed forum software?
    Originally posted by Ulujain

Working on one, or "adapting" one from freely available/GPLed forum software?

I'm honestly not sure if it is 100% original idea wise (I mean how many ways can you adapt an ignore feature), but it is not overly complex.  I can say that all the code in our site minus this WYSIWYG editor and the Java chat rooms and a few handy JS snippets is all by us

It's really just a matter of loading something into your session that has a list of your ignored members and then client side we will hide these from you on page render.  I supposed other forums might be using such a technique but it's not exactly mind blowing algorythms here...hehe.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• bouncebounce Member UncommonPosts: 24
    op: you complain about trolls, yet you choose a seriously trollish thread-title

on topic: to me it looks like some more work on the moderators end needs

to be done..locking/removing threads, banning accounts etc...

but please do it 'moderate' if you do so

any topic "omg teh sucks" should be removed on the spot, you still can use

the comment/rating for that, where i think it's legit to express yourself in the

'full range' ;)
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by bryanA

It seems that every game has at least 1-4 trolls they just start new post and reply with bashing the game. Most of the time they act childish and sometimes they just try to start a big flame war. Give us a ignore feature So that we can actually have good posts in the forums. I am tired of seeing "DONT BUY THIS GAME CAZ IT SUXXORS!!!111!!!

we don't see this post at least once a week.

you're either part of the solution or part of the problem.  this thread is definitely not part of the former.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Why load it into your session, Admin? Database space at a premium around here? Just create a field, call it user_ignore or something and modify your forum script to do user field inserts by user id or similar.

Has to work better than a session, especially in the light that you guys don't even set persistent cookies.

• bryanAbryanA Member Posts: 62
    Prolly a really LAME idea but I think it would be kool if we had a blog type thing with our accounts. Kinda like myspace but I dont have one because I hate myspace. But yeah I would use a similar feature if it were here. Just some brain food for you guys though And I can't wait for the ignore feature all I have to say is "Serpintile" or whatever his name is.
    To be honest I visit this site alot and I hardly post anything but I do read alot of what you guys say. All I wanted was this issue to be seen so what better way for me to get my point across with a forum title of "Ignore feature requested".  No, I wanted to get my point across because I have seen more and more trolls. I will admit I am no angel I did get banned from this site  over the mourning thingy. But overall I don't post but I do love seeing what you guys have to say when it isn't bashing whining or crying. And I like to see 3 page discussions about people trying to make their point. But I am sure you guys know who I am talking about because I continually see their names in ever sub forum and in every thread. Sorry if my title was childish but it got your attention and you don't seem to be a troll/child so overall I am typing nothing but nonsense now yet your still reading maybe in the end you just want to read every little thing I type but I think I can type more and more but i will just stop.
  • MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

Keep an eye out in the coming months, you've touched upon something that's already in the works.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

Why load it into your session, Admin? Database space at a premium around here? Just create a field, call it user_ignore or something and modify your forum script to do user field inserts by user id or similar.
    Has to work better than a session, especially in the light that you guys don't even set persistent cookies.

The feature will be a mix of both database and session persitence for performance reasons.  Thanks for your feedback though!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The quick answer is that our post/thread lookups are cached sitewide for increased performance, not built for every user...which would be exhausting on the database server.  It will be stored in the database, but loaded into your session at login   Don't worry though it will work...that's why we have great devs 

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

3 cheers to my.mmorpgspace.com  if that was what you were hinting I can't wait. And if it was maybe you can make it like a rpg with a level system of somesort that let's you do more things to your page the more you use it. And give us more avatars for different types of play styles like fantasy/sci fi/western... Well actually you guys are the devs but if you do something new make it kinda like a MMORPG since after all we are at mmorpg.com good luck
  • skywisenightskywisenight Member UncommonPosts: 348
    There is now an ignore feature.  Read about it here (fourth post): http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/108874