Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardcore roleplaying game.. is there?

Heya,

Is there or will there be a MMO game in which roleplaying is above all,
above leveling, above equipment, above grinding and solving quests.
Where players dictate other player advancement. Where GMs rule and
shape the advancement and give or take bonuses depending on other
player roleplaying abilities. Everyone can get through grinding and
quests to high levels in most of present MMOs, but is there a game
where roleplaying is that rewarding aspect?

Most of the games Ive played: GW, DDO, WoW, EQ2  have very limited
roleplaying , or roleplaying is not that important, and after seeing
most players just ignore RP you just lose the will to RP yourself, and
just go after who has the most powerful equip. Game with limited RP is
not a roleplaying game for me. Most RP elements Ive only experienced in
NWN. It seems to me that only games that are free (no monthly fee) are
closer to RP than others, and I find that strange, also games with
modding abilities.

I know there are roleplaying guilds in all avail MMOs, but roleplaying in non-RP world is pointless.

So, is there a game where most of the time you have to be IC and are
penalized with some "roleplaying penalty", where GMs control the
environment, where there is reputation based on roleplaying actions,
where players shape the world...image
I know such a world would acquire huge number of GMs,nice interactive
world editing system toolset, but hey anyone can dream, right? image

Also I somehow think such a world would probably be rejected by majority...image

Thanx.

Comments

• ZycieZycie Member Posts: 5
    It sounds like you're describing Underlight, but that's a very old game. You're right about free games being more roleplay-oriented than commercial releases. Planeshift is a free game, and it has the most dedicated roleplaying community I've seen. If you want to stick with more commercial games, though, I know that City of Heroes has a designated roleplaying sever that can be very rewarding to play on.

• CeLL1978CeLL1978 Member Posts: 25
    Underlight description seems nice... but yea, its a bit old, although I played lots of good RP MUDS out there, so gfx is not the important factor. I heard something about CoH/CoV and nice roleplay but I dont know if will be able to get into the superhero rp environment, Im more.. a fantasy junkie.image Im still hoping for a nice EQ2 gameplay style with hardcore roleplay (no names above ingame character faces unless you meet them, certain jobs and roles in the world chars can get into and role them (like a city guardimage), huge number of /e's, roleplay leveling achievements and rewards, etc.).
    If everything else fails, Ill give CoH a shot image
  • brutotalbrutotal Member Posts: 276
    Eve is pretty much run by players, but it has its own set of problems. 

Just trying EVE, looks nice, but Ive only tested it for few days. Anyways, look promising :)

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159
    EVE, while a good game, isn't exactly a game designed around RPing.  I've been looking for a game like the one described in this thread for a long while.  Haven't found one.  The only one that came close, though the name slips my mind right now, was primarilly in German, thus preventing me from understanding much of what was being said.  Underlight's registration is apparently closed.

If anyone can find this game, I know I'll be greatful.

• PhinehasPhinehas Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Zycie
    It sounds like you're describing Underlight, but that's a very old game. You're right about free games being more roleplay-oriented than commercial releases. Planeshift is a free game, and it has the most dedicated roleplaying community I've seen. If you want to stick with more commercial games, though, I know that City of Heroes has a designated roleplaying sever that can be very rewarding to play on.

I wouldn't put too much hope in Planeshift. While at the service it seems player-oriented and RP-focused, if you get down deeper you'll realize that it's just no that true. The quality of the roleplaying is extremely low, by my standards. The community used to be much better, but all the people who really knew what they were doing as far as quality roleplaying goes left, including me, since yesterday. I also find that the settings are rather "strange" and aren't really backed up by any logic, hence there's only a certain depth you can delve into the world before hitting the "that's just the way it is" barrier.

I'm actually thinking of starting a real RP-oriented game like mentioned in this thread, but you'll have to give me a couple of years. ;)

[i][color=red]Phinehas[/i][/color]

Haha, well, we can wait image, 'cause there is nothing else we can do. Anyway, Im hoping hc rp game will hit the market soon. I think the only game that will be embraced with a lot of roleplayers (at least at the beggining of 3D game roleplaying, and not text based muds) is something that are all familliar with, like Forgotten Realms setting/D&D rules. That setting was used througout a lot of games so people would have no trouble getting into the roleplay itself. Also, something close to Final Fantasy. I had much hope in D&D Online, but that just isnt even close to something RP-wise. It just seems like all the other mmo-s (eq2, wow). image
  • KaptainZergKaptainZerg Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Phinehas
    I wouldn't put too much hope in Planeshift. While at the service it seems player-oriented and RP-focused, if you get down deeper you'll realize that it's just no that true. The quality of the roleplaying is extremely low, by my standards. The community used to be much better, but all the people who really knew what they were doing as far as quality roleplaying goes left, including me, since yesterday. I also find that the settings are rather "strange" and aren't really backed up by any logic, hence there's only a certain depth you can delve into the world before hitting the "that's just the way it is" barrier.

I don't want to sidetrack this discussion because what the OP is looking for is what I'm looking for, too, But, Phinehas, I think I remember you from Planshift from like two years ago---if you're the same Phinehas I am varguely remembering. It was from the time when we were picking up crystals and not much more, and the map was small, though a good map it was; and that guy who played a female who the devs named the tavern after was still playing. Rememebr? lol. Ok, well, after that short, little preamble I'd like to agree with you that the RP in Plainshift wasn't really that good, and nowadays it really crap. But, still, since we had nothing else to do in the game in its perpetual alpha state most people did turn to role-playing, and it was hopeful. Too bad the devs turned out to be nasty tyrants when players made critical remarks. I left after they banned a few players from the forums. The devs never really did much with the game after that except to screw up the controls and prevent us from jumping across rooftops. It began to feel like jail after a while so I left.

Yeah, anyway, Plainshift: the best mmorpg that almost is and never was. Or, something like that! ::::17::

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159

Seeing as how it's unlikely any MMO like this exists at the moment, I guess I'll take this chance to ask fellow RP'ers a question: Anybody have a decent RP guild in any games?

• shezombshezomb Member Posts: 65
    If you haven't yet, you can try Ryzom ^^ We have a pretty strong RP community with player and GM run events happening from time to time, for me at least, ryzom feels more like a world then a game (yes there is a diffrence) you might like it ;) worth a shot at least, it has a unlimited freetrial now that has some quests to explain the basic gameplay, but it isn't missiondriven at all, the only reason to do missions is for fame and dappers ;) appart from the rites (only a few working ingame at the moment) that unlock lore and give some cool rewards :)

Hope you find your place to stay ;) good luck image

*hugs from lil me*

*Brain down for upgrade, don't try to understand my logic, I don't...*

Whoa, Ryzom sure looks abstract, not bad. With unlimited free trial as you say, Ill definatelly try that.
    Cheers for the heads up image

• Omega-RedOmega-Red Member Posts: 7

www.helbreathusa.com

this game is mainly pvp, but has a wide PVM enviorment. Its basic, addictive, and x10 better then wow for pvp and Pvm.

max lvl is 180 which takes about 6months-1 year if you grind. Items are a big role in the game, and arnt really hard to obtain after you know how to play. try it free for 2 weeks, no subscription required to play. After 2 weeks it costs 10 bucks a month.

if u do p2p the game pls use this link https://secure.ient.com/hb/signupfree.php?paf=2475 

• PhinehasPhinehas Member Posts: 2
    Ryzom did seem pretty cool, but I for one decided I need a break frop mmorpgs. I just get sick of always being the one who's RPing at a higher level than everyone else. In Planeshift I was a major member of the community, but I finally got sick of always trying to do things to up the level of RP. That, of course, meant that I spent huge amounts of time in the game and forums tryiing to do things like start organizations or RP sequences, or RP guilds, etc. etc. etc. After a while I just got burnt out. I just wasn't getting enough fun from the game to justify the continued effort, especially when I realized how little most of the other players cared... I just don't think I'm ready to dedicate that amount of time to another mmorpg just to go through the whole thing again. Maybe in a year I'll feel a bit rested from it, we'll see...

[i][color=red]Phinehas[/i][/color]

• shezombshezomb Member Posts: 65
    Well, if you're really tired of pulling thing I'd suggest joining one of the many rp guilds there are... I know there's a guild of people from the former Seed community that seem to be pretty hardcore :P Also there are a lot of minor rp guilds and mostly anyone (appart from some of the highlvl PvP people) will rp back if you just stay in character ^^

Though I can defenatly understand the need of a break :D have had those myself after doing guildleader duties for a few months straight :P

*hugs from lil me*

*Brain down for upgrade, don't try to understand my logic, I don't...*

• LexBlueLexBlue Member Posts: 4

I've found some decent roleplay in WoW, but it really really depends on the server's community and you're only gonna see alot of it if you join a heavy RP guild.  Because as another person mentioned in this forum, even on RP servers, most people don't roleplay (but at least tolerate it, in my experience).  At least simply playing WoW is still enjoyable for me, while I'm looking for other types of interaction. 

SWG f'ed up some things and just wasn't as fun as it should've been (IMHO), Ryzom's story and grind were boring, LOTR Online doesn't have playable evil races (so I'm Horde at heart :P), Vanguard looks somewhat promising... though I'm beginning to think that no online game will ever try to enforce RP, because they might lose customers....  image

(But we can dream, right?)

Unfortunatelly there will be no extensive roleplaying in games that roleplaying isnt forced, so the only thing to do is to shield yourself with a large number of roleplay addicts and form a guild. The other nice thing is to divide roleplaying into sections and satisfy your daily needs with a random encounter.image As for me, Ill wait for a forced rp game because I find no satisfaction in rping in OOC environment. image
  • govedotogovedoto Member Posts: 11
    hardcore MMO= Lineage 2 imo

2Fast4you