Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, I went out and got a 360...

Yep, I figured I had been a good boy this year, and decided to get myself a present. Armed with a credit card, I went out a few days ago to buy a console.

Actually, I was shooting for a Wii, but guess what? In the three stores I looked, I found none. Simply because they were completely sold out. I did however, notice quite a few 20 GB PS3s (Everyone wants a 60 GB), but I wouldn't buy one for a multitude of reasons I have already explained throughly.

Anyway, on my third and finale shop, there is of course, no Wii, so I decide to settle for second prize. I grabbed a Xbox 360. The package was the upper level one, and it also came with Need for Speed: Most Wanted. For games, I also picked up Gears of War and Lego Star Wars II.

So, I hook up the Console. After a few moments of trouble (Which was all user error, like putting the batteries in wrong for the controller), I shove in Gears of War. Now, I'm not a graphics guy, but on my sub-par CRT TV, the thing still looks amazing. The Gameplay  was pretty amazing, once I got the hang of it (the game does have a learning curve) The story was a bit weak, but I wasn't paying much attention. I was too busy having fun splattering guts across the screen with the Chainsaw.

Lego Star Wars..... well, it was alright. It was fun for a while, but the novelty of pulling off arms with Chewbacca wore off about halfway through. It had nice graphics, but the pretty picture can only keep me going so long.I've heard nice reviews about it, but I didn't find it all that great. There was a bit too much collecting going on.

Need for Speed. I'm not into racing games all that much. However, I've had decent fun with this game. Its fun to evade the 10-20 police cars you can eventually get chasing you. Once again, it looks pretty, which I've said about all the games so far, but its true (Especially for Gears of War. That game continues to blow my mind).

Overall, so far my experience with the 360 has been positive. I'm happy with my purchase. I still wish I had gotten a Wii, but we'll have to wait until I get some more extra money, and they actually have some in stores.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

Comments

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217
    Whatever possessed you to buy Lego/Need for Speed as your first games, that'll hardly give you a good insight into what the 360 can offer. Most people go with PGR3 / Oblivion / Farcry Predator, I'd recommend those when you trade your first two.

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286
    Originally posted by Anageth

Whatever possessed you to buy Lego/Need for Speed as your first games, that'll hardly give you a good insight into what the 360 can offer. Most people go with PGR3 / Oblivion / Farcry Predator, I'd recommend those when you trade your first two.
    Well, Need for Speed came with the Package, and I had heard good things about Lego. I'm going to buy Oblivion for the computer (For the Mods), And probably Rainbow Six Vegas and Farcry sounds good. Like I said, I'm not much into Racing games, NFS just came with it.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    Nice man, welcome to the club! Hey you now need to get xbox live and start downloading demos, espically Lost Planet Single and Multiplayer. Farcry is good too. Tomb Raider Legends, Dead or Alive 4, G.R.A.W., blah blah blah. There is demos for a lot of the good games out there. You need to get the hook up. I'm pretty sure you got that 48 hour Xbox Live free card with Gears of War.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

My first game for the 360, which was about 4 days ago, was Viva Pinata! I love it, its fuckin fun despite being an obvious childs game. I also picked up Dead Rising a couple days ago which is alright. I am a bit disappointed though as it got such good reviews I was expecting a bit more.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Nice man, welcome to the club! Hey you now need to get xbox live and start downloading demos, espically Lost Planet Single and Multiplayer. Farcry is good too. Tomb Raider Legends, Dead or Alive 4, G.R.A.W., blah blah blah. There is demos for a lot of the good games out there. You need to get the hook up. I'm pretty sure you got that 48 hour Xbox Live free card with Gears of War.

I'm planning on Xbox Live pretty soon, I'm probably going to get it with the Second round of games I'm planning on buying soon. I've already got the gear, and I think a free Silver membership, just haven't hooked it up

I really can't wait to fire up a Co-Op game with Gears of War, it just seems like it would be a jar or pure awesomeness waiting to be opened.

Viva Pinata. I want to play that game, although that interactive video got me mad, becuase I thought I'll get an experiece on it, yet it was just a bunch of crap talking saying press A or press B to see blah. I'm going to reserve the collectors edition of Lost Planet hopefully tomorrow.

• One exclusive bonus multiplayer map that will only be available in the Collector’s Edition until summer 2007
    • Custom designed exclusive cover art, for collector's edition only
    • Premium packaging in a sleek SteelBook metal case
    • Exclusive art book with concept sketches from all stages of development including character renders, VS renders and enemy art
    • Soundtrack of select songs from the game
    • Fan kit assets for gamers to create their own Lost Planet websites
    • Action packed videos and trailers
    • Wallpapers, AIM icons, board icons and signature banners
    • Digital art files including screens, character art and environment shots

It's quite possibly the best collectors since Oblivion.

|

• SockosisSockosis Member Posts: 6

Some games you should probably look into are Fight Night Round 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Saints Row (an obvious GTA clone, but a really good one).

Oh, don't forget to sign up for the Halo 3 beta. Maybe you'll get lucky. Just go to www.halo3.com

• gothokaosgothokaos Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Has anyone else even heard about Two Worlds for the 360?

xbox360.ign.com/articles/752/752250p1.html

The main webpage used to state it was coming out for the 360.

I can't find any references about it anymore.
  • End_of_a_eraEnd_of_a_era Member Posts: 527

I'm not liking these consoles tbh, find the PC much better;

360:

Most the games you can get for PC anyways, the ones it does have are overrated : I can't see anything good for the future too apart from 2 titles which i probally wont like anyways. I don't want to pay extra money for a live sub to be able to play them online, seems stupid to me when i can play online on PC for free.

Wii:

Graphics date back to 2001 and the controller feels like a short lived gimmick to me lol. I don't see this console lasting more than 2 years tbh and no game i've played on it so far has been any good.

PS3:

Overpriced and blu-ray looks like it's losing so your paying 200 more for a blu ray player thats useless. The games so far have been horrible and i hate the new controller. Future games exclusives seem to be lost because it's not sold well so far and if they havn't then i look forward to them. The console just seems a mess atm, needs a year but it's all im giving it.

Windows Vista:

I'm starting to hate Microsoft they're charging $400 or £350 odd (which is like $700) for Vista and if you buy a cheaper version ur basically gimped, like it was with Home and Pro. It's too expensive and too much of a rip-off. They're gonna mix 360 and PC multiplayer games together which is stupid lol. The OS seems to restrict us even more and make us feed microsoft more money.

I'm just going to stick with XP and wait for DX10 cracks lol.

imageimage

Originally posted by End_of_a_era

360:
    Most the games you can get for PC anyways, the ones it does have are overrated : I can't see anything good for the future too apart from 2 titles which i probally wont like anyways. I don't want to pay extra money for a live sub to be able to play them online, seems stupid to me when i can play online on PC for free.

Wii:
    Graphics date back to 2001 and the controller feels like a short lived gimmick to me lol. I don't see this console lasting more than 2 years tbh and no game i've played on it so far has been any good.

PS3:
    Overpriced and blu-ray looks like it's losing so your paying 200 more for a blu ray player thats useless. The games so far have been horrible and i hate the new controller. Future games exclusives seem to be lost because it's not sold well so far and if they havn't then i look forward to them. The console just seems a mess atm, needs a year but it's all im giving it.

Windows Vista:
    I'm starting to hate Microsoft they're charging $400 or £350 odd (which is like $700) for Vista and if you buy a cheaper version ur basically gimped, like it was with Home and Pro. It's too expensive and too much of a rip-off. They're gonna mix 360 and PC multiplayer games together which is stupid lol. The OS seems to restrict us even more and make us feed microsoft more money.

Thats cool, I respect your opinions and everything but this really isn't a competition thread. We are really just talking about different games for the 360.

Oh and also if you already have Windows XP (home or Pro) all you need to do is buy the upgrade edition which is about $150 for home premium Vista (not sure about Euro or GB prices). Which is really all you need unless you are a business.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

• gizma99kgizma99k Member Posts: 239
    What kind of cable is needed to hook the 360 to the internet?
    A normal eithernet cable. Like the ones you hook in your pc and routers and stuff.

|

Standard broadband internet cable I think, not 100% sure as I use the wireless adapter.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

• gizma99kgizma99k Member Posts: 239
    Oh okay thank you =D I'm hoping to get the 360 tomorrow and then grab GoW and play some Live.
    Originally posted by Keebs1984

Standard broadband internet cable I think, not 100% sure as I use the wireless adapter.

I'm pretty sure he's right, as I have the cable in front of me and I'm about 99% sure its a standard internet cable, as its got the same type plug things.

Originally posted by mithrandir72

Originally posted by Keebs1984

I'm pretty sure he's right, as I have the cable in front of me and I'm about 99% sure its a standard internet cable, as its got the same type plug things.

Correct, I use an RJ45 ethernet cable, goes out of my window and into my housemate's router.

Gears of Wars's Co-Op is great, but I'm not feeling the Multiplayer side of it. I just haven't played it much. I'm addicted to the Lost Planet Multiplayer Demo though.

|

Originally posted by gothokaos

Has anyone else even heard about Two Worlds for the 360?

xbox360.ign.com/articles/752/752250p1.html

The main webpage used to state it was coming out for the 360.

I can't find any references about it anymore.
    Thanks for the info, I'm checking it out now.

|

Wii:

You're going to get such a woopin from Spatothan, or whoever that Boba Fett guy is.  Gimmick is not the word to use in this forum.

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Gears of Wars's Co-Op is great, but I'm not feeling the Multiplayer side of it. I just haven't played it much. I'm addicted to the Lost Planet Multiplayer Demo though.

I have tried getting into the GOW multiplayer and it was fun for the first little bit but now its just boring, it’s the same old thing done a thousand times before. I really liked GOW but I also picked up RS:  Vegas and the game are better then GOW, the multiplayer in Vegas is really good too, far better then GOW. Lost Planet is going to be a lot of fun I am looking forward to trying that game out, the Demo is amazing for a Demo it’s so bloody addictive. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• End_of_a_eraEnd_of_a_era Member Posts: 527

Wii:

You're going to get such a woopin from Spatothan, or whoever that Boba Fett guy is.  Gimmick is not the word to use in this forum.

fad then

imageimage

• desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390
    fad then

Nintendo is the only current console company with a history of creativity in their systems. Not everything has been a large success, but the influence is still there. Do you think there would have been DDR if there wasn't for the powerpad? Virtualboys may not have made a lot of money but you can't say they are afraid to try new things to make console gaming more fun.

Xboxs and Playstations are decent hardware, but by no means creative. The games play a lot like the old xbox games and some PS3 games play like PS1 games. It isn't a coincidence.

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587
    Originally posted by mithrandir72

I'm planning on Xbox Live pretty soon, I'm probably going to get it with the Second round of games I'm planning on buying soon. I've already got the gear, and I think a free Silver membership, just haven't hooked it up

I really can't wait to fire up a Co-Op game with Gears of War, it just seems like it would be a jar or pure awesomeness waiting to be opened.

For Xbox Live there is a free 2 month (i think 2 month) membership you get when you buy the console, and if that runs out stop by Burger King and pick up those games, theres free Xbox Live memberships in there

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

360:

Wii:

PS3:

Windows Vista:

Oh MY GOD! DONT USE THAT WORD!!!! MUST I GET THE DEFINITION OF IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?