Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS3 failed, Blueray is losing, SWG will be next

admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Lets face it, SWG only exists now thanks to SOE's deep pockets. The subscriptions certainly dont cover the $10 million dollar licensing fee annually due to LucasArts. And now, SOE's deep pockets are drying up. You can bet SWG will be killed soon.

http://www.hdnowonline.com/News_and_links.html

Assorted News regarding the "format war"

December 3rd 2006

Commentary - The dramatic Failure of the PS3 to affect the "Format War"

Although HD DVD has been outselling Bluray by a wide margin for the entire year so far since the launch of the two formats, some pundits were saying that the launch of the PS3 would reverse this lead. Arguably, the PS3 launch was Sony's LAST CHANCE to prove their strategy as correct. We, and others, feel it has failed miserably to do so.

Some studios will have been quietly preparing their contingency plans in the event that Bluray did not make up the lost ground in the market. We urge these studios to protect their shareholders from Bluray's failure and start adding HD DVD releases to their catalogs.

So November saw the launch of the PS3. As one can see by using "The DVD Wars" Amazon sales figures as a yardstick - HD DVD movie sales continue to outpace Bluray by a wide margin. The number of titles from each format in Amazon's Top 10,000 shows the sales difference best. The "latest" excuse we've heard given, is that there are "so many" PS3s on eBay, that no-one really has any machines at home yet. We believe this to be patently FALSE. A quick check online at various sources can barely account for a few 10's of PS3s - certainly not 125,000 to 175,000.

Aside from all the issues covered here below, it would appear that the PS3 is not going to have a significant "attach rate" for movies - which ultimately is the only way it can affect the balance between the two HD movie formats. This movie attach rate is probably the most important factor to the Studios.

Due to many production issues, the predictions that there would be 2 million PS3s sold in 2006 have been reduced to a paltry 125,000 to 175,000 reported to have shipped for the launch. Furthermore, there were apparently only 5 video games available specifically for the PS3 at launch, with 8 more in the pipeline. And there were reported problems with the game console, as well as very poor, to middling or just mixed reviews. Those who saw these issues coming are being shown to be correct.

Worse yet - there are multiple reports surfacing that a "hack" weakness has been discovered in the PS3 that allows games, and also Bluray movies, to be copied to the harddrive. This may well be of great concern to content providers.

Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 sales have passed the 6 million unit mark, on their way to a projected 10 million units by the end of 2006. And the Xbox 360 HD DVD player has had very successful sales since its launch in November. Sony has also launched it's standalone Bluray player, to mixed reviews.

Indeed, with all the launch delays, increased costs, lack of sales and the apparent difficulty of developing for the platform, more and more Game Developers are moving their development efforts to the Xbox 360 platform instead of the PS3. This includes games that were originally to have been exclusive to the PS3. Even Grand Turismo HD has been cancelled, leaving the PS3 without a GT game until 2008!

In fact, the launch of the PS3 has gone so badly that it is said to be the reason that Ken Kutaragi has been removed from his role in the running of the games division. Some analysts have said that Sony will likely not ever develop a PS4, which may further reduce any incentive for software game developers to create new games for the PS3. A decidely poor Games "Attach Rate" may also hurt the PS3's chances further.

And industry analysts have renewed their calls that the HD DVD format will be "victorious" over the Bluray format as a result. And some state that the lack of games and the high price are a reason to give the PS3 a "miss" for the time being.

Comments

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508
    Yep I expected this. Sony is slowly losing. Their horrid business tactics is finally starting to show itself in large amounts. They are making some of the worst business decisions in a long time. And if they dont change direction significantly I can see Sony going down the tubes.

We all like to say that is SWG is being used by other game companies as an example of what NOT to do in game developement. But now I think corporations need to look to Sony as an example of how NOT to run a corporation.

Kai
  • NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by kaibigan34

Yep I expected this. Sony is slowly losing. Their horrid business tactics is finally starting to show itself in large amounts. They are making some of the worst business decisions in a long time. And if they dont change direction significantly I can see Sony going down the tubes.

We all like to say that is SWG is being used by other game companies as an example of what NOT to do in game developement. But now I think corporations need to look to Sony as an example of how NOT to run a corporation.

Kai
    QFT.

Sony has really been doing incredibly poor with their decisions. They ship a console that costs over half a grand, and then hardly ship any of it, and then we find out it's hardly better graphic wise [and in some ways may be worse!] Than the 360!
  • zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926
     While granted production issues and supply issues i truely believe more speculaters were in line for the ps3. While we most certainly saw speculation with the wii it seems more folks were buying it to play it then re sell it .

I am wondering if the sales figures will change any when more supply of the ps 3 gets into main stream, and or when the price does drop some?

I do think cost was a factor as well as x box 360 just had more choices of games out.

Funny thing about supply and demand with lack of wii's around ds lites also sold out so nintendo not only did ok with wii's but they had a second big sale of ds lites...

Nice find o/p
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Sorry but thats a daft statement.

First where is the link showing the exact money SoE is paying LA?You have none and just blabbing any figure that comes to your mind until i see it.It can be a percentage ,it can be 1 zillion ,it can be $1.Show a link don't just make up numbers.

PS3 had production issues and every single of the 150k units made sold in matter of seconds.All you can get is now off ebay.So you can never tell what will happen if they manufacture another 1m units in a few months.If that fails to sell then you can claim ps3 is a failure.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070
    Originally posted by hercules

First where is the link showing the exact money SoE is paying LA?You have none and just blabbing any figure that comes to your mind until i see it.It can be a percentage ,it can be 1 zillion ,it can be $1.Show a link don't just make up numbers.
    PS3 had production issues and every single of the 150k units made sold in matter of seconds.All you can get is now off ebay.So you can never tell what will happen if they manufacture another 1m units in a few months.If that fails to sell then you can claim ps3 is a failure.

It was reported on starwars online site that SOE's pays 10 million dollars per year for the license. I dont have a link, can someone provide it please. Ive seen it posted a few times at least on various sites.

Sony projected sales of 2 million units. They sold 175k, thats a failure. Yes one can speculate production problems were the issue. One could also speculate that most of the PS3'S that sold out were to ebay resellers and otherwise the demand for PS3's are light. Regardless, the fact is Wii sold more than twice as many units as PS3. Can anyone state honestly they thought that Wii would even be close to PS3 sales, much less whip them by double ?

Sony's stock took a big hit, costing investors BILLIONS in lost value. Thats also a big fat failure.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/300.html

hd-dvd sales are double over bluray, hmm smells like a failure to me. Its not even close in fact, hd-dvd sales win by 3 to 1 margin.

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/32/15132.php

• End_of_a_eraEnd_of_a_era Member Posts: 527
    This has nothing to do with SWG or SOE tbh.

imageimage

• jrgambitjrgambit Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by End_of_a_era

This has nothing to do with SWG or SOE tbh.
    Sure it does.   The OP is making the point that Sony may not be able to support SWG any longer due to lackluster performance in console, movie, and movie player sales.   One could then infer that shutdown for SWG is coming fairly soon because Sony will have to cut divisions that are losing money.

Either way, any bad sony news is good news.

--------------------
    SWG - Killed by $OE
    WOW - Retired
    Playing WAR

• I did read an article..I think it was either buried in Gamespot.com or one of those little quick Yahoo video game articles that the suits at SOE said that there would probably not be a PS4.  They foresee this system last a good 5 to 6 solid years.  They stated that they were more interested in going into the actual software side of gaming..in other words, pulling a SEGA. 

I wouldn't doubt they see this as a smart move since they produced a mammoth of  a gaming machine that was poorly produced and a little out of the price range of normal gamers.

As for SWG...this game can burn in hell...so many things in this game just do not make any sense as far as design goes.  Using the bazaar was and is a chore.  The quest system is still bugged out of its mind.  They are slowly adding expertise to the classes that don't have it yet??? HUH?!!!  You mean there are professions running around that don't have all their shit intact like other professions??  Besides, they should just rename this game to Jedi vs Bounty Hunter : Rise of the Commandos...cause those are the only 3 professions you ever see.  What a turd...god I want KoToR to be online..THAT would make sense. 

• acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405
    ok ok I hate soe as well, But you guys are a little to crazy hehe.

First The PS2 sells more than the xbox 360 ,  The money that sony makes from the ps2(all the games it sells) is more than enough hehe.  + the only reason the ps3 sales are low, it's because you Can't find it anywhere!  It will sell very well,  I think the wii will sell a lot more cuzz of its price, But the PS3 will sell more than the 360 for sure.  I have a 360, and love it, But as soon as I can I will get a ps3 as well,  Too many good games to pass on.  Now This BD/HDdvd war is just stupid.  the only diference between one and another, Is that the BD can have better sound, due to its storage,  Now one thing is for sure,  In the future Its better to have 40+ GB of sapce to develop games, than the 9gb of the dvds that the 360 uses.

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417
    I just spent 4 grand on my pc so I won't be getting a xbox 360 or a PS3!  Since the dx10 games on the pc will eventually look alot better then any console games that come out (Some already do that are in development) and that alot of those console games (on XBOX360 and PS3) will more then likely show up on the pc any way. I would  rather upgrade my pc which is a device I can do every thing on rather then spend 600 quid on a console which will only allow you to play games and is supporting HD technology thats not a standard yet. At least with the pc I can eventually get a HD optical drive depending on which format wins where as with the consoles you can't do that (plus I don't want to give Sony any more cash and I don't want to give MS another 300 quid for the xbox 360 especially after the cost of vista) . If you want a fun console get a nintendo wii it's not trying to be a home entertainment system which the PS3 and XBOX360 are trying to become and that's why eventually it will come out the winner at the end of it, as Nintendo are sticking to basics creating a games console thats fun for the whole family.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508
    Originally posted by acmtalk

ok ok I hate soe as well, But you guys are a little to crazy hehe.

First The PS2 sells more than the xbox 360 ,  The money that sony makes from the ps2(all the games it sells) is more than enough hehe.  + the only reason the ps3 sales are low, it's because you Can't find it anywhere!  It will sell very well,  I think the wii will sell a lot more cuzz of its price, But the PS3 will sell more than the 360 for sure.  I have a 360, and love it, But as soon as I can I will get a ps3 as well,  Too many good games to pass on.  Now This BD/HDdvd war is just stupid.  the only diference between one and another, Is that the BD can have better sound, due to its storage,  Now one thing is for sure,  In the future Its better to have 40+ GB of sapce to develop games, than the 9gb of the dvds that the 360 uses.
    Of course the PS2 has been out alot longer then the Xbox360. So yes it has sold more. But guess what? Sony will stop supporting it soon and it will go bye bye. The PS3 is crap. The 360 costs a heck of alot less. And alot of those games will be on both. Plus with the announcement that there may not be a PS4 many game companies will pull away from the PS3. So yes there are games now but in a couple years? Maybe not.

Blueray wont be a big success or replace DVD in anyway. Because, as Sony has done with other electronics, it will be hard to deal with it. Sony will try to keep it all to themselves and gouge the hell out of anyone who tries to make new drives. This will insure other companies wont even deal with it. Some movie companies refuse to even release movies on blue ray. And this will happen with game companies too.

HD-DVD stores 30gb (60gb if you dual layer). Blue ray stores 25gb (50gb if you dual layer). Blueray players will be alot more expensive. In some cases over double that of HD-DVD players....

Kai
  • MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Just so you all know, a rumor is circulating that a secondary Auditor has been brought into the picture, and further Federal Tax Evasion charges may occur. Add to that the "prediction" from inside SONY that this next Quater's & FY report announcement will be delayed.

Those in-the-know know how bad this is. Seriously, I would guess that SONY , and ALL Sub's will begin to see a shake-up, or a MAJOR shareholder / board shake-up will be coming. Look for SONY value to plummet after this Quarter's call....

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• DodeceDodece Member Posts: 76

The PS3s have not sold out in any way shape or form. I can verify this from personal experience, and I have looked into into it many people have reported PS3s in stock. Not only in stock, but not selling. You are seriously misinformed, or are still tainted by the speculator rush. By the way many speculators are returning the PS3s they bought to resell.

By the way Nintendo has sold over four million units of the Wii, and those are actually being sold as fast as they come in. You can find Wiis on Ebay with a modest markup for resale while a number of PS3s are being sold at considerable discount. I think those scalpers know something you do not. Were there a way to make money off the PS3s they would be doing just that. Just go look for yourself.

• BogdawsonBogdawson Member Posts: 202
    well the problem i see with sony is, They just doen't know what they want to be, They make movies,pc,games, stereos, tv, vcrs, dvd players, blu-ray players, mp3 players, cd players, tv shows, and more that just aren't coming to mind, they are trying to be a jack of all traits and the porblem with that is, if you can do everything your not likly to be great at anything. To many different products to many divisonsand most important to many competetors. they are fighting battles on ever side, and a hit has to help a turd, which is slowy bringing the company down. they need reconnect with the consumer make less products that are the best with out being over priced and sell off dead weight. The company does need to go under it just needs to set better goals.  
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Originally posted by Dodece
    Originally posted by hercules Sorry but thats a daft statement.

The PS3s have not sold out in any way shape or form. I can verify this from personal experience, and I have looked into into it many people have reported PS3s in stock. Not only in stock, but not selling. You are seriously misinformed, or are still tainted by the speculator rush. By the way many speculators are returning the PS3s they bought to resell.
    By the way Nintendo has sold over four million units of the Wii, and those are actually being sold as fast as they come in. You can find Wiis on Ebay with a modest markup for resale while a number of PS3s are being sold at considerable discount. I think those scalpers know something you do not. Were there a way to make money off the PS3s they would be doing just that. Just go look for yourself.

Give me a link to stores that proves ps3 is in stock..i'd like to see it, rather then bullshit spewing out of your mouth.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.

there are two stores in Boise, Idaho and one in Nampa, Idaho that have PS3's in stock.

Software Etc - Boise

Electronics Boutique - Boise

Walmart - Nampa

These are just the ones I asked (i was there looking for a Wii)

The manager in Software Etc stated that they had 4 in stock (2 were opened returns). While I was there, I heard a customer object to buying one (a sales associate was trying to talk him into a sale) because of the price. Another chimed in that the PS3 was a POS and knew 3 friends that had returned them because they lock up and arent backward compatible

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Originally posted by admriker4
    there are two stores in Boise, Idaho and one in Nampa, Idaho that have PS3's in stock.
    Software Etc - Boise
    Walmart - Nampa
    The manager in Software Etc stated that they had 4 in stock (2 were opened returns). While I was there, I heard a customer object to buying one (a sales associate was trying to talk him into a sale) because of the price. Another chimed in that the PS3 was a POS and knew 3 friends that had returned them because they lock up and arent backward compatible

Lmao Idaho. Ya I can go into the desert too and find me a ps3, I'm talking about big cities, not back water bullshit.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • LeasaLeasa Member Posts: 449

This format war between Blue ray and HD DVD reminds me of the Beta format (Sony) and VHS format (everyone else).  Back in the day Beta was the first video tape format for consumers, then VHS came out and was cheaper.  Sony insisted that they would win.  Well they did not. 

Seems like history will repeat itself.

Also of interest a lot of people think Sony invented video tape.  Well they did not they bought the rights from Ampex.

Support Bacteria, its the only culture some people have.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    my personal views on the hd-dvd vs blu-ray wars:

Frankly i think its stupid that both of them couldnt come to agreement like they did with DvDs. But in the long haul....while yes hd-dvd has the upper hand now due to technology being cheaper and its already out in full force.... in the long run... i am going to have to go with Blu-ray.

Why? Sheer data capacity. Period. While movies will not utilize the majority of space on a blu-ray or hd-dvd, gaming, software, data storage all will benefit from it. So in the long run...it will be hollywood following the technology sector, nothing more.

There is no real advantage to owning one over the other, other than data storage. their specs are almost identical, they both play the same movie formats, they both have a level of encryption equal to each other, but the storage is what sets it apart, and not for movies, but the others described above

just my 2 cents...personally i am waiting a year before i buy the ps3. FOr the sheer fact to see if blu-ray does take hold, and for final fantasy XIII Razz

right now my pc and ps2 are treating me well Smile

It also seems a possible truce is in the works anyway . NEC is developing a chip that will decrypt both HD DVD and Blu-Ray (nec is a board member of the HDDVD team). so either they are compromising for the benefit of both...or NEC could see something in blu-ray which is forcing their hand. If they do produce this chip, it will give a huge upper hand for blu-ray with their data storage and gaming potential.

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by MX13

Just so you all know, a rumor is circulating that a secondary Auditor has been brought into the picture, and further Federal Tax Evasion charges may occur. Add to that the "prediction" from inside SONY that this next Quater's & FY report announcement will be delayed.
    Those in-the-know know how bad this is. Seriously, I would guess that SONY , and ALL Sub's will begin to see a shake-up, or a MAJOR shareholder / board shake-up will be coming. Look for SONY value to plummet after this Quarter's call....
    What will be funny is when Sony states that in 2Q 07 they will be raising the subscription fee to SWG......

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by HashBrick

Originally posted by Dodece

Give me a link to stores that proves ps3 is in stock..i'd like to see it, rather then bullshit spewing out of your mouth.

Why does anyone have to prove it to you?  I saw 2 in stock yesterday at Best Buy.  However, I could care less if you believe it or not.  The console is a piece of crap.  Read the articles for yourself---there have also been reports of MANY returns for the overheating problem.
  • silentowl87silentowl87 Member Posts: 5

admriker4, I have one question for you : Do you work for Microsoft?

I think this is Bull**** !

To be free, you must throw away your credit cards, and NEVER buy anything that you cannot afford at the moment of purchase.

Originally posted by silentowl87

admriker4, I have one question for you : Do you work for Microsoft?
    I think this is Bull**** !

Well your wrong pal. I provided the links and factual proof. If you choose to disbelieve then your ignorant.

Why be surprised by the failures anyway. Sony has tried many many times in the past to control how we receive our content and have always failed. UMD, mini discs, betamax, and now Bluray so its no surprise to anyone who pays attention.

Facts are facts, hd-dvd is outselling bluray by more than 3-1 margin. You can bet hollywood is taking notice and wont be supporting bluray much longer. And this isnt anything new, various industry sites hav predicted hd-dvd would win and they were correct.

Anyone who followed PS3 development could have forseen trouble for the system. It has long been reported that PS3 had overheating issues. This issue alone would result in delays on launch. And therefore nobody should be surprised after launch to hear that yep the PS3 has overheating issues. Why would Sony allow a defective product to launch anyway ? Well their stock dropped by 3% after the last delay was announced, thats billions of dollars worth of lost stock value to its investors.

SWG only exists now thanks to sony's deep pockets to cover the losses. SWG certainly doesnt have enough subscribers to cover the 10 million dollar licensing fee owed to LucasArts each year. And now that those deep pockets are empty you can bet SWG will soon be shut down.

No, I dont work for Microsoft and dont care for them either. Monopolies always hurt consumers in the end.

Originally posted by HashBrick

Originally posted by admriker4

Software Etc - Boise

Walmart - Nampa

Lmao Idaho. Ya I can go into the desert too and find me a ps3, I'm talking about big cities, not back water bullshit.

Nice ignorant comment. And actually there are roughly 500,000 people in the greater Boise area. But please stay where you live, I like my low cost of living, low crime crate, low pollution, low unemployment, and no traffic.

• IAMTHEGAMEIAMTHEGAME Member Posts: 99

QFT!!

The Game.