Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honestly, can you make the difference?

AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Hiya guys,

I always asked myself a silly question, and I was wondering.

A friend of mine, always says we are germans when we go on a trip or whatever in an english-speaking area.  He is convinced that, english-speakers, will see no difference between a french or a german accent.  Personnally I find this silly, since to me it is obvious, frenchies speak with their lips, while germans speak with their throat.

Anyway, my question is, if YOU are an english speaker and know relatively little of either french or german (aka no more than a class or two in highschool for example), is it hard to actually make the difference?

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Comments

• PunkMonkPunkMonk Member Posts: 483
    I speak English, I'm trying to learn German and my brother sometimes speaks French. They sound nothing alike. French is a romance language and the words just kind of seem to smoothly work together. German sounds like it has rough edges, like your trying to cough up something.

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

They sound nothing like each other to me. French has nasalised vowels which are pretty distinctive and carry over to their manner of speaking English. German doesn't have them. German uses rhotic vowel sounds like Americans do.

Major difference IMHO.

• WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

You forgot the biggest difference!  To speak French you need to have your testicles removed!

I'M JUST KIDDING!!!! 

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

LOL...

I can tell the difference, although my opinion might be biased, my wife is a German citizen. :)

I'm pretty sure most people can tell the difference though because if they couldn't people wouldn't use the saying "Nobody likes the French", they'd be saying "Nobody likes the French or the French sounding Germans." :)

• LostGraceLostGrace Member Posts: 380
    Germans always sound angry. :|

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

There are major differences between the German accent and French accent, one of the biggest differences is that the French accent is much softer in tone then the German accent, there are many other differences but we do not have all day LMAO. To be honest I speak both French German English and others as well. To me from what I have seen most people who have a hard time distinguishing the difference between the accents of two vastly different languages such as German and French are people who are mostly just stupid and or have just lived a very sheltered life cut off from any sort of experience in relation to the world. English and Australian accents can sound similar, but there are differences in them, people who confuse those accents, yes you can understand why they would, but two accents from two languages that are so completely different like German and French is just plan silly. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I am not completely nuts....yet! 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079
    Originally posted by LostGrace

Germans always sound angry. :|
    Unless you are in bed with a German speaking girl, then WOW! Dirty dirty girl...do you kiss your mother with that mouth? Ummmm...sorry remembering a girlfriend I had.  Heheheheheheh.  I like um both, it is a nice change to the spanglish I hear every day. (or even worse, me apeaking Spanish lol)

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.