Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game series has the most titles?

Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
I'm pretty sure many of you would think Final Fantasy off the bat. I think it's Mega Man though. There is over 79+ games already with his name on it. What do you guys think?

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
|
RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

Comments

• dhartzdhartz Member Posts: 482
    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

There is over 79+ games already with his name on it. What do you guys think?
    lies

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461
    Mario possibly. There's heaps of games that have Mario in the name. And there's heaps and heaps of Star Wars and Star Trek games. And the Sims games.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    I only know that Mario starred in over 100 diffrent video games.
  • PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
    Originally posted by Gameloading

I only know that Mario starred in over 100 diffrent video games.
    yeah, either Mario or Zelda.  there are even Zelda games made by amatuers for the PC.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170
    Mario or StarWars

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217

Guild Wars will be in a couple of years time. :)

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by Jackcolt
    StarWars

That's what I was going to say.

Originally posted by Anageth
    Guild Wars will be in a couple of years time. :)

lol. LOOK WE ADDED A NEW SKILL! NOW PAY $50 for IT!

Sorry, I knew that would happen the day GW was released and I knew it was F2P.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    Originally posted by dhartz

lies

Correction, there is over 111+ of mega man titles.

PROOF

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

Originally posted by Jackcolt
    Mario or StarWars

Star Wars has a bunch but I don't think it's a winner...geez, I've played most of those too...

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by dhartz

lies

Correction, there is over 111+ of mega man titles.

PROOF

[/thread]

• MiNaAuMiNaAu Member Posts: 382
    Mario, he stars in games that  arn't even related to him, he someone manages to pop into everything
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Dungeons and dragons has more than a few too.
  • dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by MiNaAu
    Mario, he stars in games that arn't even related to him, he someone manages to pop into everything image

I don't think we can count those toward the Mario count though since we're really talking "game series".. I think the Mega Man one might be the winner in that category.

Originally posted by dsorrent

Mario, he stars in games that arn't even related to him, he someone manages to pop into everything

I don't think we can count those toward the Mario count though since we're really talking "game series".. I think the Mega Man one might be the winner in that category.

Mario has starred in at least 130 games.  heres the linky

that beats Mega Man.

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by PlanoMM

Mario, he stars in games that arn't even related to him, he someone manages to pop into everything

Mario has starred in at least 130 games. heres the linky
    that beats Mega Man.

But what I am saying is, you can't really count half of those. For instance:

# Punch Out!! (Arcade) Mario appears in the audience
    # Pinball (Famicom) Mario is found in the bonus stage

IMO those can't really be classified as part of the Mario series just because he's in the audience and there's a bonus stage of pinball which contains a Mario. If that were the case, then I think the generic NPC Model wins there, I've seen them in just about every game that has NPC's. image

Mario has starred in at least 130 games. heres the linky

that beats Mega Man.

But what I am saying is, you can't really count half of those. For instance:

# Punch Out!! (Arcade) Mario appears in the audience

# Pinball (Famicom) Mario is found in the bonus stage

IMO those can't really be classified as part of the Mario series just because he's in the audience and there's a bonus stage of pinball which contains a Mario. If that were the case, then I think the generic NPC Model wins there, I've seen them in just about every game that has NPC's.

maybe that is true, but the same could be said of the mega man, link and pretty much every icon of gaming.  i still think that Mario wins.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

maybe that is true, but the same could be said of the mega man, link and pretty much every icon of gaming.  i still think that Mario wins.

If you had bothered to read the Wikipedia info on Mega Man, you would have seen that there are over 100 games in the Mega Man Series. That doesn't include any where he was a "bonus" or in the audience. It means 100+ actual games of Mega Man.

• End_of_a_eraEnd_of_a_era Member Posts: 527
    If expansions count then EQ with over 2000 expansions.

imageimage

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Games?

As in ANY official release, like any boardgame included, PnP, and anything else?

D&D has a load of them...I mean...9 gold boxes, Menzo, Eyes, BG, BG coast, BG2, BG: throne, BG (xbox), D&D (Xbox), IWD, IWD2, PS, Birthright, ToEE, Dragonshard, DDO...that is already 24 computer games, off the bat of my memory (didn't count a BG2 for xbox, not a eyes 2, since I am not sure it happens, althought I am almost sure it did), which is a lot more than any designer at Turbines could name, but prolly not even half...you have to consider that they have WIDE VARIETY between games, unlike megaman or FF which are all similar to a very few guidelines, so no diversity.

You have to consider the 5 VARIATIONS to the PnP, each having MANY books that could be considered like games, 11 game worlds fully detailed (or is it more?), boardgames, card games...Not to forget, "basic, expert, companion, master, immortal", I count that as the first variation, but is it a single variation or 5 variations in itself?  Is that 1, 5 or 9 PnP games?  And what about Miniatures?  That is another game?

And then, you might want to consider everyone who copy them, create clones...no offense meant to anyone, but EQ is a child of D&D, Brad even name his next company Sigil (Sigil is a direct link to his deceptions on PoP, as Sigil is the main city in the planes in D&D and how PoP should have been)...EQ is arguably bigger than any single release of D&D, lagging somewhere between GreyHawk and Forgotten Realms as to the importance of Norrath itself now; closer to Greyhawk, still ahead of Greyhawk(definitely ahead of Eberron)...so, would it be fair to discard EQ because it isn't officially is D&D?  Yet, nobody would seriously question that EQ is D&D, heck EQ bring back the uncapped Hit Dices to D&D... everyone remember that in advance you have between 8 and 11 hit dices and that was it, after it was static hps...but, after EQ, D&D come back to hits dices = to levels.  Every race has now the same leveling potential in D&D, which was NEVER the case prior EQ.  Yet, they have either class restrictions or favored classes.  Soo, EQ influences back D&D.  I feel uneasy about putting EQ away from D&D, I mean no it is not D&D, yet it is a good child, a proud child...  EQ also change the THIEF class in D&D, forever.  A thief in classic D&D is the 3rd melee class, in EQ it was the first DPS class.  Now, in D&D, a THIEF is similar to a Priest, kinda closing on the fighter, yet not there and hopefully never getting there, as D&D and EQ doesn't have the same needs, as EQ is combat oriented, which is not necessarily the case of D&D, where the thief as more importance (EQ call thief a rogue however).  See, the links are many, and even if most are COMING from D&D, a few are coming from EQ and going to D&D, especially as to restore discarded good ideas...See, for example, the stats in D&D, they use to follow a relatively regular progression, then in advanced D&D, they become wacky.  After EQ, they return not to a relatively regular progression, but to the most regular possible, which is a direct impact from EQ IMO.  The focus on the dragons as the hard targets, it come from D&D...and pre-PoP EQ is filled with them.

And...do you count FLASH games?  *start shivering*

The D&D franchise is massive, we are not talking about having variations of always the same thing, we are talking about the RPG king exalting in every direction.  See, Megaman for instance is rather restricted, maybe a LOT of variation on the same thing...but any gold box has more content than 5 mega man titles together...and we are barely talking of the gold boxes here...

Yes, I am a fan and in adoration before D&D.  But, honestly, it transcend everything...as soon as it can be considered a gaming activity, D&D is grasping for that type of gaming, wargames, boardgames, PnP, computers, action...heck, I am sure someone could dig a shooter about D&D even if I didn't know it exist!  Just think, 11 games world (and I may forget some, evil cursed me), fully detailed, with MANY support each, we are not talking of a few books each, but a LOT of stuff.  Forgotten Realms itself is amazing, I don't know many person who game that never have a link to FR, knowingly or not.

PS: The 6 persons group come from Bard's Tale I think, but even Bard's Tale was influenced by D&D, and since D&D has to start on computer at some point, it naturally went with the big release of that era, which was Bard's Tale.  The impact of D&D is overwhelming, in a positive way.

PPS: Just naming: Mystara, Hollow Worlds, GreyHawk, Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Birthright, Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer, Eberron, DragonLance....I mean, just naming these 11 WORLDS (if I miss any, I would have to make penitance), it blast my mind away.  Even a world such as Spelljammer, which is 1 of the least developped and least favored, blast away most elaborated worlds created by competitors.  I don't know of any game with Spelljammer beside the PnP roleplaying game, but even that, I am sure it has some childs we just don't know, each of these could rightfully challenge a megaman easily...and then the gold boxes...how can you compare simple games like megaman to gold boxes?  I mean, 1 gold boxes is more content than 5 megaman...and they are but an introduction to D&D!  Even a mighty company such as WhiteWolf always compare itself to D&D, usually indirectly, but still unquestionnably targetting D&D.  The Tremere...well, I  don't want to aggravated my fellow friends at WW or peoples enjoying the Tremeres...hehe.

PPPS: And, if you count every release of a Mega Man, I assume that Flash Games count?  Then SpongeBob beats Mega Man (quite easily might I add, with all other promotional stuff they release on SB)?  Where can someone say, this type of game count, and this doesnt?  Flash games are not much less developped than Mega Man...at least some of them.

PPPPS: D&D games tend to be massive, each one of them.  DDO is in fact 1 of the smallest...and it is a MMO!  And damn me, I forget the Neverwinter Night and Neverwinter Night 2, the 3 expansions which are rightfully games on their own if you consider each Mega Man title a game on it owns...NWN alone prolly outmatch MOST titles of Megaman all put together, content-wise.  I mean, comparing Mega Man would be like stating that EvE is the biggest MMO on the market...well, infinite amount of empty space is certainly bigger than filled content.  Hehe.  Even comparing anything to D&D is funny, as the person comparing obviously failed to see the size, the scope of D&D.  Heck, just COPYING the rules for all the D&D games would prolly take an awfull amount of time...this would be insane, as to the amount of work involved.  D&D is not big, it is not the biggest, D&D is, period.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren