Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WASD or click? (poll included)

2»

Comments

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Using arrow keys to move and mouse for camera just seems more "intuitive", to me.

I have played games with mouse to move, it took some getting used to but it was playable.  Now on a FPS I usually prefer WASD for moving and my mouse for pointing & shooting.  An online game I usually have hotkeys set to numbers so I used left hand for them and use the right for arrow keys.  Just feels more natural to my way of playing I guess.

• HejietHejiet Member Posts: 49

I think it's all depending of the game. some games are more suited with Point&Click, and others with WASD.

I think for a PvP game, I'd rather have WASD, that way you get a better feeling on your toon, than with Point&Click. (My opinion.)

Also to quote Gameloading. I think you can still reach a fair amount of keys if you can customize your own settings.

For example, play WoW and GW atm. (Waiting for AoC to come out.) And I use scroll up and down for skills, as well as 2 side buttons on my mouse, makes 4.

I also use 1 to 5 above WASD, and aslo Q E Z X C F G for extra skills. So that gives me 16 skills total. Without having to move my fingers more than 1 key away from it's original position.

I wouldn't consider WASD to be "better", but it's better for me anyway and I think alot of people. As long as there is a autorun, I'm happy. Also point&click in pvping isn't has great as WASD I think, WASD gives you much more movement options than P&C when you just click on the target and attack it. If you need to get behind..? GL.

Hej

• Dem3triusDem3trius Member UncommonPosts: 20

ESDF is a far superior keyset

It has more keys around it for you to use for skills and such

AND

It is where you hand is already for typing.

• HejietHejiet Member Posts: 49
    True, but I think it makes the use of Tab, CapLock and Shift + CTRL a little bit harder to use, and beside, you only need to move your index from D to F to go back into "typing mode".
  • JizhakJizhak Member Posts: 47
    I have skipped games that were based on click-moving. I just hate it.

Of course games should allow you to play the style you want. Even if it's clickety-click style.
  • ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

WASD is a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that your movement controls are well within reach. A curse in that it focuses on the first person perspective. So, if you like first person perspective, WASD is the way to go, but if you're going third person or bird's eye with your camera a combination of mouse click and movement keys are absolutely necessary.

Just my opinion. :)

-- Bridget

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    I don't like pure clicking, but I love WASD. If a mmo has both click and WASD then it's great for me. Even though I like WASD there are times where i just want to set a click in the distance and have my character walk over the while I do somthing else.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• AranStormahAranStormah Member Posts: 278
    Mouseclicking. I guess I'm just oldschool, but I play rpgs for the relaxed pace and like to sit back and do everything with the mouse. Diablo kinda required hotkeys for potions when things got tough though :P but Baldurs Gate and such was very forgiving.

I think wasd fits more for platformers and adventure games like Beyond Good and Evil or when you're actually in first person. DAoC just had wasd, but you could mostly sit back and play by mouselook and autorun while using /stick for combat.
  • RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638
    I didn't vote because I prefer a little of both and I like games that give you the option to set up your own keymap.
  • pompey606pompey606 Member UncommonPosts: 439
    the point-click of rappelz drove me away from it

• lorechaserlorechaser Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by Dem3trius

ESDF is a far superior keyset
    It has more keys around it for you to use for skills and such
    AND
    It is where you hand is already for typing.

How could this never have occured to me?

Seriously.

I feel like the first caveman when someone said "Um, you know, Thog, putting food *over* the fire is better than in it.  It tastes better too."

I even use a Nostromo, which exactly simulates esdf by putting another row beside your keys.  The stretch to Tab/Caps/Shift isn't particularly worse than it would be normally.

I think you're my new hero.

Who am I?
    @Lorechaser on CoH
    Badjuju, Splinterhoof, Plainsrunner on WoW (Moonrunner)
    Shyy'rissk on SWG (Flurry)
    ClockworkSoldier, HE Pierce, Letnev on Planetside
    Gyshe, Crucible, Terrakal on DDO
    And many more.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    It could be the best game in the world, if it's point and click i'm never going to play it.
  • Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

WASD is horrible for left handers. Remapping the keys to the num pad is a lot easier or getting a Fang keyboard.

Mouse clicking problems I've had is when I am in combat and accidently click past my target and move or when I'm just running about and click something I didn't want to aggro.

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• 321abcde321abcde Member Posts: 34
    My god, didnt expect this many posts o_o

And by WASD, people, i meant WASD + using mouse to adjuest camera angles.

WASD without the mouse is used for like, birds eye veiw games only, i think.

Course, I'm not the most well informed person.

But thank you for the feedback.

I cannot hear you over the SHUT THE FUCK UP!

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Well this really isnt a suprise to me.........

It seems that more than 9 out of ten people prefer WASD to click movement. I hope that percentage starts to take hold in all of these low budget asian clickfest games they keep putting on the market labled as MMORPGs. Nothing is more upsetting than being forced to use a certain control scheme when they could have allowed the player to customize their own.

im not saying get rid of point and click. I just want to have the option to choose WASD as well.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• PwndStarPwndStar Member Posts: 111
    I prefer WSAD movement. I wish some some of the asian made MMOs would adopt it.

----------
    currentlyplaying:
    age of conan

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I prefer keyboard controlled movement, but for a RPG type game, it doesn't matter that much. I can still get into it, if I have to point and click. What I really prefer is WASD + full-featured view-bobbing 1st person perspective - but obviously I have to let it go. Just isn't how devs want to make MMORPGs these days.

As long as games like UT2007 don't start using point and click control, I won't cry about it too much...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I would love to see who would actually win PvP wise on a game like WoW between one that uses point&click and the other WASD. However, the outcome is clear, WASD wins.