Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2006 Reader's Choice Award Results

Comments

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by Lukane77

Funny how most of the player written reviews say how boring EVE is.
    Yet those few die hards keep trying to hack the voting in an effort to prove how awsome they are......again.
    Kind of reminds me of the earlier days of SWG, when everyone would sit in a cantina with nothing to do and talk about how awsome the game was and how World of Warcraft will never make it.
    Sorry to all the EVE fanbois.  I'm still not going to play your game.

What you forget is that you among others like to spam with alt accounts in that section saying eve is boring so dont act suprised in tis.

On the main topic tho i laugh that eve did so well just shows more peoplle came here and voted for eve than for any of the other so called communities.

• oglemoglem Member Posts: 20
    Hi all,

The WOW / EQ2 fanboi's can all go cry me a river.

Commited Eve Community vs Crack heads...

And the winner is: Commited Eve Community

Blah blah blah your game sucks.

P.S. Write me, m'okay!

Oglem
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Well the EVE developer ppl put it on their website to go vote here... I said stuff about the voting on lineage2 forums and it got deleted by mods lol .

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Results are pretty much as I expected.  Since this was mentioned on the EVE forums of course the fans of EVE came here to vote.  I don't remember seeing anything on any other game websites about "vote at mmorpg.com".  Not to mention the polls themselves were a bit skewed as a game I wanted to vote for wasn't listed at each category.

Anyhoo, grats to EVE I guess. 

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    I'd like to take a second to reply here.

I just wanted to remind everyone that there was a nomination round of voting in which members were able to vote for virtually any game on our list, in any category. The criteria to make it through nominations and onto the final ballot were that the game had to get at least 10% of the nomination vote. As it turned out, in a bunch of categories, it was just WoW and EVE that met the criteria. At that point, we were unable to change the rules (can't change it half way through).

Next year, we will look at re-vamping the system into something different.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• Dark_ShikariDark_Shikari Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Lukane77

Funny how most of the player written reviews say how boring EVE is.
    Yet those few die hards keep trying to hack the voting in an effort to prove how awsome they are......again.
    Kind of reminds me of the earlier days of SWG, when everyone would sit in a cantina with nothing to do and talk about how awsome the game was and how World of Warcraft will never make it.
    Sorry to all the EVE fanbois.  I'm still not going to play your game.
    "A few die hards?"

Keep telling yourself that.

Clearly, the vast majority of WoWers care so little about the game they play that they couldn't even win best PvE.

Yet EVE Online has a hundred thousand dedicated players who will come out and vote because they actually think their game is worth playing.

And if you can convince yourself that World of Warcraft, probably the most repetitive MMORPG I've ever seen in my life (outside Maple Story, Runescape, and that genre of "free" MMORPGs), is not "boring"... well... I don't know what to tell you.  Get a life and stop being a Blizzard tool/WoW-fanboy, maybe?

P.S. I'm not an "EVE fanboy" either--I can name a good number of other MMORPGs that I would also prefer to WoW
  • TeleboasTeleboas Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Teleboas

Like everyone didn't see those results coming...
    Of course, every other game company doesn't really care who MMORPG.com votes for, so how is this suprising?  Eve was the only company I seen where the actual game posted on their website for everyone to come vote.

Sorry, but all most all the others games in this had it on the front page of there website.

Eve Did, Ryzom Did, wow had a large number of postings on the forums (User made)... If you look, most of the games rallied to the cause.

Sorry, but learn what "Almost all" means.  Out of the games you listed, we get :

Eve first.

No one plays Ryzom

WoW second.

Honestly, I think EQ2 should of won best PvE.  Of course though, it had no chance since Sony didn't post it on their homepage.

Like I said, new accounts shouldn't be counted, and an account should have to be active within 30 days.  It should be based on the fanbase that come to MMORPG, not for people to make one time accounts to come and vote.

Originally posted by Triple_Black

I always find it amusing to those who come on here and knock the results.  If your game didn't win, its because you as the players either don't care about voting or don't care to motivate others to come and vote.  Eve players care about their game and do in the last two years by coming out to vote. 
    Eve players came and voted, it simple, don't cry about why your game didn't win.
    Actually, I believe WoW/EQ2 removed threads that were placed on their forums.
  • glenmarkglenmark Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Dark_Shikari

Yet EVE Online has a hundred thousand dedicated players who will come out and vote because they actually think their game is worth playing.

Ehrm, in best graphic category Eve there were in total 4983 votes, Eve received 61% of these, i.e less than 3100 votes.

People who vote for Eve as their favorite graphics game probably votes for Eve in all other categories as well.

This is not a poll containing scientific result, this is a poll where a direct link from a forum containing around 5-6000 players easily turn things around.

Especially if you like that game.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Well I think the 10% criteria should of been removed.  Would be interesting to see how all votes broke down and not just for EVE and WoW.

Plus I've also heard from friends and read that other official forums would remove links to mmorpg.com since they have "buygold.com" ads.  So in a way mmorpg.com shot these Awards in the foot from the start.

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432
    It's a popularity contest, that's all.  At least with reader's choice awards on other sites, it only has to do with games that came out that year.  These people voting for eve, they voting because Eve was nominated.  If there was award for Quest design and Eve is nominated, they would win that too.  These people don't vote for the merit of the award, they vote for the game.  I agree that there should be a rule that you can't vote if your profile isn't at least 30 days old.  How valid are the results if you got a mass number of people creating accounts just to vote for a game (it's the same story with the rankings which is why they are a joke as well).  CCP asked it's users to vote for the game on it's website.  You think Blizzard is going to waste webspace to do that.  Why do they care?  They already have 7+ million subscribers and making money hand over fist.  Who cares what awards some fansite is having.  They already have won the major awards from the big gaming websites (Game of the year). 

Good for CCP and Eve for having a dedicated fanbase, but anyone who believes that this poll represents the MMORPG player base as a whole are kidding themselves.

It's a shame EQ2 didn't get more attention, that game was obviously the most improved game of the year. 
  • TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

That's what Reader's Choice Awards are - which games are most popular for X catagory? This isn't a scientifc evaluation, it's an evaluation of the votes recieved from the people who use the website.

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• GunnyFisherGunnyFisher Member Posts: 65
    first off, from eve forums.

Posted - 2006.12.29 17:21:00 - [50] - Quote

Keep in mind what this means:

- A game that is 70x our size could not win due to our fanboism and motivation.

- We took them out at their home turf of PvE.

- They were all pretty busy enjoying "quiet time" with their night elves rather than voting Very Happy

Owned.

second:

to all the alt posters with 1 post who complain about eve rigging the voting....

Have faith in God, believe in antimatter.

• GunnyFisherGunnyFisher Member Posts: 65
    there were a lot more nominated.

Have faith in God, believe in antimatter.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

EVE Online Wins!!

Why are the kids upset about this?  The counter complaints remind me of elementary school ground debates if Batman can beat up Spiderman that end up with one kid crying 'cs no one else likes Donald Duck; Buggs Bunny for the win!!

PvE in EVE is good.  The problem here is that so much of it is built around PvP that you can play EVE for years and never experiance what most consider the PvE elements in the game.  I've been playing since the "new game experiance" in Star Wars Galaxies (little more then a year) and had just recently, as in less then 2 weeks ago, started running missions in EVE.  I am enjoying the PvE in EVE more then I ever thought possible and am excited about the futore factional warfare that's been delayed to ensure its perfection.

EVE's environment is fused together.  Even when you're taking part in a PvE experiance you're still involved in PvP in some way, and vice versa. 

The COSMOS missions add a nice flare to the storyline while building upon the theme of the game.  Complexes are by far some of the most challenging environments in game.  Minning is painfully boring in my opinion even though thousands of players love it.  More importantly, the players contribute to the environment and provide for an experiance that can be said to be elemental.

PvE in EVE is good.  It's not great.  But it's good. 

Star Wars Galaxies used to have great PvE back in the day when the game had meaning and purpose that rewarded risks and venture.  World of Warcraft seems very stale and static in the same terms of what's become of SWG.  Everquest2 felt so terribly generic when I had played it that I'd rate it lower then WoW if given the option.

EVE rewards those who play games for a community.  Being it's played on a single world gaming server, or "shard", the player recieves the opportunity to fullfil their own goals while being acountable for their actions.  It works beautifuly while bringing the community together, even when they're at each other's throats!

Traveling "great distances" is so easily adverted that traveling is a choice more then a necessity.  Playing a game that puts me on the same level as everyone else, even though I play only a couple hours a session, is a reward to the casual gamer. 

Sure the player who's been around 2 years longer might have more "skill points" then me.  But players are only able to utilize a small portion of their total skill points when there's an element of PvP involved.  This means the arguement of "not being able to catch up" is totally moot. 

Does this mean the game is perfect?  No.  But it's perfect for me and my likes.  :)

EVE Onilne Wins!!

Originally posted by GunnyFisher

- They were all pretty busy enjoying "quiet time" with their night elves rather than voting Very Happy

Owned.

second:

to all the alt posters with 1 post who complain about eve rigging the voting....

Well, if EvE thinks that it helps promote their game, they're wrong.

I'll never try EvE.  Why?  Because any game that has to basically beg it's playerbase to come vote for something like this, can't be all that great of a game.

If the game is that good, people will vote for it without being asked to.

And to the MMORPG Staff Writer there.   If you want a fair voting, where people can post on EVERY forum to get votes, remove your damn gold selling ads.

Owned.

second:

I'll never try EvE.  Why?  Because any game that has to basically beg it's playerbase to come vote for something like this, can't be all that great of a game.

And to the MMORPG Staff Writer there.   If you want a fair voting, where people can post on EVERY forum to get votes, remove your damn gold selling ads.

You know that a player posted the original "vote for EVE" thread, and that a moderator (volunteer, not paid by CCP) stickied it, right?

CCP didn't "beg" anyone.

Its quite clear that you would not even try EVE regardless of whether EVE won these awards or not, so I don't think CCP has to worry about "not promoting their game" to you.  Especially as EVE is the best-selling independantly-developed MMORPG of all time, I don't think you're one to tell them how to promote their games.

Owned.

second:

You know that a player posted the original "vote for EVE" thread, and that a moderator (volunteer, not paid by CCP) stickied it, right?

CCP didn't "beg" anyone.

Its quite clear that you would not even try EVE regardless of whether EVE won these awards or not, so I don't think CCP has to worry about "not promoting their game" to you.  Especially as EVE is the best-selling independantly-developed MMORPG of all time, I don't think you're one to tell them how to promote their games.

But, Eve left it up.  I'm guessing EvE allows farming and gold selling sites.  If not, any game that would post a link to a silly little vote like this, and risk people buying/selling gold at those sites, don't care about their game all that much.

Owned.

second:

CCP didn't "beg" anyone.

But, Eve left it up.  I'm guessing EvE allows farming and gold selling sites.  If not, any game that would post a link to a silly little vote like this, and risk people buying/selling gold at those sites, don't care about their game all that much. Actually, EVE has a very strict policy against those sites.  They've stopped linking to fansites that have gold-selling ads, and linking to a gold-selling site on the forums can get you a perma-ban.  In addition, if you are caught buying or selling, you also get an instant perma-ban to all your accounts.

Just a note: You can technically link to a gold-selling site as long as they're not promoting ISK sales.  So for example I could go linking to a WoW gold-selling site, of course.

Owned.

second:

CCP didn't "beg" anyone.

But, Eve left it up.  I'm guessing EvE allows farming and gold selling sites.  If not, any game that would post a link to a silly little vote like this, and risk people buying/selling gold at those sites, don't care about their game all that much.Actually, EVE has a very strict policy against those sites.  They've stopped linking to fansites that have gold-selling ads, and linking to a gold-selling site on the forums can get you a perma-ban.  In addition, if you are caught buying or selling, you also get an instant perma-ban to all your accounts.

They stopped linking to fansites that have ads, yet they left up this one that had the voting?

Seems to me EvE has this "strict policy" just to try to make themselves look good.  When it comes down to it, they ignore their own rules to get a little publicity.  Nice.

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I'd be interested in the voting results if it were limited to accounts that were created more than a month ago and had more than 10 posts to the forums, i.e., real mmorpg users, not just players that only came here to vote becuase they were asked to.  Obviously, if WoW had posted a message to come vote on their home web page, WoW would have won in every category that it qualified for because it has more subscribers than all the other games put together.

PS. i used to play WoW, but got tired of it and have moved on.  I just wish there was an MMO version of Oblivion...

They stopped linking to fansites that have ads, yet they left up this one that had the voting?
    Seems to me EvE has this "strict policy" just to try to make themselves look good.  When it comes down to it, they ignore their own rules to get a little publicity.  Nice.
    What do you mean?  I don't see any ISK-selling ads.

If I turn off Flashblock, I see one WoW gold-selling ad.

If MMORPG.com had "BUY CHEAP ISK FROM CHINESE MACRO MINER" ads plastered all over it, CCP would probably not link to it, no.
  • tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432
    Maybe the problem with Eve pve is there is no personality to it.  At least when I go on a quest in WoW, I might get the NPC to do some sort of behavior or perhaps there's a script that kicks off when you complete a certain part of a quest.   Does Eve have those kind of dynamic quests?  When I go into an instance in WoW, there's a ton of scripted encounters that can happen.  Does Eve have this kind of gameplay.  I'm not saying WoW is the end all of PvE but when you're comparing the type of PvE gameplay, I find it hard to believe that Eve PvE is so great (not even to just WoW, but to other games like EQ2).

What do you mean?  I don't see any ISK-selling ads.

If I turn off Flashblock, I see one WoW gold-selling ad.

If MMORPG.com had "BUY CHEAP ISK FROM CHINESE MACRO MINER" ads plastered all over it, CCP would probably not link to it, no.

Nice try.  Just because it has a picture of WOW characters on the banner, doesn't mean it doesn't sell EvE currency.

Clicking on the link clearly shows that they do.  Of course a banner is going to show WoW pics.  It is the MMO with the largest playerbase.

Also, you can't say they have a "strict policy" against it one second, then the next second say that a site has to have plastered all over it "BUY CHEAP ISK NOW!" all over it not to qualify.

Originally posted by tanoril

Maybe the problem with Eve pve is there is no personality to it.  At least when I go on a quest in WoW, I might get the NPC to do some sort of behavior or perhaps there's a script that kicks off when you complete a certain part of a quest.   Does Eve have those kind of dynamic quests?  When I go into an instance in WoW, there's a ton of scripted encounters that can happen.  Does have have this kind of gameplay.  I'm not saying WoW is the end all of PvE but when you're comparing the type of PvE gameplay, I find it hard to believe that Eve PvE is so great (not even to just WoW, but to other games like EQ2).
    In terms of basic missions (EVE's equivalent of quests), they're no different from WoW: scripted, with various events, but they're the same every time someone does them.

In terms of the raids ("complexes"), EVE's are better IMO because you don't have to have a specific number of people all set up just right so that you can take them on.  They're more variable.

Exploration, the new Revelations feature that added the ability to find totally random encounters of all sorts, is what really put EVE over WoW in my mind.