Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2006 Reader's Choice Award Results

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

After over a month and two rounds of voting, the results are in. This year saw a pitched battle between CCP's EVE Online and World of Warcraft in a number of categories as more than 60,000 votes were cast in the nomination and final voting rounds.

Based on your votes, we released the names of the winners in each category. Each of the nominees represented one of the top vote getters in the preliminary round of voting. To qualify, a game must have received over 10% of the nomination vote.

The categories are:

Special thanks go out to everyone who participated in both rounds of this year's voting!

You can read the Awards here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• TeleboasTeleboas Member UncommonPosts: 184

Like everyone didn't see those results coming...

Of course, every other game company doesn't really care who MMORPG.com votes for, so how is this suprising?  Eve was the only company I seen where the actual game posted on their website for everyone to come vote.

I don't see who would take this seriously anyways.

Why not make it next year where new accounts don't count towards the votes, and that an account had to be active within atleast the last 30 days to vote.  Honestly though, I'm sure you enjoy the tons of throw away accounts that are created.  Just makes your site look like it gets more hits. 

• DrachiiDrachii Member Posts: 9
    We fucking pwn.
  • EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949
    Originally posted by Teleboas

Of course, every other game company doesn't really care who MMORPG.com votes for, so how is this suprising?  Eve was the only company I seen where the actual game posted on their website for everyone to come vote.
    I don't see who would take this seriously anyways.
    Why not make it next year where new accounts don't count towards the votes, and that an account had to be active within atleast the last 30 days to vote.  Honestly though, I'm sure you enjoy the tons of throw away accounts that are created.  Just makes your site look like it gets more hits. 
    I agree, things like that really screw up a poll such as this.
  • GianaGiana Member Posts: 26
    Lmao
  • PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646
    Eve winning the best PVE award. Hmm something is wrong here...
  • Dark_ShikariDark_Shikari Member Posts: 18
    Well this is pretty obvious.

There are a few reasons why this happened:

1.  MMORPG.com got tons of nominations, but only nominated WoW and EVE.  Why?  I don't know, but its stupid as heck.

2.  WoW sucks.  Nobody playing WoW cares enough about the game to bother voting for it.  And most WoWers know that the PvE sucks, so it didn't even win that.

Therefore, EVE won.

Please, MMORPG.com, let a few other games get nominated next time, at least to make it appear as if there was a fair poll
    Originally posted by Phoenixs

Eve winning the best PVE award. Hmm something is wrong here...
    Well the answer to that is pretty simple:

1.  The latest expansion added a huge amount of PvE content, and by extending the voting past the expansion, MMORPG let that expansion affect the votes.

2.  WoW PvE sucks.  Since MMORPG.com refused to nominate a non-EVE game with better PvE in addition to WoW, EVE won by default.
    Also, as far as I know, the EVE forum post and news article on the topic did not affect the vote, as from what I heard they had to dump all the votes after a certain date and restart due to technical issues.

By the time the restart came, the news article was off the front page and the thread on the topic in the EVE Online forums was unstickied and a few dozen pages back.

I think the meaning of this is quite simply that either WoW sucks donkey balls (it does), or that the only people who are playing WoW don't care enough to vote.
  • DrachiiDrachii Member Posts: 9
    Bugger, I forgot to write IBDS ¬_¬
  • MordithMordith Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Haha. Nice sampling of the gaming community.
  • Shanks123Shanks123 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    lol people for eve proly joined the site just to vote. But you know thats a comited player base imo they like there game and theyw ant people to kno it. Even tho im getting sick of it all : /

p.s. this site needs like an editers choice awards because readers choices are always limited to the readers fav games

I'm Here. I'm Awesome. Get Used To It.

Originally posted by Drachii

Bugger, I forgot to write IBDS ¬_¬

P.S. If I haven't said it enough already, PLEASE ADD MORE GAMES TO THE VOTE NEXT TIME, and SHOW 1ST/2ND/3RD/4TH/ETC PLACE so that even if one game sweeps the vote, all the other votes are still meaningful.
  • TeleboasTeleboas Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I believe the technical issues they had happened way after the voting happened.
    EOriginally posted by Shanks123

lol people for eve proly joined the site just to vote. But you know thats a comited player base imo they like there game and theyw ant people to kno it. Even tho im getting sick of it all : /

p.s. this site needs like an editers choice awards because readers choices are always limited to the readers fav games
    Editor's choice awards merely are a measure of what games the editor plays, not which one is best.
  • UploadUpload Member Posts: 679

EEEEEEEEEEK!! EVE fanboi invasion. I agree that EVE Online is a decent game, but in NO way I can agree with the results. ''Best PvE: EVE Online (huh?)''

Although, we should not take this Choice Award too seriously. It is only based on fanboi votes.

Originally posted by sven101

EEEEEEEEEEK!! EVE fanboi invasion. I agree that EVE Online is a decent game, but in NO way I can agree with the results. ''Best PvE: EVE Online (huh?)''
    Although, we should not take this Choice Award too seriously. It is only based on fanboi votes.
    What happened was that MMORPG.com turned it into WoW vs EVE.

The vote *actually* said that "EVE PvE is better than WoW PvE", which is probably true.  It did not say that EVE PvE was the best, because no other games were in the voting
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by sven101

Well when you're only other choice is to vote for "World of FedEXCraft", EVE wins by default.

I'm an self-professed EVE fanatic and I voted for EQ2 in the nominations because the sheer variety of different PVE in that game (and quality of it) dwarfs both EVE and WoW. But it didn't make it past the first stage. I'm glad that EVE won it though because the last thing WoW deserves is an award for mediocrity.
  • wlvnspectrewlvnspectre Member Posts: 96
    No it couldn't be that alot of EVE players like to use MMORPG for both EVE and MMO news pushed their emails...

Eve isn't for everybody, but we who like it, like it alot.

Cheers!
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Teleboas

Sorry, but all most all the others games in this had it on the front page of there website.

Eve Did, Ryzom Did, wow had a large number of postings on the forums (User made)... If you look, most of the games rallied to the cause.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395

don't get me wrong, im not a eve fanboi, i have played it for quite some time, but i cast my vote for wow on this "best pve"

What i do know is the fact that EVE is a very solid pvp game, some say the best around.

But what i do know aswell, since i have played eve-online, that there are a LOT, and i mean a REAL LOT who immensly enjoy the pve eve-online brings. its traderoutes, mining, pirate hunting, scouting belts, crafting ships etc etc.

Many people like that, and its safe to say more people playing eve-online are geared towards 0.5 > and will never set a foot in low-sec space.

myself, i would have voted EQ2 if the option was there, but it wasnt ;(

• MidavegMidaveg Member Posts: 296

I feel happy as EvE Online won most of the category but for PvE its out of the bedtime story.. I voted for EQ2 and turns out the EvE Online got it! *fainted* i disagree on that result.

All canceled. Waiting on Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning.

• tehsaintetehsainte Member Posts: 5
    tbh - such awards (or maybe all awards) are for entertainment purposes.

if some people now hear of a certain game because it won such a voted award and they try it out and enjoy it. what's wrong with it? if they don't enjoy it - they gave it atleast a try.

if they fell for the assumption that readers choice awards are NOT fan-boy contests, hopefully they know it now.

does this award change something on the game itself? or the gaming experience? either of a game that won, was nominee in the final round or didn't even got nominated?

if people think now that "their" game sucks because it didn't won such an award though they enjoy playing it - they seem to play it for the wrong reason. the same goes for the people who think now: "our" game won - it is uber.  don't play games because it has a "won this and this award then and then"-sticker on the box, play them because you enjoy them.

as i said - awards are for entertainment purposes. it's for the thrill of the audience - it's for the "will my favorite win?" - no matter if it's a reader's choice or a editor's choice award.

and not to forget - most if not all awards don't celebrate those who won the award, they celebrate those who "sponsor" it. does it matter that EVE online "won" this year? does it matter that WoW "lost" this year? imho not - the only thing that really matters is - was mmorpg.com able to entertain its community? did you spend time because of this award on the webpage, the forums? was the url of the page spread because of the award?

so don't take this (and every other) award to serious - it's entertainment. you can't value entertainment in right and wrong - only in entertaining or not.
  • Lukane77Lukane77 Member Posts: 32

Funny how most of the player written reviews say how boring EVE is.

Yet those few die hards keep trying to hack the voting in an effort to prove how awsome they are......again.

Kind of reminds me of the earlier days of SWG, when everyone would sit in a cantina with nothing to do and talk about how awsome the game was and how World of Warcraft will never make it.

Sorry to all the EVE fanbois.  I'm still not going to play your game.

Favorite mmorpg's:
    SWG
    WoW

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Of course EvE won. The people over at CCP asked their playerbase to vote for their game on the main website and even on the forums and not to mention the game itself is so boring that they usually alt+tab out doing something else when doing long distance travelling, in this case vote or flame non-EvE fanbois.

Edit: If Blizzard asked their playerbase to vote, it's pretty obvious who would actually win.
  • Triple_BlackTriple_Black Member Posts: 39

I always find it amusing to those who come on here and knock the results.  If your game didn't win, its because you as the players either don't care about voting or don't care to motivate others to come and vote.  Eve players care about their game and do in the last two years by coming out to vote. 

Eve players came and voted, it simple, don't cry about why your game didn't win.