Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light: Play D&L to Level 10 For Free

Farlan Entertainment allows players to access Dark & Light for free up to level ten.

PORT LOUIS, MAURITIUS ---- December 28, 2006 - Farlan Entertainment, publisher of Dark and Light™ MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), today announced that in order to allow even more players to experience the uniquely immersive world of Dark and Light gaming, all Dark and Light forum members can now access the game for free. This is the perfect time for forum members who already enjoy gaming in the Dark and Light universe to invite their friends to try out this engaging MMORPG. They will be able to play the game with no limitations up to level 10. After reaching level 10, they can continue to play as long as they want, but they won't gain more (craft/combat/social) experience points (XP).

Discover the first unique MMORPG world. All Dark and Light players are within the same seamless medieval world of 40,000 square kilometers (15,000 square miles) of land (not including seas), the biggest gameworld ever created! Massive numbers of fortresses and cities populate the thirteen kingdoms of Ganareth, a land locked in an epic battle for control between the Dark and Light factions. Wherever you are in the huge world of DnL, you can call or be asked for help to conquer, fight, or defend. Teleporting points are found in key locations (near villages and places of interests) for fast transport, or players can fly through the air without restrictions with their own dragon, glider, or parachute. The game has two starting zones--one for the Darks, one for the Lights--so all the players are gathered as they start the game.

Dark and Light provides an unprecedented immersive environment, with original ambiances, such as ice, crystals, volcanoes, or elvish forests; sounds and music that vary depending on the location, the type of transportation and fights, etc.; a horizon view up to a distance of 30 miles; and dynamic and unique weather management.

At the Gameplays link on the Dark and Light homepage (http://www.darkandlight.com/), players will find a set of guides to playing DnL. These guides offer easy entrance to the game for those who have just discovered the unique world of DnL, as well as useful information for the experienced and well-informed player. The user guide page is constantly expanding to include information that will inform players in their journey through Ganareth. Though not intended as a full strategy guide, they are a good starting point for information about how to play and manage the progression axes, along with fort management, crafting, and exploiting basics, information about the Dark and Light skill tree, and more.

Read more here.

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Next time, mention some "little" facts such as the sign-up screen is setup to cause one to believe they need to give their credit card and subscribe. This is the first "news" I've seen posted here that I have to ask "What the hell were you thinking?".
  • I really have to agree, for what is supposed to be a news site the title is pretty misleading. Who made the title for this articale a staff writer or someone working for the games marketing department. It is a standard trial, eve, wow, and even sony games offrt them. Yet I never see a articale titled "EVE: Free to play" or "Everquest 2 is now free for players"

Edit: By the way I think its pretty cool that mmorpg.com gave the articale a new title line, one that better describes what is being offered. Most news sites post a articale and forget about it, its nice to see one that follows it and revises if needed.

• Good_SirGood_Sir Member Posts: 17
    yeah lol, sure its free......until level 10 .....
  • maxpfaffmaxpfaff Member Posts: 42
    the game still is total crap
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Let me guess, it's free but you still need to give your credit card number ?   If that so, no thanks.  After the horror stories i heard here.  However if it's REALLY free, i might give it a try.   So, you need a valide credit card or not ?
  • maxpfaffmaxpfaff Member Posts: 42

no you dont

register a forum account

and download the game

use forum account as login data

but trust me ITS A WASTE OF TIME !!!!!!!!

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    The "news" is misleading.  The game is not free now, this is just a FREE TRIAL!  It's similar to the trial Ryzom had where you could play the game "as long as you wanted", but you couldn't leave the newbie island.  Same deal.  They just want to find a way to sucker anyone into this game they can...  Doubt it will work though.
  • pinkdaisypinkdaisy Member CommonPosts: 361

Imagine an MMO where you could create and account for free, but couldn't level up or couldn't leave the starter area.  In order to gain levels or explore the world, you would then be required to submit your credit card info and pay a monthly fee.

Would we call that game "free"?  No, we would say there's a "free trial".  If free trial = free game then there's a bunch of games here on MMORPG.com that needs to be changed.

Please change the news title include the word "trial" so it's not misleading.

~PD

www.TheChippedDagger.com My 90-day 2D Java MMORPG project

They that can give up essential liberty for temporary safetey deserve neither. -- Ben Franklin
    If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. -- Milton Berle

• anaicanaic Member Posts: 409

Though not intended as a full strategy guide, they are a good starting point for information about how to play and manage the progression axes, along with fort management, crafting, and exploiting basics

I'm suprised no one has brought up that part yet.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Furthermore, please remember that there is no "cancel account" function in DnL.  Once you subscribe, the only way to "leave" is to send a help ticket to support.  Guess how fast they are at answering that help ticket??  Hahahaha.  You cannot leave DnL. 

DnL is not a game, it is a financial scam. 

• Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by anaic
    Though not intended as a full strategy guide, they are a good starting point for information about how to play and manage the progression axes, along with fort management, crafting, and exploiting basics

I'm suprised no one has brought up that part yet.

People who have played the game or at least have been around their forums know that the developers and people running the PR for the game don't have the greatest grasp of the English language...that's why it wasn't brought up. "Exploiting Basics" in that game is something different than what most people in the MMO world think it is. I can't remember what they called "exploiting" but I know it wasn't traditional MMO Exploiting.

As for whether or not this article is truthful. I received several emails regarding this change in policy because I still have a forum account and I still own a Pioneer Account (I do not play, and I never subscribed, but I also revoked the permission for them to charge me). In those emails the gist of what they were trying to say was that the game was free to play...but once you reach level 10...you have to pay the subscription fee if you want to progress any further in the game. So essentially you can continue to play for free as long as you like, you will just not progress beyond the 10th level. A trial traditionally ends after a period of time or at a certain point in the character's progression. From what I can gather from the emails, the player's access to the game does not end when they reach level 10...they simply stop progressing in the game, though they can still play. Because the ability to access the game never stops...it is not a trial, and thus the headline is accurate. If people would take the time to read the entire news article (or at least the first paragraph of the press release), they would know the details of the free access. Perhaps the title of the article should be changed to something like "Dark and Light : D&L Now Free For Forum Members (with conditions)", so people would know to read the press release.

I haven't attempted to log back into the game, and I don't particularly care to, I'm happy with Guild Wars and City of Heroes/Villains for now.

As to whether or not you can leave the game? They never got the hang of providing proper facilities for allowing a player to leave the game. The player has to put a bit more effort into leaving the game than most other MMO's, but it is possible to prevent future subscription charges from happening. You simply have to revoke Click&Buy's permission to charge the account they have on file. Once you do that you will not be charged. Saying "You cannot leave Dark and Light" is simply not true. It just takes more effort.

I know this from personal experience. I had two accounts when Dark and Light officially launched. One Pioneer, and one regular account. I revoked the permission for C&B to charge me for the Pioneer account, though I still paid for the account when they were offered a year ago, and I still own the account (I simply don't subscribe). The other account I got a refund for. It did take some time and I did start the process of filing a charge-back...but in the end they did refund the money before I actually finished filing the charge back.

Why did I keep my Pioneer account and not ask for a refund. Well...maybe some day that game will be worth playing. Maybe by that time I'll be the only Pioneer left :P. I spent the money, it's no longer in my budget (by far), I essentially bet money on the fact that the game will be worth something some day. I still hope it will be. I'm basically in it for the long haul.

• DemonOvrlordDemonOvrlord Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Thor79

As to whether or not you can leave the game? They never got the hang of providing proper facilities for allowing a player to leave the game. The player has to put a bit more effort into leaving the game than most other MMO's, but it is possible to prevent future subscription charges from happening.
    Saying "You cannot leave Dark and Light" is simply not true. It just takes more effort

Statements like this from a player clearly dedicated to DnL do not inspire any urge to try it out.

'They never got the HANG of providing proper facilities for allowing players to LEAVE'  ????   

"Saying "You cannot leave Dark and Light" is simply not true. It just takes MORE EFFORT."   ????

This is supposed to make us trust these guys?

Shouldn't a little thing like an efficient and accurate billing system be something an online gaming company should work out?  Not to mention a little thing known as customer service.  At least they should if they give a rat's *** for their players. 

If I want to quit a game I am PAYING for then I want to be able to do it easily, not jump through a bunch of hoops.   I guess we should call DnL the AOL of online games.    Once you get in, have fun getting out.  Yeah, I want to get sucked into that. 

And now there's this nice little piece of twisted wording for PR purposes, claiming their game is free when it is really a FREE TRIAL they are offering.  NOT FREE PLAY.

Flyff is free.  Maple Story is free.  DnL is NOT. 

Just one more black mark to add to the long list of garbage surrounding this game.    You'd have to be crazy to want to get involved in this whole fiasco.

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202
    badest mmorpg i ever seen. hey this would be a nice award..
  • Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by DemonOvrlord
    Statements like this from a player clearly dedicated to DnL do not inspire any urge to try it out.
    'They never got the HANG of providing proper facilities for allowing players to LEAVE' ????
    "Saying "You cannot leave Dark and Light" is simply not true. It just takes MORE EFFORT." ????

If I were dedicated to the game I would be playing it. I'm just hoping the money I spent on the Pioneer pack will be worth something some day.

never said you should try it out...I was just setting the record straight. Stating facts.

I then gave you my perspective. Obviously a person who wishes the game to be worth something someday saying that they have no desire to go try it out again is a statement you should pay attention to.

The game itself is enough for me not to try it out again...I would have to hear of dramatic improvements for me even to consider going back. The additional issues of the billing...language barrier...and poor customer service make me stay away even more.

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by DemonOvrlord

Originally posted by Thor79

As to whether or not you can leave the game? They never got the hang of providing proper facilities for allowing a player to leave the game. The player has to put a bit more effort into leaving the game than most other MMO's, but it is possible to prevent future subscription charges from happening.
    Saying "You cannot leave Dark and Light" is simply not true. It just takes more effort

Statements like this from a player clearly dedicated to DnL do not inspire any urge to try it out.

'They never got the HANG of providing proper facilities for allowing players to LEAVE'  ????   

"Saying "You cannot leave Dark and Light" is simply not true. It just takes MORE EFFORT."   ????

Shouldn't a little thing like an efficient and accurate billing system be something an online gaming company should work out?  Not to mention a little thing known as customer service.  At least they should if they give a rat's *** for their players. 

If I want to quit a game I am PAYING for then I want to be able to do it easily, not jump through a bunch of hoops.   I guess we should call DnL the AOL of online games.    Once you get in, have fun getting out.  Yeah, I want to get sucked into that. 

And now there's this nice little piece of twisted wording for PR purposes, claiming their game is free when it is really a FREE TRIAL they are offering.  NOT FREE PLAY.

Flyff is free.  Maple Story is free.  DnL is NOT. 

Just one more black mark to add to the long list of garbage surrounding this game.    You'd have to be crazy to want to get involved in this whole fiasco.

Listen to this guy!  He is absolutely right.  I had a Pioneer account that I was lucky enough to get a refund for!!!

I really had to jump through hoops to get it though.  First of all I had to send in a support ticket to both D&L support and also submit an e-mail to click and Buy.  3 Days later I somehow received an authorization number from D&L support which I was then told to give to Click & Buy.  After 5 days, I received an e-mail from Click & Buy that I would indeed receive a refund.  That took 10 days to finally post to my account.

I only found the procedures to do this through some player's post.  No one from the company will tell you how to quit.  However it doesn't end there unfortunately... 

Many people just like me were fraduently charged some 6 months after they had cancelled.  In order to prevent this you must log in to your Click & Buy account and reverse the "easy collect" option.  Then you need to lower the amount they can deduct from your account.  I made mine .01c.  Later after I heard the horror stories, I called Click & Buy (waited on hold for 45 minutes ) to get them to delete all my account information from their system.

I have heard that sometimes this works and sometimes doesn't.  Some people had to cancel their credit cards to prevent D&L from charging them.  Then Farlan had the audacity to send those individuals (people who had cancelled months ago remember...) an e-mail stating that they owed D&L $39.99 for the game plus $9.99 for a monthly fee.  This company is unbelievable..

If you are smart, you will stay as far away from this SHAM as humanly possible.
  • MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Sorry, but I don't even trust that code being on my laptop.

A big "no thanks."   

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by Motorhead

Sorry, but I don't even trust that code being on my laptop.
    A big "no thanks."   
    Lol, same reason.  I was downloading the game, it was at 50% when i cancel it.  I said to myself, do i really want that crap on my computer ?  
  • SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Funny that this came out right after it was nearly a winner in a lot of "MMOWTF awards" here on MMORPG.com?  Coincidence or are they scared?  2 weeks ago I would have tried this.  Now? I'll pass but thanks for trying DnL guys.  Like most people I wanted to wait on the verdict from people after almost getting in the beta testing of it.  Glad I did as I don't believe I would have been very happy with their processes. 

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• CastorHoSCastorHoS Member Posts: 54
    I sat through just about everything over there at that game and have one of the oldest forum accounts there.(which means exactly nothing) This game is as close to vapor ware as you can get without it actually being just that.

Companies from I think China and other countries poured money into this and I and many people thought they would run off with it. From all indications they may very well have.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    I'm not going to play D&L (heard nothing good about it), but I wish more MMOs went this way. I hate having just a week or two for trial. Often days go by without me playing, so I usually don't even feel like starting the trials. If a trial gave me as long as I wanted, just limited my advancement, then there's a higher chance I'll try it, therefore a chance I'll enjoy the game and pay for it. I pay for CoH/CoV even though I don't game a lot. I think it's a good deal for the game publishers to have a more open ended trial.
  • CowinspaceCowinspace Member Posts: 671
    News -> Play DnL till level 10 for free

Me -> Sorry I can't, I'm in the middle of watching paint dry.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by CastorHoS
    I sat through just about everything over there at that game and have one of the oldest forum accounts there.(which means exactly nothing) This game is as close to vapor ware as you can get without it actually being just that. Companies from I think China and other countries poured money into this and I and many people thought they would run off with it. From all indications they may very well have.
    Yah Snailgames just recently got involved with Farlan, now it seems Farlan has stopped completely caring who has canceled their account & who has not.

Also there is NO CANCEL BUTTON of any kind (yet), you change to "freedom"-account but that costs 9.99 . The other way is to cancel your account at C&B & then wait for Farlan to send false claims.

Do notice the support company Alchemic Dreams has no problems with getting paid with ill-gotten money. Companies you should look out for are in bold.