Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WASD or click? (poll included)

Okay, which do you guys prefer.

Me myself, I prefer WASD, because it is a bit smoother, using WASD to move, and the mouse to adjust camera angles. It also involves me a bit more in the game.

Mouse clicking, on the other hand, is kind of obtuse, because you have to use both mouse buttons, and... I just don't like it. Might be because im not used to it.

So, yeah.

I cannot hear you over the SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Comments

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078
    I use a twisted hybrid of both, born of my left-handed hatred of standard keyboard.  WASD and mouse look?! Where do you think my mouse is, on the right side of my computer or something?! Geez!

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• 321abcde321abcde Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Taera

I use a twisted hybrid of both, born of my left-handed hatred of standard keyboard.  WASD and mouse look?! Where do you think my mouse is, on the right side of my computer or something?! Geez!
    Hah.

I should try that.

Left = Q

Right = L

Up = V

Down = M

Now that is the perfect set-up.

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Your sig is gonna get you in trouble.

They don't mind a little cursing, but they do mind excessive cursing... your sig is excessive since it's in every post you make.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • 321abcde321abcde Member Posts: 34
    Well, techinically, I swear only once in every single post I make.

So, that isn't really excessive.

Excessive would be:

$#^(*@(&;#()%^)@^)($#()^&;*@)#(%)@#*&;%)@*^)$*@^)*&;$@)*^ ------- long string of expletives------ (($*^(&$)@(^)&;*@!

At least, that is me.

• Lord_ZLord_Z Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Definently WASD, i hate clicking to move, thats normally what drives me away from a game not being able to configure the controls, clicking to move is ok but it just annoys me sometimes, dunno if its just because im most used to using WASD since i play on consoles alot too and to move on that its basically a arrow set insted of having the down in the middle its at the bottom which i think doesnt help me to like clicking to move. Eitherway imo i think all games you should be able to choose whether you want to click or use WASD to move.
  • indiindi Member UncommonPosts: 149

I prefer wasd by far over mouse movement. Imo it's more precise and allows a faster reaction. Only exception are asian MMORPGs with no jump function, since these kind of games are mostly intended to be played via point-and-click, resulting in a poor wasd support.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    well i havent played many games with clicking isntead of wasd

but it pretty much worked for me so

im missing the answear "i like both"

well i voted for wasd couse that

fits more to the expectations :]

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• DraikenDraiken Member Posts: 23
    WASD is just what we are used to. FPS games use it, and just about every third person computer game uses it as well. I like it because of its fluidity and control over detail. You have so much more control over every single movement when you use your keyboard. This is especially useful in PvP when you don't want to devote your time to switching camera angles and would love just to backpedal a little bit.
  • RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Ofcourse its gonna be 100% on WASD! This is a western based forum.

WASD for Westerners, Mouse Click for Easterners.

Thats just the way games are.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • ValorusValorus Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by SnaKey

They don't mind a little cursing, but they do mind excessive cursing... your sig is excessive since it's in every post you make.

Very nice of you to point that out.  Tattle-tale.

by the way you have some brown goop just under your nose - wasn't sure if you saw it or not and thought you might wanna wipe it off.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Point & click over WASD (except for twitch based games) Imo.  WASD is just clumsy and makes character controll much more dificult then by point & click.
  • psychoavengepsychoavenge Member Posts: 11
    WASD by far.. it's more precise instead of the clumsy point and click - don't even get me started on point and click and camera angles.  WASD should be the standard WORLD WIDE not just on the western side.
    Originally posted by psychoavenge

WASD by far.. it's more precise instead of the clumsy point and click - don't even get me started on point and click and camera angles.  WASD should be the standard WORLD WIDE not just on the western side.
    ew, no it shouldn't. I'm glad that will never happen.
  • SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by Valorus

Originally posted by SnaKey

Very nice of you to point that out. Tattle-tale.
    by the way you have some brown goop just under your nose - wasn't sure if you saw it or not and thought you might wanna wipe it off.

I was informing him before one of the mods said something about it, ass.

Did I report it? No.
    Do I care? No.
    Does it offend me? No.

How about you keep your nose out of other's business? :-/ And go back to your runescape forum where you belong.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723
    WSAD is the real gamers choice anything else is incredibly inferior!

Mouse clicking is a disease left over from avid consollers moving onto a pc, in time they will learn to master the real art of gaming and use WSAD.
    Originally posted by Vortigon

WSAD is the real gamers choice anything else is incredibly inferior!

Mouse clicking is a disease left over from avid consollers moving onto a pc, in time they will learn to master the real art of gaming and use WSAD.
    Ok, lets put the facts on the table.

Fact: Point & click movement requires less of the server

Fact: Most 3D mmorpg's use the right mouse button to move the camera

Fact: You can reach more keys when using point & click then when using WASD.

Its hardly inferior. if anything, WASD is inferior.
  • BlackMoonBlackMoon Member Posts: 177

I like ease of movement, also known as WASD.

The previously mentioned 'facts' are rediculous, enough said. Don't get defensive due to opinions, nobody is forcing you to change.

Originally posted by BlackMoon

The previously mentioned 'facts' are rediculous, enough said. Don't get defensive due to opinions, nobody is forcing you to change.
    How exactly are the facts rediculous? That point & click is more easy on the server is a well known fact. When using point & click, you will have one entire hand left to use the entire keyboard. When using WASD movement, you will often have one hand on the mouse to control the camera, the other hand will be used to controll WASD. Try holding A and use the righter keys on your keyboard. difficult, isn't it? even reaching keys 9 and 0 is much harder then when you would use point & click. It doesn't seem that rediculous to me
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by BlackMoon

How exactly are the facts rediculous? That point & click is more easy on the server is a well known fact. When using point & click, you will have one entire hand left to use the entire keyboard. When using WASD movement, you will often have one hand on the mouse to control the camera, the other hand will be used to controll WASD. Try holding A and use the righter keys on your keyboard. difficult, isn't it? even reaching keys 9 and 0 is much harder then when you would use point & click. It doesn't seem that rediculous to me

When it comes to fact 1 I can't comment, I am not a server administrator or a developer. I'd venture to say that point/click is a penny pinching technique, so sure, I bet it is easier on the servers?

Every game that I have played that uses WASD allows you to adjust so you can move purely with the mouse by holding down both buttons allowing you to move and rotate the camera at the same time (Free look). That is the movement I always use and it is by far the most convenient and practical in my opinion. WASD and the type of mouse movement I described go hand in hand, so yes, I am still arguing the same thing. Often times I use both, switching back and forth.

When I come across a game that has point and click, that is the ONLY method of movement it seems to offer. There is no versatility or options allowing you to change to any other movement method.

It is the rotation of the camera that is the point and clicks downfall (Or maybe its the restricted linear movements that piss some people off, you must love restrictions!). At least in a WASD movement I can move and rotate at the same time, in most point and click games when you initiate the rotation your mouse is not free to then move and click. 

But once again, it's simply based on people's experiences and opinions. Trying to use facts to say one is better than the other is rediculous in my opinion. :)

But doesn't the fact that you use both mouse keys to move around instead of the WASD movement prove how lackluster WASD is? With point & click, you don't have to do that at all. I disagree with the camera changing thing, since changing the camera shouldn't take much more then a small swipe with your mouse (assuming that you have your camera diagonal above your character, as intended).

I'll entertain the notion that I couldn't reprogram to use the mouse, if I had the option of going WASD or Point/Click I would still choose WASD for two reasons I mentioned before.

1) The simultaenous camera rotation & movement problem still bothers me with point/click.

2) The restricted linear movements of point/click. That alone is annoying, but have found that it also messes with my game play at times due to having to multiclick around certain obstacles.

To each his own. Like a previous poster said, and I think this is true to an extent, the preference seems to be a geographically related one.

• ursadursad Member Posts: 39
    I think its what type of game you playing, but i like it so you can use both, such as use arrow or WASD keys  to move forward and back and mouse to go side 2 side.

/Ursad
  • syrecsyrec Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Both, but generally WASD and mouse to do camera.
  • stonies88stonies88 Member Posts: 23
    Personally my favorite set-up was the old school SWG.  Maybe its because SWG was my first / favorite MMO but who knows.  But if I had to pick one of those 2 choices then it would have to be WASD.
  • FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    wasd allows for far more immersive game play..you can zoom in to first-person mode..jump, kneel, go prone all while fighting. Point and click is just moving, and you have to click on your target to attack. Half the time you miss your target and just go running by them. If a game is point and click it's usually CHEESE.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.