Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lineage 2 beta

downloaded it a while ago, it's the most annoying install i've ever dealt with. to anyone who will download it, it's a 1gb exe. file which slows your comp down damn near freezing it (2.8ghz 512mb). they should've made a smaller exe zipped with data files, it would do away with the freezing. anyway after that, the 1 gb file is obsolete. they got like a million patches already so once you install and it starts patching it's be like 2-3 hours before you get all the patches. and thats at like 80k downloading, i checked my bandwidth meter. just a warning to those who plan on getting the beta

anyone i only played a lil bit, level 3 rabbit killer or whatever those lil things are image

so far i guess the game is ok, it's my first mmorpg. server load is pretty heavy, thats the only real complaint right now

my name on there is Jump0ff, say wassup and gimme gold image

Comments

• MagpieMagpie Member Posts: 63

Aye the download is big, as for slowing down your comp I didn't have that trouble (2.4g 512mb).  The servers are packed right now with so many trying to play (I think this is the whole point of open betas – Stress test).  The biggest problem is the login server.  Once in game the lag isn't too bad.  Noticeable but not show stopping.  In fact it is one of the most stable pre realise games I have ever played.  The graphics are good, just a little bit samey.  There is a dire need for more character customisation.  The PvP system seems to work at lower levels but I haven’t had a blast at the high end stuff yet.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Early opinion is a big image.

I do however retain the right to change my mind. Some MMORPG's start off great and grow old fast.

There are only 10 types of programmers. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

• Pika-CthulhuPika-Cthulhu Member Posts: 13

I didnt have much of a problem downloading the Install file, Although I DID use a Download manager/accelerator. After the inital first two hours of the download, I then installed, for about 20 minutes, and then Patched for a further 15 minutes, in this time I managed to tidy up my desk, drive my sister to work, and have a sandwich and glass of milk. At which point I was ready to play. Took me a little over 2 hours to reach level 6 (I did a buttload of exploring) I think Ill restart my character tommorow.

So far, im loving it, although I do wish it came with an instruction manual/help file.

• MoghedanMoghedan Member UncommonPosts: 16

Pretty much the same story.

Downloading the client is wretched.  Took for freaking ever.  You would think the client you DL would at least be the most current version, but in nearly every MMO I have ever played, it is not.  This is not a huge issue, just a small point of irritation.

I started out with the Orcs, made a fighter.  Took very little time to make level 7... but in that time all I did was travel down a LONG ramp and kill red raccon-foxes.  Then I killed grey raccon-foxes (called wolves, btw) at the bottom.  Super crowded, so I never stopped to camp an area, just moved down the narrow hill-ramp.  To get back to town, I reckon about 15 minutes of straight running.  Not that you can call it a town... You have a massive fire pit where you first spawn... and a tiny upper area with a dozen NPCs.  I will need to go back there to spend my skill points, but I cannot really think of another reason.

Standard fare combat, retro style, press an autoattack key and wait to see who wins.  At least I cannot /con the target to have any idea if it is too strong or too weak.  That would be just too easy.  One day, god willing, I will spend some skill points and get the equivilent of a "Kick" button.

I don't know.  The game is pretty to look at.  If that is the most important aspect for you, go for it.  But it simply ISN'T a replacement for EQ, or even for DAoC, otherwise.  The whole time I was playing, I was thinking how many times I had done this before, but without the new game excitement this time.  Maybe it is just me and too many MMORPGs played, but this one just gets old quick.

• juyanithjuyanith Member Posts: 4
    I just wish they'd send me the key so I can even give it a try. I have the client, but no email to activate the game. I'm feeling rather ignored... image

• BigPeelerBigPeeler Member Posts: 1,270

Originally posted by Moghedan

Pretty much the same story.
    Downloading the client is wretched.  Took for freaking ever.  You would think the client you DL would at least be the most current version, but in nearly every MMO I have ever played, it is not.  This is not a huge issue, just a small point of irritation.
    I started out with the Orcs, made a fighter.  Took very little time to make level 7... but in that time all I did was travel down a LONG ramp and kill red raccon-foxes.  Then I killed grey raccon-foxes (called wolves, btw) at the bottom.  Super crowded, so I never stopped to camp an area, just moved down the narrow hill-ramp.  To get back to town, I reckon about 15 minutes of straight running.  Not that you can call it a town... You have a massive fire pit where you first spawn... and a tiny upper area with a dozen NPCs.  I will need to go back there to spend my skill points, but I cannot really think of another reason.
    Standard fare combat, retro style, press an autoattack key and wait to see who wins.  At least I cannot /con the target to have any idea if it is too strong or too weak.  That would be just too easy.  One day, god willing, I will spend some skill points and get the equivilent of a "Kick" button.
    I don't know.  The game is pretty to look at.  If that is the most important aspect for you, go for it.  But it simply ISN'T a replacement for EQ, or even for DAoC, otherwise.  The whole time I was playing, I was thinking how many times I had done this before, but without the new game excitement this time.  Maybe it is just me and too many MMORPGs played, but this one just gets old quick.

well the thing about L2 is it is alot like other MMO's in the early stages (especially in the pre-chronicle beta version we're playing) but the game is like 99% geared towards the end game players... mass boss raids, huge castle sieges, tons of rare equipment, 3 kinds of dragons to tame and raise up...

oh btw there is a way to "con" a monster... just look at the color of their name after u target them... white means their right around ur level, red means their above (the deeper the shade, the harder) and blue means under ur level (in the same way the red one does)...

oh also the combat gets more complicated after about 20+ and u start getting alot more class/race specific skills

--------------------------------------

• Jump0ffJump0ff Member Posts: 14

it's good game so far, but the server load is nuts and i've been getting a lot of crashes and disconnects lately.

are the servers down?

i can't connect to any of them as of 2pm eastern US

also i don't think they got any US servers yet

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I came into the Lineage II beta with an open mind and an urge to try something new and exciting.  I got that, to a certain degree.  I blame the beta for lack of content as it is now, but I am expecting the content to grow considerably at final release and in further updates.

I am not a PvPer, I played DaoC and was pretty sheltered in the main lands of my realm, only venturing out for PvP occasionally, so Lineage II is a change.  I played old UO where I was continuously murdered by PK’ers, and I still get PK’d sometimes in L2, but it seems gamers have matured somewhat as I haven’t really been bothered much by the rampages some people have had (toward me).  And in Lineage II, there IS revenge, even if you don’t personally deal the ass kicking for your murder, you can bet somebody else will kick that PK’ers ass for you.

Graphics are nice, very detailed and smooth.  Characters and mobs look great, but there is a HUGE need for customization, there are few options right now.  Animations are rare, too, but what there is has been nicely done.  Emotes are needed, too.

Races and classes look good, only archers still rule.  I expect a nerf, many others have hinted at this, too.  The difference of race looks, movement (Dark Elves are downright spooky in the way they run, and Orcs are big and slow), and overall feel for the gameplay is varied.  All the skills that you can eventually learn keep adding variation to a system that starts pretty basic.

Quests are fun, but are simple and pretty common.  Something has to be done with the freakin chat boxes that NPCs have when you talk to them.  You cannot resize the windows, and their words often get brok

en up like this.

The clan system looks good, I have only gotten to level 10 with about 4 different character classes/races, so I haven’t been in any higher-end gameplay.  In Lineage II, the burden of a clan falls mainly on the leader, as he must supply valuable Skill Points to advance the clan through stages for growth.  He/she must do this, sacrificing these SP’s that would have been spent to improve and learn new skills.  It costs a boat load of adena (money), too, but the whole clan can chip in for this.

The community is OK, so far.  With the bottleneck of players stuffed into just 3 servers, you really get a feel for the type of players that will be in Lineage II.  I can’t complain.  I am a roleplayers at heart, but I came into Lineage II expecting a lot of PvP and little to no RP.  I was pleasantly surprised to see some people roleplaying, and eve some others starting RP Clans.  Make me want to play even more now . . .

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    Still waiting on my Key email image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

Many of the things you noted Moghedan change quite a bit as you level up (starting even as low as level 10+).  You might want to get up a bit more if those are your only worries.

The selection of monsters starts to rise quite a bit and as far as combat its much more involved then EQ's especially for the melee classes.  At level 5 melee start getting their first combat skills and they have a much larger impact on combat then anything you get in EQ in general and especially until the teens.

Conning is in game, all you have to do is look at the color of the targets name in the target window.  The colors are very similar to EQs but with even more detail.  Blues and greens being below you in level, whites similar level, yelows above, reds well above.  There are shades of the different colors to even further give you an idea of the difference in level between you and your target.

The skills continue to keep coming every 5 to 10 levels as you go eventually creating a decent size list of varied abilities unlike EQs complete lack of active skills other then the kick button.  Dont get me wrong I loved EQ (still my favorite mmorpg) but EQ's combat is far far more sit back and watch then in L2s.

As far as combat and graphics L2 is easily a replacement for EQ or most other mmorpgs imo, on the other hand EQs NPC factions, quests, immersive world, UI, and many other features still set it above the new games out.

• plaid13plaid13 Member Posts: 8
    i agree that install was a pain then waiting for it update on the patcher was terrible.