Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Interview with Thomas Wollbekk

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

News Editor Garrett Fuller sits down with Thomas Wollbekk, a World Designer for Funcom's Age of Conan. The two talk about life in the industry, influences in Wollbekk's career, and more!

MMORPG.com: Tell us a little about your childhood. How did school and where you live influence your choice to join the video game community?

Thomas Wollbekk: I always hated school for numerous reasons, and your computer probably does not have enough RAM to handle all of them on screen! So I won't go into details about that. However, I played a lot of games when I was home pretending to be doing homework. So you could say that school influenced my gaming quite a lot.

My biggest influence will always be my dad though; it was he who made me interested in games by giving me an Amiga 500 for my 5th birthday and playing Ports of Call with me for hours. Big kudos to him!

Read more here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• GiskardGiskard Member Posts: 5

Bubble Bobble - well how about that. I too can still have that tune poping up in my head!

Looking forward to some of that epic to be release next year

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Haha! Now thats one funny dev.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • xxNe0xxxxNe0xx Member Posts: 15
    [quote]

MMORPG.com:

What was your first job in games? What other games have you worked on?

Thomas Wollbekk:

I’ve made a couple of really simple games on my own called “Ben Reidar the Viking” and “Super Dildo Racer”.

[/quote]

"Super Dildo Racer"

Well I really wonder what that looked like xD
  • kyds3kkyds3k Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Other big influences: Super Mario World, Zelda (A Link to the Past), Railroad Tycoon, Rock’n Roll Racing, Rice of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, The Quake and Unreal series, Counter Strike and a bunch of other games I can’t remember on the fly.

Rice of the Triad, eh? 
  • WolfwargWolfwarg Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by kyds3k

Rice of the Triad, eh? 
    It's an epic game about the lunch of a Chinese gangster. Finishing it on 'Stir Fry' setting is difficult enough, but on 'Foo Yung' it's just insane!
  • MordacaiMordacai Member Posts: 309
    “Super Dildo Racer”

Was the only thing that really stood out in this interview. Funny or funny haha?.
  • KeridwanKeridwan Member Posts: 118

<yawn> I find it hard to believe that www.mmorpg can entertain the idea of publishing this kind of interview. It is lame, boring, enervating and ultimately a complete waste of time. Really who gives a damn about this kind of insignificant rubbish. I suspect there are two things at work in motivating this, first, its a space filler for mmorpg, second AoC gets a little more free marketing and publicity. Cmon guys think quality over quantity.

• Yucko55Yucko55 Member Posts: 25

Keridwan...

Not everybody is like you, caring only for news about the games themselves. Guys like me love to know the people behind games, who they are, how they got into the gaming industry and what kind of persons they are. IMO there should be a lot more interviews like this! I actually got more interested in AoC after seeing that there are hardcore gamers amongst the devs. And showing a dev wich seemingly only tries to be himself I think strenghtens the credability to AoC`s dev team.

I also think that getting to know a dev personally can tell us more or atleast just as much about a game than the revealing of a new feature could do.

Keep it up MMORPG.com! :)

• RyldRyld Member Posts: 99
    For this, Keridwan, you get named posted in game below a Cimmerian outhouse.

R
  • anoma7yanoma7y Member Posts: 27
    Luckily for all of us, only a small minority are as narrow minded as Keridwan.

It was entertaining and interesting as a mmo community human interest story. But the question we were all looking for is "when is the release date?" I would bet that mmorpg was asked "not" to ask the question.

What concerns me is the comment "We hope that you will continue following Age of Conan next year, as we’re getting ready to show off some truly epic material that will blow your socks off!" That kinda implies only seeing material in 2007 and not the release of the game itself.