Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its Just a Game

tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

howdy. I have been a refugee for, well about 5 months after the CU. I used to post on this forum 12 times a day 24/7. I now find myself posting once every 1-3 days, because you know ITS JUST A GAME yeah they took your money they took your game away but, really

whats starting 12384762416 "i hate soe" threads going to do? yeah ya'll need to release your anger, i understand but just remember that this thing is just a game. There is a much bigger world out there then a computer in a cubicle. Go to a ball game, go get some

friends at school, go to some parties. One thing ive noticed with some people, is that they dwell too much. Just sit back enjoy life while your young, ya'll are stressin over something thats happened over a year ago. There is a whole world out there with the best graphics

you can find. Just remember you cant change what happened, i cant change what happened in the eighth grade when i ruined a relationship with a chick. You cant change history, you cant change this game. Relaxe enjoy life while your still young, and wait for the emu

Playing: EVE Online
Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Comments

• End_of_a_eraEnd_of_a_era Member Posts: 527
    Yeh but it was a great game

imageimage

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Normally I would agree.......

Unfortunately though in most cases there are other similar games or what have you to take the place of the one they ruined. This is not the case for SWG. It was unique in that it was both sci fi and a sandbox system and MMOs today are severely lacking in those departments. There really is nothing to fill that void if gaming is what you enjoy and this game was your favorite.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

SWG never was "just a game". It was a virtual world sim set in the Star Wars universe, in which we were enticed to experience the "Greatest Star Wars Saga ever told, your own".

It's been changed into basically KOTOR online with a very bad UI and combat system and very little content.

If SWG were "just a game" you wouldn't have anywhere near the vitriol from us that exists.

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

saying "it's just a game" makes no sense. It's like saying money is just paper. If playing preCU swg is someone's favorite thing to do then that's what it is. And it makes no sense to say, "it's just your favorite thing to do".

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

You made that number up, more people say they love SOE then hate it.  http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=I+hate+SOE&word2=I+love+SOE  Pirrg must be spamming it everywhere

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by tvalentine

howdy. I have been a refugee for, well about 5 months after the CU. I used to post on this forum 12 times a day 24/7. I now find myself posting once every 1-3 days, because you know ITS JUST A GAME yeah they took your money they took your game away but, really
    whats starting 12384762416 "i hate soe" threads going to do? yeah ya'll need to release your anger, i understand but just remember that this thing is just a game. There is a much bigger world out there then a computer in a cubicle. Go to a ball game, go get some
    friends at school, go to some parties. One thing ive noticed with some people, is that they dwell too much. Just sit back enjoy life while your young, ya'll are stressin over something thats happened over a year ago. There is a whole world out there with the best graphics
    you can find. Just remember you cant change what happened, i cant change what happened in the eighth grade when i ruined a relationship with a chick. You cant change history, you cant change this game. Relaxe enjoy life while your still young, and wait for the emu
    Thanks Dr. Phil.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• OOJ-ZeroOOJ-Zero Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by tillamook

You made that number up, more people say they love SOE then hate it.  http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=I+hate+SOE&word2=I+love+SOE  Pirrg must be spamming it everywhere

Nope...you forgot to add quotation marks to make it search for the exact phrase: http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1="I+hate+SOE"&word2="I+love+SOE"

SWG refuge...avoid $OE like the plague...forum Nazis, GAWD.

• OssirisWardOssirisWard Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Wildcat84

SWG never was "just a game". It was a virtual world sim set in the Star Wars universe, in which we were enticed to experience the "Greatest Star Wars Saga ever told, your own".
    It's been changed into basically KOTOR online with a very bad UI and combat system and very little content.
    If SWG were "just a game" you wouldn't have anywhere near the vitriol from us that exists.

Very well said Wildcat84.

I have an entire guild of players awaiting the day we can plant our feet in the sands of Tat again.

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

Thanks Dr. Phil. I can't stand that guy.....
    Originally posted by Tagurit

Thanks Dr. Phil.I can't stand that guy.....

exactly

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

PreCU was just a game.

NGE is just a game.

The difference being, PreCU was just a game around 300K wanted to play. NGE is just a game 30K want to play. So what just a game makes more sense?

• FreelancerA4FreelancerA4 Member Posts: 145

/clear throat

If I may...

"It's a SERVICE. Not a game. It's a WORLD. Not a game. It's a COMMUNITY. Not a game. Anyone who says, 'it's just a game' is missing the point."

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

exactlyfirst of all..... i tihnk he was talkin to you ahazi, maybe im wrong but i woulda quoted just my post if i didnt like me.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

It is more than a game...it is a shared dream.

A collective dream.

It was never just a game.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by FreelancerA4

/clear throat
    If I may...
    "It's a SERVICE. Not a game. It's a WORLD. Not a game. It's a COMMUNITY. Not a game. Anyone who says, 'it's just a game' is missing the point."

right right, its a living breathing organism. EVERY MMO IS "a service, a world, a blah blah blah" its a good substitute though. What good does this game do you?? Gives you enjoyment for hours and hours, yeah i admit it i enjoyed it. But in the end, it doesnt do you any

good. Playing SWG Pre-CU doesnt get you anywhere, and neither does posting and praying about it to come back, or bash SOE/LA. Really amazing you people, i didnt flame, i didnt troll, i just told you all how it was and you guys got offended and came back with

flames. Which shows some of you guys really dont want to see that its just thousands of pixels on a computer screen. Playing/complaining, and sitting at your computer doin nothing but whine isnt going to get you anywhere, be happy there is a

SWGEMU and get over it, some of you people are simply amazing, Whats the difference between a game that you play alone, and a game you play online?? the community yes. But in the end 8/10s of you are never going to talk with those people once you get burnt

out of playing this game. Get a clue your idolizing something that isnt even there. All these are, are excuses for you people to rant on and rant on about how you miss this game.

Originally posted by Anofalye

A collective dream.

mmm my dream is to go play professional ball, and yours is to play SWG Pre-CU? Ok you go work at mcdonalds paying rent, utilities and your SWG Subscription while, people who have REAL Dreams do something with their lives, but hey at least yu got the best e-life right? so much better then a real one.

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309

exactlyfirst of all..... i tihnk he was talkin to you ahazi, maybe im wrong but i woulda quoted just my post if i didnt like me.

No, actually I did mean Dr. Phil.  That guy is an idiot who just road coattails to get where he is.
  • airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

Normally I would agree with this topic, however, SWG was more than a game to, dare I say most people.  It is a virtual world.  A virtual world based on the best sci-fi theme of all time.  If it was just a game, then I wouldn't have developed friendships.  These friendships, despite of us all cancelling our accounts still correspond with one another.  For mmo's in general, I think they go beyond the "just a game" category.  An example of a "just a game", would be something like KOTOR, or Oblivion.  

• ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

While I agree with OP's advice.  Its hard to let go of the anger, but you are ultimately better off.  I was as big a SOE hater as anyone, but have tried to let go.  I'm not saying go resubscribe, but just try to move on. 

However, while perhaps its just symantics, but I disagree that SWG is a mere game.  That is certainly the goal of SOE's current team to reduce SWG to a mere game, but it was once more than that at least to those that played it.  It mattered in a way that no other MMO did.  I guess it was the combination of a story we all really loved and a very immersive system that just sucked you in.

SOE could have leveraged more money out of the pre-nge subscriber base if they had just been straight with us.  Something along the lines of guys, the MMO market has gone really casual.  We know you all like this game, but its really complex, difficult to maintain and therefore more expensive to maintain than lesser MMOs.  Therefore, to remain viable in the market we need to increase the monthly cost.   I would have paid 20 or 25, maybe even 30 a month.  Sure I would have grumbled a bit, but that wouldn't drive me to cancel. 

But as the OP notes, we can't resurect SWG, no matter how much we wish it.

No, actually I did mean Dr. Phil.  That guy is an idiot who just road coattails to get where he is.

yah sry bout that, usually i dont post till real late. I just got what you said 5 minutes after i shut down the computer.

yah sry bout that, usually i dont post till real late. I just got what you said 5 minutes after i shut down the computer.

hey, sorry bout the dr. phil comment...just heard all this common sense advice many times before. And though we cant change the past..i doubt any company will try this again. SOE might even release their next game as a "finished" product. They might remember why they all got into this business in the first place. Right now all their effort is in creating different ways for us to pay them money and the 'game' is not important. Their games are going to be designed around payment method first, then everything else around that,  and they will fail.  We're trying to save them in a sick, fucked up way.

See you in the dream..

• SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

To state it is just a game is a rather shallow.

When you play an online game like SWG:

a. You are investing money in said experience. How do you feel when you have invested your hard earned mony in a stock and watch the board of the company make decision that destory the value of YOUR stock in that company?

b. You are investing time.  How do you feel when you have finally finished that 2500 peice jigsaw puzzle only to have yoru dog wag his tail and sweep it to the floor and shatter it? How do you feel when you have taken your weekends for a year or two and restored a 1965 Mustang, only to have someone hit it the first time you take it out on the way to a car show?

c. In most cases you are building and creating a small/large community with other thinking, breathing people. In some cases this leads to friendships, or something more romantic (fact is some people actaully meet in a game like this and do go out and get married in the real world).  Yes you and your new community might be able to move to a new enviroment...well unless that place is WOW and parts of your community are in europe.

For some SWG is/was will be nothing more then a set of ones and zeros flyign across the screen (in a more readable format), they can take or leave it. For some a game like this a means to "connect." loosing it means that they have lost something. For other, i know this for a fact, games like this are an addiction on par with drugs or alcohol. For the OP it might very well have been just a game, but to ASSUME that yoru feelings for the experience are the standard for everyone is hurbis.

Personally, yes like a stockholder I blame the management for what they did. Am I going to go out and either kill myself or someone random stranger because the game I enjoyed is gone? nope. BUT you can dam sure bet that when it comes to SoE and my money, I will not invest in them again.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by Anofalye

A collective dream.

mmm my dream is to go play professional ball, and yours is to play SWG Pre-CU? Ok you go work at mcdonalds paying rent, utilities and your SWG Subscription while, people who have REAL Dreams do something with their lives, but hey at least yu got the best e-life right? so much better then a real one.

Anyone here got any realistic dreams
  • ShinvarnShinvarn Member Posts: 13

No it was more than that, it was a community of players getting on with the business in the star wars Galaxy.

I have never had so much fun laughed so much and made so many online friends...................

Long live the Ranger........................

ah well back to mindless treasure hunting in wow

• MatchuMatchu Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Seloth

To state it is just a game is a rather shallow.
    When you play an online game like SWG:
    a. You are investing money in said experience. How do you feel when you have invested your hard earned mony in a stock and watch the board of the company make decision that destory the value of YOUR stock in that company?
    b. You are investing time.  How do you feel when you have finally finished that 2500 peice jigsaw puzzle only to have yoru dog wag his tail and sweep it to the floor and shatter it? How do you feel when you have taken your weekends for a year or two and restored a 1965 Mustang, only to have someone hit it the first time you take it out on the way to a car show?
    c. In most cases you are building and creating a small/large community with other thinking, breathing people. In some cases this leads to friendships, or something more romantic (fact is some people actaully meet in a game like this and do go out and get married in the real world).  Yes you and your new community might be able to move to a new enviroment...well unless that place is WOW and parts of your community are in europe.
    For some SWG is/was will be nothing more then a set of ones and zeros flyign across the screen (in a more readable format), they can take or leave it. For some a game like this a means to "connect." loosing it means that they have lost something. For other, i know this for a fact, games like this are an addiction on par with drugs or alcohol. For the OP it might very well have been just a game, but to ASSUME that yoru feelings for the experience are the standard for everyone is hurbis.
    Personally, yes like a stockholder I blame the management for what they did. Am I going to go out and either kill myself or someone random stranger because the game I enjoyed is gone? nope. BUT you can dam sure bet that when it comes to SoE and my money, I will not invest in them again.

Indeed many valid points here, especially the time aspect of online games. I'd also add that unlike a non-online game there is no defined ending, as the experience will evolve, and again I think this distinguishes a "game" which has a finite conclusion and something "more" which evolves and immerses an invididual and community.