Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Nation Under God

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
Our enemies despise the fact that our nation's success is attributed to it's Judeo-Christian values when many countries ruled by religious leaders and dictators of their religion have failed miserably. Everyone has the right to practice their own religion, but they should also respect the values our country was built upon. There should always be separation of church and state, but we must not ignore the inspirations of our founding fathers.

Do you think you could immigrate to Saudi Arabia and petition the government to take Allah out of Saudi society? You might lose your head to such a protest! Of course it is our God given right to protest, but removing the foundation of any structure or society results in collapse.

Purple mountains, plains of gold, sweet land of liberty!

With hand upon my heart,I give my pledge to you ~

One nation, under God, beneath the red, white, and blue.

I believe in America, her freedoms and liberties  ~ so abundant,  not only for her natural born citizens, but for all who brave to seek a newer world.

Our forefathers believed in the separation of church and state, yet still chose to mention God in the documents proclaiming our

independence and freedom!

In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people

to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another,

and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which

the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions

of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed

by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,

that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

From the Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln

“It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these

honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly

resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that

government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.”

"Oh! thus be it ever, when free men shall stand

Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner forever shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave! "

*The Star Spangled Banner, by Francis Scott Key

With a hand upon the Bible, our court systems embrace God!

"I swear that the testimony I am about to give shall be the truth,

the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God"

With my hand over my heart, I will continue to proudly proclaim,

One Nation, Under God!

Comments

• LostGraceLostGrace Member Posts: 380
    They added that because it was classy and expected.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Actually, one thing I keep hearing for some damn reason is the term seperation of church and state. People for some reason believe its there, written in the constitution, its not.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

I had to laugh last week.....there was some neo conservative Republican member of the House of Representatives that was all bent outta shape over a new Muslim member of Congress saying his oath of office with his hand placed on the Koran. Seems the neo con thought it would be more binding if the Muslim swore his oath of office on a Christian bible. Go figure....

Which makes me wonder, when an athiest gets up in court and swears to tell the truth, "so help me God"......well, does anyone else see something unusual about that?

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503
    Why do you quote the Declaration of Independence? Our laws are based on the constitution, not a letter written to the British. Try going to court and telling the judge to rule in your favor because of what's written in the Declaration. It ain't gonna happen. You'll get the same result if you start arguing to the Court that something should happen under the Gettysburg address. That's not a legal document, it's a speech.  Presidents, including our current George Bush, can make all the speeches they want to. That doesn't make them law.

Under the constitution it's actually quite simple. You can worship how you want with two conditions:

1. Believe anything you like, but you can't break the existing law. Think you need to smoke pot to worship your god? That's fine. You can think that all you want. But if you *do* it, you're going to jail.

2. Preach whatever you like, as long as anyone has the ability to walk away from you without having their daily life interfered with. This is the one people have the hardest time with, because no matter what they tell you, what they really want is the ability to force someone to listen to them. Sorry, you don't get this right.

For example, hand out pamphlets and dress like Jesus, and stand on the street corner if you want to. No problem, people can simply walk on the other side of the street to avoid you if they like. However, you cannot preach to people standing in line to mail a letter at the post office. They have to do their business (mail letters), which means they can't walk away, so sorry, you can't preach there.

Do you really want to live in a country where people can force you to listen to their religious views?

Of course you can always post in forums, since people can simply ignore the posts

Follow those two general rules, and you'll be just fine.
  • pastafarianipastafariani Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Aelfinn

Actually, one thing I keep hearing for some damn reason is the term seperation of church and state. People for some reason believe its there, written in the constitution, its not.
    The words "separation of church and state" may not appear in the constitution, but the ideas do.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

I disagree with the first poster. The founding fathers agreed that "God," should appear no where within the constitution. They made the constitution secular for a reason.

XboxAmerica.com

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Your society is founded by all the religious whacko's we expelled for being too unstable.

God is in the rattlesnake, he is biting me for Jesus.

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503
    Originally posted by pastafariani

Originally posted by Aelfinn

The words "separation of church and state" may not appear in the constitution, but the ideas do.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

I disagree with the first poster. The founding fathers agreed that "God," should appear no where within the constitution. They made the constitution secular for a reason.

That is correct. Separation of Church and state is just shorthand for expressing the ideas in the Constitution. For example, let's say I invite you to come over to my house for coffee. I haven't specifically told you that you are allowed to park in my driveway, or ring my doorbell, but you pretty much have to do those things if you're coming over for coffee.

The same goes with separation of Church and state. Without that the rest of the ideas in the Constitution don't make much sense.
  • XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697
    Originally posted by baff

Your society is founded by all the religious whacko's we expelled for being too unstable.

Actually.. our nation was founded by enlightened thinkers.  You know, the ones that the Great Enlightenment produced.  It was the Great awakening that produced the rest of the nutjobs.

The whackos that you expelled from your country died off years before.

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

Most of the founding fathers were Deists, not Christians.

Just though I'd throw that in there...

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458
    The words "Under God" were only added to the Pledge of Allegiance some 50 years ago. Government officials realized the need to use propaganda against Russia during the Cold War. Communists were labeled as a godless people, and as they expected, it pulled on a lot of heartstrings from the religious majority of America.  So our school systems went to work on brainwashing a new generation of Americans that would see the communist bastards for what our government wanted us to see them as.

Also, its very close-minded to think that this country was based on Christianity. The Founding Fathers made it a very important point to not include the word "God" or anything of the when writing our Constitution. They realized that this was the document that was truly going to be the universal law for a nation that should last for hundreds of years, if not longer. Therefore, they went out of their way to make sure that there was no hint of religion in the Constitution, aside from the articles about individual freedom--and even then it doesn't even use the phrase "God." Sure, say what you want about the Founding Fathers being Christians (even if many of them actually weren't), but no matter their influence, you can't ignore the lengths they went to to ignore specific religions when writing the Constitution.

Not to mention, the influences of Christianity on our nation is exceedingly slim. Most influence came from political philosophers like John Locke and those from the Greek democracies. The only major religious influence was from the Jews, who were the first religion to really have a set of rules that we sometimes use today, and even put them infront of our courthouses that eventually get taken down.

-Machiavelli

• reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173
    Originally posted by baff

No, they left voluntarily because of your authoritative monarchy threatening their lives and their freedom.
  • reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173
    Okay, so we're a country under God. 

Who's God? 

I don't think the founding father's were quite clear enough on that now, were they?  And as far as which "God" they believed in, they were all over the board.  And I don't think they were quite as intent on discrediting those who don't believe in God as evangelistic radicals are today.  The Quaker's actually welcomed atheists into their communities with no problems.
  • GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
    Originally posted by reavo

Who's God? 

I don't think the founding father's were quite clear enough on that now, were they?  And as far as which "God" they believed in, they were all over the board.  And I don't think they were quite as intent on discrediting those who don't believe in God as evangelistic radicals are today.  The Quaker's actually welcomed atheists into their communities with no problems.
    Pretty sure they were all christians who believed in the SAME God. They were all protestants, just different kinds.  The Quakers are lunatics, you can't take them seriously :)

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390

Most of the Founding Father's were not Christian, in fact they feared the Jeudo-Christian's taking over power much as Europe had experienced.

The country was built on human mores and a fear of theocracy, not religious values. Religions have since used political powers to create agendas, but that is not what the country was built on.

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
      They just didnt like Catholicsm, but they all believed in one God. Besides the Founding Fathers were just a few people. The mass of the population was heaviliy christian and religious.

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• LilithIshtarLilithIshtar Member Posts: 667
    That's lovely and all but...

On 21 April 1787, the Continental Congress of the United States authorized a design for an official penny, later referred to as the Fugio cent because of its image of the sun shining down on a sundial with the caption, "Fugio" (Latin: I flee). The image and the word combine to mean "Time Flees". This coin was reportedly designed by Benjamin Franklin, and as a reminder to its holders, he put at its bottom the message, "Mind Your Business". This design had also been used on the "Continental dollar" (issued as coins of unknown real denomination, and in paper notes of different fractional denominations) in February of 1776.

Some historians believe that the word "business" was intended literally here, as Franklin was an influential and successful businessman. However, considering the full saying of "mind your own business," which would not have fit on the coin, it can just as easily be interpreted as a statement of privacy.

The reverse side of both the 1776 coins and paper notes, and the 1787 coins, bore the third motto "We Are One" (in English).

When the United States was reformed after the 1789 ratification of the 1789 Constitution, gold and silver coins bore the official motto of the new United States, E pluribus unum, taken from the also non-religious 1782 Great Seal of the United States of America.

In 1864, during the Civil War, the Union (North) introduced a 2-cent coin with the new motto "In God We Trust". In 1956, In God We Trust was mandated for all our currency. There are calls for a return to putting the original mottoes back on all American currency.

I say we atleast put "Mind your Business" back onto the coins.

In ROTC class, we had to say the Pledge of Alliegance right before class started. I never once said it, at all. The whole fake Freedom and single god annoyed me. :D

Independant, Shinto, Lesbian, and Proud!

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

DEATH TO THE ACLU!

That's all I got to say.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by SnaKey

DEATH TO THE ACLU!
    That's all I got to say.
    you forgot to say...........Amen

• LostGraceLostGrace Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by Gorukha

Originally posted by reavo

Who's God? 

Pretty sure they were all christians who believed in the SAME God. They were all protestants, just different kinds.  The Quakers are lunatics, you can't take them seriously :) Why not? Because they are peaceful. They do not kill people just because they are Muslims and Jews?

You're pathetic. No one can take you seriously.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162
    Originally posted by outfctrl

Our enemies despise the fact that our nation's success is attributed to it's Judeo-Christian values when many countries ruled by religious leaders and dictators of their religion have failed miserably. Everyone has the right to practice their own religion, but they should also respect the values our country was built upon. There should always be separation of church and state, but we must not ignore the inspirations of our founding fathers.

Do you think you could immigrate to Saudi Arabia and petition the government to take Allah out of Saudi society? You might lose your head to such a protest! Of course it is our God given right to protest, but removing the foundation of any structure or society results in collapse.

Purple mountains, plains of gold, sweet land of liberty!

With hand upon my heart,I give my pledge to you ~

One nation, under God, beneath the red, white, and blue.

I believe in America, her freedoms and liberties  ~ so abundant,  not only for her natural born citizens, but for all who brave to seek a newer world.

Our forefathers believed in the separation of church and state, yet still chose to mention God in the documents proclaiming our

independence and freedom!

In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people

to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another,

and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which

the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions

of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed

by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,

that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

From the Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln

“It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these

honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly

resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that

government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.”

"Oh! thus be it ever, when free men shall stand

Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner forever shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave! "

*The Star Spangled Banner, by Francis Scott Key

With a hand upon the Bible, our court systems embrace God!

"I swear that the testimony I am about to give shall be the truth,

the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God"

With my hand over my heart, I will continue to proudly proclaim,

One Nation, Under God!

With all the time you spend on this board spounting your archaic, chestbeating GOP political views, let me quote Capt'n Jack Sparrow by saying,"You need to find yourself a girlfriend, mate."
  • olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356
    Originally posted by LilithIshtar

In 1956, In God We Trust was mandated for all our currency. There are calls for a return to putting the original mottoes back on all American currency.
    In God We Trust was added to all the US coin and currency to signify that we do not accept credit from anyone other than God. So ya'll are expected to pay cash up front when ya buy something.......
  • MystiquMystiqu Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by Nihilanth

Most of the founding fathers were Deists, not Christians.
    Just though I'd throw that in there...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benjamin Franklin didn't start out Deist, both of his parents were devout Christians, and it seems that he didn't leave this world as a Deist either...

Franklin became disillusioned with organized religion after discovering Deism. He went on to attack Christian dogma and principles of free will, and then later repudiated it as an embarrassing "erratum".  A few months before his death, he said of Jesus,  "...I think the System of Morals and his Religion, as he left them to us, the best the World ever saw or is likely to see..."

Thomas Jefferson was considered a Christian deist.
    John Adams was raised a Congregationalist, becoming a Unitarian at a time when most of the Congregational churches around Boston were turning to Unitarianism, he wasn't a Deist...
    Historians and biographers continue to debate the degree to which George Washington can be counted as a Christian, and the degree to which he was a deist... Washington was an early supporter of religious pluralism.

In opinion of Roger Sherman's descendants he was a Freemason.   Freemasonry explicitly and openly states that it is not a religion, nor a substitute for religion, however, it requires that its candidates believe in a Supreme Being.  Roger Sherman was clearly not a Deist...
    Robert R. Livingston, also considered to be a Freemason...  not a Deist...

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth...
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by keltic1701

With all the time you spend on this board spounting your archaic, chestbeating GOP political views, let me quote Capt'n Jack Sparrow by saying,"You need to find yourself a girlfriend, mate."

I did, and she is a Southern Baptist hardcore Republican, Just Like Me!!! She is a fox too.

This even cracked me up............
    I was out of tequila so, on our way home from buying my GeForce 7600 GT, I stopped at a liqour store. I had to about drag her in. It was so funny. It was the first time she was ever in one....LOL

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Nah, the US became "In God we trust" when Canada look at the world and figure it was time to conquered non-Christians lands and call for a Crusade!

I always knew it, the fear of a Canadian invasion!  See what it does!    I dunno what army, but sure, guess something could have been thinked, kinda like sending these crazy westerners cowboys!  Oh wait, they want to join with the US...err...maybe asking the Brits?  Yeah, asking the Brits should solve everything! 

And to all the naysayers that think Canada was created in 1867 AFTER Alaska was buy out of fear of been anexed to the US...I say...err...I say....stfu!  Canada rule 4ever! 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• necrotherionnecrotherion Member Posts: 130
    Our countries aren't doing better than the Blacks or Arabs because of religion.

They are doing better because of their economies. Religion and Economy(market), can be said to contradict. Ex Christianity promotes meekness, non-individuality, and brotherly love; markets are based on supply and demand, greed and fear, where you have to be creative and original to succeed. You'd be best off killing any "brothers" competing with you, if that method was possible.