Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars Nightfall compared to WoW?

I was getting bored of WoW and the grind etc etc, and was wondering if any WoW players here have made the transition to GW NF, and what they think. I ask here, because I'd like to see opinions from people used to WoW, such as myself.

Many thanks.

Comments

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    Aside from the fact they are both computer games, I don't really see how you could make a vaild comparsion.

If you need to lose a few months of time to a game Guild Wars will work though.

• beaverboy123beaverboy123 Member Posts: 85
    To be honestm you cant really make a good comaprision between WoW and GW.
  • In my opinion Guild Wars is superior in all features they share, however WoW has a number of other features that simply do not exist in Guild Wars such as a persistent shared world, an auction house etc.

• linuxgamerlinuxgamer Member Posts: 126

I have played both extensively. I am still playing Guild Wars because the PvP is fun. Guild Wars is free to play online, after you buy the initial game. I tend to play GW if I want to get into PvP within 30 seconds.

If you ever stop subscribing to WoW, your characters will be saved, but you cannot access them til you subscribe again. With GW, your characters are always available.

• ThorhallThorhall Member Posts: 20
    GW=Diablo in 3D

WoW=MMORPG

Not even in the same class.
  • LuciandgLuciandg Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks for the responses. I do realize they are a different class of game, and actually that is what appeals to me. I was just looking for the overall gaming satisfaction for someone used to the WoW style but a little worn out on the extensive hours and repetition needed to progress, and open to a game that appears to have some pleasing similarities along with the differences. Though I know it is quite different, the online aspects I enjoy from WoW are the large world, varied quests, crafts and talent customization, and the ability to enjoy these things with other people.

So I focused on asking WoW players, so that maybe someone who tried both could give an overall view of the differences as either refreshing, or disappointing. If it were a console game or something, that would be different. But GW seems at least time consuming enough to where playing both probably would be prohibitive (for me at least). So it is still kinda an either/or thingy.

Ya know, stuff like that. Thanks again for the input, though.

"Diablo in 3D", heh yeah that sounds about right. Meh I'll just pick it up and see what I think. It isn't like buying a house.

Laters!
  • Originally posted by Luciandg

Many thanks for the responses. I do realize they are a different class of game, and actually that is what appeals to me. I was just looking for the overall gaming satisfaction for someone used to the WoW style but a little worn out on the extensive hours and repetition needed to progress, and open to a game that appears to have some pleasing similarities along with the differences. Though I know it is quite different, the online aspects I enjoy from WoW are the large world, varied quests, crafts and talent customization, and the ability to enjoy these things with other people.

So I focused on asking WoW players, so that maybe someone who tried both could give an overall view of the differences as either refreshing, or disappointing. If it were a console game or something, that would be different. But GW seems at least time consuming enough to where playing both probably would be prohibitive (for me at least). So it is still kinda an either/or thingy.

Ya know, stuff like that. Thanks again for the input, though.

"Diablo in 3D", heh yeah that sounds about right. Meh I'll just pick it up and see what I think. It isn't like buying a house.

Laters!
    The match play PvP is superior in all regards to match play in WoW.  World PvP doesnt really exist, but then again its nothing special in WoW so whatever.  But when it comes to PvE stuff, GW is basically a dungoen crawl.  The quests are minor dungeon crawls and the missions are longer more involved dungeon crawls.  It feels less "world" like. 

Don't let people fool you GW with all three expansion is as big as WoW with just as many quests.  But the quests of WoW can be a bit more entertaining because they feel more like oging through a world rather than fighting through a bunch of stuff, its more like doing a quest in a WoW instance than WoW world questing.

On the other hand some of the storline missions (espeically nightfall) are a bit more interesting than some WoW dungeon crawls although they are a similar experience.  For example one GW:NIghtfall mission is to defend 3 gates and 3 siege engines and at a fort against invading demons.  The gates are protection for the general inside and the siege engines actually fire on forces etc.  As you can see there are a few more twists involved or scripted events in GW missions.  These exist in WoW in places such as Dire Maul, but for the most part those places are 80% dungeon crawl.

Running around a zone in GW is just different than WoW zones.  WoW zones are not dungeon crawls with choke points and patrols, but WoW instances are.  So all zones in GW are essentially most like WoW instances.

So basically any "world" type stuff like say resource gathering and running around a zone looking for mining nodes etc.  Simply does not exist.  And even zones where you can run around do not really exist.  Its more like Black Rock Depths and getting to the forge there.  Unless you do some crazy ass running as a druid you gotta fight your way to the Dark Iron forge.  That is the way GW works with many things.  There is no real crafting or whatever else.

On the other hand is spectacular for playing casual, especially with heroes.  You can do an instance whenever you want however you want.  And the class system is incredibly rich.  No holy trinitiy crap

Guild Wars really is very much a Diablo like game.  The zones are diablo like, you gotta fight through them.  You are either fighting PvP matches or you are fighting in a PvE instance.

If you try to use it as a replacement for any shared persistent world type MMORPG it will be very disappointing.  I you use it as quick way to get some action with a hundred different ways to approach that action and not have the same old stupid holy-trinity aggro mechnics then its a great game.
  • SuperSuper Member Posts: 15
    Guild wars always wins.. any versio of it can't be compared to wow.. because wow just sucks.
  • desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390
    Gameplay wise they are opposite sides of the online RPG genre. An odd thing comparing the two is that GW has much mroe actual plot through the game than WoW does. Going from EQ,DAoC and FFXI to WoW I was very disappointed by the lack of story in WoW. Like others have said you can't really compare the two directly in play however,
  • NeoKyosuke18NeoKyosuke18 Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Luciandg

I was getting bored of WoW and the grind etc etc, and was wondering if any WoW players here have made the transition to GW NF, and what they think. I ask here, because I'd like to see opinions from people used to WoW, such as myself.

Many thanks.

What grind?!   WoW has the easiest leveling system out of any mmorpg i've played.. You want to experience the grind, play L2 or FFXI!

As far as comparison  .. YOU CAN'T compare these 2 it's like comparing a bicycle to an SUV for overall performance and quality.

If you want PVE and NOT pvp then stay away from GW... it's a total pvp lovers delite.  I hate pvp so I hate GW.

• desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390
    Originally posted by NeoKyosuke18

What grind?!   WoW has the easiest leveling system out of any mmorpg i've played.. You want to experience the grind, play L2 or FFXI!

FFXI and L2 grind are upto the end game. WoW's starts at 55 or so with such amazingly slow things as Argent Dawn, Brood, Cenarian Circle and other factions. Due to lock out timers and such I found WoW to be far more tedious at end game than FFXI even. For money and gear in FFXI we would go do BCNMs which I enjoyed immensely. In WoW to for some of the better items (like the armament turn-ins etc) you need to co-ordinate an entire raid to grind faction (a common thing to do at the entrance to AQ40 is to farm the entrance for rep for newer characters and guild members for example).

Would you rather grind as you level, or do it all at once after you level?

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    If you enjoy the freedom of movment a WoW character has, running, jumping, falling off things fast fluid movments etc. then GW will dissapoint, in GW your character is glued to the floor and you'll consantly run into invisable walls, you soon find you can only follow pre-set routes through the game world.

This for me also makes PvP boring.  but this is my opionon, for me WoW has better PvP for the fact its fast, frantic and I can go where I like to sneak up an enemy or for a fast get away.

Also it probably been said but GW is not a MMORPG, eveything is instanced (which is why the game has no monthly fees) and you will also find lag more obious in the GW (again cus its free the bandwidth is much lower).

For me WoW rates above GW in PvE and PvP.

• Originally posted by coffee

If you enjoy the freedom of movment a WoW character has, running, jumping, falling off things fast fluid movments etc. then GW will dissapoint, in GW your character is glued to the floor and you'll consantly run into invisable walls, you soon find you can only follow pre-set routes through the game world.

This for me also makes PvP boring.  but this is my opionon, for me WoW has better PvP for the fact its fast, frantic and I can go where I like to sneak up an enemy or for a fast get away.

Also it probably been said but GW is not a MMORPG, eveything is instanced (which is why the game has no monthly fees) and you will also find lag more obious in the GW (again cus its free the bandwidth is much lower).

For me WoW rates above GW in PvE and PvP.
    Nothing you said is false, but I would encourage people to not bother with the GW is not an MMORPG line for people who have never played GW.  GW is sufficiently similar and could actually be almost the same as EQ2 if it wanted to be, EQ2 is completely instanced as well.  Those who have never played GW will not get much mileage out of that description, esepcially since you need to expereince it to understand the different feeling.

This is why I was using WoW instances to try to communicate the feel of GW.  GW is highly similar to WoW instance and the actual world zones of WoW wind up being quite different.  For example jumping rarely matters in a WoW instance, whereas in a BG like AB jumping can matter quite a bit when you are trying to capture the mine flag or trying to get to some resource node on a hill or whatever.

The real difference is in zone design, some game mechanics, and who is allowed into a zone instance.  If GW zones worked like EQ2 where everyone got put into the same zone and then new zones got cloned at 50 people and if the zones were made not to be dungeon crawls but more of place you couldrun around with spotty encounters placed all over.  Then suddenly GW would be extremely hard to disntinguish between a "real" MMORPG like EQ2.  But the fact that almost all zones are dungeon crawls and not spotty encounter zones and that only your party goes into the zone make a huge difference.  Even though that may sound like not a big change it is huge and is really what makes people say its not an MMORPG.  And this is what Anet wanted they purposely declined to make their zones this way and understood that this was the key difference and so very early got out in front of people and called it a CORPG.

The thing is most people do not really even understand why they think it isn't an MMORPG.  And the reasons have nothing really to do with the word of the acronym.  Its a rather pointless and subjective distinction.  The important thing to understand is the gate keeping policy and the zone design and then the differences become quite clear and rather simple.   First PVE socially, GW is not interactive it is cooperative.  You do not stick a bunch of random people together in a zone.  You only ever stick a cooperative team together.  Second you will be fighting.  That is the whole point of the game.  Everything else is secondary and it has no interest in much world simulation stuff.  Personally  I would love GW to have more outdoor zones that are wide open explroing type zones with spotty encotuners, but there are only a few of those and its not really the point of the game.  Its basically a team based dungeon crawl/pvp instance game, with some fluff.
  • IainatorIainator Member Posts: 55

If you're going to buy GW, Make sure you have a friend with you.

Comming from WoW, I found GW sadly, very disapointing. The 'grind' in WoW takes you to all manner of strange and new places (well, not really, but at least new zones). In GW, making a PvE character, you'll have to "Grind" the same zones (or, "Missions", as some of the zones are called) over and over again. (well not so much at the begining, but very much so later on).

If you played WoW as a crafter, or a PvE-er, or a trader, or an AH-er, or a raider, or a Night Elf Jump spammer. Then GW is not for you.

Although the PvP is quite nice.

Playing - --
    Played - AO, CoH/CoV, DDO, Eve, Guildwars, LOTRO, WoW.
    Waiting - For WAR, Fury.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    cant even be compared. tbh i cant call gw a mmorpg.