Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta so far

magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

Well, i was accepted into beta phase 1 and have been playing it nearly non stop so far. I must say this game, thus far, is simply amazing. So much detail and thought went into it, its in astounding shape for phase 1. I've had one crash so far and reported a few minor bugs. Which is less then a lot of games i've played at launch.

There are a few things i really like so far. One is the environment. Simply put: breath taking. The way the terrain flows into rivers, and trees look like they grew there, rather then just being thrown on the side of a hill is a really nice touch. The ambient life adds so much depth it can't be explained. Birds swoop around in the sky, dart down onto lake surfaces and back up. Fireflies float above cat tails growing on the lake shore. Barnacles have grown on the side of sunken ships, deer and rabbits bounce around... I could go on for days but you get the idea. The environment has that classic warcraft feel and is simply enthralling.

Combat. Yes, combat. Its very immersive compared to say, EQ or DAoC. Each class is different and have a different pool from which to perform their various moves and styles. Rogues have energy and build up powerful moves by performing combo's. The combo points add up and you can do an amazingly powerful finishing move depending on how many combo points were put into it. Warriors use rage, that builds as they do damage... until it builds up high enough to perform devastating attacks. They also have combat stances they can go into that affects what techniques they can perform.

The quest system is very nice. A bright yellow exclamation point alerts you when someone has an available quest, and the rewards are actually useful. Some award an amazing amount of xp, one such quest took me nearly from the beginning of level 7 to a few kills from 8..

So far, this game has really impressed me. Although it has a long ways to go before launch. I mean, some of the detail is just genious. One of my favorite is when you use the say channel, you actually motion as you talk. It even changes your motions depending on your punctuation. If you say "Stop!" your character will flail his arms around excitedly. If you put "Huh?" you're character shrugs his shoulders... clever i think.

So there's my useless information post. Just thought i'd post a little bit for all the mmorpg.com people, even though its probably all been said before elsewhere.

edit: typos and what not

"Trenchcoats and guns go together like peanut butter and jelly"

Comments

• OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015
    Have you tried the Warlock class yet? That's what I am planning to be.

"Let me see if understand you... If I put my sword down and you put your rock down, we'll kill each other like civilized people?"

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW

• magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

Yeah, actually i started a gnome warlock today. Had fun shooting shadowy bolts at mobs. Did a quest for my first pet, an imp, took a while but he's a nifty little devil. He's all black, kind of shadowy with fire engulfing his entire body. He leaves little fiery footsteps wherever he goes. :)
    I hear they're quite a powerful class as well, at least currently compared to mages who need some fixing.

• OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015
    That's cool, from what I've heard they are a fun class. To me they sound like a cool hybrid class.

"Let me see if understand you... If I put my sword down and you put your rock down, we'll kill each other like civilized people?"

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW

• MrViceMrVice Member Posts: 197

Thanks for the Report Magik, it's good to know with all you recent success you haven't forgotten your poor buddies here at MMORPG.com.  Looks like I don't have to kill you and take your account after all image.

Vice Man

• clothosclothos Member Posts: 19

Tried hunter at all? Im thinking troll hunter maybe, definetly troll though, heh.

• AsgardAsgard Member Posts: 11

The hunter (and the druid) isnt out yet.

Nice post. The game will be amazing.

• ApocApoc Member Posts: 11

I can't wait to play this game! It is so awsome just to look at screenshots!

As Asgard said, the hunter is available yet but its the class i've been looking forward to the most. While wandering around the world i've come across the hunter pet trainers and they look quite impressive. They're just larger and more ferocious versions of the normal wolves and spiders walking around but... wow... they're vicious. So far for tameable creatures i've seen boar, wolf, bear, spider, raptor and fleshripper (think flying cockatrice type bird). I believe there is a few more as well.

• viet_boy33viet_boy33 Member Posts: 395
    Man I can't wait till they send out phase 2 betas then I get to play. Also im going to be warlock for first because of the cool pets.

I want to cast magic missle.
    http://www.flashplayer.com/animation/8bitdnd.html

http://www.narutofan.com go there for Naruto episodes!!

• clothosclothos Member Posts: 19

sounds good to me, thanks for the info

• bukshotbukshot Member Posts: 277
    I wish I got in!imageimageimage

-=BuKsHoT=-

• DraciusDracius Member Posts: 379

Many many thanx for the post magic_fx.

Be sure to keep up with the updates. They're most appreciated. It's good to know that most of the stuff they'd made me hope will be in the game, is as good as I dreamed it would be. Mainly the ambient life. I'm curious though, is there good ambient music that kicks on frequently? I hate quiet games with no ambient sounds-music-life. Glad to hear WoW has that department taken care of.

again, ty ty for the info. =)

-------------
    With every post I lose just a little bit more of my sanity.

Peace,

Dracius
    -------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dracius-Saberi-Static
    "With every post, I lose just a little bit more of my sanity." -Dracius

The ambient music seems a bit lacking, to be honest. Although i'll admit i didn't pay the closest attention to it, what is in is amazing quality though. Very well composed and matches the area you're in quite well.

• AsgardAsgard Member Posts: 11
    They already have..

• GnarledGnarled Member Posts: 566
    Nice synopsis. But if you guys are really starving for beta details go to the official beta forums. You can't post but there is a heck of a lot of info happening there.

A fronte precipitium a tergo lupi

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak