Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

system requirements

I am wondering what the system requirements will be. I know lots of people that can play WoW on low end systems. Many people will be reluctant to get War, if they need to upgrade to an expensive gaming rig just to play.

Comments

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466

That's a concern I've has as well.  My computer can handle WoW, but in busy areas it still crawls.  I was pretty hopeful that WAR was going to follow that kind of strategy, but seeing the game play videos has me really concerned.  Hopefully, like most games, WAR will at some point post both the recommended and minimum system reqs. 

Also, I do know for the fact that one of WoWs big pluses is the ability to play their game on many computers.  I know a lot of people (including myself) also like the cartoony look.  I'm hoping that by the time WAR comes out I will have the hardware to run it.

If not I may turn to a life of crime. image

• asupermaneasupermane Member Posts: 682

heres a simple break down.

Get bout 1gb of ram
    a 256mb video card.

and just have a halfway decent processor.

amd 3000+

intel 2.4ghz +

and u should be ok

anything better then that would be awesome.

• sealgairsealgair Member Posts: 8

Even that might not do it these days.  I am running all those specs + a litte more and I still lag at times in WoW.

Nvidia 8800 if you can afford it ($600) SLI x 2 and 4 gigs of ram, dual core 2.66+ is what you want for the next year or two to hold you. 

• valo_666valo_666 Member Posts: 74
    Hah, Sealgair, that's rediculous...what a waste of money that would be. You're not going to need that much ram for years and when you actually do it will be much cheaper than it is now. And as for the graphics card, i ran eq2 perfectly with a gforce 6600 and a gig of ddr ram. this game will run perfectly with a gig of ram and a decent card. even with 512 ddr it should run fine if backed up by a good graphics card. As for the processor, you just need an intel with 2.5, preforably 3.0 ghz, and most comps come standard with that now so it shouldn't be a problem.

• linuxgamerlinuxgamer Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by asupermane

Get bout 1gb of ram
    a 256mb video card. and just have a halfway decent processor. amd 3000+ intel 2.4ghz + and u should be ok   anything better then that would be awesome.

I have a Geforce 5600 with 256MB video RAM. It won't play NWN2, due to pixel shader 3 being required, even with updated drivers. My point is, if they are expecting a huge subscriber base, they will need to have much lower requirements that those you listed.

My friends play on 1.5-2.0Ghz comps, 256-512MB RAM, 128MB Video Cards.

With 100+ people doing RvR, most people will probably need to buy new comps just to play this game. This in turn means fewer subscribers.

• linuxgamerlinuxgamer Member Posts: 126
    Another point to add, Direct X 10 is not being made for Windows XP. I wonder if Vista will be a requirement to play.

• Big_ScooterBig_Scooter Member Posts: 14
    Don't worry about DX10 being required for this game.  It won't be. 

They would pretty much be shooting themselves in the foot to require a new operating system that won't have been out a year yet, assuming MS actually puts it out on time.  I personally think that WAR will run on fairly low system requirements (albeit slowly), because otherwise they will have a hard time dragging people away from WoW.

Also, while the graphics are attractive, they don't appear to be any huge leap foreward as such things go.

• paravionparavion Member Posts: 422
    arggghhh...so what are the requirements? my computer can run wow except i get some lag at ogrimmar at times...
  • Big_ScooterBig_Scooter Member Posts: 14
    My initial impression is that if you can run WoW more or less flawlessly, you can probably play WAR at low to average settings.  I could be wrong though.

• Originally posted by linuxgamer
    Originally posted by asupermane

Get bout 1gb of ram
    a 256mb video card. and just have a halfway decent processor. amd 3000+ intel 2.4ghz + and u should be ok   anything better then that would be awesome.
    I have a Geforce 5600 with 256MB video RAM. It won't play NWN2, due to pixel shader 3 being required, even with updated drivers. My point is, if they are expecting a huge subscriber base, they will need to have much lower requirements that those you listed.

My friends play on 1.5-2.0Ghz comps, 256-512MB RAM, 128MB Video Cards.

With 100+ people doing RvR, most people will probably need to buy new comps just to play this game. This in turn means fewer subscribers.

Errr about the NWN2 thing, it doesn't require pixel shader 3, I run it fine with a Radeon x800XL (shader 2b); though for how well it looks, the low frames per second are puzzling.

But in regards to the OP, I think it needs to be taken into consideration how far away we are from launch.  A bit under a year, or maybe even year+?  With Vista coming out, so will AMD/ATI's R600 (between jan/feb I believe?); which like the GeForce 8800 will push the graphic capabilities of PCs to a new level (as well as lowering the prices of other cards).  By the time WAR comes out, the standards of graphic quality will increase I'm betting.  I think it's too early to call on what the requirements will be, but I'm willing to bet they will keep the minimum as low as possible, for cranked settings, who knows.