Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO is ok at best.

Comments

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    "If you actually bother reading the Fellowship of the Ring, you'd
    understand there are many, many evil forces at work that Aragorn and
    the rangers had long since been fighting to keep the Shire, and other
    lands safe from harm. With them gone, who will guard these lands? We
    can!"

"The time they chose was an excellent choice. Take a step back, and
    realize that there's much more going on in the background than just the
    Fellowship's story in the books."

You just summed up why I
    think the game will not be great. We get to be in the background? Wow,
    gee-wiz. Do we change the outcome of the story by our actions? No. We
    are tourist. We get to run around a small bit of the world of Tolkien.
    We get to meet a few of the stars. We are underlings, yay. I guess that
    means since WE are guardianing the shire, Saruman and Wormtongue won't
    be there to greet Frodo?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Settingsun
    "You just summed up why I think the game will not be great. We get to be in the background? Wow, gee-wiz. Do we change the outcome of the story by our actions? No. We are tourist. We get to run around a small bit of the world of Tolkien. We get to meet a few of the stars. We are underlings, yay. I guess that means since WE are guardianing the shire, Saruman and Wormtongue won't be there to greet Frodo?

You just summed up why it is multiplayer and not a single player game. It would be impossible for everyone to affect the game unless everyone had their own instanced storyline all the way through. You think there is room for several hundred thousand or a few million people in the fore ground ? Maybe you envision the game where you make 60 then Turbine announces that Settingsun killed Saruman now we can shut the servers down and everyone can go home? Go play battle for middle earth, MMORPG's may not be your style. The rest of us cvan explore the areas we read about in the books and kill some wargs and orcs, do some quests and craft some items and be happy.

Anyway the game does not have to be great, it just has to be fun.  A good polished MMORPG is all I want, and if the PvM is half as much fun as DAoC's RvR was this game will be the best of 2007. 

As much as the pseudo elitists like to slam WoW it got one thing right, it was fun as heck 1- 60 and that is all Turbine has to accomplish to get subscribers. These are games not works of art, nor do they substitute a life. They are merely diversions for a couple of hours each day for most of us. 

I miss DAoC

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Originally posted by Jackdog

"You just summed up why I think the game will not be great. We get to be in the background? Wow, gee-wiz. Do we change the outcome of the story by our actions? No. We are tourist. We get to run around a small bit of the world of Tolkien. We get to meet a few of the stars. We are underlings, yay. I guess that means since WE are guardianing the shire, Saruman and Wormtongue won't be there to greet Frodo?

You just summed up why it is multiplayer and not a single player game. It would be impossible for everyone to affect the game unless everyone had their own instanced storyline all the way through. You think there is room for several hundred thousand or a few million people in the fore ground ? Maybe you envision the game where you make 60 then Turbine announces that Settingsun killed Saruman now we can shut the servers down and everyone can go home? Go play battle for middle earth, MMORPG's may not be your style. The rest of us cvan explore the areas we read about in the books and kill some wargs and orcs, do some quests and craft some items and be happy.

Anyway the game does not have to be great, it just has to be fun.  A good polished MMORPG is all I want, and if the PvM is half as much fun as DAoC's RvR was this game will be the best of 2007. 

As much as the pseudo elitists like to slam WoW it got one thing right, it was fun as heck 1- 60 and that is all Turbine has to accomplish to get subscribers. These are games not works of art, nor do they substitute a life. They are merely diversions for a couple of hours each day for most of us. 

The game isnt fun from 1-60 from what i saw. WoW's quests are somewhat clever and properly introduce yu to other aspects of the game like abilities and different lands. LOTR doesnt do an of that. Its just one boring kill quest after another.

The towns are barren except for people running in to turn a quest in for the next one. The buildings themselves are closed off and merely decoration. You wont be joining friends for a pint and a song in any taverns. This game has no social aspects at all. Just a really bad boring clunker that turbine should be ashamed of

Originally posted by admriker4

The game isnt fun from 1-60 from what i saw. WoW's quests are somewhat clever and properly introduce yu to other aspects of the game like abilities and different lands. LOTR doesnt do an of that. Its just one boring kill quest after another.

The towns are barren except for people running in to turn a quest in for the next one. The buildings themselves are closed off and merely decoration. You wont be joining friends for a pint and a song in any taverns. This game has no social aspects at all. Just a really bad boring clunker that turbine should be ashamed of

Anyone who saw any of the E3 coverage knows better than that, so l you have just proved you know absolutly nothing about the game. Sounds like you are describing another game due out the first quarter of next year whose name needs not be mentioned :) 

I miss DAoC

Im not familiar with the video your referring to but I can easily guess what you saw.
    There is an opening sequence with a quest in LOTR. You get sorta a cinematic show tied in with a quest that introduces you to LOTR. It lasts about 3 minutes and takes another 2 minutes of killing some stuff to complete. Its cool to watch but if thats all you ever saw you would be sorely misled. The rest of the game, 99% of it is NOTHING like that.
    Thats it, thats the whole thing. And then your tossed into a generic bland town. None of those buildings can be entered except one and even then you have to wait for a load screen.
    Then you get to accept quests that have nothing to do with LOTR lore. Its a generic series of quests that ask you to kill 5 boars, collect 10 piles of wood, kill 5 robbers, etc. And when your done with those, you move onto the next town and repeat the same boring quests.
    The video wont show you how small the world is. Take one continent of WoW, cut it in half and thats your whole gaming world. I considered WoW too small so LOTR is plain ridiculously too little.
    Some have posted that a video (assuming its the same one) showing combat looked pretty boring. Theyre dead right, combat is just awful. Its boring and bland just like the rest of the game.
    Ah th heck with it, I thought Id try and save a few some money but some people will cling to any hope. I recall others doing the same thing despite people warning them. That game was Dark and Light.
    Just remember, you were warned.

I was referring more to preview articles by various game sites. There are a ton of them you can find by Googling E3 LoTRO. Here is a more recent articl by Dana

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setview/features/gameID/45/loadFeature/972

doing a search on your name reaveals 50 posts, none of which were on D& L and if you were posting there underanother handle my name should be really familiar to you.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by SignusM
    You are actually pretty
    significant to the plot, as the tutorial will show you right off the
    bat. It IS the Shadows of Angmar, so you ARE stopping an invasion by
    the Witch King (I assume)

What are you talking about? The starter quest has been mentioned a good
    bit. You are just unlocking a movie clip. Can you fail in that quest?
    So what you are saying is without us, the ring quest would have failed
    the the books would have ended very differently?

Just re-reading the preview article I linked above, it seems the reviewer found th game extremely addicting if not overly innovative. Of course he mentioned nothing about the monster play, that should give the game a lot of extra zest right there.

I miss DAoC

• sylum69sylum69 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Y'know, for a game that's only been in beta for about two weeks a lot of people are already writing it off as a failure. And now it looks like the release date has been change to 2nd quarter - I guarantee that the game that's released will be vastly better/different than it is now - Sure it has its flaws, but it has strengths too.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by sylum69
    Y'know, for a game that's only been in beta for about two weeks a lot of people are already writing it off as a failure. And now it looks like the release date has been change to 2nd quarter - I guarantee that the game that's released will be vastly better/different than it is now - Sure it has its flaws, but it has strengths too.

The problem is that people are forgetting that not only is this Beta but it is a real Beta. From what I understand, Turbine is making many changes in a Beta that is going to be going on for quite some time. This is not like ARchlord Beta where you played a few weeks or so and the game went live.

This is a horrible trend that I am seeing in playing Beta for online games. People think they are playing the game and are just using the beta as an excuse to see if they want to play it when it goes live. It's like MMO's have been invaded by 12 year olds. What the heck happened!!!image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Originally posted by SignusM
    You are actually pretty significant to the plot, as the tutorial will show you right off the bat. It IS the Shadows of Angmar, so you ARE stopping an invasion by the Witch King (I assume)
    What are you talking about? The starter quest has been mentioned a good bit. You are just unlocking a movie clip. Can you fail in that quest? So what you are saying is without us, the ring quest would have failed the the books would have ended very differently?

What kind of drugs are you on? There's no movie clip at all in the tutorial. And are you really supposed to be able to FAIL the TUTORIAL?

I can't talk about the tutorials for the other races(other than saying they are really fun(especially the Dwarf one, and especially for lore lovers)), but I can talk about the Man's tutorial. You start off in a cage, and a Dunedain ranger frees you. Then you come across a Baggins who is being threatened by a brigand. You save her and then have to put out the fire infront of you to get by. Rescue some more folk, blah blah, kill the brigand leader. Then you get to the main gate, and there's a Nazgul on his dark horse fighting the Dunedain. As he stabs him, the Nazgul turns to you and your entire screen goes nuts, with freakishly disturbed music playing. He starts coming towards you and then some wood collapses blocking the way. He screeches and rides off, promising to see you again.

The tutorial uncovers a bit of the story, and reminds you of other things happening. The Baggis hobbit had been taken by the Men, who mistook her for Frodo, and there's a bit more I CAN'T say that hints at an invasion from Angmar. So, yes, I am saying without the player, the story would have been different. The Ring may have been destroyed, but they woul d probubly have been no home to return to.

Do you mind explaining the movie scene comment? Because that baffles me.

As for the beta I think I am allowed to say that it's the cleanest beta I've ever been in. Hardly any bugs at all. That means theres just that much more time to implement more content, and they have done so. The game from Alpha, when I got in, to now, about 4 months, has been buffed up beyond belief. It just gets better every time there's a patch. The game world is huge, but there are a lot of boundries. You are kind of funnelled. This game was due to come out 3 years ago, and the more the push it back, the better it gets. Don't write it off on the first month of Beta. 

• Bai_KaiBai_Kai Member Posts: 23

I'm not sure where people are getting their information for this game, but some are really off track with their comments.

I would highly suggest that when possible folks should try out the game before criticizing it. Actually that goes for any game.

Many times I've found that I liked a game even though a friend hated it. That works the other way around too. Once the folk in beta are allowed to start giving out details we will actually find out what players think of the game. Until then It's like any other, I will just assume people are blowing smoke 'cause they got kicked out of beta or something in particular doesn't match exactly what they want.

Happy Holidays!

Aaah......
    the pain!!

"there's a Nazgul on his dark horse fighting the Dunedain. As he stabs
    him, the Nazgul turns to you and your entire screen goes nuts, with
    freakishly disturbed music playing. He starts coming towards you and
    then some wood collapses blocking the way. He screeches and rides off,
    promising to see you again."

That sounds like a movie clip to me. Can you attack the rider? Can you
    do anything? No? So you are basicly watching an event unfold. Events
    you unlocked by jumping through a few hoops.

Its my understanding (granted second hand knowledge) that all the story
    line events are like that. You watch. You can't fail. Or at worse you
    die jumping a hoop and have to run the event over again.

Sorry that's not my idea of LoTR. I loved the books. I liked the
    moives. If I am going to invest a lot of time to a LoTR mmo. I except
    it to be of the same quality as what has gone before. There are tons of
    'okay, decent, not awful," mmos out there. I want something better. I
    want to be a hero in the style of LotR. From Frodo to Aragorn to
    Theodred, these are hero's because they resisted falling, overcoming
    their inner demons and struggled to do what was right.

This game is about getting on a tour bus and seeing some of Middle
    Earth and meeting a few of the characters from the book. There is one
    story line. You can't branch off down different paths because of your
    actions.

Now maybe the game changes so much before going live that it adds all
    this in. However, I've seen enough mmos go live to have my doubts about
    this.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    I disagree with what some people are saying.  The part about making it pre-LOTR would be too alien to players and wouldn't sell as much.

You could do a lot of explaining.  Like who the 9 Kings of Men were that becamse Ring Wraiths, and who the Elven Kings were that had the rings, and who the dwarf Lords were that had rings.

Places like Moria would be sprawling cities, and would build on top of the lore established in LOTR.

Not to mention it would open the game up to be played by the evil races as well.  The Wild Men or the Orcs or Goblins or those people that road on the Huge elephants.

I think that once you get out of the LOTR timeline and look at the 1st and 2nd ages, you open up the possibilities for quests, adventure, armor and weapon designs, and playable races among other things.

Not to mention there's a ton of lore about various happenings that take place before the Third Age that would just make people more knowledgable about Tolkien's world. 

You'd still have Sauron, but in the 1st or 2nd age, if you were playing as an evil character you could explore Mordor.  Pass through the black gate, perhaps even experience parts of the battle that created the Dead Marshes.

Soooo much more possibilities than "Help Frodo destroy the ring."

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

I don't know. It might be no win no matter what. Even if they had set the game in the 1st age, then people would be yelling that its a mistake and that noone who just has a casual interest in Lotr will understand what's going on, etc.

The real question is has any game based on a hugely popular movie/novel done well as an mmo? SWG failed. It failed so bad it  went against the lore that was within the timeline, then rather than changing the timeline to match the new lore (lots of Jedi) they pretended nothing was different.

Matrix didn't cut it. Any others?

I don't know. It might be no win no matter what. Even if they had set the game in the 1st age, then people would be yelling that its a mistake and that noone who just has a casual interest in Lotr will understand what's going on, etc.

The real question is has any game based on a hugely popular movie/novel done well as an mmo? SWG failed. It failed so bad it  went against the lore that was within the timeline, then rather than changing the timeline to match the new lore (lots of Jedi) they pretended nothing was different.

Firdt time for everything my friend, I think this game is gonna be huge. Everything is pointing that way.  All they have toi do is make it a B+ game and people will be rolling in. At this point it does not even have to be an A+.

I miss DAoC

• BerndrBerndr Member Posts: 185

franksalbe  11/14/06 2:04:12 PM

Report this post

Select one
    Harassment
    Hate Related
    Pornography
    Illegal Activities
    Free Servers
    Spam
    Topic Hijacking
    Flaming
    Virtual Trading
    Other
    Trolling
    Explain why you are reporting this post: (750 characters max.)

Rank: 40/100 Rank: 40/100 Rank: 40/100 Rank: 40/100 Rank: 40/100

Apprentice Member

Let's stay focused people.

1. The time frame they choose to set the game in was a HORRIBLE pick. They have to limit content and the extent of accomplishment that can be done in game so that it doesnt interfere with the periods history.

Turbine should have been smarter they should have taking the game pre-LOTR era. as far back as the Simarillion timeframe when you had so much more going in the world. This was the time of high adventure. Not at the end of an era.

Or they should have taken it post-LOTR era. Where they would have free reigns once again to create new history. something like 30 years after the LOTR incidents would have been good. You could have all set out for fresh new adventures.

2. The fact that they actually took the time to make classes from the warrior and thief tree is down right silly. and the lore master ... LOL ok i wont even go there. Since you cant really do PVP in LOTRO it was perfect for a skill tree implimentation. This game could have so benefitted from a Skill Tree progression. This is one of the few games that because the story line hinders the use of standard PVP practice. We could have been given freedom to mix  and match skills as we see fit. You could still choose to follow a specific skill tree to earn a profession or become any mix of talents. I feel Turbine missed the ball on this one Big Time.

these 2 reasons alone make it ok at best. A WOW killer not even close. At best they might hit Eq2 numbers in terms of subs. I dont see them hitting the 1 million mark not time soon if at all. Which is kinda sad for such a large IP. sigh.

Faranthil Tanathalos

EverQuest 1 - Ranger (level 35)

Star Wars Galaxies - Master Ranger (Pre- CU)

Everquest2 - Ranger (level 30)

Although the levels of my character are low i have played each game for about a year each except EQ 2. I am a casual social gamer. I live for the experience of the community not leveling and thus my views come from this perspective

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turbine should have been smarter they should have taking the game pre-LOTR era. as far back as the Simarillion timeframe when you had so much more going in the world. This was the time of high adventure. Not at the end of an era.

Or they should have taken it post-LOTR era. Where they would have free reigns once again to create new history. something like 30 years after the LOTR incidents would have been good. You could have all set out for fresh new adventures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF you  did reed the book you would know that , post lotre era would suck for many reasons 

1. Ring has been destroyed and with it a magic has also died, other rings also lost their power,

2 because magic is dying Elf s have  left  middle earth , so nither you  have elfs in the game  nither spellcasters

3 . And if you choose not to follow the story line and lore then its not Lotre anymore it might  as well be any world with orcs , elves and dwarfs in it

4. if you remmember Arwen has been told by her father , that because magic was fading that if she stayed she will also become mortal and die

--

Firdt time for everything my friend, I think this game is gonna be huge. Everything is pointing that way.  All they have toi do is make it a B+ game and people will be rolling in. At this point it does not even have to be an A+.

dude you are the definition of a fanboi and are totally dillusional. This game wont be rolling with players. At best, LOTR will be lucky if it isnt a flop like Matrix or Face of Mankind. Those games hover around 10k accounts. My guess (and ive been playing mmo's since the very 1st one) is LOTR will end up with 50-75k at the very most. And those numbers are only because of the license. Hardcore fanbois like you even admit they'll play if the game is just okay cause you just want so badly to be in Middle Earth.

I grade LOTR a C- or  a D+. Who exactly besides folks like yourself do you think are going to play LOTR ?

SWG refugees certainly arent going to play LOTR. They want a world simulation open sandbox type of game. They want superior crafting with a player run economy. They want a massive world/galaxy to explore. LOTR has none of those features.

WoW players certainly arent going to play LOTR. They have a superior game plus an expansion coming out. Why would they leave WoW for a clone of it ?

EQ/EQ2 or DAoC type gamers arent going to be attracted to LOTR either. The game isnt sophisticated enough or hardcore enough for them. PvP in LOTR isnt any special and was more or less added in because there were numerous complaints when players found out it wasnt a feature in-game. Folks in these games arent going to like LOTR's pvp as its meaningless and pointless other than for ego.

So where do you think people are going to come from cause i cant fathom it. I play 3 MMO's currently, WoW, CoH, EVE, and sometimes im taking on a 4th for a free trial like currently with SWG. I have yet to hear a single person say goodbye or how they were leaving soon for LOTR. None of them are even aware LOTR exists. Its just not on anyone's radar and the few who have played it in beta warned everyone away quite quickly.

I expect LOTR will have the same success as DDO does, basically none. The name will only go so far dude, and from what I saw at E3 its a boring bad wow clone. There arent any guilds in any MMO's I play or follow that are talking or planning on moving to LOTR.

"there's a Nazgul on his dark horse fighting the Dunedain. As he stabs him, the Nazgul turns to you and your entire screen goes nuts, with freakishly disturbed music playing. He starts coming towards you and then some wood collapses blocking the way. He screeches and rides off, promising to see you again."

That sounds like a movie clip to me. Can you attack the rider? Can you do anything? No? So you are basicly watching an event unfold. Events you unlocked by jumping through a few hoops.

Its my understanding (granted second hand knowledge) that all the story line events are like that. You watch. You can't fail. Or at worse you die jumping a hoop and have to run the event over again.

Sorry that's not my idea of LoTR. I loved the books. I liked the moives. If I am going to invest a lot of time to a LoTR mmo. I except it to be of the same quality as what has gone before. There are tons of 'okay, decent, not awful," mmos out there. I want something better. I want to be a hero in the style of LotR. From Frodo to Aragorn to Theodred, these are hero's because they resisted falling, overcoming their inner demons and struggled to do what was right.

This game is about getting on a tour bus and seeing some of Middle Earth and meeting a few of the characters from the book. There is one story line. You can't branch off down different paths because of your actions.

Now maybe the game changes so much before going live that it adds all this in. However, I've seen enough mmos go live to have my doubts about this.

I played the game at E3 and saw that sequence your referring to. To answer your question, no you cant attack the Nasgul. You cant do anything, its basically just watch a video clip.

And after that opening sequence, the quests are basic go kill 5 wolves and collect 10 piles of wood garbage.

I too had high hopes for this game. I waited in line for a chance to demo it at E3 for 3 hours before I got my chance. And afterwords, I got a chance to see the devs do a demo of some features. After chatting with others who played, we all agreed th game is a waste of money and time.

It's just killing you that this is a great game isn't it LOL. Thats OK keep up withyour troll posts. You are just going to look like that much more of a fool when the the reports keep rolling in :)

I have a ton more faith in articles such as these than anything an anonymous poster such as yourself can post

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setview/features/gameID/45/loadFeature/972

I miss DAoC

• vanidorvanidor Member Posts: 32
    The era they set it in is fine.  I am sure they will even have to alter names and so on to make the world fit a mmo environment.  Perhaps even alter the map to fill in the blanks  I mean Tolkien only gave so much information to work with.
  • phanatxphanatx Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Yah? well people said that the US would never be attacked, and 9-11 happened.. don't believe everything you hear.. especially on these forums..

that means both the good AND bad.. wait for it to come off NDA, and I'm sure we will get a better picture of what its like.. until then, all you can do is posture, and read posts from people who SAY they are in the BETA.. but who is to say they aren't lying?

GIve it time to hit Open Beta - then try it.. thats the best way to find out how good/bad it is.
  • brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    WoW version 2, but doesn't even come close to being fun.

I'm sure all you sheep will buy it just like morons bought Dark and Light after being warned.
  • RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638
    Originally posted by matraque

Someone told me the game sucks BIG TIME.  It's gonna do exactly like SWG fail.

I put my money on Vanguard.

What one person likes or dislikes doesn't form my opinion.

If I based all my decisions on other people's opinion then I'd be missing out on a lot in life.

• ImTheDoctorImTheDoctor Member Posts: 27
    I agree, I've been wanting to play lotro ever since I first found the web-site (over a year ago) I'm not going to just decide to not play because someone says they don't like it. If everyone listened to other peoples opinions even WOW might not have people playing.

Future Alliance Leader in the Upcoming MMO StarGate Worlds

Originally posted by ImTheDoctor

I agree, I've been wanting to play lotro ever since I first found the web-site (over a year ago) I'm not going to just decide to not play because someone says they don't like it. If everyone listened to other peoples opinions even WOW might not have people playing.

I guess that explains why people were stupid enough to try Dark and Light, Matrix, Face of Mankind, Roma Victor, and Auto Assault.

If folks would stop wasting $50 on a game when thousands warn you it sucks perhaps developers would make decent games. I get the feeling that companies like Turbine arent interested in long-term appeal but rather a quick dollar.

• NetherbeastNetherbeast Member Posts: 55
    I don't care much for the LotR or Middle Earth. But as far as some of the complaints, they are not all based in fact. The Devs have said there is a story progression though at least most of the first book. Beta has added new new lands and the world will expand with each book.

All intellectual properties suffer the same problem: you can't be the hero. If you set any game during a movie or book timeline, you are extra, no matter how good the game is. So what's a game to do? Create another threat. Develop other stories. There are 4 playable races right? Maybe each race has a threat to their lands that isn't even in the books. After becoming the savior of their lands, they begin to uncover information about the war of the ring which was the casue of all their problems at home.

Having started to get this information the players can be the ones who helped the main characters. Strider was one of the rangers who had a network. All kinds of strange stuff was starting to happen when Frodo got the ring and the rangers needed help and information. What about the Nazgul and Witch King? They werent seen much but they were around. Have players find out what they are doing like in that starting camp someone mentioned. Then when players encounter threats not seen in the books/movies, they can feel some sort of accomplishment that they interrupted the Nazgul's plans, perhaps the reason they didn't hound the fellowship so much is because YOU got in their way.

It would be nice to see parts of the Hobbit or Similarion. Dwarves and Elves are long lived right?

Give a man fire and he''s warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he''s warm the rest of his life.