Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning and thread deleted

elvigyelvigy Member CommonPosts: 249

No one ever seems to answer the posts in this forum, but what the heck, I'll ask anyway. I got a warning for calling someone stupid and telling them to get an education, which is fine. What I'm a little confused on is that the entire thread was deleted.

I did not know that threads were deleted around here. It actually was a pretty good discussion, though it did get heated obviously. But some good points were made and it seem overreacting to me to delete an entire thread because someone was called stupid.

So my question is, where is the guide to what is allowed to be discussed and what is verboten? I've seen plenty of threads that were simply locked that were way more nasty than the one that I was posting in. image

Comments

• 3L1TE3L1TE Member Posts: 167

There was a forum rollback and it deleted 4 - 5 days do you think that could have caused it.?

It was about 2 days ago that 4 - 5 days got deleted if i get what one of the staff members said. :P

I Don't think they "Delete" topics unless there racism or a lot of swearing in them.

----------------------------EDIT-----------------------------------------
    I found that the real date to which we rolled back is this date Dec 9, 2006

:P i hope this helps

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • elvigyelvigy Member CommonPosts: 249

Thanks-but it wasn't the rollback. This thread was after that.

And I see the rules about conduct, but from the way I read that only the posts containing the offensive comments ("stupid" in this case) would have been deleted. But the entire thread was deleted. All four pages of it.

I don't care all that much, but was wondering because if they are going to delete entire threads, I'm not going to bother posting in those ones. So I wondered what subjects I should avoid.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I guess there is a first for everything, but as far as I can tell, they delete post and lock thread.  I never recall seeing them actually deleting a thread.  (I would start with the mod who give you a warning since he is likely to know, if his answer displease you feel free to go higher up, but that is a double bladed thing, angering a staff member must be done only if you can't do otherwise)

It is possible they change policy, they just change the server look.  But I am doubtful.  You should have send a tell to a member of the staff, so they can check it out.

Also, not each staff member react exactly the same, they are humans.  Don't be afraid to do like a kid, if mom say no, ask dad!  Now we have like 10 mods to switch from, and they all answer to Admin and/or Lepi (Lepi is a guess, but he seem to have more responsabilities).  Now, be careful not to swarm either, admin is obviously delegating duties to other, so don't go to admin just because you want to win a point, but if you feel wronged, then you have no shame to go all the way up.  Just don't do it for no reason, because you will end up with less credibility.  I personnally go all the way up way too fast, but heck, I know my mistakes and may try to make other do better than me; I guess it is part of my self-inflated ego.  image  Admin should be the last option, the ultimate Sword of Damocles if you can't do otherwise.  (well, this is what I am aware off, I may be wrong, the hierarchy might be otherwise, for all we know Paratrooper might be the real boss hidding as a mod who is fighting to get notice, so I wouldn't discard talking with any mod you feel comfortable with as they all know how the hierarchy work and they can refer to who they have to, even if you have no idea to who they refer)

It is not impossible that 1 member of the staff is doing weird stuff, don't blame the site if this happen, report him to his superior/other staff.  Now, I didn't know what your topic was about and I have no idea to tell you anything about it.  But you should feel free to use to report option as needed, and if you feel someone is more worthy, instead of reporting them you can try to make them learn.  See, you prolly where reported.  But reporting a fellow user is definitely not the first action to do.  I do it when I am really angry or when my previous try to make the person reasonable fail.  I will admit that if the topic is about raiding, I tend to get angry fast!  image

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• 3L1TE3L1TE Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by elvigy
    Thanks-but it wasn't the rollback. This thread was after that.
    And I see the rules about conduct, but from the way I read that only the posts containing the offensive comments ("stupid" in this case) would have been deleted. But the entire thread was deleted. All four pages of it.
    I don't care all that much, but was wondering because if they are going to delete entire threads, I'm not going to bother posting in those ones. So I wondered what subjects I should avoid.

About 2 days ago we had a rollback to December 5th not on Dec.5.2006 the forum was rolled backed thats the actual date that it was rolled back to :P

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961

Originally posted by Anofalye

I guess there is a first for everything, but as far as I can tell, they delete post and lock thread.  I never recall seeing them actually deleting a thread. 
    Also, not each staff member react exactly the same, they are humans.  Don't be afraid to do like a kid, if mom say no, ask dad!  Now we have like 10 mods to switch from, and they all answer to Admin and/or Lepi (Lepi is a guess, but he seem to have more responsabilities).  (well, this is what I am aware off, I may be wrong, the hierarchy might be otherwise, for all we know Paratrooper might be the real boss hidding as a mod who is fighting to get notice, so I wouldn't discard talking with any mod you feel comfortable with as they all know how the hierarchy work and they can refer to who they have to, even if you have no idea to who they refer)

It really does depend on a few things. If the offending post was the first post in a thread the deletion button for that 1st post will delete the whole thread. It does depend on who the mod is a bit as to the choice between lock and deletion. Personally for the majority of the time I will delete a thread if it's breaking the RoC from pretty much the start. On the occasions where there is something worth keeping and is only being dealt with as it's taken a major turn for the worse I'll usually delete the bad posts and lock it. But we actually do delete a fair few threads everyday.

As for going up the chain. Dana is leaving/has left (not too sure the exact date that’s happening sorry) But that doesn't matter too much anyway as he didn't get involved that much as far as im aware with mods. You should probably have a chat to Jon first ([email protected]) and depending on how that goes Craig ([email protected]). You'll probably find that you will get a faster response from Craig as Jon seems to be quite busy lately especially with Dana's moving on.

And no i'm not "the real boss hiding as a mod" lol. But I'm quite happy to look into things for people and regularly do.

Now onto the OP and that thread. As you agreed the post did deserve a warning. As for the thread... well being about sexuality even before reading it I knew there was going to be a problem. It would have been deleted as it was starting to get pretty bad and people were breaking the RoC. I might have let it keep going for a while and see what happened but as was mentioned by Anofalye we don't all react the same way. Bit of a pitty really because the original topic of that thread was worth discussing.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• elvigyelvigy Member CommonPosts: 249
    Meh, I'm not pursuing it any further. Kinda lost interest in the whole thing. But yeah, pity it got off on the wrong track with all the child molestation crap. C'est la vie.