Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

compressing pictures

SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

I have the following picture programs

1) Paint

2) Finepix

3) ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 7.0

I have a bunch of pictures i need to compress so they take up less space...any way I can do this would help

(it's for an underground school website)

Comments

• GundamitGundamit Member Posts: 268
    Use photoshop to save you bmp file to jpg. other than that only thing left is winzip them. And that only takes a little more off.

http://www.sittingduckradio.com - Best music on the Internet
    Betas I'm in at the moment
    Freeworld (Alpha)
    City of Heroes (Waiting on Pre order E-mail)
    The Saga of Ryzom (Waiting on E-mail)
    Lineage 2

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Well... it takes a bit of familiarity w/ photoshop to make pictures small.

Just last week I made a picture that was 2.44mb into a 31k JPG for a friend's homepage.
    There are different ways to do it for different pictures, wich is why I said it takes familiarity.

Go to "Save For Web" and if it's just a simple picture w/ only a few colors, youre best bet would be to save it as a Gif. If it is a detailed pic w/ lots of colors, such as a photograph... save it as JPG. W/ JPG there are different settings for quality to get the file smaller. You're definitally not going to have a 100% Quality 800x600 pic be anything under 1mb but a pic like that can actually be set at 0 Quality and it will still look pretty good....... hardly even noticable. Just play around in "SAVE FOR WEB" in photoshop and you will find a way to save your files the size you want. The size of the output file will be displayed at the bottom of the window for you.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

using photoshop to compress pic is very easy, open the pic you want to make smaller most pic formats you open just go to save it again and youll get a 1-10 quality scale you can save it as i usually do mine at level 6-7

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

alrighty, i got it , thanks

but now yahoo is saying "Please specify a valid file name to upload"

and it says jpeg or gif

and im using jpeg...

waht's wrong!?

• MaximaneMaximane Member CommonPosts: 625

Make sure that the name consists of only of letters, numbers, hyphen, and underscores. Also try to keep the file name short. Webhosts such as Yahoo and Tripod have problems with non run-of-the-mill file names.

Please note that the more you save a JPEG the more its visual quality deteriorates - just FYI!

--------------------
    Alex "Maximane" De Line
    [email protected]
    - MMORPG.COM Staff -

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

awesome, worked

thanks

• TallonXTallonX Member Posts: 364
    Good luck with ur little project lol

~I am going to rule the world someday, I promiseness :D~