Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG NO HOLOS?!?!

::::11:: I am really pissed off right now.......theres a rumor going on that there will no longer be holocrons on swg which is really the whole point of the game...now you will have to do missions for NPC jedis....i know it will now become alot easyer to become a jedi but not it will be harder to get credits in the game.....ugh::::26::

Big Baller

Comments

• HemKhanHemKhan Member Posts: 231
    It's SOE, of course they are gonna screw up every game they have made one way or another, this is just there way to say, "Haha stupid customers, how about we just let everyone become a jedi and make you all poor and have to grind and mission all day, muahahaha."

• SumerNivekSumerNivek Member Posts: 57

Yeah, it seems like they are going to do a quest system to become a Jedi.  Frankly, I like that better, as I hate collecting holocrons and having to grind a profession.  I haven't completed one holocron because I hate the profession grind so much. 

Sumer Nivek

MMORPGs played: Ultima Online, World War II Online, Star Wars Galaxies...

Currently waiting for City of Heros and World of Warcraft.

Sumer Nivek

MMORPGs played: Ultima Online, World War II Online, Star Wars Galaxies, and City of Heros...

Currently waiting for World of Warcraft.

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

That would be one of the best things to happen to that game in a very long time.

Holocrons were the proverbial nail in the coffin for a lot of people.  Especially for me.

--------------------------------------------
    Frodo has failed. Bush has The Ring.

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I am on my silent holo, grinded 19 professions so far and pretty much burnt out, getting my character to her final template and dropping the jedi grind..just not worth the time and effort..Going to be trying new games when they start to come out anyway

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

many people dont feel like the problem is that they're taking the holos away, but that they were implemented in the first place.

they really took a large percentage of the player base away from playing. this will cause lots of problems in the beginning, but in the endm doing away with the holo to grind method of unlocking the slot will make the game more interesting, and keep players involed in the actual game, instead of racing for the endgame.

i know these types of decisions are what WOULD bring me back to try swg again......if there wasn't a crop of great games on the horizon.

if nothing else, if this wave of games fails to deliver, maybe these kinds of moves swg is making now will make their game a livable alternative:)

Flon Gerg

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• TheThrillerTheThriller Member Posts: 186
    Holo Schmalo, tell ya the truth i aint much for jedi. But still, why would it now be easier to become jedi. I'm sure they would be takin holos away to make it harder....

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
    --Jack Handy

• bballermc333bballermc333 Member Posts: 283

I dont think you know what yall are talking about.....this is gonna be way worse that befor. you know what you will have to do?!?!?!

-lets say you have a dilverer mission.....the item you have to diliver you will have to make with a sertin skill/but you will have to master that skill
    -lets say you have a destroying missition you will have to kill something with a scertin skill and u will have to have that skill mastered.

as you can see this will take alot more time and money to do so if you think its gonna be good that they changed it your way wrong.....the reason they did this is because there are too many people complaining with the unknown skill, witch i dont see why because 90% of the time its a entertainer or a skill that you can macro if you have not yet had one on ur holos

but if you all saying this is gonna be easyer would stop for a second you would realize how hard this will be.

Big Baller ::::26::

we're not wrong, we would just be playing the game for other reasons than to be a jedi.

try knights of the old republic:)

Flon Gerg

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232
    Hologrinding sucked. It ruined the game and a whole lot of great characters. That game needs a LOT of work and a million jedi running around aint making it any better.

"we're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs....drink up me hearties yo ho"

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• FuzzyVikingFuzzyViking Member Posts: 7

Yeah, they finally woke up and decided they will remove the most unfun, game breaking piece of crap ever conceived in SWG : Holocrons

They messed up the economy, caused massive burnout, reduced the respect for professions and caused the worst epidemic of macroing so far in SWG.

Good riddance.

• bballermc333bballermc333 Member Posts: 283

Ok look at it this way there will probibly not be another jedi for a long time

thank goodness!

Flon Gerg

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Entertainers had no chance of getting HoloCONS.  Do you realize how many haircuts a Master Image Designer would have to give to afford the absurd prices people were charging for HoloCONS?

They needed to get Jedi in the game for Christmas season to push more boxes for the holidays.  HoloCONS achieved that.  Now it's time for them to go away.  That still won't bring me back though.

--------------------------------------------
    Frodo has failed. Bush has The Ring.

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by HemKhan
    It's SOE, of course they are gonna screw up every game they have made one way or another, this is just there way to say, "Haha stupid customers, how about we just let everyone become a jedi and make you all poor and have to grind and mission all day, muahahaha."

dude were did you ge that pic at. can i have link plz

• JermaiJermai Member Posts: 7

lol i see peeps in 19 area and 25 area of hprofs done, the key is this

lets say u get 4 holso then silent and ur first four are

Carbineer

entertainer

Artisan

and Dancer

Now your holos are a link to your silent meaning,  it wont be somthing like brawler or tkm or anythign  close to that because nothign connects.  but it could be musician or architect or a smithing prof or even amrksmen check for links

and btw, theres only one reason to get a jedi (Ebay)

• gardahgardah Member Posts: 1
    hologrinding only had a niche market until they decided to give em to everybody for xmas. pre-december hologrindiing didnt ruin the game, but post december hologrinding did. it was another case where people who had broken professions and still found a way to make money, i.e. hunting holos, were stabbed in the back by the decision to flood the market with holos. i know making money shouldnt have been the biggest factor in the game, but when top of the line armorsmiths were asking nearly one million credits for a full set of armor, those of us  who couldnt sell our goods for nearly that were left to find other ways to get some coin.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by bballermc333

Ok look at it this way there will probibly not be another jedi for a long time

Well, praise God!

It was silly seeing 20 Jedi run around Theede anyways

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• zexipherzexipher Member Posts: 19
    I didn't see a reason to drop my current progression and try for my holo profession. I find it irritating but I live with it.

• thepharaohthepharaoh Member Posts: 41

THANK GOD FOR THE LOSS OF HOLOS !!!!image

That was the main reason why I quit the game in the first place.  My guild raised a player city, participated in all 3 story arcs, and pvp'd the hell out of most of the planets.  After accomplishing that, my guild turned into a bunch of jedi-grinders.  What's the fun in that ? Our entire conversations were like this:

"Hey, geeknik, want to hunt rancors on Dathomir ?"

"Sorry, Autees, I'm grinding dancer becuz of my last holo."

I got sick of it. I lost interest and cancelled all my accounts.  Hopefully, if the space expansion ever comes out, the game will be a lot better.  With the new jedi mission system, I may just come back.  we'll see.

• AlrealAlreal Member Posts: 20

Thank god they are getting rid of Holocrons, it was an appalling decision to 1) Do the proffesion thing in the first place 2) Tell everyone 3) Give them away.

It ruined the economy, ruined the atmosphere in the main cities and cantinas hopefully going to a quest based system will make hte jounrey more fun for those interested and remove the afk players for the rest.

• huey89huey89 Member Posts: 75

Imagine the game full of Jedi.. good grief!  Why is being a Jedi so important? Probably because its so hard to obtain... I see this a good thing.. it limits certain folks dominating and exploting others, controlling markets.. etc.. If the Devs didn't put a check and balance system in the game, the career gamers would exploit the game, thus the game will be doomed to failure.

Play the game, and enjoy the journey, and be pleasantly surprised what your fruits of your labor produces.

• NihilxNihilx Member UncommonPosts: 141

The Jedi are what sets Star Wars apart from other run of the mill sci-fi epics. They are therefor the main attraction to the SW universe. I don't see anything wrong with a world full of Jedi. On the contrary, as long as it is made sure that other classes can compete, I think it could increase the role-play quality of the game and add an extra sort of combat system. Besides, once there are too many Jedi running around, people will automatically get bored with them after a while and want to play other professions.

AC (retired); EQ (retired); DAoC (retired); Horizons (retired); EQII (retired); CoH (retired); AC II (tested); Lineage II (beta); Neocron (tested); Saga of Ryzom (beta); SWG (retired)...

Hi

Well, I respectfully disagree, due to the fact of my experience on OMMRPG's, There are too many people out there that take advantage of the system.  Not all, but a good number of gamers love to cheat, and if there is a way to exploit the game, and take advantage of honest players, they will. There are already cheats going on in Star Wars with regards to macroing. 

I also understand your point, if you saturate the game with one profession, others will get bored and move on.. but, if you understand how the game is supposed to operate with all the species and occupations, you wouldn't have a balanced society.  Star Wars isn't all based on Jedi, its based on the wars between the Republic and the Mandalorians, Empire, etc...  Jedi are a catalyst within a much larger part of the universe.  The story emphasizes on the Jedi, but the story line as a whole is a struggle between oppression from tyranny, and freedom.  So we all should be Jedi... who is going to be the architects to build our houses,  the musicians and dancers to heal battle fatigue, or the Doctors to treat injuries?  To me that doesn't sound very enjoyable, I can go out and by Knights of the Old Republic or Jedi Academy if I want to be in a world saturated with Jedi or Sith.   I'm just simply saying enjoy your profession and master it well, maybe your second or third character will be a Jedi. It's a great way to keep people interested in the game.  Of course this is my opinion, and I know not all will agree with it.

Thanks for the discussion tho! :)

• StarcrystalStarcrystal Member Posts: 11

Look the holocron system was so that not [i]everyone[/i] can up and become a jedi at the speed of light. The games not fun when every single person is the fricken thing.

The first 4 holos are easy, it took me 2 weeks to finish them.

Its the silent that kills everyone, because it can either take 1 profession, or all 33 to get it, its not supposed to be an easy task, it would completely undermine the purpose of the game,

And yeah getting rid of holo IMO is actually a good thing, as long as the quest is long and painful.image

-Ent

Agreed!  image