Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft beater?

Ive been trying to follow this game and i would like your opinions on it. Ive played World of Warcraft for about 18 months but it sometimes gets really boring, its the repetitive grind for gear to beat other people in worse gear in instanced battlegrounds which doesnt mean a damn at the end of the day, it has no impact on anything. This I am terribly bored of, and WAR has really peaked my intrest in what i think an MMORPG could be, do you think this could be a WoW beater?

Comments

• callmetobycallmetoby Member Posts: 302
    I dont' think anything is going to "beat" WoW. But I do think there are a lot of those like you (myself included) that really want an endgame far different from what WoW can offer. I also believe there are many ex-DAOC players out there that want to see something new from Mythic. As far as sheer numbers go, I don't see anything taking WoW out of the top spot for a good while, but I think there are a good number playing WoW at the moment out of sheer boredom and that are eager to find another outlet.

Also there is already a thread that was started recently on this subject. You can find it here.

• Hou-FistHou-Fist Member Posts: 16
    I gotta say that this might be the beater. Ive looked deep into this game and it seems like the RP is getting deep in this game, and all of the PVP gets alot. What i also see as it beating WoW is the fact that you can customize all most anything in this game, and the fact that it changes as you play. Go to the homepage and read the awesome PVP and classes.

And i doubt this is copying WoW, this was made way before it.

• Mstng9961Mstng9961 Member Posts: 85

I for one am a WoW hater, so in my book it "beats" it by a long shot image

But like what was mentioned, the website has great information.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

This game will be serious competition for WoW assuming a fair chare of players try it. After the Burning Crusade content has been eaten up and chewed out in 1-2 months time, players will be yearning for more. Since WAR aint coming out until Q4 2007 there will be lots of weary players.

WAR will no doubt feed our holiday hunger next year!image

• Distortion0Distortion0 Member Posts: 668
    I think WAR will beat WoW in your opinion just because character actions influence the world. I mean, you can take capitial cities, you can sick giants on your enemies. There's actual persistance here and I think that's what you're looking for.
  • ko1oko1o Member UncommonPosts: 117
    There is no way a mmorpg will beat WoW in customers for a long time. Have you seen the games coming out in 07? Darkfall will grab anyone who loves pvp and ex-shadowbane peeps, WAR will get warhammer fans and a lot of DaoC people, and probaly a lot of WoW fans since the gameplay looks the same(and yes it does, that's a complement). AoC looks pure bad @$$ and is the most hype mmorpg coming out so you know it will get a lot of people. I could keep going on... There is no way a game will get even close to WoW's customer numbers for a long time.

• elgidum666elgidum666 Member Posts: 18
    I agree with you 100%. This game is going to blow WoW away.
  • EldaElda Member Posts: 343

Originally posted by elgidum666
    I agree with you 100%. This game is going to blow WoW away.
    no.

No game atm will be able to blow away WoW...

don't get me wrong, I love warhammer and I really look forward to play this, but no matter how good the game will be, WoW will stay popular and will keep a strong player base.

WAR can be popular too, or even more popular then WoW, but that won't mean the downfall of WoW.

• sealgairsealgair Member Posts: 8
    If they are saying Q4 of 07 it will more than likely be Q1 of 08.
  • EldaElda Member Posts: 343

Originally posted by sealgair
    If they are saying Q4 of 07 it will more than likely be Q1 of 08.
    well with most companies I would think the same. But somehow I'm think Mythic will manage that date. It seems like they're ahead of the shedule right now. Of course at some point there will be some problems along the road, but I really think that it wont be delayed for months...

Not that I care much anyway, because around that time I'll probably be in Australia for half a year, so the later release the better for me, so that I don't miss too much ;)

Merry Christmas (a)

• PantasticPantastic Member Posts: 1,204

Originally posted by ko1o
    Darkfall will grab anyone who loves pvp and ex-shadowbane peeps,

I seriously doubt that. While Darkfall will grab people who like 'hardcore' PVP with its gank-and-loot mechanics, it has zero appeal to the kind of PVPers that are interested in good PVP fights and not the mix of gank PVP and PVE grinding to replace losses that Darkfall promises. I think Warhammer is set up much better to appeal to real PVPers, Darkfall (if it ever comes out) can take the few people obsessed with gank-and-loot.

You should read more about Darkfall before saying it's a gank, loot fest....

Originally posted by ko1o
    You should read more about Darkfall before saying it's a gank, loot fest....

What exactly should I read about it, and why should I ignore what the developers of the game have said about it? It's a full-loot, fight anyone anywhere game according to them, which means it's about gank-and-loot PVP, not interesting fights. Like other gank-and-loot games, people overall won't actually spend most of their gametime fighting, they'll spend far more time grinding out gear to replace looted losses.

While the gank-and-loot crowd likes to pretend that they're the only PVPers, no one with an ounce of sense actually believes that.

Full-loot will be bad @$$ I must say(different, but it wont make the care bears happy I guess...). Crafting system is suppose to be one of the best in any game(you can craft anything that you find). Fight anyone anywhere... no levels so it requires skill to kill people, ganking will be hard unless the other player is new or out numbered(like every game cept this one will require more skill to play). Just about every mmorpg with pvp has ganking and this one will be no different, sure it wont have all the kids from WoW going to it(other games can have them anyways image). From what they say about the game, this will be the best pvp and gvg game. That doesn't mean it will be though. image

You don't seem to understand the basic point - the gank-and-loot PVP model does not appeal to most PVPers, just to a small and obnoxiously loud subset of PVPers. From what the devs say about the game, players will have to spend more time PVE grinding to replace losses than they will in actual PVP fights just like other gank-and-loot games. I don't know what standard you're using for 'best pvp' game, but by my standards no game in which players have to PVE grind in order to engage in PVP qualifies as even good.

Like I said, Darkfall will appeal to the gank-and-loot crowd, but it's clear that that's not the majority of PVP players, much less all PVP players.

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Darkfall? Vaporware. You read it here first.
    And if for some reason they actually release the client, in a desperate attempt to recoup development costs, it's gonna make Shadowbane look like WoW.

No, WAR will not dethrone WoW. It might draw some of the PvP crowd away, but not enough to make a difference to Blizzard.

Back when DAoC released, everyone said EQ was done, and yet, EQ is still chugging along. So's UO, for that matter. Even Horizons manages to limp along. I think the only game that released that has actually had the plug pulled is AC2, and that had nothing to do with any other game.

If I had to name a game that WAR stood to topple, it'd be DAoC.

• linuxgamerlinuxgamer Member Posts: 126
    If War is done right, the estimates are 500k subscribers at launch. I believe they have already put the heat on WoW because of the drastic BC and 2.0 changes that have been made. The recent changes were to encourage open world PvP by eliminating DHKs. WoW is scurrying to make changes and hold on to their subscriber base as they slip through their fingers like grains of sand.

• ohlmsjmohlmsjm Member UncommonPosts: 4

Unfortunately, it's very VERY unlikely that anyone of the MMO's coming out will topple the sheer success that Blizzard has had. WoW is just too damn easy to pick up and play despite it's short livelyhood in terms of end-game.

WAR is a different game (imho) and will provide ME (personally) with something that I have been searching for in an MMO and that's something more competitive.

Will it topple WoW? Who cares! If it's fun, and I feel it's worth my $15/ month then it's worth playing.

• danno1984danno1984 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by linuxgamer

If War is done right, the estimates are 500k subscribers at launch. I believe they have already put the heat on WoW because of the drastic BC and 2.0 changes that have been made. The recent changes were to encourage open world PvP by eliminating DHKs. WoW is scurrying to make changes and hold on to their subscriber base as they slip through their fingers like grains of sand.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486
    It's nearly impossible to blow away a game with 7.5million subscribers. It hasn't even reached it's peak yet, when the Chines begins to play the game they will get thousands or even millions of more players. Do not expect the unexpected, cause the chance of it happening is to small.

• bonafideebonafidee Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Godliest

It's nearly impossible to blow away a game with 7.5million subscribers. It hasn't even reached it's peak yet, when the Chines begins to play the game they will get thousands or even millions of more players. Do not expect the unexpected, cause the chance of it happening is to small.

China is already playing Warcraft, 3 million of the 7 million Warcraft players are from Asian, alot being Chinese.

Personally i think warcraft is hitting its peak in terms of subscribers

• TruthseekerTruthseeker Member Posts: 370

I don't know what all these carebears around have with their corpse being looted. Geez, give me a break !!! This is a game and if you don't like it, farewell, others will enjoy it. As for WAR being WoW beater, it will surely have a huge impact because of the crappy policy, design, community managers, lore destruction (I know that things are meant to evolve but shaman in alliance and paladin in horde is poor design and lazy development), etc...

In fact people stick to the game because of friends/guild and nothing else. Take a look this : Welcome to hardcore,and tell me why there is no blue response to this post. The OP is right and the company will never say that they made a mistake, because after all, it is their game. And the problem is here. WoW is Blizzard's game and not the players' game. Players are asking for world PVP ? Ok, give them battlegrounds. Players want casual content ? Ok, give them 40-man raid content. Players want some skills/bugs to be fixed ? Don't do it, and hotfix all exploits within 24 hours. Players want some old skill to be brought back, some useless skills to be upgraded ? Allright, piss them all off and never tell them why patch after patch. They are pissing off their player base on a daily basis. At least, ArenaNet listen to their players (Hero battles = solo PVP content since it is hard to stick with a guild, and in January solo Hero tournaments) and so is doing Darkfall developpers, who, by the way, were also gamers.

Players feel the great potential of the "easy to jump into" gameplay provided with the game, and don't understand what are the reasons behind the lead designers choices. You should also think of this : why don't blizzard wow site ever mention mmorpg.com ? Because they don't want their players to see what veteran mmo-gamers think. Why don't they allow polls on their forum (which by the way is not free, if you don't have an active account, you can't post) ? Because they don't care about what players think. If Mythic is better at listening and communicating to their players, than WAR will definitively beat WoW. I also have to mention that on Blizzard forums, players were not used to talk of over games and comparing them. It is quite frequent today.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486
    Originally posted by bonafidee

Originally posted by Godliest

China is already playing Warcraft, 3 million of the 7 million Warcraft players are from Asian, alot being Chinese.

Personally i think warcraft is hitting its peak in terms of subscribers

You have got it wrong, many of the peoples in china can't afford to play WoW. There are actually around 4 millions who play WoW in Asia, but the most of them are from Korea. I think WoW is far from reaching it's peak.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    WOW is the Mcdonalds of the MMORPG world. The release of WAR will hurt WOW no more than the opening of a fine dining restaurant hurts the fast food establishment, millions of people will still line up to eat that crap every day.
  • MercscytheMercscythe Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by newbinator

WOW is the Mcdonalds of the MMORPG world. The release of WAR will hurt WOW no more than the opening of a fine dining restaurant hurts the fast food establishment, millions of people will still line up to eat that crap every day.

Amen man, well put.  WAR may never beat WoW in numbers, and as I have said before, I hope it doesn't.  Like someone just said, WoW is so popular because it is easy to get into and easy to play.  WoW is all about time investment, not skill.  Most new players don't know how the endgame will be, so when they get there, they get slapped in the face.  Now, I don't know why they push on, I suppose because they think "Well, I got this far, why not?"  I play WoW now just to eat up time till something better comes out.  So, we can only hope that WAR's gameplay far surpasses WoW and that the jerks and morons from WoW are too stuck up to admitt they were wrong and join in.