Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh well

EiaeEiae Member Posts: 61

Been through every other online game, so thought I might try out this one. Downloaded a client from the official link and started patching. Turns out the client is very old and requires heaps of patches. The patcher keeps stalling and have to be restarted, which I have done about 50 times. Tried downloading a newer client (5.0), but it stopped downloading half way through, so I gave up.

For the record, I have never had any problems downloading the 30ish other online games I've been playing.

It reeks of bad quality assurance, so I give up on trying it out. Pretty miserable they do not even update the clients they want new people to download.

Comments

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217
    Everytime I went back to UO, I installed it with the most recent game. If you installed for example, LBR, then you would patch through many years worth of updates. There's nothing wrong with the updater, it's down to your choice of install CDs.

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• EiaeEiae Member Posts: 61

Did you read my post? I downloaded the client from the official homepage, no CDs involved. It has nothing to do with what I do. Purely bad quality. image

Fortunately, the competition is so fierce these days that games with so bad QA will die slowly. The days of the bugridden games are numbered.

Originally posted by Eiae

Did you read my post? I downloaded the client from the official homepage, no CDs involved. It has nothing to do with what I do. Purely bad quality. image
    Fortunately, the competition is so fierce these days that games with so bad QA will die slowly. The days of the bugridden games are numbered.

Apologies, I misread. Either way, I have a friend who downloaded the trial only weeks ago. The game is far from bugridden. Hell, I was standing next to him at the time, took just over an hour and a half to finish.

Hmm, I suppose I express myself extremely vague. I meant bugridden games in general, haven't been able to try UO yet. I even typed games in the plural and did not mention UO per se in order to emphasize that it was a comment about bugridden games in general. Sorry for confusing you.

I am glad your friend had no problems, but that doesn't help me much, does it? Neither do your comments, to be honest. Fact of the matter and my point is that the company behind this game is doing a bad job at QA, which I am not willing to pay a monthly fee for.

Hmm, I suppose I express myself extremely vague. I meant bugridden games in general, haven't been able to try UO yet. I even typed games in the plural and did not mention UO per se in order to emphasize that it was a comment about bugridden games in general. Sorry for confusing you.
    I am glad your friend had no problems, but that doesn't help me much, does it? Neither do your comments, to be honest. Fact of the matter and my point is that the company behind this game is doing a bad job at QA, which I am not willing to pay a monthly fee for.

Actually, my comments do help you. My friend was perfectly capable of installing, patching and playing the trial. Therefore we can easily say that you are having some problems on your end, and that it is not on EA's.

• spexzspexz Member Posts: 28
    The trial is working with no problems... must been something on ur connection or computer at that time being..

I can't easily say that, so speak for yourself.

I just tried patching again and your comments still haven't helped me one bit. Please post an actual solution to the problem if you have one.

No problem at my end, I can download and patch EQ, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Ryzom, AO, AA, CoH, DAoC, GW, TMO, Planetside, SB, SO, SWG, WWiiOL etc. plus a heap of single player games and non-mmo online games with no problems whatsoever.

Besides, other people are posting in other forums about similar problems. UO support even made a guide trying to help solve the problem at their webpage. So, I guess your conclusion is based on insufficient data, unless you are a UO supporter/developer or employed at my ISP and have seen what is actually going on with the patching process while my client gets updated.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    wow, did you guys get that latest patch?!?!  Awsome xmas stuff.

Oh, sorry...I dunno....must be something wrong with you computer or something

=D  Jk, wish I could help, I don't know what could be wrong.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038

Fortunately, the competition is so fierce these days that games with so bad QA will die slowly.

Unfortunately this is not the case at all.  There is very littly competition for these games actually.  Thats why there are so many game developers with games that have so many problems.  Many gamers including myself, have been waiting around for a year or more waiting for a decent game to come out.  We are forced to either play a buggy game, a game that is 10yrs old, or games without any substance at all.  So much for competition. If the competition was so fierce I seriously doubt you would need to play 20 different games.  Surely one of them would kept your interest?
  • zazoiezazoie Member Posts: 25

For $19 you can by 9th Ann. get all expansion packs and tons of in game goodies of your choice right off the bat...all problems solved and you get 30days with that $19...not free but all your hassles are solved...$19 seems worth the price for what you get just to try it...besides $19 seems worth it for game that has been around before most people knew what MMORPG meant. 

Take care