Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats next for SWG?

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
So now that the expertise system is completed do you think SWG will announce a new Expansion after the crafting revamp?

Comments

• XcathdraXcathdra Member CommonPosts: 1,027

Originally posted by Lateris
    So now that the expertise system is completed do you think SWG will announce a new Expansion after the crafting revamp?

I doubt it.. The crafters / entertainer have been pushed to the back of the burner because they dont know how to integrate them into the mess they have created. Constantly tearing stuff down to build it back up (reinventing the wheel) doesnt work in the form they have chosen.  I would be suprised if they A. Do a crafter revamp, and B. Do it correctly..

Xcathdra

Having access to a billion $ IP - Billions of dollars..
    Having access to a massive fan base of said IP - Even more Billons...
    Singly handedly alienating them due to stupidity - Priceless.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Xcathdra

I doubt it.. The crafters / entertainer have been pushed to the back of the burner because they dont know how to integrate them into the mess they have created. Constantly tearing stuff down to build it back up (reinventing the wheel) doesnt work in the form they have chosen.  I would be suprised if they A. Do a crafter revamp, and B. Do it correctly..

Xcathdra

Catch up, Crafter and Ent revamp were announced for chapter 5 a month or two ago ;)

LA has also hinted at a new expansion for SWG next year.

• Daed710Daed710 Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Obraik
    Catch up, Crafter and Ent revamp were announced for chapter 5 a month or two ago ;)

When & where exactly has LA hinted at any new expansion for SWG in 2007?    Do you have any links to where LA has talked about this?    I would really like to read any such posts/articles/wotever, because I definitely havent seen anything yet that could point to any new expansion for SWG, ever, let alone in the next year. 

Im not flaming you, Im just genuinely curious, because imho I cant see this game surviving very far into 2007 in its current state, its dead already really, least in my observations ingame, so to hear about any plans for a new expansion is kinda shocking to me.

So please tell us where you've seen this "LA hinting at a new expansion" bit of info you spoke of, as Id really like to check it out for myself.    How about giving us some links to these purported "LA hints"?

"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now.
    We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

Xcathdra

LOL YOU  just told this fellow to catch up? Why dont you catch up, you seem to be one of the very few who have decided to stay left behind in the craptastic world of swg, move on and catch up to some better games obraik b4 telling other people to catch up.

playing eq2 and two worlds

Originally posted by Daed710

When & where exactly has LA hinted at any new expansion for SWG in 2007?    Do you have any links to where LA has talked about this?    I would really like to read any such posts/articles/wotever, because I definitely havent seen anything yet that could point to any new expansion for SWG, ever, let alone in the next year. 

Im not flaming you, Im just genuinely curious, because imho I cant see this game surviving very far into 2007 in its current state, its dead already really, least in my observations ingame, so to hear about any plans for a new expansion is kinda shocking to me.

So please tell us where you've seen this "LA hinting at a new expansion" bit of info you spoke of, as Id really like to check it out for myself.    How about giving us some links to these purported "LA hints"?

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/nov2006/id20061122_709907.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_innovation+%2Bamp%3B+design

Second heading, 5 paragraph.

Originally posted by boognish75

Xcathdra

LOL YOU  just told this fellow to catch up? Why dont you catch up, you seem to be one of the very few who have decided to stay left behind in the craptastic world of swg, move on and catch up to some better games obraik b4 telling other people to catch up.

Yes, because that has everything to do with this discussion. 

• RipperLordRipperLord Member Posts: 58
    Cool new add-on for SWG, VERY EXCITING image

I highly doubt this game is dead, they wouldnt be selling it, having events and upgrades (expertise). Also they wouldnt of bothered releasing SWG in Australia, and yes Ill be getting and playing it as soon as it falls in hands. I am glad that they now released the game in Australia and Tasmania (possibly New Zealand but I am not sure), and thats where the real players will hop into the game. They just needed to release the game globally for retail to get more players like WoW. I have played this game in NGE state and I loved it, all these conversations on how it is crap now and dead wont stop me from playing the game on and on.

P.S. Obraik see you on Chilestra as soon as I get the game, yet I donno your character names. Anyway I'll ask you on Xfire when I get the game.

P.P.S. WoW sucks and is boring and just another rip off of its lame adn repitive Warcraft series. (btw I got Warcraft 3 and its one of the worst strategy games ever!)

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

Originally posted by RipperLord

Yes yes. I think the Titanic's deck chairs should be rearranged like this. It's much better, and the feng shui is screaming "fortune" and "good luck".

We all know what "new" and "cool" translate into from SOEse.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

Originally posted by kimosabe

Yes yes. I think the Titanic's deck chairs should be rearranged like this. It's much better, and the feng shui is screaming "fortune" and "good luck".

We all know what "new" and "cool" translate into from SOEse.

ah what?

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/nov2006/id20061122_709907.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_innovation+%2Bamp%3B+design

Second heading, 5 paragraph.

Thanks for the link :) was a good read too

And after reading the entire thing, paying special attention to the part you mentioned and the rest of the StarWars IP related stuff, Im not sure that I can come to the same conclusion as you did, that it's hinting towards a new expansion for SWG next year.

Heres the paragraph you mentioned...

"She adds, “There will be one mega one like Star Wars ’07 and another that might be somewhat more specific, for more of a specific Star Wars audience. So in 2007 our primary goal will be Star Wars ’07 and you will see us do add-ons to our Star Wars Galaxies (MMO) and you will likely see us do some sort of Star Wars handheld game.”"

Apparently youre talking about the line "...you will see us do add-ons to our Star Wars Galaxies (MMO)..." when you spoke of LA hinting at a new expansion for SWG next year.   Now, I guess I can see where you're coming from, we all read into things a little differently, but I kinda think thats stretching it a little when it comes to that statement.

When I read that statement what came to mind for me was "finish expertise", not "new expansion".    I mean, if she meant expansion, I think she would have just said "expansion" as thats a commonly used word in the gaming industry when referring to that kinda thing.   And that statement also made me think of the similarly vague comment made in the SWG:Complete ad on the official SW site...

"In addition, Star Wars Galaxies subscribers will automatically receive a series of game updates that are scheduled to be released by LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment throughout the remainder of 2006 and into 2007, filled with new gameplay enhancements."

I didnt see any hints at expansion in either statement really, and both sounded similar to me, in that they seem to be referring to finishing expertise, fixing the bugs, etc, like theyve been talking about ever since the NGE hit the fan and they told us they'd dropped the expansion in favor of fixing the current game.    Also, when reading the rest of the article, I found the following comments to be very interesting, especially with all the mad speculation over Biowares MMO these days...

MacIntyre continues, “We’ve also got Star Wars franchises like Knights of the Old Republic and Battle Front that we will not leave behind. It’s very important to us that we grow those franchises.” So the future of Star Wars includes new and old game-based IP as well as IP based on other spin-offs.

Star Wars 07 will be a new brand, but MacIntyre says there will be no ‘core’ Star Wars branded games. This game will sit alongside KOTOR and Battle Front.

So, I guess we're both entitled to see whatever we like in those statements, but Im just not seeing "new expansion for SWG" in any of it really.   I mean, I could stretch things a little too and say the comment "and another that might be somewhat more specific, for more of a specific Star Wars audience" means they're hinting at giving us back PreCU servers next year, but Im not, because I know its mainly wishful thinking on my part.

Basically, I guess it just comes down to my PreCU tinfoil hat versus your NGE fanboy beergoggles, as they both are causing us to see 2 completely different things when reading the exact same comments.

"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now.

Everything in life is down to individual interpretation ;)  You have your theory I have mine.  Publishes or expansions, I don't really care lol.

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

Originally posted by boognish75

Xcathdra

You might think it's not a good game but that's your opinion.

If we didn't like the game, then yeah, we would move on as you suggest.

I wouldn't waste my time posting in a specific game forum of a game I hated.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Hmmm add-on says something like an action pack not a full expansion, the trouble is she's just to vague.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

I highly doubt this game is dead, they wouldnt be selling it, having events and upgrades (expertise). Also they wouldnt of bothered releasing SWG in Australia, and yes Ill be getting and playing it as soon as it falls in hands. I am glad that they now released the game in Australia and Tasmania (possibly New Zealand but I am not sure), and thats where the real players will hop into the game. They just needed to release the game globally for retail to get more players like WoW. I have played this game in NGE state and I loved it, all these conversations on how it is crap now and dead wont stop me from playing the game on and on.

By all means, enjoy SWG while it lasts, I have no desire to keep you from playing SWG if you enjoy doing so, I also used to love playing SWG, but I also think the current NGE version of the game pales in comparison to the PreCU version of the game, and I'd say the majority of the SWG community agrees with me on that subject.

My comment about SWG being dead is based solely on my opinion, and youre of course entitled to have a different one.    My opinion is based on what I see while playing Ahazi, so I cant speak for all servers.   But I do know that Ahazi used to be one of the most populated servers in the game, and its a ghost town now compared to what it used to be.   And trust me, if the PreCU population level wasnt big enough for SOE/LA, then I seriously doubt that the current NGE population is anywhere near what they were expecting or wanted.    Its a simple numbers game to them, and if they considered PreCU a failure, then the NGE is a friggin disaster.

But I will admit, if you didnt play the game PreCU then you're much more likely to enjoy playing the current NGE version of the game now.    But for those that played through all the revamps, all the lies and promises by SOE, all the endless nerfs and gameplay changes, and the mass exodus of a once great community, most of us just cant help but compare it to PreCU, and in comparison the game is currently dead, at least imho.     And while Im glad you guys now have access to SWG, Im afraid all the new subs in Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand combined wont be enough to save this sinking ship.   

But in the end, who knows eh, this game has never ceased to shock me, and has rarely followed any sort of logical progression, so I guess we'll all just have to wait and see exactly how much of a future SWG has left, but my guess atm would have to be... "not much"

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

There is no doubt in my mind that SOE walked over their fan
    base in regards to SWG. We all know they have which is a shame. But given the
    recent expertise’s system it is a step in the right direction. But I also
    remember that JTL was reviewed as a step in the right direction.

The article that was written about the ad on’s. This most likely refers to the new
    expertise system, the crafter revamp, and the entertainers revamp. But I
    hope that this would also refer to an added "free expansion". They
    need it. They also need a classic server. I would like to see things turn
    around for this game.

I would also like to design a new star wars MMORPG. Any
    programmers need work…for free? LOL

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Not a chance.

You need a larger player base to do this actually and show a chance of a profit.

By all the statements said from the producers, you should hope that they just keep it running.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406
    nerfed and lied to? and shown the door if you dont like it. thats what SOEs new and cool ideas mean to me anyways
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

We 'were' lied to but more important, I would accuse that we are 'still' being lied to. Peel away the GUI called NGE and you have PreCU SWG. No Jedi, the thing called Jedi now is a variant of Scout/ Pike combo with a Light saber effect, most of the specials are disabled or not in the templates. There were low level pike skills that did similar damage to the Jedi specials we have now, if you used them with a higher level weapon. Something we never really did because we had the level3 of that line of specials. We are all cl60 or so characters in PreCU with generic Doc buffs and some other mods stapled to our characters that are now forced up specific branches of the old base professions.

All this is neither here or there but debases the argument we can't have classic servers. NGE is PreCU with various things turned on and off, all placed under a second GUI. There is no format conflict. The problem with PreCU is you could create any of the 9 charater variations now known as proffs in a classic and identify them as very bad choices in the use of the 250 points the PreCU system was based on.

On Crafting, we can assume data cubes for the holo pets will be in the mix, that's almost given. DNA samples may be brought back to bring this in. Nothing was really locked out of crafting. Parts were made inert and there could be a reintroduction of bonus to parts added. There are loads of options open to the devs. When I quit just after NGE was launched, ca's were still in the game and were based on the new names of the stats. You could get a stamina ca or a strength AA, so the they were put in the NGE, they were disabled for some reason. A ca/aa recycler and loot drop recyclers could be added that produce parts for the crafters. Food and drink are open for improvement, new houses to compete with bunkers.

I would like to see them introduce an AI investment system. AI guilds that offer schems for crafters of the various fields that are based on both credit and crafted investment in those guilds and have those AI stations work influence in the over all game. If a player base invests XXX million credits and or millions of crafted resources into AI guild 'Wattos speeder parts' it improves in value and opens new tech in the form of better schems for those product. Spin it off the GCW graduate system and add neglected decay etc. I don't know if SOE dev team have the resources to get this creative but it would rebuild the economy now gone.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by free2play
    We 'were' lied to but more important, I would accuse that we are 'still' being lied to. Peel away the GUI called NGE and you have PreCU SWG.  sorry but out of the question !
    All this is neither here or there but debases the argument we can't have classic servers. NGE is PreCU with various things turned on and off, all placed under a second GUI. There is no format conflict. The problem with PreCU is you could create any of the 9 charater variations now known as proffs in a classic and identify them as very bad choices in the use of the 250 points the PreCU system was based on. Seems you have not played pre-cu as we had 30+ profs divated into 250 points wich i really can not see as that they made the 9 profs what the 30+ profs where once.I said this before and pre-cu came as close as a reall MMORPG could be unfortunly the FPS/singleplayers fanbase ruined the life wich you could have in a MMORPG and made it into a MMOG !

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by Reklaw

Originally posted by free2play

We 'were' lied to but more important, I would accuse that we are 'still' being lied to. Peel away the GUI called NGE and you have PreCU SWG.  sorry but out of the question !

All this is neither here or there but debases the argument we can't have classic servers. NGE is PreCU with various things turned on and off, all placed under a second GUI. There is no format conflict. The problem with PreCU is you could create any of the 9 charater variations now known as proffs in a classic and identify them as very bad choices in the use of the 250 points the PreCU system was based on. Seems you have not played pre-cu as we had 30+ profs divated into 250 points wich i really can not see as that they made the 9 profs what the 30+ profs where once.
    I said this before and pre-cu came as close as a reall MMORPG could be unfortunly the FPS/singleplayers fanbase ruined the life wich you could have in a MMORPG and made it into a MMOG !

Your making my point for me.

PreCU also had Jedi trees but you needed to unlock them. Just because you weren't a Jedi and didn't unlock Jedi, it wasn't there?

NGE is PreCU in a new GUI. Seems YOU don't get what GUI is. All 30 Proffs are still in the game. Just like Jedi in PreCU, they are locked out of the gui though. Only in NGE, there is no way to unlock them. Where do you think the expertise are coming from? They are simply unlocking the things that were and are there.

If you don't want to agree with me, don't but you can't spin this to look like I am wrong when I am right. Maybe I am wrong. Nothing you have said shows that. The fact is, the dev side right now could manage classic servers with no patches or support. They are working with the same system and the servers would only be different in what is locked and what is not.

• ManicJediManicJedi Member Posts: 68
    I played SWG from day one, I rember how exciteing everything things was running around trying to figure out what to do, and as the months went on I rember hanging out in coronet watching random raids happen with huge groups of rebs and imps, hell I rember when there was maby one or two jedi in the whole game.

Then people started bitching about jedi was to hard to get so the devs strated droping hints so then everyone started the jedi girnd. then they started btiching that was to hard.  Finely the devs it hink they caved and started makeing huge changes to the game, and thats when SWG started its slow and painful death. SWG is not dead I agree there are still people who are hanging on to the game in hopes that one day it will be fixed I was one of thos people untill 6 months ago when I just could not take it anymore and I finely ended my 4 year journy with that game (the longest I ever played a game) So like I SWG is not dead but it is Dieing a slow and painful death, and soon they will have to shut it down.

• nonexnonex Member Posts: 7

First up should be the crafter and entertainer revamp.

Then they'll probably start to rebalance proffessions

and maybe then just maybe we'll get an expansion

Greetz Nonex

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    I wonder if they will apply a revamp for player cities? Maybe allow player apartments in the NPC city?

• GunFodderGunFodder Member Posts: 28
    Wow, I can't believe that Nancy MacIntyre still HAS a job with Lucasarts, much less giving interviews concerning SWG's future. The simple fact that she's still in a position to open her trap on behalf of the company, shows just how much of a clue LA really has when it comes to their games and customers.