Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help writing game?

What are some guides, tutorials, books, advice, etc. for writing MMORPGs? I'd really like to write one but there's nothing on the topic anywhere!

~MMORPG23

Comments

• CeLL1978CeLL1978 Member Posts: 25
    imageimageimageimage

I dont know if I want to laugh or stare in awe. I work in a gaming
    industry and there is no easy "tutorial" way you write a MMO. You want
    to write MMO or you want to code one, or build one?

Id check Realmcrafter page if you are interested in simply building
    one, but if you want to write one make sure you have a
    division/army/department of people to work for you. image (it basically depends what quality are we talking about)

• mmorpg23mmorpg23 Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by CeLL1978
    imageimageimageimage

I dont know if I want to laugh or stare in awe. I work in a gaming industry and there is no easy "tutorial" way you write a MMO. You want to write MMO or you want to code one, or build one?
    Id check Realmcrafter page if you are interested in simply building one, but if you want to write one make sure you have a division/army/department of people to work for you. image (it basically depends what quality are we talking about)

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks. I'm not too good at these terms. image

~MMORPG23

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    If you're that passionate about it then you should check out the big names in the industry and see if they got any employment openings.  The best thing to do in the MMORPG industry is ride on the backs of those who are great, atleast till you can stand on your own.
  • rftakarftaka Member Posts: 26
    game faqs

Originally posted by 13matt12
    game faqs

Wha?! You mean see the FAQs? good idea. thanks!

~MMORPG23

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by mmorpg23
    What are some guides, tutorials, books, advice, etc. for writing MMORPGs? I'd really like to write one but there's nothing on the topic anywhere!

There's nothing on the topic anywhere because it's not something you can just sit down and do. It can't be done in an evening, a week, a month, or even a year. We're talking monster projects. Cities have been built and destroyed in the time it takes to write an MMO. This all assumes, as was mentioned above, that you have 50 or more people working under you as well. It's certainly not something you could sit down and do by yourself.

Originally posted by Aethios

There's nothing on the topic anywhere because it's not something you can just sit down and do. It can't be done in an evening, a week, a month, or even a year. We're talking monster projects. Cities have been built and destroyed in the time it takes to write an MMO. This all assumes, as was mentioned above, that you have 50 or more people working under you as well. It's certainly not something you could sit down and do by yourself.

Oh. Yeah. This discussion is really getting me no where. image I know I need a team, but I've seen some books on it.  I don't get this... image

~MMORPG23

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Oh. Yeah. This discussion is really getting me no where.image I know I need a team, but I've seen some books on it. I don't get this... image

Most of the books on "game development" are trash books written for people who really have no idea what they're looking for. My parents gave me one as a Christmas gift one year, because they thought I would like it. It was totally useless, and I resorted to using it to prop the window open.

If you really want to write a game, I suggest you learn about different programming languages, and then get some books on those languages specifically. It's still only the first in a LONG list of game development tasks, but it's a start, and should give you at least some idea of how massive this project really is.

Okay. Which is the best language(s) for writing games though? I know these:

Java

C++

Liberty BASIC

Python

ActionScript (it comes with Flash)

~MMORPG23

Originally posted by mmorpg23What are some guides, tutorials, books, advice, etc. for writing MMORPGs? I'd really like to write one but there's nothing on the topic anywhere!

Oh. Yeah. This discussion is really getting me no where.image I know I need a team, but I've seen some books on it. I don't get this... image

Most of the books on "game development" are trash books written for people who really have no idea what they're looking for. My parents gave me one as a Christmas gift one year, because they thought I would like it. It was totally useless, and I resorted to using it to prop the window open.
    If you really want to write a game, I suggest you learn about different programming languages, and then get some books on those languages specifically. It's still only the first in a LONG list of game development tasks, but it's a start, and should give you at least some idea of how massive this project really is.

I've seen some high-rated MMORPG-writing (creating, programming, whatever) books that look pretty good. Not trying to be argumentative, though.

Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX

Multiplayer Game Programming

Do those look good?

~MMORPG23

• darrenlcdarrenlc Member Posts: 37

Actually, there is a lot of good material out there.  However, I think you might want to get a little more specific with your interests before you dive in.  There is a lot involved in creating a game - especially an MMORPG.  Are you intending to design one fully yourself or are you simply wanting to learn about it?  Perhaps you would like to see what aspect of it interests you most.  For example, modeling, texturing, animating, coding, writing, composing, recording, planning, etc.

Do you have any experience doing anything at all?  You mention several programming languages (I would forget about ActionScript or Liberty Basic for an MMORPG), do you really have much experience with them?  How about with artwork?